Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 3-barter, Bonefeel 1+1
Hx: Emdey+1 Luka+0 Mr. Smith+0 Raven-2

The doctor gets to work, and I poke my head in there every once in while. Helpfulness and hindrance probably cancel each other out. I mouth the medical talk she spits out. It's got its own style to it, it rhythm. I think I can spew those words soon. I just need to click my mind over.

I know this guy. Know he laughed at me when my arm broke. I feel the old pain in it still. Never healed right. But I love all the people's on this earth, and I bet it was funny. If I was him I probably would have giggled. Well, I'm not giggling at him now, so maybe not. Either way I don't mind keeping him not dying. I wouldn't mind too much if I hosed up either, but Doctor was here to not-gently caress-up for me.

Once he's stable I wander back into the operating theater where we have J-blast. The place has some cool stuff in it. I make mental notes on what I need. I know I've seen pictures of stuff it doesn't have, maybe even scrounged a few things? Mostly took it apart for new stuff like the scannermajig though. I think I saw a magazine article on a CAT scanner. Principal should work for humans too. Even if we slice J-blast up blind, no reason to be blind forever.

What would it take to get some heavy duty diagnostic equipment in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
JJ
Hack-Xi hangs around for a while, but heads out after she figures out no-one in the infirmary is holding. You vaguely hear her say something about stopping by the workshop and playing the ‘fun’ kind of doctor, but your brainmeats are already starting to tick over.

RN is still keeping an eye on J-Blast, everything seem chill on that front. Looking around the operating theater, you make note of zapp feeds and load-bearing beams. Yeah, you could totally pimp out this place. I mean, you’d have to work out the specifics in you workshop, but you got an idea. First, you’d have to upgrade Doctor’s zapp feeds, you’d be drawing in some serious juice. That would take a few days and either some new panels or some jingle to bribe the PwrGas! assholes.

Then you’d need a week or so to sort through your electronica and put the proper pieces together and get them safely housed. Orrrr, you could try and scavenge full installations from the remains of Lady Torsa's hospital. Dangerous, but alot quicker. And you’d need another pair of skilled hands, that Merlin that works for Raven seems to know his bizness.
What do you do?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 3/5 | Barter-1

It's a nasty habit that I really hate when someone does it to me, but it works on my staff. I snap and point at RN: "He should be under observation for at least 24 hours but let's watch him until he's stable, and once you have a free moment talk to Xi about one of our many affordable payment plans." It's a bit of marketing talk, RN knows that he's supposed to try and weasel jingle out of them but to acquiesce to favors/IOUs if necessary. Other hand snaps and points at PA, then pointing an arm in the same direction i'm walking: "PA with me in the OR." I don't look back, I know he's right behind me with my kit hefted up on his forearms like he does, and head back to J-Blast and JJ.

JJ is obviously up to something, good or ill, so as PA continues with the previous prep on J-Blast I step over to JJ.

"Sorry about the delay, you ready?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
1/5 xp, 3-barter, Bonefeel 1+1

"Yeah! We can do our thing on this guy blind, but I was looking around and I bet I could pimp this place out in case we get more people with, like, stuff in them. Oh! And the harvest is about ready, so we got a ton of drugs coming in I guess. You want I should scavenge some stuff?"

I make chat and assist Emdey with her thing.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 3/5 | Barter-1

I follow JJs eyes as he is most likely envisioning something truly amazing happening in this room, a full body scanner would be absolutely outrageous, but they end up back on the operating table. I give PA a sincere nervous look as he goes through the last-minute double-checks.

"Remember your breathing, everything's going to be fine." I pull a mask up over my mouth and pull my gloves up extra far, learned a lesson about glove safety last time.

"Making the first incision, let's see what they did to the, the uh," I almost say 'spine' and catch myself, probably don't want to let him know what's happening back there until it's too late to turn back. "First incision up at C1, then I'll see where we go from there."

Spending another 2 stock for the exploratory surgery.
Poking Around in Guts: 2d6+2 6
Well, let's see that assist roll shall we?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●○○○» | 3-barter

"Thanks for the offer, but we can handle Crush." Raven tucks into her own food and is, for once, quiet for a bit. Once everyone's finished with breakfast, Raven kicks back from the table and hops to her feet. Her crew follows, Merlin clutching the drone to his chest like it's a child. Crow digs around in his pockets and leaves a tip, a little baggie of assorted shiny metal screws, and three instant tea bags in individual sealed packets. Less than the price of the meal, but well more than merely polite. Razzie can fight the Local for the bill, but Raven's crew makes a policy of not leaving the people at the bottom of the ladder in the lurch if they can help it.

Pays off in the long run.

Raven leads the way out, she and Crow fastening their masks back on. "I was going to drop in on Emdey, see if she had any suggestions for a place we could call our own. Unless you've got someplace we should check? Needs to be near the markets, secure, and livable. No offense, but the kind of dens your pack favors are a little rough for our tastes."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 3-barter

I use my scannermajig to help guide the surgery. As she cuts closer to the spine I grab Emdey's hand at the last minute. Her medical knowledge is a lot better than mine, but somehow I know. The object isn't just lodged to the spine, it's linked. Cut that wire wrong and the heart would have stopped.

Poke!: 2d6+1 11

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 17, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●○○○» | Barter-1

I finish my meal with Raven in companionable silence. As she drops some payment, Ifollow her example and leave behind some of the useless (to me) bits of Poco's gear as my own payment, a collapsible baton, and a shiny bottlecap necklace as a tip.

I follow along behind her, sticking close to Merlin and my catch. "I'll stick with y'all, haven't seen Emdey in a minute. And hey, there's a few sweet buildings near my place that aren't so busted up."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
1/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 5-Barter

Well, it's not like that won't come back to roost. "Send your boy around my joint an hour before sundown." Pause. "And I'm sure I'll see you soon, Crush." I'll need to engage Doctor, but she's probably busy, and It's not like I have a body to examine right now anyway. Wombat might prove useful with that camera, but we have to get it back first. Guess I'll wander back around towards Gozo, he'll probably want the report. Luka still smells.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Mr. Smith
Crush nods and ambles off, crowdbreaking through the mid-morning crush. You don’t have the same problem, people seem quite happy to give you a wide berth. Must be cause you’re such an upstanding fellow…

You hear the voices even before you enter the outer office. Gozo yelling is never a good sign, but there’s another voice too. Its odd and distorted, even more than the thick walls can account for. Sammi looks at you, fear in her eyes. You’ve seen Gozo’s ‘secretary’ stare down junkies and hitters, but the woman is practically cowering behind her desk. “Y-you’re gonna have to wait Mr. Smith, Mr. Gozo is taking a meeting.”

There’s a crash as something impacts the other side of the wall, inside the office. And that odd other voice, louder now, but still distorted.
“I do not care about your concerns and profit margins, you baseline scum. Do not disappoint us again.”
What do you do?

JJ and Doctor
(I figured you at least choose the ‘you find what you came for’ result, let me know what the second one was)

Its tense, made tenser by J-Blast’s screaming when the nerveblok has to power-cycle. He’ll live, and after a few weeks he might actually be able to get out of bed again. What you find is even worse than the screaming though…

The two of you have done your fair share of prosthetics work, so you had some idea of what you would find. Oh dear god, how wrong you were. There were no wires or cables or servos or circuit boards. There was just a mass of writhing metallic strands wrapped around his bones and organs. You’d almost think them organic if it weren't for the readings the scannermajig picked up. The entirety of J-Blast’s motor-control areas were infiltrated, with branches into the internal organs.

You manage to get a few samples, a few of the strands are looser than the rest. You realize that there are more in him than required, and something else makes sudden, horrible sense. J-Blast’s bones are oddly pitted, and his organs smaller, looser than they should be. These things are riding him around like a meat bicycle, and are slowly consuming him to reproduce.
What do you do?

Raven and Luka
“Bicycles? Why didn’t you say something? Here at Shitface Cycles, we have all the rides you could possibly want. Tough-bikes, fast-bikes, haulers, and luxers. We’ve got gun mounts, carry-bags, sidecars and shields. All assembled on-site from the finest of Heap-scav and Before-Time plans. You got something specific and customy in mind M’dame, or would you like to browse our fine pre-assed stock? I’m so proud of my bikes, if you aren’t satisfied, I’ll shoot the stupid rear end in a top hat worker that built it! Who else is going to give you that kind of guarantee?”

So it seems you aren’t fond of the idea of walking everywhere, and Shitface’s place does have a good rep in the Heap for bikes that may not be pretty, but they’ll not leave you in a lurch. You gonna take a look around Raven, maybe try and haggle a bit?
(Raven feel free to make either flavor of barter move to get some bikes, depending on how you approach the transaction)

[b]Luka, you may or may not be interested in man-form transportation, but something does catch your attention. A whiff of something… clean? New? Its hard to describe, but there’s something here that isn’t caked in decades of dirt, poo poo, and Waste-dust.
What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

I ignore the haggling, my own "flexible" situation means I can get around just as fast and over rougher terrain than a bike. drat thing'd just slow me down. That scent though...that's interesting.

I meander through the shop, making as though I'm checking out the bikes, but my attention is focused on what my nose tells me. I got no reason to be suspicious, just indulging my curiousity at this point as I make my way closer...

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 3-barter

"Woooow! So now we gotta put him in Faraday cage right? See if we can slow them with, like, electrical impulses. Then find a way to subvert these little guy's programming so they respond to a local signal wired from his meat brain instead of the Signal blanketing the city. Gotta stop them from reproducing too or they'll eat everything. He can still live a long life as a nanotech cyborg! Maybe! I think most of his organs are already dead though so maybe his brain doesn't really work anymore either."

Once I have a strand 'safely' contained in a little stoppered vial I look up and grin at Emdey, "Man, being a doctor is so cool! You crack a man open and what do you find? The best poo poo!"

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 3/5 | Barter-1 | Angel Stock - 1

Sorry about that, I'll go with no harm on poor J-Blast and have to use up an extra Stock in the ol' kit, which I believe brings me down to 1.

I try my best to not panic when I first find what's infiltrated the patient's body but that can only go so far, naturally I'm a professional so I finish the job but by the end I have severe tunnel vision and my hearing has been reduced to a dull roar combined with some serious tinnitus. I just shut out the world as i'm spreading the meatmesh over his ripped up spinal cord, aligning his skin and sewing it back up like you do, then I'm out. PA handles the bandaging and the post-surgery care and I'm off washing up. This time nothing managed to get under my gloves but something certainly got under my skin in a manner of speaking. Hopefully with the patient stitched up and the samples gathered from him safely out of sight in the lab I can forget about this for at least a few choice minutes.

I hear a few words of what JJ is saying and after a little water splashed on my face I take him by the shoulder and mosey out of the OR so J-Blast can have some privacy.

"JJ this is something incredibly serious and I...I'm not sure what else can be done here." I grab the bridge of my nose in an ingrained stress response and grip until I get my head on straight again. "Let's get him loaded up, I feel this is more a job for your workshop than the Infirmary at the moment. I also was hoping I could get some of the poppies you're growing for the lab, after all this," I wave a loose hand back towards the OR and towards where RN is watching over my other patient, "I am lacking on supplies."

I give him a weak smile, "Hey so something interesting happened right? You're always going on about how I need to spice up my life a little, so here we are."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●○○» | 3-barter

"I am a woman of specific needs and particular taste, Mr. Shiftface. I need something rugged, reliable, and light, in that order. Ideally something that can be carried across rough ground. And I need at least four of them. You have anything like that?"

Rolled the +sharp version. Ugh. At least I get an XP. Really should have spent the barter to speed it on its way.
Barter, Bustling Market: 2d6 6

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 3-barter

"Did I say that? Well that was before I knew people like this fella walk in your front door! Usually I gotta head to the wastes to find something this weird! If we can get him secured to the bed in the van I'll drive him over, get him situated, then bring the stuff. I've also been thinking, maybe we ought to scavenge the hospital. Bet there's still stuff there worth grabbing!"

I'll need to convert that broken down elevator in the shop into a Faraday cage. Maybe a physical cage in case those things get wise.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

"Right, I trust you as a...cybernetic consult in this case. Let's go see how PA is holding up and get him into the van, we can use the same restraints if you promise to bring them back."
I trust JJ but it is important to remind him in case he gets distracted. As we're walking back towards the OR I finally let out a long breath, as things seem to be okay for now.

"I have to stock up my kit, I'll help you get him loaded in the van and you drop me off at the market?" A real smile now, shopping for supplies will be a cake walk compared to what has happened so far.

Well the one Faraday cage i've seen in real life was built like a bank vault so the two go hand in hand.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
You poke around Shitface Cycles a bit, and eventual end up in the back room, on the production floor. Half a dozen sweaty and grimy folks disassembling scrap and reassembling it into a variety of bikes. That big dude that hangs out at Jane’s Girl’s, what was his name again? He comes over, looking like he’s gonna give you the boot before he recognizes you.
“Hey man, how you been? Iffin you’re looking for a bike, ya gots to talk to Shitface or one of his salesdudes, he doesn’t like the rubes to be back here.”
Your nose points your eyes up towards the back wall, to the zapp-box and its tangle of lines. Sitting in the rat’s nest is a small plastic-y ball, doing who-knows-what. But that’s the source of the newsmell.
What do you do?

Raven
Shitface smiles widely and compulsively adjusts his tie as you lay out your specifications. “Ah, M’dame, you are truly a discerning customer. What you have described is what we here like to call the ‘Trans-Heap Special’. One of our best-selling models, always in short supply. I do have half a dozen ready, but they are unfortunately custom orders for M’ter Deep and his crew. They are over there awaiting pickup if you’d like to make sure that the model would suit you needs. Should take only a week or two to get the parts in for four more.” Shitface has pointed out a six-pack of nice-looking bikes set out by the front of his shop. You think he’s about to launch into another long-winded sales pitch when there is a crash from other side of the show-room. Looks like a twitcher has blundered into a rack of merchandise.
“My apologies, M’dame, I must attend to this. Feel free to browse, and if you would like to order some THSs for your use, speak to Raul at the desk.” He scurries off to deal with the mess of made of his merchandise.

Now, it looks like they don’t have what you need here. Except for those nice shiny bikes sitting out, ready to go. With everyone distracted by the floor show of Shitface beating up some blitzed-out twitcher, you could probably be half-way across the Heap before anyone noticed the bikes were gone. Granted, Shitface and Deep would be fairly angry. Do you know this Deep fellow?
What do you do?

JJ and Doctor
JJ, that old elevator car is practically a no-signal cage as it is. Shouldn’t take more than an hour to reinforce the grounding wires and weld some restraint-points/latch-bars. You can practically taste the pie its as easy as.

PA has finished up the post-op, and J-Blast is in surprisingly good shape for what he went through. Not going to be outrunning Order patrols, but he’s able to move himself a little as you load him into the van. Dozes of as you get underway though.

So Scrapper’s is the closest market on JJ’s way home. Not alot of dedicated medical supplies, but you can usually find some stock. And Gonad does lay out his wares there on occasion. As JJ pulls up to drop you off Doctor, you both see Raven and crew poking around in Shitface Cycles. And some sort of… hang-glider? perched on the edge of the roof. Huh, wonder what that’s all about?
What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

"Hey man, I don't mean no trouble, but before I go..." I point to the ball plugged into the electric box, "What's that thing?"

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

I'm definitely intrigued, but I also need supplies pretty badly so I think I'll shop as normal but try to keep within line of sight of this situation in case it escalates to something more directly interesting.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 3-barter

I drop off Doctor, "hey, I'm gonna put this guy somewhere safe and also get our flowers to use with the medical stuff. Maybe you can see if anybody wants to scavenge the old hospital with me? 'm sure the working stuff is gone but there should still be some nice broken stuff. I'll be back in like an hour and a half to pick you up!"

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
The dude… Duke! that’s his name! Duke shrugs. “hosed if I know. One of Rolfball’s goons brought it down from the Baybridge last week to pay for a shitload of parts. Its supposed to dilute the zapp or somesuch, make it last longer before we need a refill from PwrGas!. Shitface is happy with it, I think he got bamboozled though.”
From the front of the shop comes the sound of lots of poo poo getting knocked over, followed shortly by the sound of someone getting their poo poo pounded in. Duke and the other workers crowd around the door, cheering on their boss.
What do you do?

Doctor
(Finding medical supplies in Scrapper’s Market is tricky, so tell me how much you’re looking for and roll the +sharp barter move)

JJ
The workshop has cooled down significantly, and you hear only a few beeps and boops from the electronica collection. And just being under the scraper-wreck seems to be helping J-Blast’s disposition. You get the elevator car fixed up into a dead-zone holding cell and get your first subjectguest settled in without an issue. As you are getting the poppy milk ready for transport, you hear a sudden burst of static from the electronica, and then an audio signal cuts in:
“Victor Fiver-Niner calling Victor Actual. Signal lock acquired on the blinded eye, grid cords two-one by eight-seven. Looks like one of the scavenger hives in the old mission district. What are your orders Ac-” The signal cuts back into static and then beeps.
What do you do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●○○» | 3-barter

Raven eyes the unattended bikes with interest. They're just what she needs, and she'd have the benefit of potentially messing with a competitor. She's not been one to do much wet salvage work, except for that time in Bean Town. Which had sucked out loud. But still, whatever Deep Six pulls out of the drink might well compete with what her crew brings in.

Nau Shan Shan catches her interest, and glances at Shitface casually, stepping sideways to get a clear view and act as lookout. This tips off Crow, who studies the bikes, then leans in to Raven. "No trouble getting out. If you want to grab them."

She catches his tone. "You think we shouldn't."

He doesn't say anything, so she fills the silence. "Just joined the Local, sure as sunrise Deep is paying dues. Get dragged into some kind of mediation. Get another crew and a supplier, some jealous little autocrats, and maybe a market maker, mad at us." Raven smiles. "Just like old times."

Crow sighs. "Just like old times."

Raven sticks her thumbs in her belt after a moment. "They're nice, but they're no cherry tree. Maybe I'll make an offer to Deep for them, maybe I'll wait for Shitface to sort it out." She nods to the others, eliciting a look of disappointment from Nau Shan Shan and one of mild confusion from Merlin. "Let's find a place we can rest our heads."

She looks around for the wolfman, then calls. "Hey Luka, you still tagging along?"

Gonna pass this time... They're oh so nice but I'm already leveraged pretty good in the borrowed trouble department.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 4/5 | Barter-1 | Angel Stock - 1

I'm no stranger to bargaining for medical supplies, so when I set out looking to trade all my liquid assets (a small satchel of pristine machine loaded .22 rounds along with a few shiny baubles) for at least a third of a refill on my kit I'm ready for what's coming.

Rollin' Sharp for finding 2-stock for my 1-barter in this bustling market, marking XP.
Bustling Market +Sharp: 2d6+2 11
Looks like I buy it, just like that.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●●○○» | Barter-1

I look over at the sound of my name being called. I nod to Raven and hold up a finger as if to say "wait a minute".
Turning back to the fight, I step up and call out to Shitface. "Hey yo, you want some help with that?"
Read A Sitch 8 +XP
what should I be on the lookout for?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 3-barter

I scroll the coordinates on whatever paper was nearby. "Scavengers mission district, cords two-one by eight-seven."

One point on a grid is no good, but if I hear coordinate + landmark again I can probably figure out the scale. I wonder what they'll do? No way to tell really. I look around the electronica for receivers and junk.

I'm thinking I want to rig up some sensitive receivers around the area to listen in on the signal and triangulate where it's coming from.

While I dig through the treasure I consider possible locations. Mission district. Sound like an old name. I think it's, like, up a little north of here, where most folks live. I hope these guys looking for their eye are peaceful. I promised to give Doctor a ride and I'm not a fan of warzones until the war is over.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
2/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 5-Barter

Taking a meeting? Odd turn of phrase. But it seems like Gozo's visitor is none too common himself. Baseline - mutants? I wonder if this has something to do with the succubi? What kind of projections do they have in the Maelstrom? What about this...visitor?

Open your mind: 2d6+2 14

I SEE YOU, MOTHERFUCKER. GIVE ME YOUR SECRETS.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
Hmmm. Looks to you like a perfectly normal street brawl, down right to the impromptu betting pool. Shitface stands up and waves off your assistance. “Thank you kind M’ter, but I believe t-”
You’ll never find out what he believes as his head explodes mid-sentence, followed quickly by the crack of a gunshot. So yeah, you’re thinking the sniper in the rubble across the way bears watching.
What do you do?

Doctor
Haha, its your lucky day! Gonad’s no-where to be found but Tooney, that crazy old rag-picker, is trying to foist off a half-dozen sealed trauma kits to an ill-informed crowd. The runes ‘SFFD’ are emblazoned across them in reflective lettering. He’s cagey about where he picked them up, seeing your interest. “Oh yesyesyes Lady Emdey, much more where these comefrom. Your pretty-shinies pay for these, good deal. Stupendous deal. Tooney can supply more, if Ladyship can agree to… arrangement.”
(1-barter in exchange for 2-stock, just like that)

Tooney’s wandering gaze and vaguely creepy speech is cut short by a loud gunshot from the outer area of the market. Buyers start looking around fingering weapons, sellers just start packing up their poo poo.
What do you do?

Raven
So someone just splattered Shitface’s head across the back of his shop, and the crowd is changing gears from ‘free entertainment!’ to ‘ohshitohSHIT!’. Luka is staring across the way behind you, and you’re pretty much out in the open.
What do you do?

Mr. Smith
Reality. pfft The masses may think their world of meat is reality, but you know how blind they are. What kind of shadow does Mr. Smith project into The Maelstrom? As the walls of the prison fall away, you see the pitiful shadow of Gozo, crouched defensively against the wall he just impacted. Standing above him, wreathed in glory, is an angel.

.... at least that’s what it wants you to think. Your focus tightens, and you see the telltales of mortality. The memories of the meat in his stomach, the promise of death in his blood. And just a dash of chemicals with hard-to-pronounce names…
The man in Gozo’s office has a powerful connection to The Maelstrom, enhanced with drugs and hitech. He stinks of Berk-mud, and Gozo’s soft mind supplies the name Ronan. Fear accompanies this name, Gozo fears him and those that he represents.

This Ronan’s shadow-eyes narrow, he’s perceived your shadow. With a mental snarl, he turns away, heading towards Gozo’s veranda.
What do you do?

JJ
Hmmmmm. Yeah, what you’ve got kicking around should do the trick. Its going to take a fair bit of trial-and-error to find decent locations for the receivers though, what with all the random metal poo poo everywhere. Maybe finding someone who knows more about radio-stuff could help with that?
What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

"ShitSHITSHITSHIT!"
I dive behind a bike, making eye contact with Raven, wondering what we should do.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 3-barter

The first step in trial and error is to try and then error. I set up my first run on the poo poo. Even if I can't find the signal first time, I can try to pick it up again. I set up a little recorder too, in case they say something important when I'm away. I'm just finishing that when my watch beeps. With the elevator and the receivers I lost track of time, looks like I should be picking up Emdey and dropping off the flower juice. Hope they don't nuke they aren't meaning to nuke the market while I'm there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
3/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 5-Barter

>>Self-deception is a massive flaw, Ronan.<< An psychic projection speaks(?) calmly. I'm experienced here, but you never master it. You never think you master it. >>Baseline. How do you figure in your superiority here? You're drug-addicted and mutated. And here you are, on an even footing, now, with me, an unaltered man.<< It's a bit hazy in the physical world, but I maintain focus long enough to get my nine from the shoulder holster, train it at the door. Sammi seems confused, I think. Still scared for sure. This conversation exists in the Maelstrom, yes, but there's obviously a physical body in there that probably isn't exactly happy with me. >>You might intimidate our friend Gozo here, but I'm not going to be dictated to. So tell, me, self-styled angel, what are you really doing here?<<

Reading Ronan: 2d6+2 14 :stare:

Holding 3, spending 1 to ask: What does Ronan intend to do?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 4/5 | Barter-0 | Angel Stock - 3

The gunshot makes me duck and wince, even far off I'm still not used to gunfire like some people. Clutching the crash kit I figure it may need to get put to use and start jogging towards the noise, trying to look for good cover or hiding spots in case I spot (or even worse, run into) the shooter.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●●○» | 3-barter

The shot puts an end to the lazing about and loving around Raven's crew had been partaking off this morning. Before the crack of the round finishes echoing, her team is well in motion. Whatever front they put on, they didn't make it clear across the Wastes on good luck and good looks. There's a hard core of capability there, just beneath the surface.

Raven and Crow hit the deck immediately, scrambling behind whatever counts as cover, weapons already drawn. Raven's hand cannon is usually the scarier piece, but Crow's carbine is probably more useful here. The two flash hand signals at each other, scanning the rubble for signs of the sniper.

Nau Shan Shan is even quicker, seeming to end up behind a support column, bow in hand and arrow drawn, without having bothered with the intervening space. She looks over at the crew leader, waiting for the word.

Merlin is much less graceful, but not much slower. The big man simply bowls over a rack of bikes, turning it into a hasty barricade he can duck his bulk behind. He sets the drone aside and starts turning the handle on the Mainframe-made coil gun he prefers. drat thing shoots bullets so fast they punch through steel plate. With flipping magnets. It was a lot more impressive before it became clear it required a master maker to keep working, had a tendency to short out, and made a gods-awful racket when it was being wound up.

Raven spots Luka taking cover, and gives him a cheery wave. "Might be we'll be taking the bikes after all," she comments idly to Crow. "You see the fucker anywhere?"

Read a sitch
Read a Sitch: 2d6 9
• what’s my enemy’s true position?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

I nod at Raven, she's trying to get a location on this shitfuck before he can kill anyone else. Her people got the talent, I'll bring the meat.
In a matter of moments I've wolfed-out, I stand up from my, now laughably small, bit of cover behind the rack of bikes.

I roar. Loudly.
That should get his attention.
Aid Another 7
Here's your 10 Raven, make it count!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●●○» | 3-barter

"Well that's a way to do." Raven watches Luka play the berserker. Well, hopefully he's playing, because otherwise this has gone from a pretty good morning to a real lovely one. She'd rather stick with marginally awful.

Let's make it these three questions.
• where’s my best escape route / way in / way past?
• what should I be on the lookout for?
• what’s my enemy’s true position?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
JJ
You finally get everything loaded up and start off back to Scrapper’s. As you’re pulling out of your hidden little nook, the wubs you’re jamming to on the radio cut off, replaced by LCD’s voice. “Well now, looks like we’ve got a breaking news bulletin for all y’all. Got reports of lots of fire at Gozo’s market, both gun and burny kinds. You may want to avoid it until they get it sorted out. Or go rubberneck, if that’s your thing. I don’t judge.”
You’re trying to figure out what that means for you when several figures wearing the blue jumpsuits of PwrGas! acolytes pop up on either side of the road with rather large guns. Scratch that, semiautomatic large guns. The bullets are bouncing off the road and rubble now, but you can see them correcting their aim.
(Since folks are shooting at you, you need to roll Act Under Fire)
What do you do?

Mr. Smith
Ronan intends to find a crack in your defenses and burn out your soul
Ronan’s shadow pauses on the lip of the veranda, and the whips back to face you, wings burning fiercely in the Maelstrom. >>Self-delusion? Are you speaking of yourself, little spookum-man? A child that plays kingmaker with fools and thinks himself important? Yes, we are aware of you and the lie you clothe yourself in. Do not meddle in the affairs of your betters.<<

The wall separating the two of you begins to creak and groan, like its breathing. You feel dozens of minor probes skitter off your mental defenses, it seems you're safe for now. Sammi is not so lucky, you see/hear/feel her eyes roll back in their sockets and blood trickle from her nose.
What do you do?

Doctor
You’re heading towards the outer area of the market, when there is a ear-shattering primal roar followed by a hail of gunfire. The quick moving crowd turns into a panicked mob, and you’re going the wrong way. Your being you gets you a bit of consideration, but the closer you get to the outside, the worse the pushing and elbows become.
(If you want to continue to move towards the action, you need to roll Act Under Fire, the Fire being getting trampled)
What do you do?

Luka
So you definitely got the shooter’s attention, him and his friends. And the panicking mob. Luckily no-one is packing anything big enough to get through your wolf-hide, but the ricochets and misses are busting up the shop. The zapp box is damaged and sparking wildly, and several containers of chemicals are leaking and smoking ominously. You should probably get out of here, but pretty much anywhere you go is going to become the subject of focus fire. And then you hear some bright spark yell “Hey someone go get that flamethrower old Koots has in his shop!”
What do you do?

Raven
*Mix in with the fleeing crowd and keep your head down
* The sniper has 2 friends with 9mm’s and machetes
*Holed up in their makeshift sniper’s nest on top of some rubble

There are alot of guns being fired right now, luckily none of them at you or your crew. The end of the shop where Luka’s at though is looking worse for wear. You’ve got a bead on the assholes that started this, a trio of blue-jumpsuited fools up in that patch of rubble. Along with the crowd, they’re mainly occupied with shooting the poo poo out of the werewolf, you can see several avenues to deal with them. While you’re scanning the clusterfuck, you see one of the ones with a handgun pick up a loudener and he shouts over the din.

“No more shall the pious servants of the Holy Generator stand by as heathen scum pervert the Zapp and its Flow for their own purposes. Shitface and Gozo and all those like them shall taste the Purifying Lead of Glory this day! In the Name of the Engi- gently caress Jonsey, its getting back up! Shoot it more!” The speech ends in a panicked squeal at Luka’s movement.
What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●●●○» | Barter-1

Fun fact. in full wolf form, my jaw's so long and warped I can't speak, but I can still understand people just fine. Flamethrower sounds like a bad time to me, so I need to end this. Now.

I charge forward toward where the gunfire seems to be thickest, bullets feeling like beestings, but only serving to piss me off even more. I leap over the crowd, and hit the ground on all fours, bounding forward like a hairy flash. I clear the edge of the rubble and set upon the attackers I find there.
Seize by Force 8 +XP
you inflict terrible harm
you impress, dismay or frighten your enemy

Blue jumpsuits and flesh shred beneath my claws, I tear the arm from one, to beat a second, the claws of my other arm splitting a third nearly in half, as I maul their face with a single bite. Blood flies freely

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
0/5 xp, 3-barter

I turn the gently caress around! What, am I gonna drive straight into a firefight when I don't even know what's going on? Sure, there will be some gunshot wounds, but if I start treating one side before the fights over, the other will gun me down for disrespect. Besides, who wants to treat a gunshot? So boring even I know how to do it. I'm worried about Mrs. Emdey, but there's no way she'll think a pickup is still happening. She's probably getting out her own way.

Drive Weird: 2d6+2 12

Looks like they were cool with that course of action. I drive back a little bit until I'm far enough that a sprinting psycho won't surprise me and around the corner to park in a lot of rotted-out wrecks. Close my eyes and think. Recalibrate. Make new connections. What's going on right now? What does PwrGas have to do with the signal? The robo parasite? The man with the missing tongue and broken head. I breath in, think deep. I can almost see the links between people, forces, everything.

Thinking so hard my brain opens up: 2d6+2 8

While my go-to move right now would be to get my hands on No-poo poo Driving and become a god behind the wheel of this van, I think all my recent workshop moves are leading me to pick up Reality's Fraying Edge.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
You flash across the square and deal with the PwrGas! fucks right toot, drawing fire away from the merrily burning back of Shitface Cycles. As the three bodies hit the ground, you realize you might have been a little too quick: one of the fuckers managed to get his machete in your ribs. They might have been squishy and poo poo shots, but they kept their blades sharp...

On the plus side, the mob has decided they really don’t need to be shooting you right now, and have pressing bizness elsewhere...
(3-harm messy vs 2-armor, roll +harm)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
3:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●●●○» | Barter-1

The battle ended as fast as it started, I stand there, breathing heavily when the pain finally starts penetrating the adrenaline.
It seems so small, compared to my size in this form, like a child's toy, but there it is, sticking out of my side, gushing blood.
I'm no Doc, but I do know two things:
1. I can't change shape back to human unless I pull this out, or it'll shred my insides good when everything shrinks and rearranges back to normal.
2. I can't pull it out yet, or I might bleed out before I can get help.
gently caress.
Harm 12
Well fuuuuuuuuuuuuck me running. :gibs:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 4/5 | Barter-0 | Angel Stock - 3

In times like this it pays to grab tight hold of any previous cargo you got, in this case my freshly bought crash kit, hold your elbows out, duck your head down, and just start taking back some physical space from the masses.
"Move! Medic coming through, need you to clear a path! Clear a path!"

Traversing the mob: 2d6+1 12
Throwin' wicked 'bows over here, outta my way!

• Locked thread