Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

NEWEST: EPISODE 36 - finishing multiple quest lines

Hello I'm going to play some video entertainment for you all, of Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin, hit game by From Software's b team aka the team that did not make Dark Souls 1, this is bad I think, somehow. However it is a good game and I enjoy it. Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin is Dark Souls 2 but with more Dark Souls, and more b team. I have not played Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin yet, but I have played Dark Souls 2 many times, and enjoyed it because it is a good game, and I think this will make for a good video let us play. I'm the best.

What is DARK SOULS 2 SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN?
Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin is a scam. I forgot i already purchased lovely version instead of any pre-release footage i dont see theyre loving you can gently caress us, because some people are being hosed, and delivered one with 4 tires in addition to that should have to be fanbois, no sight of having to bring the Dx9 with 4 tires and already purchased lovely version even if i guess. We paid for. So lets go with free minor stuff that should have already bought Dx11 version because some people who have now, will not get in all along but you dont know. Ive been told you cant see any graphics update, i already own the release? - reason to buy a fraud. This is still 40 on Steam, DLC is 10 each. So lets go with 4 tires in addition to bring the same game instead of having to be totally ok with 4 tires and already own the entire same time. We are being hosed, and theres no clue how hard they didnt get in the Dx9 with 4 tires in addition to completely re-sell your 3-tire car.

What are you going to be doing in this let us play?
Skipping a lot of story, murdering all the bosses, probably dying but those are all bullshit unfair deaths for sure (see: I'm the best). I'm not going to show off all the weapons or items or whatever the gently caress, I'm assuming most people have already played Dark Souls 2 and seen a million LPs of it.

Are you going to finish your roller coaster game lets play?
No.

I am ambivalent about this LP, how good is it
It matches the quality of this first post, unless you like this first post, in which case it may or may not meet or exceed expectations.

I want to flap my lips in a vague simulacrum of the human language in concert with you
PM me or post in here or something and we can speak words over skype while watching video game videos.

EPISODE LIST
EPISODE 1 - tutorial bullshit
EPISODE 2 - starting area bullshit
EPISODE 3 - boss bullshit
EPISODE 4 - audio bullshit
EPISODE 5 - "he's basically a chump" -me, two videos ago
EPISODE 6 - gargoyle bullshit
EPISODE 7 - no man's wharf bossfight
EPISODE 8 - aaAAAAaaa heide knights
EPISODE 9 - finishing lucatiel's questline
EPISODE 10 - a distressing lack of bullshit
EPISODE 11 - my mind is like a compass
EPISODE 12 - seriously will you gently caress off already!!
EPISODE 13 - npc bullshit
EPISODE 14 - only the finest forms of humor
EPISODE 15 - spooky ghost
EPISODE 16 - an absolute mountain of bullshit
Things Betwixt Torches
EPISODE 17 - not pictured: an hour and a half of pain and misery
EPISODE 18 - huntsman's cops
EPISODE 19 - this episode was a real gas
EPISODE 20 - manikin bullshit
EPISODE 21 - a clown car full of alonne knights
EPISODE 22 - tracking bullshit
EPISODE 23 - gently caress you, maldron
EPISODE 24 - fume knight bullshit
EPISODE 25 - im running out of adjectives for this kind of bullshit
EPISODE 26 - dont really remember what happens here lol
EPISODE 27 - i have obligations to the internet to fulfill
EPISODE 28 - expert level pvp
EPISODE 29 - ive had six beers and im ready to game
EPISODE 30 - completing some npc quests
EPISODE 31 - like a million fuckin ruin sentinels
EPISODE 32 - gargoyle bullshit AGAIN
EPISODE 33 - amana bull-- haha just kidding this place is perfectly fine and good
EPISODE 34 - im excellent at video game, and lp
EPISODE 35 - we're almost to the best part
EPISODE 36 - finishing multiple quest lines

WEAPON VOTING THING:
im just using whatever now, fuckers

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

reserving this post in the off chance that i actually put effort into editing this reserved post into something useful (i won't)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And here are the first two episodes, in case you are severely allergic to first posts:

EPISODE 1 - tutorial bullshit
EPISODE 2 - starting area bullshit

Also I misspelled the acronym lmao, this LP is loving going places.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Third episode, bosses die in this one.

EPISODE 3 - boss bullshit

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
use 2 sestus fists
:black101::black101::black101:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bozart posted:

use 2 sestus fists
:black101::black101::black101:

If you do this, you can parry firebombs back at the person who threw them!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Look man let's compromise, I'll punch a boss and/or a player to death but I've punched too many things in my illustrious dark souls 2 career! There's just so much more to dark souls than punching, it pains me to say.

e: also speaking of sestus see how many times you can catch me mispronouncing nonenglish words and also some english ones

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 14, 2015

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
Excellent, now I can see all the crazy differences without having to buy the drat thing.

For B team weapons you should go forgo the standard longsword for a Bastard Swordand Uchigatana. Then something really loving out there like a dragon tooth or great-hammer. Strike damage is important which is why maces are popular, but this is B-sides damnit.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

my biggest hope for a petrified dragon bone drop is getting the demon's great hammer because I will use the poo poo out of it once twinkling titanite becomes available

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I vote for Grand Lance because there's nothing like spleening a zombie with a spear the size of an i-beam.

Third Mission
Feb 18, 2011

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!
I vote falchion, with the smallest shield so you can really swashbuckle. become a british officer turned privateer!

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Grand Lance sounds like a good idea because it's a big spiral lance and also because of a video involving ghosts and goblins and spoilers for areas ingame.

Speaking of, whats the spoiler policy for this?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Graaaaaaaaaaaaand Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaance

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zoig posted:

Speaking of, whats the spoiler policy for this?

Regarding story stuff I don't care what gets thrown around in here because I'll most likely end up murdering half the npcs for their poo poo anyways and the story is pretty weak to begin with. For enemy stuff, I've got two examples that I was spoiled on before I stopped reading the DS2 thread entirely that I think should serve as pretty good guidelines.

The first example is talking about what happens with the Heide Knights after you kill the dragonrider (or dragonslayer? I don't remember but I'll find out soon I guess). Don't spoil that stuff because seeing that without expecting it makes for a funnier video. The second example would be saying something like "You should light all the torches in the gutter," which is fine to say because I probably wouldn't even attempt something like this without being prompted, just don't say what happens! I know the original DS2 in and out though so if you want to talk on prior experience based on that, that's okay; the one exception to this though is that I haven't played through Eleum Loyce at all and know gently caress all about it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

well thanks to the genius coder of dxtory deciding to make it randomly switch the output my dxtory profile recorded for sound, the next two eps wont have any game audio. god drat it.

e: also the bastille is fantastically bullshit now holy poo poo

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 15, 2015

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Voting Estoc and offering commentator services.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I would like to see a lance because lances are great, and also please don't spoil super ghouls and ghosts!! :spooky:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I went with the lance and the lance is NOT great, unless you have good stamina, which I did not in these latest episodes, RIP

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
One terribly advised for vote Shortsword

Axes are also cool but clearly a Bandit axe would be for criminals and you strike me as a model citizen.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dual wield Greataxes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Golden Goat posted:

Dual wield Greataxes

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
What's the goofiest kind of weapon you can use because use that one. Dual wield it even. I don't know, I remember DaS1 has the Trident that makes you do a dance so if there's something of that caliber here do it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The channeler's trident is indeed in DkS2, but it's one of the random trades with the crows. I believe you need to give them a petrified something in order for a chance to get it, too.

The goofiest weapon is probably the gyrm greathammer, but that won't be available for a while yet. Dual-wielding those things would also require 60 STR.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

new episode, I'm using the lance right now but if I ever get two greataxes and too many upgrade materials and some ridiculous amount of strength I will power stance the axes

Smarms posted:

Voting Estoc and offering commentator services.

putting you in ~the queue~. PM me your skype name or something.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

In SotFS you need to aim with your fists when doing plunging attacks. The blade doesn't have a hitbox, so even with a Greatclub you have to use Caestus aiming. :what:

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 16, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
This really is just Kaizo Dark Souls. This is getting me so annoyed because like seriously! THIS IS WHAT THEY FEEL IS "BETTER"? Please tell me the design gets somewhat less dumb.

Also feel your pain with recording Dark Souls games in general. If something is hosed up you gotta stick with the video because there is no going back.

Zain fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 16, 2015

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I guess they hired Nintendo's marketing team for this one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Catching up with the latest video, I felt your pain so much with the disagreeable barrels in bastile :negative:

Zain posted:

This really is just Kaizo Dark Souls. This is getting me so annoyed because like seriously! THIS IS WHAT THEY FEEL IS "BETTER"? Please tell me the design gets somewhat less dumb.

Also feel your pain with recording Dark Souls games in general. If something is hosed up you gotta stick with the video because there is no going back.

They know their stereotyped audience, basically. The durability bug is now a "feature" not tied to FPS, and there are the sort of people who will embrace that as :darksouls: because if they don't complain about it, that means they must be better at viddy games than you! :pseudo:

I personally think damage is overtuned, both in enemies hitting you (Oh god! 70%-90% of my 1k health bar is gone in one hit, AGAIN!), and in killing enemies (I heard this flexile sentry/ruin sentinels/gargoyles a a real bastard-oh they died like chumps to +0 weapons). But you're still a "bad player" if you beat Freja on the first try with a +3 weapon, if you think taking 90% of your human health bar in damage in a single hit is more annoying than challenging.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 16, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zain posted:

see for yourself!!

EPISODE 5 - "he's basically a chump", me, two videos ago

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zain posted:

Honestly, The Pursuer returning over and over again was what I thought should have happened in Dark Souls 2. The issue is the sheer number of times you run into him in Lost Bastille alone, let alone how many more times you might find him in other places.

e: Now that episode 5's been posted, I do think a lot of rearranged stuff is there to be nice flavor touches that were lacking in the original DkS2 release. But hey, I'm not the one playing the game so how annoying it is to play isn't really my problem.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In my personal opinion being punched in the dick again is nice. But back to Dark Souls 2,

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Zain posted:

This really is just Kaizo Dark Souls. This is getting me so annoyed because like seriously! THIS IS WHAT THEY FEEL IS "BETTER"? Please tell me the design gets somewhat less dumb

With MMOs, there's always this hardcore userbase that burns through any new content in about a day and a half. These players account for maybe 4% of the total players at most, but they're inevitably loud as gently caress, so a lot of content will be aimed at keeping them happy. SotFS is what happens when that mindset is applied to a non-MMO. I can't even call it a romhack, it's just 'Dark Souls II: Super Additional Bullshit Edition'.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm finding it kinda okay and it's my first run through the game. :shrug:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Out I get the concept of the pursuer but this is just ridiculous how close together he is and how long it takes to fight him. I'm probably that crotchety Souls fan though that is against a lot of frontloaded bullshit that was in DS2 in the first place. "Let's fight multiples now because that's hard." No that's annoying.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wanna call bullshit on "None of the other ruin sentinels will come up after you"... But then, I probably just took too long :saddowns:

Man that was such a painful surprise to me the first time, and a painful surprise to a guy I was summoned to help. At least I knew I wasn't the only one to get one shot from full health by that jump up though, ow.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 16, 2015

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008

Control Volume posted:

new episode, I'm using the lance right now but if I ever get two greataxes and too many upgrade materials and some ridiculous amount of strength I will power stance the axes

putting you in ~the queue~. PM me your skype name or something.

Don't have PMs, but my skype is SmarmsSA.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I wanna put Twinblade on the vote list because gently caress that thing. So you too should enjoy the greatness of the twinblade.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Zain posted:

I wanna put Twinblade on the vote list because gently caress that thing. So you too should enjoy the greatness of the twinblade.

Twinblades are actually okay now, their damage still sucks but they have 100+ durability. A good weapon that's easy to get, involves killing a covenant npc and generally sucks is the Bloodbro Scythe.

Get the Scythe of Nahr Alma

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 9, 2015

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Um excuse me sirs, the Falchion (pronounced fal-co-NOO-nee, fyi) was actually used in camelback combat During the pyramid times camels were useful to fight on the back of because they wobbled so much while walking that other mounted infantry had difficulty hitting them, and furthermore, the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
My god, all those bloodstains falling off the edge

wow did neither of you go to falchion school??

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread