Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Youtube Streaming

This is a thing? Huh, didn't know about it. Why not Twitch? I tried streaming once, it was pretty easy with OBS.

Rollersnake posted:

Nekketsu Oyako

This looks great! Is it super-rare on the Saturn or something? 10+ years ago when I was retro-collecting the real stuff, seems like this is a game I would've been looking out for, but I've honestly never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Hoss Corncave posted:

Ah, the thread is finally up. That means I have to hurry up and actually start on my contribution to this thread. Oh god why did I say I'd do it?

I'm looking forward to the stream tonight though.

You have plenty of time to practice, there's a lot of games to go through.

Rollersnake posted:

I'd like to request you do Nekketsu Oyako (Saturn/PS1) at some point. It's a rather delightful game that deserves more exposure, and it's up there with Growl and PuLiRuLa on the high end of the "what the gently caress am I even playing" scale.

Added to the list, I'll check it out when possible. Whether I can play it though, depends on quite a few undetermined factors.

Ofecks posted:

This is a thing? Huh, didn't know about it. Why not Twitch? I tried streaming once, it was pretty easy with OBS.

This looks great! Is it super-rare on the Saturn or something? 10+ years ago when I was retro-collecting the real stuff, seems like this is a game I would've been looking out for, but I've honestly never heard of it.

Youtube streaming is honestly much more convenient for me, as it places the video directly into my youtube channel after the stream ends. It also appears to have significantly less lag than Twitch (at least from the test-run) and, well, my Twitch account was hacked.

Either way, the stream should appear right on my channel's main page, so it shouldn't be difficult to find.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Unfortunately, circumstances have risen that will prevent the stream, and I'm not particularly willing to reschedule it to midnight. There's always next week, yeah? Luckily, I did prepare this video as an emergency consolation. Another 3d beat em up that's, uh, inspired by a popular franchise.

Hero of Sparta

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Seeing you play this game made me wonder- Will you show off Dragon Valor at some point, if you even know about it? It's a 3D slice'm up with magic added in. It's not the best game in the world, but I'd love to see an informative run on it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Mehuyael posted:

Seeing you play this game made me wonder- Will you show off Dragon Valor at some point, if you even know about it? It's a 3D slice'm up with magic added in. It's not the best game in the world, but I'd love to see an informative run on it.

I would absolutely love to get to Dragon Valor.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I would absolutely love to get to Dragon Valor.

That's great to hear! I remember one boss giving me huge problems and taking forever, I'd love to know what the right way to tackle him is. Well, if you choose to go through the route that has him. Or maybe he's a shared boss, I'm not entirely sure how the generations mechanism worked.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've received permission from another YouTuber, The Village Monk's Gaming Memories, to use his fantastic playthrough of the Atari ST port of Golden Axe!

And here it is!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mehuyael posted:

Holy crap, I haven't heard of this game in years. I remember playing it a ton when I was a kid and thinking it was awesome.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
A non-3D side scroller all of this reminded me of is IRON MAN AND X-O MANOWAR IN HEAVY METAL. Many fond memories of playing that game on the Sega Saturn with my brother. There was a boss fight on a falling elevator and he got some serious airtime when you did a running uppercut on him, we'd start playing Volleyball with the guy to see who'd drop him first.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

A non-3D side scroller all of this reminded me of is IRON MAN AND X-O MANOWAR IN HEAVY METAL. Many fond memories of playing that game on the Sega Saturn with my brother. There was a boss fight on a falling elevator and he got some serious airtime when you did a running uppercut on him, we'd start playing Volleyball with the guy to see who'd drop him first.

I can't believe someone else knows that game exists.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Our last Final Fight video, wherein we finally save the day and get the girl

Uptown

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Can you kill Belgore without throwing him through the window?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Digital Jello posted:

I remember those D&D arcades, and I love them :allears:
I'd like to think that Dragon's Dogma paid homage to them, but there's a certain comic book charm to those that I'd love to see again.

Dragon's Crown was pretty clearly an homage to them (and to a lot of classic nerd-fantasy stuff in general). In the artbook George Kamitani mentioned working on the development for D&D: Tower of Doom.

I doubt it's a coincidence that Capcom released Chronicles of Mystara the same summer that Dragon's Crown came out.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Can you kill Belgore without throwing him through the window?

I'm almost positive that the script forces him out the window.

Seyser Koze posted:

Dragon's Crown was pretty clearly an homage to them (and to a lot of classic nerd-fantasy stuff in general). In the artbook George Kamitani mentioned working on the development for D&D: Tower of Doom.

I doubt it's a coincidence that Capcom released Chronicles of Mystara the same summer that Dragon's Crown came out.

I'm glad someone else noticed how close the two releases were.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I want to say he just won't die at all unless he's over by the window, but I may be insane.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

I want to say he just won't die at all unless he's over by the window, but I may be insane.

I've never managed to actually do enough damage to find out.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Seyser Koze posted:

Holy poo poo, I wasn't even paying attention. Yes, I meant Dragon's Crown, not Dogma.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

I've never managed to actually do enough damage to find out.

I was actually trying to test it myself, but Belger is such a bastard in the arcade version, I'd always knock his lifebar out with respawns. He'd then the nestle up against he window, completely unable to be grabbed until some damage forces him out the window. Testing a bit more, he enters this finale state when he's almost dead anyways. It's scripted to immediately jump over to the window when he's pretty low on life.

Hitting him with a knife or throwing another enemy at him makes shoot right up to the window and out, which is pretty funny to watch. So I made a quick and dirty gif of it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PBnJamo posted:

I was actually trying to test it myself, but Belger is such a bastard in the arcade version, I'd always knock his lifebar out with respawns. He'd then the nestle up against he window, completely unable to be grabbed until some damage forces him out the window. Testing a bit more, he enters this finale state when he's almost dead anyways. It's scripted to immediately jump over to the window when he's pretty low on life.

Hitting him with a knife or throwing another enemy at him makes shoot right up to the window and out, which is pretty funny to watch. So I made a quick and dirty gif of it.

Gravity was not on evil's side this day.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ofecks posted:

Toaplan/Knuckle Bash

A lot of the people behind this game later formed a company called Gazelle and made a Sailor Moon arcade brawler for Banpresto that's pretty well-regarded.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of the people behind this game later formed a company called Gazelle and made a Sailor Moon arcade brawler for Banpresto that's pretty well-regarded.

Oh yeah! I've played that before, it's great. I actually used to watch the Sailor Moon series because anime was scarce back then, but I remember always thinking "man, this isn't as good as Ronin Warriors". IIRC, Gazelle also made Air Gallet. It'll knock your socks off. :haw:

OP, any particular reason you're not making 60fps videos? 2D games look so much better that way, especially if they have any flicker effects.

e: Something cool about Final Fight that I forgot - if you hold down on the pad/stick while attacking, the 4th combo hit will always be a grab-and-throw behind you. Really really useful in the arcade version where you get swarmed by 5+ dudes, but I think it also works on SNES.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 28, 2015

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ofecks posted:

e: Something cool about Final Fight that I forgot - if you hold down on the pad/stick while attacking, the 4th combo hit will always be a grab-and-throw behind you. Really really useful in the arcade version where you get swarmed by 5+ dudes, but I think it also works on SNES.

A move that would later on be used in Guy's chain combo in the Street Fighter Alpha series, although it was LP, MP, HP, HK for the combo and LP, MP, HP, d+HK for the combo into throw.

Also, when you get to the 32-bit era, I hope you'll cover Guardian Heroes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ofecks posted:

I don't think it's super rare. Its being cheaper than a lot of other Saturn oddities was one of the reasons I bought it to begin with. That's no longer the case, though—and just going by eBay prices, it looks like the Saturn version is going for twice the cost of the PS1 version these days. I've never played the PS1 version, so I don't know how they compare.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Sega Saturn, any plans on Guardian Heroes? That game is on my bucket list of games to play before I die but oh man good luck finding a copy at a decent price.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Speaking of Sega Saturn, any plans on Guardian Heroes? That game is on my bucket list of games to play before I die but oh man good luck finding a copy at a decent price.

Could just do the XBLA version. I think it has online multiplayer that I would be willing to do with someone if they wanted. I may have to use Nicole cheese though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, reminds me I used to love Guardian Heroes Advance, even if it was Lag Central.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I have a lot of plans for the thread's future, and the next update was meant to be out a week ago, but unfortunately I'm having recording troubles, so consider the thread on hiatus. (At least as far as my contributions are concerned.)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

do you have a sequence for which games you will do? Like you just did Final Fight, are you going to do the rest of the series first or move on to games that came out after but during the same timeframe?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good luck busting the LP curse, OP. I like games that try for some kind of "natural" cinematic finish like the ol' body through the plateglass trick.

Does Belger only stay in that wheelchair until the first hit, or could you possibly win the fight with him still inside?

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
He's actually using Haggar's daughter as a shield when he's riding around in the chair. So if you normally attack, you hit her and he laughs. You need to throw him to start doing damage.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Recording problems are fixed! Expect a new update to the main beat em up videos very soon, and a ton of extra stuff.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Glazius posted:

Does Belger only stay in that wheelchair until the first hit, or could you possibly win the fight with him still inside?

It's just the intro to the fight; it's meant to be broken. In fact, I think in console versions, he eventually just stands up by himself if you dawdle forever.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Did you ever want to play a 3d hack n slash/beat 'em up as an anime girl with giant scissors? Well, have I got just the extra content for you

Mesogears

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
That looks terrifying. Girls with scissors, random Victreebel pumpkins and Hatsune Miku. That's madness.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

That looks terrifying. Girls with scissors, random Victreebel pumpkins and Hatsune Miku. That's madness.

Those pumpkins are actually a mis-drawn melon mascot from a Japanese children's show. It's called Spoo, and it quickly became a meme because it's absolutely horrifying.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Only the freshest imported Japanese memes await us in this next bit of extra content.

Tomoyo Fighter Perfect

This is also the last bit of extra content for now. The next video will get us back on track with our exploration of the SNES's beat 'em up lineage.

Aces High posted:

do you have a sequence for which games you will do? Like you just did Final Fight, are you going to do the rest of the series first or move on to games that came out after but during the same timeframe?

Final Fight 2 will come very soon, but we have a game "inspired" by the SNES Final Fight to look at first.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Is it Tuff Enough? I liked that game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Join me in my depression as we check out the first entry in Jaleco's beat 'em up series.

Rival Turf!

DeathChicken posted:

Is it Tuff Enough? I liked that game.

Well, you got the right developer, but no. Also Tuff E Nuff was a fighting game, I am 200% sure.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Join me in my depression as we check out the first entry in Jaleco's beat 'em up series.

Rival Turf!

Could have tried the sequels, Brawl Brothers and The Peacekeepers. Problem was, they were butchered in the Western translation as all three of them were a series known as "Rushing Beat" in Japan. The third one actually has some nice ideas with branching paths with multiple different endings, but the gameplay still isn't great.

Well, you got the right developer, but no. Also Tuff E Nuff was a fighting game, I am 200% sure.

It was, and as with Rival Turf, you could cheese your way to victory against the AI. Pick Vortz, do the Iron Claw grab, walk up, mash the command again, grab, repeat. It doesn't work 100% of the time, and it doesn't work at all on the ninja, Shirou, but against him you can spam Vortz's shoulder charge and he can't punish it in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

There are certainly quite a few games being covered in here. I never actually knew Beat 'Em Ups were such a lucrative genre, I only ever knew of Streets of Rage and Final Fight. I suppose Maximum Carnage too and whichever Ninja Turtles game was on the Genesis as well.

Just how big, and for that matter, and long did the genre get?

• Locked thread