Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Problem description: This issue only occurs during gaming, whenever I play a game after either a few minutes or a long time my screen goes black and then I get kicked back to my desktop with the Nvidia error telling me my display driver has crashed, but recovered. This however makes the game unresponsive. This only happens with certain games too WoW FFXIV, MKX.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem? Clean install of drivers in safe mode, and updated my BIOS. I saw some posts about increasing the voltage to my GPU, but I am not so sure if my PSU will handle it.

Recent changes: Updated my driver yesterday for GTA5's release
--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 bit

System specs: Custom PC
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card
CPU Intel i5 4690
PSU Antec TruePower Classic series TP-650C 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
RAM: 8 GB DDR3

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The only solution I have ever found was to rollback to a previous restore point that didn't exhibit that behaviour and then let Windows do whatever updates it wants all over again. Really, that has worked for me every time whereas trying to rollback just the video driver or clean install it again or whatever has never worked.
Mind you, my anecdotal evidence of this is only for the 3 times it has happened over 5 years so it's not exactly hard data.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Gromit posted:

The only solution I have ever found was to rollback to a previous restore point that didn't exhibit that behaviour and then let Windows do whatever updates it wants all over again. Really, that has worked for me every time whereas trying to rollback just the video driver or clean install it again or whatever has never worked.
Mind you, my anecdotal evidence of this is only for the 3 times it has happened over 5 years so it's not exactly hard data.

I've read about rolling it back to at least 3.14ish, but will that impact my game performance?

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Fat_Cow posted:

I've read about rolling it back to at least 3.14ish, but will that impact my game performance?

That's a case-by-case thing. It's hard to know until it's done.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

I am not sure if this is an MKX issue or GPU issue, but this keeps happening

http://i.imgur.com/WdSW8fF.png

I am playing this game for not even five minutes and every time the picture freezes, sound still plays. It doesnt give me "It crashed" it just freezes with sound continuing to play in the background, my temps and stuff are fine so I am at a loss now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It wouldn't hurt to run DDU http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ and then reinstall the latest beta drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Fat_Cow posted:

I'm not sure if I'm being clear, but I'm talking about going back to a previous restore point, not just rolling back a video driver.

• Locked thread