Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather take a history course focused on a certain period, but to each his own

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

So when are you killing yourself op? Thanks for letting us know about women's studies before your demise.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
i dont believe creatures with a penis should be privy to lady secrets, op

thanks ~Salmiakki~

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Women Studies programs should offer one of those outdoor/gym single credit courses where you Smash the Patriarchy by attacking effigies of men with blunt instruments

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

whoflungpoop posted:

i dont believe creatures with a penis should be privy to lady secrets, op

what about if we're willing to cut them off ?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mdm posted:

outdoor/gym single credit courses where you Smash the Patriarchy

But that's ableist!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i agree with your title, but not your first post or anything else you've ever said

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I took a few women's studies classes and they were okay

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

mdm posted:

Women Studies programs should offer one of those outdoor/gym single credit courses where you Smash the Patriarchy by attacking effigies of men with blunt instruments

That sounds like fun

E. My high school had an archery course for girls

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i agree with your title, but not your first post or anything else you've ever said

Check out this guy who likes Tampa style Cuban sandwiches, the XBox One of Cuban sandwiches.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

mdm posted:

i don't know what you would put inside a maņata and i don't want to

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Helical Nightmares posted:

But that's ableist!

Fine, fine, some of the effigies can be dudes in wheelchairs or some poo poo I don't care

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i took a women's studies course in high school. we read The Color Purple and watched the Jennifer Lopez movie "Enough"

made me think...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

china bot posted:

i took a women's studies course in high school. we read The Color Purple and watched the Jennifer Lopez movie "Enough"

made me think...

about suicide?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

LethalGeek posted:

about suicide?

thankfully, the only other men in the class were two of our school's dumbest assholes, so it was never boring

F hole
May 13, 2008

forcing men to spend 1,000 per credit hour on useless bullshit is a pretty neat way of closing the wage gap

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
whats your STEM field lol

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

never met a burlesque dancer that wasn't fat.

Most american unis involve general education requirements, at my school this included classes that were marked with a D (for diversity). I took a multicultural lit class and a history of latin american immigration, both were among my favorite classes I took and if you really engage the material it can really change your worldview. Unfortunately though pretty much all the students just looked at is as "I have to be here" and unsurprisingly learned nothing, you can lead a horse to water etc etc etc.

I knew a couple burlesque dancers that were super hot and weren't fat. They had serious emotional problems, but really great bodies and I was younger then.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'm in STEM and I agree with the OP.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

I'm in STEM and I agree with the OP.
It's kind of iffy because while I agree these are topics everyone should learn about you can't really force people to learn. From my experience with the diversity credit classes the belligerent STEM students stayed belligerent and just didn't learn anything.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
isn't this basically true anyways?

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

It's kind of iffy because while I agree these are topics everyone should learn about you can't really force people to learn.

If you're going to think like that why have any general ed requirements?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I sure am glad I'm forced to waste 3 college hours and the requisite tuition on some stupid poo poo i don't care about because somebody retarded thinks it's important for my personal growth and i totally won't sit through it in blind contempt for everyone that thought this was a good idea

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ArbitraryC posted:

It's kind of iffy because while I agree these are topics everyone should learn about you can't really force people to learn. From my experience with the diversity credit classes the belligerent STEM students stayed belligerent and just didn't learn anything.

Yea, I didn't really learn poo poo from them. Our general-ed requirement was like 3 classes marked with a (D)iversity and 3 other lib arts classes. we got to choose from some subset of these as long as it met the tagged requirements but most of them were still uninteresting like native american studies or something. so you start to resent lib arts classes and the majors there because they're (often) piss-easy and boring as poo poo. fortunately, globalization counted as one and it was such a poo poo easy class where we just watched films like Lord of War and such and everyone was just on facebook the whole time, which explained a lot in why people go into anthropology majors.

hemophilia posted:

I sure am glad I'm forced to waste 3 college hours and the requisite tuition on some stupid poo poo i don't care about because somebody retarded thinks it's important for my personal growth and i totally won't sit through it in blind contempt for everyone that thought this was a good idea

:agreed:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 14, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Otto von Ruthless posted:

If you're going to think like that why have any general ed requirements?

To pay for liberal arts and social scientist professors salaries. Seriously.

If I remember correctly, and I know I'm loving up this story to a degree, when the biology department recieves money (I think from NIH grants specifically) some fraction was syphoned off to the liberal arts to keep those departments funded.

The accounting magic that goes on behind the scenes of colleges and univerities will make your head spin.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
gently caress you OP I need to go to work.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

That sounds like fun

E. My high school had an archery course for girls

did they shoot arrows into dude's dicks?

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!
I took a class called 'Drugs in American Society'. Best class I ever took. period.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

The accounting magic that goes on behind the scenes of colleges and univerities will make your head spin.

but what if i *gasp* think that its okay to use money from a biology department to fund liberal arts programs

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

but what if i *gasp* think that its okay to use money from a biology department to fund liberal arts programs

It doesnt matter what you think, it matters what the law says. Goverment grants come with very strict rules on their use and disbursement.

But then again, if you had a passing familarity with STEM subjects you would have the logical training to understand legal nuance and you would not have made an illustrative idiotic post.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Max Hammer posted:

I took a class called 'Drugs in American Society'. Best class I ever took. period.
I took history of rock and roll because they said I couldn't take more history courses. It counted as a music course.

Class was pretty awesome. I enjoyed learning about the history of music in america from WESTERN INCEPTION to the 1960s or so. It also had a heavy focus on how the industry has been dickheads to the artists since day one, and it went through the various legislation passed in the interest of the companies. Even radio stuff was covered. Then I stopped going because gently caress learning about the 70s,80s,90s, and early '00s. More than half the class failed even though she'd put up study guides a few days before the exam that included the answer to literally every question. The prof was probably the hottest 60ish year old woman I've ever seen too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 14, 2015

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Max Hammer posted:

that sounds like a rad course

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i took "media and society", where it was the professor's last semester before retirement. he talked a lot about calvinism, told us stories about his dreams or how he fell asleep on the toilet instead of picking up his wife at the airport.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

hemophilia posted:

try acting like an adult

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

It doesnt matter what you think, it matters what the law says. Goverment grants come with very strict rules on their use and disbursement.

But then again, if you had a passing familarity with STEM subjects you would have the logical training to understand legal nuance and you would not have made an illustrative idiotic post.

law and logic, proud stem subjects

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

hemophilia posted:

this is why i hate religion, and the spanish language

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

try acting like an adult

Oh sorry I should be gracious to be made to waste my time on stupid poo poo i don't care about, i see.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

law and logic, proud stem subjects

Math is logic thats why women are bad lawyers :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

If only we'd exterminate history there'd be a cure for cancer. :qq:

• Locked thread