Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I went to summer camp for three years and one year as a CIT, and I adored it. It was a farm camp in the middle of nowhere and all the counselors were former campers or pulled from the theater department of a near-ish college. Campers were split by age group, with three cabins for boys and five for girls. The only electricity was in bathrooms and the main dining area. Days were split between farm chores, learning about horses, activities (sports, crafts, writing, drama, and singing), swimming during the hottest part of the day, meals, and hanging out around the campfire. There were special events every session (the Boys vs. Girls water fight was highly anticipated, as well as a carnival day where each cabin ran a booth of a sort).

It was pretty expensive, but my mom had finally come into some money and it was the only thing that made me happy after we'd moved away from all my friends and my dad died.

I am still friends with a bunch of the people I met there, including counselors. I didn't enjoy being a CIT as much, but I think that's because I wasn't quite ready to let go of being a camper.

The most action I ever got was holding hands with a boy on a hay ride. Apparently there was WAY more going on in that department everywhere else in the camp, but I was pretty naive and thought our hand-holding was hot stuff. We talked on the phone every Saturday for years after that. He's gay.

My boyfriend was a counselor for a Christian day camp (after he was no longer religious) and said the weirdest part was having a bunch of little girls have crushes on you, which instantly made me feel bad for the counselors I had crushes on when I was 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

bytebark posted:

The Smelly Kid

We had one of those too, down to wearing the same shirt every day. I think they ended up dragging him into the shower with the clothes on and scrubbing at his arms and face until he gave up and took his clothes off to shower properly. I realize how creepy that sounds, but the showers were all communal so it's slightly less creepy.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Oh yeah, day camp was awful. My mom sent me to the poor kid one we could afford for a few summers when I was really little so she could work and I was always miserable. I remember one summer being sent home almost every day for lice. My mom was so frustrated because she treated it every time and didn't understand why it kept coming back, and then I alerted her that they were checking with their fingers instead of a pencil- surprisingly, no issues after that.

I got to go to the "rich kid" YMCA summer day camp one summer (I guess my mom came into some money) and that one was pretty awesome. I remember the counselors being a lot more engaged.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Mortley posted:

How often to kids get sad, give up and go home? At the place I may work this summer, they said it only happens once a year.

I only saw it happen once when I was a camper. The girl was 14 and had never been away from her mom for a single night, and for some reason a two week sleepaway camp seemed like a good idea. Everyone tried to cheer her up and was super nice to her, and the camp even broke the Don't Phone Parents Unless Emergency rule to try and help her, but she was just miserable and went home after three days.

The other kids would generally be sad once in a while if they missed their parents but would generally move on.

• Locked thread