Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I went to Eagle's Nest Camp in NC for a few years and that camp was the poo poo. I'm really depressed that I'm far, far too old for camp anymore. I guess it was probably because I started going to camp at a time in my life when things weren't going so great at home and I could always count on having a loving fantastic time at camp. So I really cherish the memories I have of camp from that time. It was just a really ideal time in my childhood that I can always look back on fondly. From the other stories here I'm guessing I went to a pretty high tier camp considering we had really pretty nice cabins and never slept in a tent unless we were on a trip away from camp. They were still definitely cabins, so screened windows and all that jazz, but nothing like canvas walled tents. I think most of the NC camps are pretty classy though, as far as camps go. My friends went to some other camps in the area and had a pretty similar experience.

My experience at camp was definitely cool counselors, swimming, and awesome activities though the camp didn't allow electronics so no movies. We did scary stories at least once a session though so that's similar. I literally took a class one year where the whole point was to try and discover all of the exciting ways we could set things on fire. I also did ceramics, horseback riding, white water canoeing, and rock climbing on a fairly regular basis. On the weekends we had camp-wide activities and would do awesome poo poo like do a camp wide capture the flag game or do camp Olympics. Throughout the time at camp, we'd be given hints that would all lead up to the theme of a final party the last night at camp.

I'm still in touch with some of my camp friends 10 years later, which says something because I'm super lovely at keeping in touch with people.

I also went to nerd camp when I was a preteen and it was pretty fun. I got invited to a program hosted by Johns Hopkins based on standardized test scores from when I was ten. I was in the drama section so it felt a lot less like work than I think some of the other sections (like math). My camp was at Mt. Holyoak and we stayed in the dorms there for the program and ate in the cafeteria, both of which were really nice. We had classes during the day which pretty much just consisted of improv and reading and discussing Shakespeare. We did go to a few productions in the town as "field trips" as well but most of our time was spent in class. After dinner we were allowed to pick activities we'd enjoy doing and there were some mega-awkward camp dances as well, so it wasn't all work.

My most distinct memory from that camp was the last night there. I was supposed to be getting on a plane home with a small group of other kids but when we got to the airport, there was a "unaccompanied minor" fee that the camp was supposed to cover. What this meant was that all of us kids couldn't get on our planned flights and they had to reschedule everything for the next day. Which shouldn't really have been a problem but for me it ended up causing tons of issues. My family used the time when I was away at camp to move across the country. They didn't have a phone set up at the new house and didn't have a cell phone because they're basically stuck in the dark ages. So what this meant is that my parents went to pick me up at the airport and I just wasn't on the plane and no one could contact them about why I wasn't on the plane. They didn't have the phone number for the camp handy and so couldn't call to figure out what the gently caress was going on. Basically my parents slept in the airport overnight panicking about why I wasn't there. I, meanwhile, pigged out on pizza and watched the Last Unicorn with my buddies completely oblivious to the clusterfuck. Then on my two flights back I sat next to a US Marshall who gave me his cookie and a little old lady who shared stories about her Bernese Mountain Dog with me the whole flight. So I was completely content while my parents were (very understandably) losing their poo poo. But I made it home in one piece so, mission accomplished!

I've also been to a poo poo-ton of day camps but those stories are less interesting. Camps are awesome and I'm definitely sending my kids to one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread