Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I was an assistant director at a camp for a number of years and I'm sorry to everyone that went to a poo poo camp. These can easily be the worst experience of your life instead of being transformative. I think that you can really lose out on what you can get out of these adventures by being a little too old or by having the camp have a culture more for the counselors instead of for the kids. I really encourage everyone to give working at one a try for a summer because you can make a huge difference in a kids life in addition to creating the kinds of friendship with other counselors that only come about by being stuck with the same group of people for 2 months in the woods. That said, I do love hearing about peoples hosed up camp experiences.

If anyone has any questions about being a big dog at a sleepaway camp I guess you can ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

JohnSherman posted:

How do they hire important people at summer camps? Did you just see a job listing and apply, or do they generally promote from within?

The American Camping Association has an email list where camps post their open positions for jobs that require experience or a specific skill set. The community is also very very close knit (both regionally and nationally) so if there is an open position, friends let other friends know. You'll also have staff that were campers, became CITs, became seasonal staff, and then got hired on full time. Some colleges have outdoor education programs that bigger camps will recruit directly from at yearly job fairs.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Dr. Platypus posted:

I saw a classified ad in my college newspaper (like five states away from where the camp is), applied and got hired over the phone.

We never hired anyone sight unseen but we definitely went to summer camp specific job fairs and posted fliers at the local colleges. Our seasonal staff was usually only about 30 so we tended to not go far but larger camps would need to easily. My director would hit a few states around Arizona when she worked out there.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

joebuddah posted:

I went to a church camp for many years as a child. My camp was in northern Indiana on a lake, and lasted for one week. As I remember it went like this. Breakfast in the morning was started by a bell ringing, morning worship , daily activity, free time ,dinner , vespers (evening prayer) then group games. This place had paddle boats and a water slide. Once you were in 6th grade or something like that you got a dance on Fri night. I don't remember much else except it was fun and I always spent a half my snack money on my "girlfriend" for the week. At the end of the week everyone got a printout showing all the campers names address and phone numbers. This was way before texting and email.

I would like to send my kids but it's too expensive without the help of my grandparents church who always paid half.

Lots of the public camps (Girl/boy scouts, YMCA) have scholarships you can apply for and in general tend to be more affordable.

• Locked thread