Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My fiancee and I are moving from the Chicago area to Philadelphia next month, and we're trying to how to best move all of our things over there. While we're both committed to off-loading as many large items as we can before the move (couches, one of our beds, other furniture), there are still a few things like my bed and my TV that I want to keep, and I'm sure she has some heavier things she wants to take with her as well, not to mention we'll have boxes full of assorted smaller items like clothes and kitchenware.

What are our options for getting everything over there? We talked about hiring movers to drive our things over, but according my fiancee it's at least $800 to do so, and with moving to a higher rent area and me not yet having a job lined up there that's a decent chunk of money to spend. I'd personally be OK driving a UHaul over myself, Chicago to Philly is about a 12-hour drive and I think we could get everything into a studio-size UHaul, but she's worried about me driving that far alone. There's also the option of tossing everything we can't fit into our two cars and just buying new stuff when we arrive, but again money is tight and I'd rather deal with the hassle of loading and unloading a bed, a TV, and maybe a bookshelf if we can save a few hundred dollars in the process. I've never had to make a move this far before, where leaving things behind makes some amount of sense. What do you all think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

C-Euro posted:

My fiancee and I are moving from the Chicago area to Philadelphia next month, and we're trying to how to best move all of our things over there. While we're both committed to off-loading as many large items as we can before the move (couches, one of our beds, other furniture), there are still a few things like my bed and my TV that I want to keep, and I'm sure she has some heavier things she wants to take with her as well, not to mention we'll have boxes full of assorted smaller items like clothes and kitchenware.

What are our options for getting everything over there? We talked about hiring movers to drive our things over, but according my fiancee it's at least $800 to do so, and with moving to a higher rent area and me not yet having a job lined up there that's a decent chunk of money to spend. I'd personally be OK driving a UHaul over myself, Chicago to Philly is about a 12-hour drive and I think we could get everything into a studio-size UHaul, but she's worried about me driving that far alone. There's also the option of tossing everything we can't fit into our two cars and just buying new stuff when we arrive, but again money is tight and I'd rather deal with the hassle of loading and unloading a bed, a TV, and maybe a bookshelf if we can save a few hundred dollars in the process. I've never had to make a move this far before, where leaving things behind makes some amount of sense. What do you all think?

UHaul or Pods ( http://www.pods.com/full-service-movers.aspx ). Pods is usually cheaper and also more convenient, but I'm not sure how it works if you're moving to/from apartment blocks. It's super convenient for suburban moving though.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
As someone who has moved a lot: Do not use Pods (the brand) shipping pods and do not use Uhaul trucks.

For shipping: Use http://www.upack.com/ "Relocubes". They are usually cheaper, especially if you have flexible dates and don't need door to door. I've moved twice with them and it's been great. Two people I know that used Pods had a bunch of their stuff ruined, and it's insured for like $.10 a pound (aka nothing). If you are moving to/from a city and don't have a spot for the pod, most cities allow you to get a permit to put it right on the street. If you are really getting rid of all your big items, a pod might be overkill for you though. You can really fill those things up if you plan it right. I easily fit everything for a 1 bed room apartment in one.

One thing to note about pods. lovely particle board furniture doesn't tend to do well unless you are very careful. I'd try to get rid of any of that if you have it.

For trucks: use penske. Uhaul tucks are garbage and no one takes care of them. Within a city, maybe ok. But long haul, NEVER.

After several moves I will always do the container method over truck. It's just so much easier and less hassle. Gas is cheap now, so the truck method might be cheaper though. Last time I did the calculations were when gas was quite pricey it was about even.

hbf fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 21, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We're leaning towards a truck right now but I might make the pitch for a pod. One big reason is that we both have cars and I'm not sure how we'll get both over there if we have to drive a truck as well. Do most moving trucks come with trailer hitches? We were going to go with Penske for a truck but I've also never had to tow something with a moving truck so I'm a little worried.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
yes, I think they might have some trucks with hitches. You might need to get something added to your car to make it tow-able. Don't think it's a great idea for long distances though and would be a huge pain to drive. I'd just leave it behind and either just sell it or get a cheap flight back and drive it later.

• Locked thread