Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

sbaldrick posted:

As much as I'd like this, I'm pretty sure Laurie has said he won't commit to living in the states again.

Is this right? This is may be because I'm a Brit and he might not really be a big deal in the States bit when Hugh Laurie first appeared I viewed it as a massive casting coup that they wouldn't use for just a few episodes. As I said though my opinion could be ridiculously coloured because he's a British treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
idk, he was on house for 8 years, 10 award nominations, and $400k an episode

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Well if he does end up taking over the ticket they can just go back to having an off camera president like they used to.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I like the little reminders that, no matter how much Mike gets poo poo on or how depressed he gets he still has by far the healthiest home life of any character on the show.

Also the second-to-last episode title this season is Testimony so I guess the data breach is gonna blow the gently caress up next week.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Richard T. Splett. Not sure why I said T, my middle name is John

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
No love for Katherine's parts? Especially Selena's "put it back" when they're surrounded by the Secret Service?

I'm impressed that they can make a character I can sympathize with so much but also laugh my rear end off at the terrible stuff happening to them.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

StoneOfShame posted:

Is this right? This is may be because I'm a Brit and he might not really be a big deal in the States bit when Hugh Laurie first appeared I viewed it as a massive casting coup that they wouldn't use for just a few episodes. As I said though my opinion could be ridiculously coloured because he's a British treasure.

His wife and kids moved back to the UK because they hated it here, so he won't do a full time US show again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

[Intruder in the White House]

Kent: :geno: "I had not anticipated this. This I had not anticipated."

Ben: "Well that sounds like the world's worst Dr. Seuss book."

I also loved Selena's head peeking out from behind a wall of Secret Service guys and her saying she thinks she should have a gun.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

His wife and kids moved back to the UK because they hated it here, so he won't do a full time US show again.

What does "full-time" mean in this context? It seems like 10 episodes of a half-hour HBO comedy isn't even close to doing 22 hour-long episodes of network TV. I could see him being POTUS/VP going forward, assuming his limited role means a comfortable shooting schedule. In general, it's not exactly like Hugh Laurie or Julia Louis-Dreyfus really need the money anyway.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just watched Helsinki.

Axis of Dick.

Carry on.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

[Intruder in the White House]

Kent: :geno: "I had not anticipated this. This I had not anticipated."

Ben: "Well that sounds like the world's worst Dr. Seuss book."

I also loved Selena's head peeking out from behind a wall of Secret Service guys and her saying she thinks she should have a gun.

Ben: "He said he's going to kill Tom James, and that bitch"
Selena: "He comes here to kill me and he doesn't even know my name?"
Ben: "I don't know, ma'am, maybe he was talking about Kent"

Watched it in the morning, had random fits of laughter all through the day from that one line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't really think of it until now but the way they freaked out over Tom wanting to legalize drugs made it super clear that Meyer isn't supposed to be a very good or moral liberal, she's just a less homicidal and competent Frank Underwood.

I mean when half the country has some form of legal weed it shouldn't be a big deal for a Democrat to say it's a good thing.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Legalized marijuana is a bit different from being able to pick up smack at Wal-Mart, though.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Another good episode. The random intruders idea was brilliant.
Also:
- How did that go down?
- Surprisingly well. Like vodka and cereal.

and Kent's "comeback" after Ben said that the "bitch" might have referred to him.
- I've got to take a gigantic whiz. Man, the siege stuff goes straight to my bladder.
- It's like if dogs could talk.

And Mike seems on the verge of a meltdown. I mean, he never was a fan of his work there to begin with, but it seems like he's going to be the next member of the team that quits or gets fired.
His first scene with his wife was great. He thanks her for the pep talk, then gets up to leave, remembers her birthday, tells her he got her nothing and *maybe* he'll have sometime later, and leaves her with the bill.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spoeank posted:

Legalized marijuana is a bit different from being able to pick up smack at Wal-Mart, though.

Well yes. If Kent had been like "Weed? Yeah sure, whatever" and then Tom said "No, I mean literally all drugs" and Ben had been like "Even LSD? Christ, I'll never sleep again!" then I would have understood it a lot better.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah theres a ton of historic precedent that prohibition and the war on drugs has been pretty wildly successful, so Tom's notions are pretty stupid.

zealott
Mar 30, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah theres a ton of historic precedent that prohibition and the war on drugs has been pretty wildly successful, so Tom's notions are pretty stupid.

Cant tell if you're trolling or not.

Successful in what regard, exactly? I'd like to read these articles that say the war has been a success.

According to the government "Illicit drug use in America has been increasing." : http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends

e:spelling

zealott fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 28, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't want Tom to turn out to be bad because I like his politics :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah he's cool, he just needs to be more careful about what he says in public.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zealott posted:

Cant tell if your trolling or not.

Successful in what regard, exactly? I'd like to read these articles that say the war has been a success.

According to the government "Illicit drug use in America has been increasing." : http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends

Apparently you've never read a P&L sheet on a for profit prison. :smug:

zealott
Mar 30, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Apparently you've never read a P&L sheet on a for profit prison. :smug:

Fair point, they are very successful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone who thinks the War on Drugs actually has anything to do with drugs is more politically blind than anyone on this show.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

precision posted:

Anyone who thinks the War on Drugs actually has anything to do with drugs is more politically blind than anyone on this show.

Cool story, something awful user precision. I'm glad we have you here to lay down the incisive commentary

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

sbaldrick posted:

Ok serious question with regards to this and maybe you know more than I, so if you do I'm being naïve and just correct me but aren't these sort of seasons filmed over a very short amount of time so if he wanted to he could perhaps only be in the US for a couple of weeks to film a while season. Again, as I said correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Fetus Tree posted:

Cool story, something awful user precision. I'm glad we have you here to lay down the incisive commentary

You could explain how it was "successful" at the very least.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Vanderdeath posted:

You could explain how it was "successful" at the very least.

If you can't tell I was being sarcastic you need to seriously re-evaluate what you're doing on this website.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Fetus Tree posted:

If you can't tell I was being sarcastic you need to seriously re-evaluate what you're doing on this website.

I'm just glad you're being sarcastic because I've seen honest-to-god "the war on drugs is justified" poo poo on the forums before. :smith:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

StoneOfShame posted:

Ok serious question with regards to this and maybe you know more than I, so if you do I'm being naïve and just correct me but aren't these sort of seasons filmed over a very short amount of time so if he wanted to he could perhaps only be in the US for a couple of weeks to film a while season. Again, as I said correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.
JLD said it takes about 5-6 days to shoot an episode, so about 2 months for the whole season. So yeah, it definitely takes less time to shoot a season of this than something like House which was both longer and had more than twice as many episodes in a season. Even so, there's still interviews and all kinds of appearances on other shows to promote the thing once they're done shooting. I think Laurie said in an interview that with House he basically only saw his family for 3 months or so every year.

Iannucci's leaving the show and going back to the UK after this season too but he's also a producer / director / writer, which makes it more of a full-time gig.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

Surely succesful in the sense that the enemy has been deeply wounded.

Of course, the enemy is not "drugs".

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm just glad you're being sarcastic because I've seen honest-to-god "the war on drugs is justified" poo poo on the forums before. :smith:

Its totally justified given the societal toll widespread drug use has on a culture.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

Its totally justified given the societal toll widespread drug use has on a culture.
... such as all the incarcerated young black men.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In principle, if it was somehow established that draconian "owning heroin = capital punishment" laws like in Indonesia actually significantly reduced usage of hard drugs and drug-associated crime, I'd defend them on utilitarian, against libertarian, grounds.

But will anybody dare to claim they do that?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

... such as all the incarcerated young black men.

Your point being..?

Drugs are bad. Widespread, unregulated drug use is bad. As a society, we can address drugs in two ways. We can either 1) do something to prevent drug use from eroding our society or we can 2) turn a blind eye to it. We've chosen to do something about it because we care about maintaining a safe, productive and healthy society. You may think the world would be a better place if violent drug dealers were allowed to roam the streets, but you're dead wrong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there were more good television people would do less drugs. Well, hard drugs anyway. Alcohol and weed only enhance good TV.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think a regulated drug trade, taxed and over-watched by the government, would be the best solution. The government would bring in more money than it does in fines, there will still be people to put in our for profit jail system since there will always be illicit drug dealers, and people that want to do a little coke on the weekend will be able to enjoy it with out having to deal with criminals. Not to mention since it will become mainstream a lot of potential users won't even try it since the sense of danger will be gone. Just wins across the board. And we could bring back opium dens!!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm all for legalizing every drug in theory, but in practice I don't really trust American college students with the ability to get powerful psychedelics at Walgreens. Things like LSD would have to be gently legalized somehow, because there is a vast ocean of difference between marijuana or alcohol or even opiates and LSD.

In a perfect world, it would just lead to lots of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9yew9JEu4

She's just so happy. :)

e: "Everything is in color!" :aaa:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Legalizing pot is alright. But does anyone actually argue that crystal meth should be legal?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Legalizing pot is alright. But does anyone actually argue that crystal meth should be legal?

Meh, it was legal before and the world didn't end. I recently learned that Erdös, one of the most published mathematicians in history, was constantly on meth or amphetamines and couldn't get poo poo done without them.

Maybe we should all go full meth and see where it takes us a society. Best case scenario is that we all pull an all-nighter and cure cancer and solve the energy crisis in record time.

Anyway, thanks for listing to my thoughtful and well presented argument in this VEEP thread.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
none of this has anything to do with veep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Air is lava! posted:

Yes.

Good talk.

• Locked thread