Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

In comparison to AC, the combat seems a lot faster and more varied, but the big thing I'm missing is the loud crack from knocking out an enemy, it actually sounds really pathetic in this game. Both AA and AC had really good sound design and that's something this game seems to be missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

jaydee864 posted:

By the way, Batman is voiced by Roger Craig Smith in this game, whom you may better recognize as Ezio Auditore from the Assassin's Creed 2 games or as the latest voice of Sonic the Hedgehog.

I actually like Roger Craig Smith as Arkham Batman more than Kevin Conroy--there's always been this huge disconnect for me, hearing TAS Bruce's voice with this quasi-realistic comic book Bruce.

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't remember ever doing that. If it's the thug I'm thinking of, you can also "rescue" him the same way as other civilians, then immediately knock him out.

In a room filled with Joker gas, a thug winds up hanging upside down 20 feet above the control booth for the ventilation system. The solution for being unable to access the door is to drop the thug into the Joker gas, through the booth's roof, and I'm pretty sure he lands on his head on account of being upside-down. Like I said, it would've been lethal if you weren't playing as Batman, but because you are playing as Batman, it's hand-waved.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 24, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Video 4 Notes

Riddler Informants Unlike in previous games, where they were procedurally added to random enemy groups, in this game the riddler informants are static- they always appear in the same locations, and are tied to static datapack sets as well. This works fine for the most part (there's a couple bugs with interrogation that can make one of the postgame ones impossible to get), but it serves to illustrate how much less sophisticated the backend design of the open world sidequests was.

Anarky Tags are terribad The Anarky tags are horrible. They follow a predictable theme- if a building has some sort of name on it, the odds are good that there's an Anarky tag around the building...somewhere. In principle, the idea of a detective mode-only collectible isn't terrible, but in previous games collectibles in the open world always had some way to tell you their location- for example, the Riddler informants, or the maps in Asylum. This is necessary and a good idea, because there's nothing particularly interesting or engaging about going over the entire map, inch by inch, looking for a glowing symbol in monochrome mode- it's just a hassle. The Anarky tags have no other location indicators, and are really, really hard to see sometimes- or aren't actually on the related building. On top of this, there's no way to tell which buildings you've already "cleared" except by process of elimination- so you have no idea if you're looking in the right part of the city. The tags are the second worst collectible in the game- the worst is coming soon. The Anarky tags feel like they were added to the game late in development- unlike other collectibles, there's absolutely no voicework or other tie-in material that explains where they're coming from. It's either that, or they were an early effort at building up Anarky that never got further developed. Anarky is a good example of how poorly integrated different parts of the game are- more on that later.

Buggy combat It's a safe bet that if Scruffy gets hit or whiffs a combo in these videos, at least 80% of the time it will be a bug, not a mistake on his part. Think about how much this is already happening.

Enemy Factions: All factions are identical combat-wise in AO, except that some factions have additional enemy types. I won't get into the details of future enemy types and factions until they appear, but so far we have seen:

Common Criminals: Basic, unaffiliated criminal mooks. The lowest of the low, with almost no special enemy types, though they do get armor, shields, and the basic weapons. Basically dumb and evil, but the closest to sympathetic of all of the people whose faces/limbs you break ingame.
Black Mask Goons: The main enemy gang- they eventually get versions of all but one enemy type, iirc. Written as Italian-American stereotypes, defined by their accents, golden chains, and willingness to be especially verbose about whatever plot stuff the writers wanted to remind you was going on. Some of the incidental/background chatter from these guys out in the world is really well-done and foreshadows later plotlines.
Penguin Goons: Penguin's guys are well-equipped, but not as much as in City-cosmetically, they're reskins of the common criminals. Their only significant trait is being afraid of Penguin, to a much greater extent than Black Mask's gang, despite, y'know, Penguin killing people who fail him and Black Mask apparently doing it for laughs. If there's a second trait to Penguin goons, it's that they're usually illustrated as easily duped by Penguin, who cons his own men as much as his enemies.
Police: We've already fought them near Riddler's hangout, and we'll fight more in the future. They also have relatively few special types. Thankfully, there's no moral nuance in Origins; police who attack you are always irredeemably corrupt, and the ones who aren't corrupt (or are less corrupt) are always victims you rescue.

Tracey and Candy: I actually find these guys about as offensive as previous portrayals of women in this series, but what really bothers me is the writers don't do anything with them.

Electrocutioner:
I honestly think making this a joke fight may not have been a part of the original plan. The game doesn't have a response for using any of your gadgets on him. You can check his unconscious body after the fight (you can do this with most named enemies you subdue, conscious or not).

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

KieranWalker posted:

I actually like Roger Craig Smith as Arkham Batman more than Kevin Conroy--there's always been this huge disconnect for me, hearing TAS Bruce's voice with this quasi-realistic comic book Bruce.

Totally agree with this. I never really watched TAS, but Smith just sounds more how I always imagined Batman to sound. He's got more of an edge that Conroy just seems to be missing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
As soon as she said "Proper naughty" in that accent, I wrote her off as the worst character in all of Batman. I hated the Anarky sidequest (and one other in the game) since they were both unforgivably dull and based entirely around "Scale every inch of Gotham in Detective Mode." Nobody has fun doing that. I know a lot of people were upset over Electrocutioner, but I laughed hard. It's something that should happen at least once. There has to be one guy on Earth who can't take a beating from The Batman. One guy who has a glass jaw. Sure it could've been done with someone who isn't supposedly 1/8th of the game's toughest bosses, but I still laughed.

Also, "Hack these comm systems before you can get to Penguin" is exactly what happened in the last game with the museum was it not?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Electrocutioner jobbing out is pretty in-character for him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SonicRulez posted:

Sure it could've been done with someone who isn't supposedly 1/8th of the game's toughest bosses, but I still laughed.

But that's the glory of it. The game brings him up, gives him a big intro reel for the 8 assassins and the "fight", but it also lets you know that he's just a street tough with a toy in the intro making the 1 hit ko comical and appropriate. The poor guy's just out of his depth.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I admit, Tracey and Candy's characters are designed to be 'eye-candy', and that made me fear that this game was going to be as bad with women characters as city was. But, no - these two are the worst, all other representations aren't nearly as bad. And, there is also a 'story-reason' why they look like they do, I.e. Ozzie would be insistent on them looking that way.

BTW re. What's coming up next do you know you can keep the combo meter on Deathstroke up by using the Batclaw? You can make the fight go faster, and it looks cooler.

Edit: never mind Tracey, what accent is Lester supposed to have?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm fine with Electrocutioner going down in a single punch. Batman once punched out Guy Gardner, the best Green Lantern (gently caress you, Hal Jordan!) with one punch. This guy's a chump compared to Guy.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

BTW re. What's coming up next do you know you can keep the combo meter on Deathstroke up by using the Batclaw? You can make the fight go faster, and it looks cooler.

I do know that and I use it a few times...buuuuuut...I don't know if it's because I'm playing on Hard difficulty or what but the fight still kind of drags. Wish I could do more to fix that. But yeah, I wish I could spread out the challenge maps and everything better but they're spaced pretty terribly. I'll probably start popping in the DLC maps as they become applicable, just gotta say OH YEAH HERE'S A NEW ENEMY TYPE.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Anarky tags's text being displayed by a white text on a white background doesn't seem like a good design - they're possible to read, but I don't think you should make it harder for your reader if you want him to know your ideology.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

KieranWalker posted:

Part of BTAS's charm was that Conroy could pull off this really great and affable Bruce to contrast with his Batman. And unfortunately this isn't JLU where he has more light hearted characters to play off of.

It still sounds weird to me because It sounds like RCS is trying hard to do an imitation of Conroy's batman but falling slightly short.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Part of BTAS's charm was that Conroy could pull off this really great and affable Bruce to contrast with his Batman. And unfortunately this isn't JLU where he has more light hearted characters to play off of.

It still sounds weird to me because It sounds like RCS is trying hard to do an imitation of Conroy's batman but falling slightly short.

Yeah, in a way Conroy would've maybe fit here better than the other games just because of the way you can go back to the Cave and shoot the poo poo with Alfred any old time. Would've given Conroy a chance to use his Bruce voice a little. Smith goes gruff all the time, which works when Batman's being a dick, which he is certainly being in this game, and I can definitely buy his Batman doing some of the more rear end in a top hat-ish things Batman does in City as well.

Also I'm very glad I found this LP because Origins is such a mixed bag for me. It is buggy but there's so many little things I like about it that really make me think that if there were just a little more time in the dev cycle, they could've made a better game than the last two.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

dscruffy1 posted:

I do know that and I use it a few times...buuuuuut...I don't know if it's because I'm playing on Hard difficulty or what but the fight still kind of drags. Wish I could do more to fix that. But yeah, I wish I could spread out the challenge maps and everything better but they're spaced pretty terribly. I'll probably start popping in the DLC maps as they become applicable, just gotta say OH YEAH HERE'S A NEW ENEMY TYPE.

I'd say go for it, but mention that you're spoiling a new enemy type in the in-post description of the challenge mode map. Maybe focus on the Deathstroke challenge stuff to give you some breathing room.

Szurumbur posted:

Anarky tags's text being displayed by a white text on a white background doesn't seem like a good design - they're possible to read, but I don't think you should make it harder for your reader if you want him to know your ideology.

You want hard to read, consider that his tags require x-ray vision to even see 'em in the first place.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I really didn't like this game. The unlock tree was awkward and barred off the "weapon break" combo, and I never got it. I could work around the off-feeling combat for the most part up until they started introducing a lot of bladed weapons into combat. Without a way to remove them from combat, I just got torn apart constantly.

I was also disappointed in the crime scene investigations being glorified cutscenes. They're stylish and all, but I'd have liked to be able to piece it together without Batman doing it all automatically.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If they felt like they had to put everything into a single unlock tree, then they should have just spread the armor upgrades throughout the tree instead of frontloading them.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Inco posted:

I really didn't like this game. The unlock tree was awkward and barred off the "weapon break" combo, and I never got it. I could work around the off-feeling combat for the most part up until they started introducing a lot of bladed weapons into combat. Without a way to remove them from combat, I just got torn apart constantly.

I usually run into the same problem but with shields. Wherever possible I like to keep bladed weapons in the fight because if you can reliably do the blade dodge takedown you get a pretty good method of an instant takedown and two ticks on your combo meter. Shields, though? I think they ramped up enemy aggressiveness in this game so shields can hit you with almost no notice, taking them out is almost always priority one for me.

Other regrets from challenge mode: I got up to a 200x combo on a DLC survival map and it got dropped when a new enemy type dropped in because it's poorly implemented against Bruce Wayne. But that's a story I'll get into later.

JT Jag posted:

If they felt like they had to put everything into a single unlock tree, then they should have just spread the armor upgrades throughout the tree instead of frontloading them.

They took a risk with the upgrade system and it didn't pay off. I usually save the health upgrades for last since I'm consistent enough in combat that I don't need it, but this forces me to use them to get to the good stuff. And that's terrible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Samovar posted:

Smith certainly does a good job here as Bale-batman, anyway.

Hmmm, Batman's extreme dickery here would work if he was slightly less of an rear end in a top hat in the later games. I find it odd that I am annoyed with the characterization in this game, not from how it is actually done in this game, but rather how it is hindered by games already made.

It's kind of weird, because he's not really all that much of a jerk in Asylum, unless you count throwing a Batarang at Joker while he was hanging over that pit at the beginning of the game and arguably his interaction with Ivy.

Granted, both of those people are even bigger jerks and serial murderers, so it all balances out.

Mr Confetti posted:

Didn't City have a line about the grapnel boost not being ready for safe use or something like that? Why does Batman have access to it in this game? I mean, I get it from a gameplay standpoint but in-universe he shouldn't have it. Such a minor thing but it bugs me.

I may be misremembering the line though. :v:

No, see, it's the Grapnel Accelerator. Totally different. :v:

To be honest, though, I don't mind. Not having it would've been far more annoying.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It kind of makes sense why he wouldn't have had the accelerator during Asylum, too, since he was traversing a far smaller area.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey it's time for a cool boss fight.

A Stroke Of Danger/Polsy

New character bios: Tracey, Candy, Penguin, Alberto Falcone

The fight drags on a bit and I think that's because hard mode increases the amount of health. It goes on longer than I'd like, but that's life! It's still a pretty fun boss fight and my biggest regret is MISSING ONE COUNTER since there's an achievement for not missing any.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think getting the achievement for that fight also requires you to not take any damage, because I had to redo the entire fight when an errant staff strike that wasn't cinematic cost me the achievement. :argh:

That being said, I kinda like Deathstroke as a boss fight. It's the first time Batman actually fights a boss without henchmen or mud monsters or something else popping in to distract your attention, I think.

Shame the animations from the Ra's al Ghul fight are so blatantly re-used, though. And several times at that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really liked the Deathstroke fight once i realized what was going on. When I first got it, I didn't comprehend that you have to wait during the cinematic and press triangle afterwards. It was really frustrating, but that was my fault. 3/8 Assassins down (even if Electrocutioner escaped, we know he's no threat) in what feels like the first hour and a half of the game. All to build up to something I considered to be a disappointing reveal.

Just once when someone says "What are you" I want him to say "I. Am. Batman!"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I love how we got a scene of the Penguin torturing a mafioso to establish how bad he is, immediately followed by Batman torturing him for information.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

a cartoon duck posted:

I love how we got a scene of the Penguin torturing a mafioso to establish how bad he is, immediately followed by Batman torturing him for information.

To be fair given that the penguin used the argument "I've seen your methods. I ain't done nothin' you wouldn't have done"(Or something like that) I'd say that was deliberate.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'd say that the Slade fight is a really great boss fight - really good music at the intro cutscene, and a nice, close-in camera makes it seem a lot more one-on-one than other fights in any of the other games. Only way I think it could have been improved would be if occasionally Slade threw in other kinds of attacks, e.g. blade attacks, unblockables and double-counter attacks.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's definitely a boss fight that could benefit from even more variety. It's enjoyable as it is but getting different takedown prompts like the slashing counter or some others later in the game would be huge. I mean, if you want to make him feel like a super dangerous 1v1 foe, him being a mixture of every close combat in the game would do it. He's hamstrung a little bit by the boss fight being so early in the game but it still feels pretty good overall. If he showed up later on once all the enemy types have been around for a little while would be pretty cool, maybe something they'll do in Arkham Knight.

Of course, Rocksteady is pretty adamant that Arkham Origins never happened so maybe not.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Of course, Rocksteady is pretty adamant that Arkham Origins never happened so maybe not.

That is shorthand for/the nice way of putting "WHY DID THEY CHANGE SO MUCH? We can't fix enough of that to make it work with what we already have."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

How did I never connect the dots that Slade in TT is Deathstroke :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I heard that Deathstroke was intended to be a recurring rival boss that would continue to fight Batman throughout the game. But then they ran out of time and decided to just give him this one fight.

Also, I can't be the only one who's amused by how Batman laments that he should've tied up Electrocutioner, only to leave without doing the same to Deathstroke.

FoolyCharged posted:

To be fair given that the penguin used the argument "I've seen your methods. I ain't done nothin' you wouldn't have done"(Or something like that) I'd say that was deliberate.

Too bad that similarity was lost on Batman. :v:

death .cab for qt posted:

To be fair, his M.O. in the TT series is a lot different. They also couldn't use Deathstroke as his name because it sounded too violent.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 26, 2015

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Some of Tracey's subtitles are super weird. And by 'weird' I mean 'I'm pretty sure that's not what she said'.

You fight like a bunch of old biddies, not 'bitties'. What would 'bitties' even mean? Biddies is an actual word at least. (It means old ladies)

What I'm saying here is I'm pretty sure the subtitle writer didn't know what her accent is supposed to be either. And neither did the actual writer because 'numpty' doesn't work in that context. 'Numpty prats', I can't even begin to explain why that's dumb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man I remember getting my rear end stomped so many times by Deathstroke in my playthrough because I couldn't button-mash the counter button fast enough during the "Deathstroke chops at you" segment.

While I probably have less complaints than most with this game, this video does have something that really bothers me: Like, at the end of that video, I don't think it's a big spoiler saying that Penguin really is safe behind the door and you really don't get him for the rest of the game. He just gets to sit there and mock you. There's a real lack of catharsis knowing that the villain is just taunting you behind that door.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Too bad that similarity was lost on Batman. :v:

Batman's powers are human peak physical condition, incredible detective skills, gadgets, and a complete lack of self awareness.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

If you've never heard of Deathstroke before the TT show like me, then you've got a good excuse.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, his M.O. in the TT series is a lot different. They also couldn't use Deathstroke as his name because it sounded too violent.
which is frankly a good thing, because "Slade" is so much better than "Deathstroke the Terminator".

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Isn't Deathstroke also a big deal on "Arrow"?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ah, Alberto Falcone, who, if this were indeed early in Batman's career, would later go on to sort out his optician's prescription, and take credit for being the Holiday Killer in The Long Halloween (Because he didn't actually want to be a mobster, he wanted bigger things. Y'know, like being a serial killer)

Definitely agreeing that it felt like Slade Wilson was meant to be more of a fixture in Arkham Origins, but the same applies to a couple of the villains, although I'd also agree that it's a fun boss fight when you realise what kind of fight this is. Of course, this leads into a problem I have with the game: A somewhat erratic difficulty curve. Killer Croc is a piss-easy first boss, followed by... Slade "Timing McCounterRight" WIlson. Still, I like the character of Deathstroke, even if his backstory seems to change from media to media. He even appeared as the antagonist of the short lived (and cancelled without warning) Beware the Batman, as an ex CIA agent whom Alfred had to report for... Well, being a sadistic and dangerous individual.

And yes, he's also appeared in Arrow and Smallville

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

There are other things you can do to Slade in that fight, like special combo takedowns if you can build up your meter (it doesn't one-shot him like it does the chaff but it chips his health nicely), gassing him out with a pellet or other fun gadget stuff. While I agree that multi-counters and red-counters would have given the fight more diversity those new attacks would need major tells for modes without counter icons, especially for I am the Knight mode.

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah this game was definitely meant to feature a younger, rougher Batman who fights fire with fire as it were.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Quiet Python posted:

He's a main character/antagonist in season 2 and 3 if I remember right. The actor that plays him on that show does a really good job as him I think.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I didn't figure out the timing thing for counters in Slade's fight (why would I? the game gives no indication and there's nothing like it before or after), so I just Batclaw slammed him to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Quiet Python posted:

As a part of the writers attempt to turn Green Arrow into Batman, yes.

• Locked thread