Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Holy gently caress, customer service hooked me up!

I hosed up and spent 270 crowns to deposit 300k food accidentally, due to the fact that their UI is hosed up for vaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
So, new farming trick. If you have time to farm, and need to hold onto that until you can spend it later, farm up at low medals, and then start climbing medals up to like 450-500. At that point, almost no one will attack you. Most of the attacks will come from people intentionally trying to lower their medal count. Every now and then, you'll get a real attack, but they'll wipe your whole base and give you a long shield.
When I've sat with any amount of resources at 200-300 medals, I get attacks that only do about 20-40% total damage, don't give me a shield, but still take 50% or more of what's available.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Just applied for Goon Privilege as Discworld. Let's loot some ham

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Applied to Goon Privilege as Sky Jesus. Let's ham up.

Lektor
May 1, 2013
applied to Goon Privilege as Lektor

psychicattack
Mar 22, 2003

Ask me why I don't punctuate the last sentence of my post

Malgrin posted:

This is for Flagonofwine. It's pretty close to what my old medieval base looked like. It's a lovely paint sketch, but I think you can figure it out. Black lines are walls, grey lines are structures. There were probably gates in there too. If you have extra walls, you can even create some space between the walls and your ballista.

thank you for sparing me the humiliation of saying "yeah I know someone took the time to help me out with base suggestions but gently caress you, I didn't read it so write it out again." I have been feeling bad about this for two weeks it would seem

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
I applied to 2poor4crowns as Dmaonk, but forgot to post here. Please accept me this time!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ooh, ballista troop space reduced by one! Then I can donate ballistas to medieval players!

Or so I thought. Apparently the troop space reduction only applies to me. Which is loving stupid. I thought the entire point of that perk would be so I can donate ballistas. Guess not.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

psychicattack posted:

thank you for sparing me the humiliation of saying "yeah I know someone took the time to help me out with base suggestions but gently caress you, I didn't read it so write it out again." I have been feeling bad about this for two weeks it would seem

Hahaha, well, I was like, I'm sure there are other people that could use this. It's probably not the best base you could build, but it worked fairly well. I felt like no matter what I did, they could get to my storages, so I made it really hard to get to more than half.
Still trying to figure out a good layout for Gunpowder....

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Built a new base. Doing pretty well so far.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
That looks quite a bit like my base. THIEF!
Actually, I take that back, I think I've stolen pretty much all your bases, and it's maybe had an impact on my base designing....

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Malgrin posted:

That looks quite a bit like my base. THIEF!
Actually, I take that back, I think I've stolen pretty much all your bases, and it's maybe had an impact on my base designing....

Haha, just looked at yours and there are definite similarities. I keep my bases looking most like this. I've tried centering Angkor and Acrop, and no way is that going to be effective. I like my style of base design.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jaysus posted:

Haha, just looked at yours and there are definite similarities. I keep my bases looking most like this. I've tried centering Angkor and Acrop, and no way is that going to be effective. I like my style of base design.

Yeah, I tried centering Angkor and leaving Acrop out, but either one of them takes up so much space inside your base that you lose the ability to segregate your mills/marketplaces. You end up with a base where a wall sapper and 20 goblins can take everything, and it sucks.
Also, how are your walls that level? I'm pretty sure cheating is the only possible answer.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Found the thread :toot: thanks Kid for linking me

Applied to goon Privilege as antecanis

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Trying out this for a Gunpowder base. Keeps all my garrisons within range of the Arcropolis, storages compartmentalized, and my cannons surrounded by walls. I rotate the gold/mill storages to be harder to reach depending on which I am currently saving up.

So far the best attacks have managed to take out 1 compartment and maybe rally an outer storage in a 2nd compartment. Still need to find a place for that tower at the top of the map.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, I tried centering Angkor and leaving Acrop out, but either one of them takes up so much space inside your base that you lose the ability to segregate your mills/marketplaces. You end up with a base where a wall sapper and 20 goblins can take everything, and it sucks.
Also, how are your walls that level? I'm pretty sure cheating is the only possible answer.

A LOT of farming. Horse gobs loving everyone's day up.

I make max ham and gold in a few hours usually.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Applied as Thronde to Goon Privilege

Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007
The key to farming in this game is to never get your army killed. Even if that means passing on higher value targets. In the end, you make the difference up by never having any downtime.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Orgytron posted:

The key to farming in this game is to never get your army killed. Even if that means passing on higher value targets. In the end, you make the difference up by never having any downtime.

I actually mostly just run with 30 of the resource cavalry, throwing 6-9 of them at a base at a time, looking for bases where I can pick up 75-100k of each per attack. It means a lot of nexting, which means I can usually build 6 units (with 3 barracks up) during each attack, and it takes a long time for me to run out of units. If I ever do, I just go do something for like 5 minutes and come back to it. It's a pretty efficient method, but I think I just spend less time at it than Jaysus.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I've applied at Goon Privilege as Siluvayne Piptown, the even dumber name I am stuck with I guess.

Thanks for the good strategies in this thread guys :)

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 11, 2015

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I feel like we should update the OP, especially in regards to wonders and countries. Maybe we should even put this at the top as very important information.

If you're new to this game, you have some fairly important, big decisions to make early on for which nation and which wonder to build. Jaysus and I have done a lot of talking, and we've really narrowed down your decision making. Don't worry, if you've picked the wrong nation or wonder, you can change it for 600 crowns. This game makes it pretty easy to farm up crowns, so don't panic, start saving. One problem with deciding on wonders and nations is that you frequently won't know how good a wonder is until you've played this game for awhile. So please take our advice, and don't waste crowns. I'm already up to 1800 wasted crowns, so don't do that.

Here is my general ranking for nations:
Greek: Pick this nation. Most importantly, you get the best unit in the game, the horse-tank, with additional hit points. You also get to finish any building early, +5 minutes per age. At enlightenment, you get to finish any buildings 35 minutes early. Finally, you get 5% back from any construction you do. This adds up over the course of the game.
French: They also get an improved horse unit, and its has improved damage. They get additional bonus troops from alliance members (+3), and they train armies faster, which is handy.
Romans are also pretty sweet. They get an improved foot soldier, and they become pretty badass in industrial when foot soldiers become ranged units. They also get +10% max army size, which will be significant when/if we ever get wars.
British are ok. They get improved archer range and +10% loot. It adds up.
Chinese look really good on paper, but really aren't that great.They get crossbow units that do extra damage, 1 free peasant, and bonus defenders. The extra peasant is useful sometimes, especially for upgrading walls. If you can upgrade walls anytime, you will almost never lose gold to looters.
Germans also get the improved foot soldiers, but they otherwise suck. Rally is bad, and glitchy, so getting an upgraded rally is inconsequential.
Japanese are pretty much the worst. They have an improved footman (strong damage). You get a town center that shoots arrows, and your peace treaties last longer (bought and due to failed defenses). These are both bad perks.
If you need more info on nations than that (really just pick Greek), go here:
http://dominations.wikia.com/wiki/Nations

The next significant decisions involve what Wonder to build. Hint: Most of them suck.
Bronze Age: Acropolis (Defense), Pyramids (Food), and Stonehenge (Gold). No, I didn't skip a wonder, there are really only three. Pick Acropolis, it speeds up the rate your defenders spawn. Later on, as long as you design your base around it, it becomes really strong, especially in Gunpowder. I'm maybe being a little to harsh on Hanging Gardens -- it is a good source of trade goods, but ONLY if you have 2 workers available at all times. Don't pick it.
Classical Age: has Notre Dame. Really, that's it, just go build it. You will save yourself so much time farming if you just build Notre Dame. Coliseum is worth mentioning because it shits out footmen. When paired with Acrop and Angkor, it becomes a bit of a mess.
Gunpowder Age: Angkor Wat, Versaille, Taj Mahal, and Temple of Tikal. Angkor Wat is amazing. It heals your defensive units in a pretty big circle. You will wipe your army against a half-decently built Angkor Wat base. Versaille is worth noting because it slows down nearby invading armies and ups the health of your attacking and defending armies. According to the wiki, the health bonus is 10%, and the slow is 40% within a 4 square range. Taj Mahal gives you +2% loot stolen from attacks, and a free mercenary army once per day. This is ok, but not great. Temple of Tikal is worthless.
Industrial Wonders: http://www.dominationspros.com/2015/06/industrial-age-wonders.html
In case you're a lazy goon:
Statue of Liberty:
Air Defense Attack +20%, Boost Range +8
Air Unit Training Time Reduction -20%
Kremlin:
Wall Health +20%, Boost Range +8
General Cooldown Reduction -40%
Eiffel Tower:
Factory Training Time Reduction -20%
Free 100 Oil per day
Based on this, I have to go with Statue or KremlinEiffel Tower. Eiffel is badI'm not even collecting oil yet, so I have no clue how much 100 oil per day is, and I don't know how much time I'll spend building things in the Factory. Jaysus may have a better idea of which of these is best because he's farther into enlightenment than me. Kremlin is pretty ok if you've put a ton of money into walls, and the General CDR is nice, since my Generals are frequently on cooldown from attacks. The general strength of air units in Industrial will really determine which of these two is best, so Jaysus will have to test the waters for us. Gate is laughably bad.

There are a couple other topics I want to write about we should probably put in here for new players.
Base Layouts: At some point I'll post my gunpowder layout, and then Jaysus posted his enlightenment layout on this page. Anyone want to post a classical and medieval layout that seems to work? One problem with layouts in this game is that wonder choices will dramatically alter how you build your base, but the general concepts remain the same: wall in resources and towers, don't have a wall that makes 4 corners, and stuff like that.
Attacking: In classical and medieval, using tanks + archers + footmen works pretty well to conserve your army and keep attacks going. Once you hit late medieval and early gunpowder, this method really starts to slow down in terms of efficiency. At that point, I really recommend raiders (we call them gobs or horse gobs cause CoC). These guys have pretty great health, take a minute and a half to build, and go straight for resources. You have to keep in mind that they die to 1 ballista shot, but they hold up well under catapults. Redoubts shred them pretty well, and a concentrated grouping of archer towers will kill them. However, using good planning, 6-9 of these can take 50-100% of resources in easy target bases. This will take you about a minute, and then you can queue up 6-9 more raiders and attack again while those build. I generally find I build 3-6 raiders between attacks (so I spend 1-2 minutes nexting most of the time), and I look for bases with a combined 150k minimum (e.g. 75k/75k), but usually aim for 200-250k. If I go for a 150k base, it's because I can take it with 3-6 raiders, it's a completely open base, or I've been nexting for several minutes and am getting twitchy. You can still take bases with tanks + men, but this takes longer, and the higher you get in medals, the harder it is to farm. At 200 medals, it's really easy to farm, and by just using raiders, you lose (mostly) and keep your medals down. Also, there's very so little benefit to league bonuses. It's pathetic.

Farms/Caravans: These things give even fewer resources than in CoC, so unless you spend time raiding, you will not make it to Medieval. Also, you can mostly ignore upgrading these...see my rant on the previous page about how little they pay out if you want a wall of text burned into your eyeballs. I was having a few bad days of raiding...it happens.

Upgrading: When you hit a new age, upgrade your library and blacksmith/armory early. Upgrading these opens new research options at each. Early levels, I'd recommend researching horse-tanks first, starting in Medieval/Gunpowder, raiders are great to research first. Then I'd really recommend leveling Generals as often as you can once you have a Castle. They're really great on both offense and defense. For defensive structures, I'd do Ballista>Catapult>Archers>Stables>Garrison, but don't have all of any one of those down at a time (unless you want your base to be really easy to run over -- in which case just spend all your gold before logging out). Several ages give you the option of adding another house. These are usually the most expensive (gold) upgrade in an age, and are absolutely worth doing asap. More peasants are better.

e: stuff from suggestions and whatnot.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 12, 2015

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Or get coliseum and watch all your little soldiers kill the other person.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Or get coliseum and watch all your little soldiers kill the other person.

I rarely have problems with a coliseum unless there's also an Angkor Wat.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Blugh, I chose my first wonder... poorly :whitewater: Glad I can change it, and thanks for the advice.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

100 oil per day is absolute poo poo, by the way. Not worth a drat thing. My oil wells get me 200 a pop (25/hour) and it's easy to pick off refineries with 3k in them with a couple horse gobs.

Colloseum is great when paired with Angkor Wat and Acropolis.

However, my Gatling gun Unit can eat up an entire crop of units in one burst, so as the ages move along, your colloseum becomes much less useful.

Notre Dame will never lose its effectiveness, until you have run out of blacksmith and library upgrades.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jaysus posted:

100 oil per day is absolute poo poo, by the way. Not worth a drat thing. My oil wells get me 200 a pop (25/hour) and it's easy to pick off refineries with 3k in them with a couple horse gobs.

I had a feeling this was the case. Editing above.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Malgrin posted:

I had a feeling this was the case. Editing above.

Word.

Also, I'm thinking Kremlin will be pretty drat legit. That extra wall strength is huge. Walls in this game are insanely necessary. I am about 50/50 level 7 and 8 walls, and they pretty much make me unattackable. The Kremlin makes you that much more of an unattractive target. However, I'm going to hold off until I see how effective air troops are.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jaysus posted:

Word.

Also, I'm thinking Kremlin will be pretty drat legit. That extra wall strength is huge. Walls in this game are insanely necessary. I am about 50/50 level 7 and 8 walls, and they pretty much make me unattackable. The Kremlin makes you that much more of an unattractive target. However, I'm going to hold off until I see how effective air troops are.

Yeah, my Industrial section is highly speculative. I think Air is going to be pretty good though. I think just Archer towers and Air Defense can hit them.

Good point about the walls. But, if air is really good, walls are pointless, so, I'm really not sure.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, my Industrial section is highly speculative. I think Air is going to be pretty good though. I think just Archer towers and Air Defense can hit them.

Good point about the walls. But, if air is really good, walls are pointless, so, I'm really not sure.

I watched some videos of air units, and they didn't go down very easy, but they seemed super weak. I'd imagine they will take up a lot of space and take a long time to retrain, like cannons. At industrial, horse tanks become literal tanks, and Greek tanks will have 16k hp and high DPS. That is going to be what people use for sure, and air attacks will be less common.

Total speculation, but I have a pretty good feeling it'll work out like that.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I am done with this game. Couldn't get into it. Feel free to kick discworld.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

I am done with this game. Couldn't get into it. Feel free to kick discworld.

If new updates make it more enjoyable or you want to try again, you're welcome back anytime!

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Mal ain't lyin about caravans and farms. Super worthless.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jaysus posted:

Mal ain't lyin about caravans and farms. Super worthless.

Hey, the higher level they are the more health they have. According to Dominations, that's apparently important...as there are multiple wonders that buff hp of random non-defensive buildings.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Ok, I messaged Soulex to ask if he's really done with this game, and if it's ok to steal most of his OP to rewrite a new one. I've started to rewrite it. Will probably post a new thread sometime this week.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
New thread here

P.S. How do we get a mod to close this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Applied to Goon Privilege as Stenwold Maker.

• Locked thread