Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SedanChair posted:

It's immoral for all the usual reasons criminal behavior is immoral: short-sightedness. Now the kids don't have their teacher, the teaching staff gets extra scrutiny and the school will probably close anyway.

This is a really bad argument. If what matters as to whether or not something is "moral" is short-term consequences then the people leading the march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in 1965 were behaving immorally because it caused the police to beat a bunch of them.

Those short-term effects only exist because of the law. If you believe that the specific law itself is immoral then breaking it to ensure the school remains open is the moral act.

The "failing public school system" is a meme that is without basis in fact. The public school system appears to work fine in richer neighborhoods where it is funded properly. It shouldn't be shocking that it fails when it is not funded properly. School-funding should be equalized per child, and not doing so should be a violation of equal protection.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

SedanChair posted:

Faking test results and getting caught is not exactly civil disobedience.

I'm not really trying to say that it is. I'm just pointing out that your logic of evaluating morality via short-term immediate consequences of an action is wrong.

I agree that it would have been more moral to engage in the better civil disobedience of refusing to give the tests in the first place. Your logic might also consider even that better civil disobedience immoral, though.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

wateroverfire posted:

They could have become whistleblowers but instead decided to collaborate. I know you don't believe in free will but that was a personal choice they need to be held accountable for in some way, if only so the next batch will be more inclined to report fraud instead of participating.

Yeah, gently caress them for trying to preserve the money used to educate students. Those assholes!

This whole thing where people want to take the moral high ground like the law is legitimate is really tiring. That law removes funding from the schools that need funding the most. It's hosed up, and it's immoral. People trying to prevent that from happening are not the bad guys. They were responding to the tremendously hosed up incentives imposed by the law. They did what any rational moral actor would do in order to protect their students.

Mentioning "whistleblowing," like it would have been effective. Give me a break. People have been blowing as hard as they can on loving whistles since before that law was passed, and nobody has listened. A case like this does more to demonstrate why the law is hosed up than other methods that would not have gotten smacked down by Rico.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread