Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My girlfriend has spent the last few years reforming her spending habits to be more responsible, but her lovely decisions in the past are still lingering.

Apparently a few years ago my girlfriend thought it was a good idea to take out a few short term loans from online loan companies who advertise on shows like Maury and Jerry Springer. Cash Net USA was one of them. Anyway, she was under the impression that the loans had all been paid back and she was done with them. Today she gets a call saying the company is filing a civil suit against her to recover the money she thought she paid back already. They want about $1000 after late fees which have been adding up over four years, because apparently after 90 days a lender is no longer required to let you know you owe them money.

She's willing to concede that she probably forgot to make a payment somewhere along the line. Which is fine. We can pay the $1000 back and just be done with it. I said it would be a good idea to go back through the loans she took out and confirm with bank statements that the rest of them had been paid. The only problem is that she kept no records of the loans she took out (:wtc:), she eventually deleted all those emails and they never sent any paperwork (:suicide:). So we have no way of knowing if she owes anything else, how much is owed, or who it's owed too. I really hope the only way to find this out isn't another random phone call announcing we owe X amount of dollars.

Is there any way of knowing so we can sort this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My girlfriend has spent the last few years reforming her spending habits to be more responsible, but her lovely decisions in the past are still lingering.

Apparently a few years ago my girlfriend thought it was a good idea to take out a few short term loans from online loan companies who advertise on shows like Maury and Jerry Springer. Cash Net USA was one of them. Anyway, she was under the impression that the loans had all been paid back and she was done with them. Today she gets a call saying the company is filing a civil suit against her to recover the money she thought she paid back already. They want about $1000 after late fees which have been adding up over four years, because apparently after 90 days a lender is no longer required to let you know you owe them money.

She's willing to concede that she probably forgot to make a payment somewhere along the line. Which is fine. We can pay the $1000 back and just be done with it. I said it would be a good idea to go back through the loans she took out and confirm with bank statements that the rest of them had been paid. The only problem is that she kept no records of the loans she took out (:wtc:), she eventually deleted all those emails and they never sent any paperwork (:suicide:). So we have no way of knowing if she owes anything else, how much is owed, or who it's owed too. I really hope the only way to find this out isn't another random phone call announcing we owe X amount of dollars.

Is there any way of knowing so we can sort this out?

ugh what a mess :(

Maybe you could have her go thru the credit bureaus and check that way...i think you would see then what is behind etc?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Will try and look into that.

At first we both thought it was a scam. That's how far out of left field it was. Really just want to pay and get it over with but no way of knowing how much more she owes I'd rather have her just declare bankruptcy instead of getting hit up for a thousand dollars here and there out of the blue. Just wish I knew hoe much.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Read this thread for help: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

What was the initial loan balance without fees? You can probably make a firm cash offer and tell them to gently caress off until they are ready to talk. It's not even worth them going to court over $1000, and they probably bought the debt at a fraction of the balance cost.

Like if the initial amount was $200, offer $250 or $300 final offer, otherwise they can plan to see you in court.

If they set a court date you might want to just settle though. I dunno.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

What was the initial loan balance without fees? You can probably make a firm cash offer and tell them to gently caress off until they are ready to talk. It's not even worth them going to court over $1000, and they probably bought the debt at a fraction of the balance cost.

Like if the initial amount was $200, offer $250 or $300 final offer, otherwise they can plan to see you in court.

If they set a court date you might want to just settle though. I dunno.

Yeah they said they'd probably be willing to waive the fees and stuff if we just paid back the original amount. Again paying this isn't really a problem. I just want to make sure that no more money is owed to a different loan company. Without any paperwork it's hard to tell.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Yeah they said they'd probably be willing to waive the fees and stuff if we just paid back the original amount. Again paying this isn't really a problem. I just want to make sure that no more money is owed to a different loan company. Without any paperwork it's hard to tell.
Make sure to make them prove they own the debt before you pay anything, and then also get everything in writing before you pay anything. Look up 'debt verification letter' on the Googles.

Pull her three credit reports and then make them an offer once she has verified the debt is valid.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
creditkarma.com is free.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Really didn't need this three weeks before I graduate. I have enough on my mind. Oh well, roll with the punches I guess.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Read some of the bad with money thread.. you got off easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Not empty quoting.

We have a megathread here for exactly what your GF is going through. Read the OP and a couple pages, then ask in there if you still have questions.

• Locked thread