Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
This clip is pretty much all I know about bars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud71mm2TxP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SweetKarma posted:

This clip is pretty much all I know about bars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud71mm2TxP4

*Fish Pose*

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I went to some bars in dallas one night and I guess it was fun, but I am a bitter, lovely person and a quiet drunk, and ultimately I hated everyone who wasn't in my group that was having fun around me.

If you want me to be sociable and nice, give me some kind of upper to shove up my nose. If coke was legal I'd rather go to coke bars.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I went to a bar, and there were all these tables, and I got in line to order drinks and once I got to the front some weird guy in an apron asked me what kind of sandwich I wanted. I said, "I would like a bourbon neat please" and he said they don't serve that, but they were running some great deals on these foot long shots for $5. They had weird names for them like "chicken club" which I assume was rum based with some wild turkey, so I got one of those. So I go down the line and they're asking me for all these details on my shot and I'm like "Motherfucker just give me the booze I don't need no loving veggie garnish" and I get to the end of the line and some crazy chick I've never even talked to starts trying to upsell me on another drink. Bitch, I don't need a chaser. Anyways, 2/10 also the music was terrible. I think they were just piping in the local pop station.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
There's two kinds of bars.

There's the one you go to to sit at the bar and have a beer while watching the game (and to get out of your house and away from your screaming kids), and maybe saying a few words to the bartender. This can be a bit awkward, but the older you and the bartender get, the more normal it is.

Then you have bars that you go to with a group of friends, and drink stupid drinks that cost too much and get progressively more and more drunk as the night goes on. Then you wake up at home without any money, and a hang over.

Both types have their pluses and minuses.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
only refer to the bartender as a mixologist and order their finest handcrafted, artisnal appletini

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I went to a bar, and there were all these tables, and I got in line to order drinks and once I got to the front some weird guy in an apron asked me what kind of sandwich I wanted. I said, "I would like a bourbon neat please" and he said they don't serve that, but they were running some great deals on these foot long shots for $5. They had weird names for them like "chicken club" which I assume was rum based with some wild turkey, so I got one of those. So I go down the line and they're asking me for all these details on my shot and I'm like "Motherfucker just give me the booze I don't need no loving veggie garnish" and I get to the end of the line and some crazy chick I've never even talked to starts trying to upsell me on another drink. Bitch, I don't need a chaser. Anyways, 2/10 also the music was terrible. I think they were just piping in the local pop station.

i bet this sounded hysterical in your head

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

the great deceiver posted:

only refer to the bartender as a mixologist and order their finest handcrafted, artisnal appletini

Life is not an episode of scrubs.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Another thing I don't understand about going to a bar is how to order a drink. I normally drink out of a water glass with some soda mixed in. If I'm out of soda I just double the ice. Can I just say that I'd like a glass of whiskey with some ice and soda? I don't really know the names of popular cocktails.

Epileptic Monkey
Jan 9, 2014

SweetKarma posted:

Another thing I don't understand about going to a bar is how to order a drink. I normally drink out of a water glass with some soda mixed in. If I'm out of soda I just double the ice. Can I just say that I'd like a glass of whiskey with some ice and soda? I don't really know the names of popular cocktails.

They'll mix whatever you like, most local bartenders that you'll encounter don't actually know the names of cocktails.

Don't ask for a horse's neck, ask for a ginger ale and whiskey.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
500 Internal Server Error
Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.
If you see them, show them this information:
AB38WEMWdcyXWzWcW_SQO2pM7dbykWtp6zNYTZ7Xi92bF0WmDvytH1Ji-ijQ
WpedxdCcSwfgLOUw6J-4NdzSw-w8ALnPFDEiof5F0-Y-Vu6PHOvl5lkk6x3M
qbm_9XEw75bgdjQZsme1PCJU0Dx7XFsmCCRgMEpxvzAOjYCNTNS75Zbv0loQ
YzcoaLdTRYbOA-oKXqgKXWRrwNkSfzXCpEwSxb0XsaWfSQGcC3XDs9NwFq1W
eBuudcPkJvpO-JO-dbCYD04MUSf0DAfbktzMIKr_abN58-5YG6FTOCr-mjIq
pinWbVrPIOHEWlPEzW0Sgz19mbJIA0Dcu64mDQnDXUIFURXTClT4lXgZRCA7
NkUaCpqVeKOjexP89saeOyBxg-k5J5i8F1Ch199Sy7Wm_7uUHuL6cg1g8Njg
Of67QkXS3bUJDchTxuQUvjO9GD4OYOSG7aFHy396dX_wZZLf7vxF8TBd-d_-
GDuW16dH67ES7gakOjtIxC25Y_Wf2Vh_AhqlV4xGTW84_qrR_VSGCh-f3JzL
Y6-dsoYLzKZRVqL3nKzdJU0ruXmn3KMeG8oPfPG16r8Z3G41KW4cifUNagU3
kvRQwE9RolLBecTpNxFzYcp3dsHipuEjY3DexMPZxJQ4BabvA0T12saMNC3C
VfLrvriusD15CckgtHa9ItEAI124yH9QCc8TJGJiruYl8vAP2yqXxa7chJ6A
BXDE8DWhJHyf-R30Gpa7Yg-1Dd9Hp2YbQ151-tSS34V89hveRS07DrLbbS8f
U_bjwhMOYsB2hgtLGUXaIsOaQRnH218WzrMst3tRwF1if-47ttm69MWQ9SYr
pPTyXJxiqG8xs1-QJ4yanvcIW9io4nRl23dES53z0LmxmjwJJo_af9_eUADs
QuKFXrurKkGCuYnXWPrznRvgB-IwJligOmsdxMU-uUzlFC2XqOjWHiFR6nht
oDBbWMdhjXwRWxWDxOLLphuW4xq62H4IKWQO9PAOZ6YdNdWaetlkZlts5zjr
Yd5a5xJqs4qBEEaNl1Jn8Imojd_Mc-8qu4EdAWb3OhvhUW1B94kibqg5wU5D
pDvmCi4NGr4IHwEkhcbYZIuB5h4pKs5CxCRyORNTde4FB8xlRxApc4LV4XDi
T1TPIyFuRxz4_kQzXgTdXhgILmwXe1U74fQjXDgcKzBQg-0gjHCuFJJ1MQab
JobuWQmEEMK0Hq-K-S1jH9mtjOj7P7EKPHqvQjuKXBExBxJKvNhCSSb54ZDo
M3A2JjmFWPboqMypKKqNJxnRW8MFKi0LRZyJ53JOHu2FT0XCuVicPDZF4vc9
ZCvDQoiGdGtTzpuDOOgwvNzqGJpizH_w256sMMsYlYjTO7w4BHj7zQ5QGRcF
TRtPLLiuThVDYKRJNj8rfLRcTDVyVY2DpI6chLJtqRGH2NhtnD5FeEvP9cTv
wKexMTIRYp_rGQFKeKpb_44B0-BTWyIIK3bg0df9kDZdpRcz0WyGl9OPDrW7
uB4qbIad6lvM0aKJdbEiuMr5h1aFQUzXC6b6nQSicBsE082FWPcXahh7_CWB
9rSjgHcpv7Aqyl3cxm2ezYDG2Cjd2M7I2jKuYcp67KLTEIG6OAjLxVKSXo80
6bnAg_d0zh_KAMIsfeRH62D1FhuEJk4tVcDtgwvG1s0uSOj6ikluAvCo0o4e
L_qXq91ROrEtl-UiRFGZtSquRboAtUrrX2Z2x9PVH0T-MNnD7Nn1hJVEOs1x
dyNud5ymAXQYvT2iHQRBd3blGAzpjDP7qsob3LOKu2g

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Epileptic Monkey posted:

ask for a ginger ale and whiskey.

You are some kind of mind reader. This is literally my favorite drink.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

SweetKarma posted:

You can indeed say "I'd like some bourbon with ice and soda water" and the bartender will bring it to you. He'll probably even poor the soda in front of you so that he can get the proportion how you like it (if the bar is quiet anyway).

Regarding tipping, I've always tipped with each drink unless I've started a tab (then I tip at the end based on total spend). A good rule of thumb is to tip $1 per drink ordered.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Head in to your local pub at around 7pm on a Sunday, then you will know what a bar is like.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

never buy bottled beer at a bar, op

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

50.50 chance of skunk

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

if you're gonna pay the $3.50 for a bud light you might as well have it out of a keg instead of the same bottle of beer you can get at the store for a third of the price

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
in summary, it is fun to go to a bar with your friends.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

in summary, it is fun to go to a bar with your friends.

and if you have no friends, you find the youngest person there and hit on them until you get a drink thrown in your face.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Business Gorillas posted:

But then how are you going to avoid getting roofied?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

But then how are you going to avoid getting roofied?

look man sometimes life gives you lemons you gotta make the lemonade!! :)

keeping you in my prayers....

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

SweetKarma posted:

Real bars aren't like an episode of Bar Rescue. Unless it's specifically supposed to be a "mixology" bar, most people aren't ordering named drinks. Just say "whiskey and coke with ice" if that's what you want.

Regarding tipping, most people do 50 cents (or whatever to round up to a whole dollar) to a dollar per drink. Whether you agree with this custom or not, that's just how it works. There are people (mostly bartenders) who will tell you to do a big tip in the beginning to guarantee "better service" or whatever, but if all you're getting is glasses of beer or "pour a shot and fill the rest with soda" drinks, I wouldn't recommend that as it's just a waste of money. If you want to be stingy, the best way is to just keep a tab open on a card and add the 10-15% tip at the end. Or just don't leave one if you don't care what the bartenders think about you. They'll still pour you your drinks even if you are an rear end in a top hat.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 16, 2015

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqakws0CeU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
fuckin lol if you actually go to bars. spend $9 bucks on a fuckin amaretto sour and $10 on some goddamn fruity rum drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

I've already had mushrooms, thahnks.

• Locked thread