Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was the weirdest thing to me

Wildstar seemed like the perfect game to make you feel like a badass

The non boss stuff should be you clowning on mobs and doing cool stuff

instead you just used all those moves with cool AOE ranges and stuff to just fight like one or two mobs that would kick your rear end, so they might as well not even have interesting moves or an action focus combat system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm just waiting for the string of news articles about carbine developers quitting to work on mobile games or just disappearing (since this IS NCsoft we're talking about) and the game being taken over by a new team.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Eonwe posted:

instead you just used all those moves with cool AOE ranges and stuff to just fight like one or two mobs that would kick your rear end, so they might as well not even have interesting moves or an action focus combat system

The only thing missing is exp loss on death.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
PvE people are the only people who like quality of life improvements

hardcore Raiding and hardcore PvP grognards actively think anything that isn't from the 90s or early 2000s is carebear

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Eonwe posted:

This is kind of what I was getting at. You've got this highly mobile action oriented combat system to go with the cartoon feel of the game yet if you get more than one or two full fledged mobs on you it often just falls apart.

Honestly, it feels like they wanted to do something less orthodox and said the gently caress with it halfway through.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 20, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Archonex posted:

As for the bugs and "hardcore" (Read: Tedious as poo poo.) gameplay, it was probably a mix of both. I could have dealt with the bugs, but the gameplay itself was just abysmal. Especially the grinding. Dear god. What the gently caress. Who thought the amount of grinding in this game was acceptable?
That raises a good question: what was the focus of gameplay supposed to be? It wasn't the grind because that was tedious and full of grindy mobs and adds that could kill you, but it clearly wasn't endgame raiding because they deliberately made it impossible.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Bauxite posted:

I'm just waiting for the string of news articles about carbine developers quitting to work on mobile games or just disappearing (since this IS NCsoft we're talking about) and the game being taken over by a new team.

Anything would be an improvement at this point tbf up and including literal clinically diagnosed imbeciles.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That raises a good question: what was the focus of gameplay supposed to be? It wasn't the grind because that was tedious and full of grindy mobs and adds that could kill you, but it clearly wasn't endgame raiding because they deliberately made it impossible.

It was all about making GBS threads on casuals on the forums while reminiscing about halcyon days of vanilla wow.

e: Anyway, if Carbine comes to their senses and rebalance everything for the f2p relaunch they still might salvage something, I mean at least the art style is not bad looking imo. It happened before (tor, eso).

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 20, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

It was putting your nuts in a vice and paying 15 dollars a month and 100+ hours for the privilege.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bauxite posted:

It was putting your nuts in a vice and paying 15 dollars a month and 100+ hours for the privilege.

this is extremely my poo poo

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I miss my houses. I ended up playing a bunch of alts to level 14 just to have more plots to build cool poo poo on.

My favorite was supersizing an empty bar cabinet and adding extra shelves and precarious stairs and poo poo to make it some weird giant play-set to live in.

Shame that's gonna be the first thing they'll cripple for free players when they go F2P :smith:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SarutosZero posted:

The only thing missing is exp loss on death.

Dropping your equipment for others to loot upon death.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Kinda surprised its not in there what with all the ra-ra-ra-hardcore bullshit.

Idea: permadeath for f2p players. :shepface:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you die in the game a dev drives to your house and punches you in the face

also, you lose XP the longer you are logged out

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Weapons degrade over both time and use, fully broken gear turns into a broken version of the item and can only be used as a crafting material to remake the item by another player.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

Dropping your equipment for others to loot upon death.

Permadeath

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
honestly I cant wait for real VR with realistic haptic feedback

because these devs will make an MMO where you strap yourself in and whenever you die they charge you $50 and then make the suit beat the poo poo out of you

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

cthulhoo posted:

Idea: permadeath for f2p players. :shepface:

What, and just hand these casual, no-sub cupcakes the Holy Grail of Hardcore MMORPGs? As if! :colbert:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Eonwe posted:

if you die in the game a dev drives to your house and punches you in the face

also, you lose XP the longer you are logged out

The company only has one van though so it might take a little bit before they get to each player. Can't respawn until they hit you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do make fun because I was never a hardcore raiding nerd, but I am a hardcore PvP nerd. I do try to realize that when I make fun of Wildstar

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

i am tim! posted:

What, and just hand these casual, no-sub cupcakes the Holy Grail of Hardcore MMORPGs? As if! :colbert:

God, could you imagine if the devs ran with this idea?

"New f2p hipster players will get easier attunements and simpler raids, because they need to be coddled. Not like you hardcore, manly old-school subscribers who will keep access to the original raid system because you're too badass to be coddled, ammirite?"

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Eonwe posted:

honestly I cant wait for real VR with realistic haptic feedback

because these devs will make an MMO where you strap yourself in and whenever you die they charge you $50 and then make the suit beat the poo poo out of you

At this point I'm honestly waiting for the devs to announce they're entering into partnership with chinese prison gold farming labour.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

God, could you imagine if the devs ran with this idea?

"New f2p hipster players will get easier attunements and simpler raids, because they need to be coddled. Not like you hardcore, manly old-school subscribers who will keep access to the original raid system because you're too badass to be coddled, ammirite?"

That's almost insane enough to work.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i would play just to support that dangerously insane and stupid idea if it happened

just because it would be hilarious

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id also talk about how the subs were pay to win while doing the raids

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

id also talk about how the subs were pay to win while doing the raids

Subs and Non-subs people won't be allowed to raid or form guilds together.

Why stop at 2 factions when you can have 4

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Eonwe posted:

PvE people are the only people who like quality of life improvements

hardcore Raiding and hardcore PvP grognards actively think anything that isn't from the 90s or early 2000s is carebear

I think the anniversary MC raid put this nonsense to bed. Even people who were heroic/mythic raiders/even old MC raiders were talking about how it was just a miserable experience.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Psykmoe posted:

I miss my houses. I ended up playing a bunch of alts to level 14 just to have more plots to build cool poo poo on.

My favorite was supersizing an empty bar cabinet and adding extra shelves and precarious stairs and poo poo to make it some weird giant play-set to live in.

Shame that's gonna be the first thing they'll cripple for free players when they go F2P :smith:

I remember that house, I made a bunch of furniture for you! I had the spooky graveyard with plushie ritual sacrifice scenes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think the anniversary MC raid put this nonsense to bed. Even people who were heroic/mythic raiders/even old MC raiders were talking about how it was just a miserable experience.

I think it was a good experience once, but even if you had fun with it you understood that you would never do it again and why it was so bad. It was a good experience in the same way that watching a really terrible movie with your friends is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

I didnt take part, so Im glad to hear this

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
I remember about a week or two after the release this "guide" was released for attunement to the raids. This honestly killed I think 85% of the player base who even CONSIDERED that they might want to raid. Here it is for you to look at

The world bosses were perpetually bugged and contested by the opposing faction. Because hardcore.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ

i didnt even know

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

two things. 1) I'm glad you didn't timg it, it's a much better effect when you have to keep scrolling down and get more incredulous as it goes on, and 2) the best thing about world bosses was you had to do different ones for your 10 total and if your progress reset at like 8 or 9 then you could not do that step anymore because there wouldn't be enough world bosses left to fill out 10 kills.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imagine instead rather than requiring those things that you were just like "oh yea for each of those things you do you can get some really cool skin or cosmetic or something"

it would provide an even better incentive than "in order to play the 'real content' you have to do this other dumb poo poo you arent as interested in"

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Bauxite posted:

two things. 1) I'm glad you didn't timg it, it's a much better effect when you have to keep scrolling down and get more incredulous as it goes on, and 2) the best thing about world bosses was you had to do different ones for your 10 total and if your progress reset at like 8 or 9 then you could not do that step anymore because there wouldn't be enough world bosses left to fill out 10 kills.

Within the first week or two you could kill the same bosses a few times to get credit. They hotfixed that out, and then reset the progress to be "fair" for other players if you hadn't completed it and had multiple kills. Then there were times where the quest would bug out and your "key" (the thing that would update every time you completed a step) would become corrupted or lost and then you'd have to START OVER FROM THE BEGINNING. Carbine's response to this bug was "welp".

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Bauxite posted:

two things. 1) I'm glad you didn't timg it, it's a much better effect when you have to keep scrolling down and get more incredulous as it goes on

Literally my exact response to reading it.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
The thing with that attunement is there were little "gently caress you" clauses to some of the steps. Like say the second step of getting 150 elder gems. I think if I recall correctly you were capped to how many elder gems you could get in a week at like 50/75 or something. So it would require you to max out your gems (play a lot) in order to complete this step quickly. If you didn't max out you were at least another week behind and it would still take 2-3 weeks minimum to do that one step.

Let's say you want to do dungeons to get your gems... See how it says silver dungeons are required? If you got a silver dungeon prior to getting your key it didn't count. Same with any other steps. Every step had to be completed IN ORDER. About a month into the release out of everyone in goon squad who didn't immediately quit after the trial period... I think maybe 6 people were attuned with almost ZERO others even completing ONE of the silver dungeon requirements. I ended up transferring to finish my attunement because the server we rolled on was dead (THANKS DOUBLESTEP) and the world bosses thing finally killed it for me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone have a breakdown of how involved some of the steps there are? Like, how do you acquire 150 elder gems? How many Veteran Adventures are there?

Also, is it just me or are steps 6 and 8 the same thing?

e: well, that was handy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of how involved some of the steps there are? Like, how do you acquire 150 elder gems? How many Veteran Adventures are there?

Also, is it just me or are steps 6 and 8 the same thing?

e: well, that was handy.

Adventures were separate things, think of it like a choose your own adventure novel in dungeon form, and it gets better when you find out that certain choices in the tree for the adventures broke constantly, so often times each adventure had a strict path anyway because all the other branches would break and you'd have to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
Essentially Carbine approached fun like you might approach fire. Any time there was any possibility of fun Carbine would come swooping in like a giant wet blanket (or more aptly a boot) and stamp that poo poo out ricky tick.

FOUND A WAY TO MAKE MONEY THROUGH A VENDOR? PATCH
FOUND A WAY TO FINISH YOUR ATTUNEMENT FASTER? PATCH AND PROGRESS RESET
SOMETHING IRREPARABLY BUGGED? MAYBE NEXT PATCH
THIS PATCH IS hosed? MAYBE NEXT PATCH
MANAGED TO GET INTO THE RAID? BOSSES ARE IMPOSSIBLE
MANAGED TO CLEAR A RAID? gently caress YOU CASUAL I ALLOWED YOU TO WIN BECAUSE gently caress YOU.

Video representation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48

• Locked thread