Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

I surrender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

its called Þorsdagr, op

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Zzulu posted:

i wonder if the women viking warriors raped lots of dudes as well

actually vikings didnt really rape very much

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/03/dna-map-of-uk-migration-history-shows-vikings-drew-the-line-at-pillaging/

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ello guvnah, bloody 'ell, got a lorry in me knickers im going to take the lift and boot, cheerio

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

dad gay. so what posted:

ello guvnah, bloody 'ell, got a lorry in me knickers im going to take the lift and boot, cheerio

holy gently caress that is an awesome caramel grillmacino

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

how the hell would they be able to do a scientific genetic analysis when the vikings took all the women they raped home as slaves or killed them outright

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

i wonder if the women viking warriors raped lots of dudes as well

Women cant rape, check your (viking) privileges.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

remember in S1 when that christian monk gets taken hostage and back in Kattegat they ask him if he wants to join in a 3some and he looks at her and just goes 'no that's against my faith.'

he hosed up big time imo

RoxiesMD
Oct 20, 2013

by LadyAmbien
I'm whipping my kid with a tree branch

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I'm the Queen of England!

Technically isn't the QoE a Viking, since she was descended from a Norman (1066) which were a merger of Viking invaders and locals?

So why has England let it self to this very day be ruled by non-English?

I mean there were only like 8000 Normans who took over, you'd think by now they could be kicked out.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Technically isn't the QoE a Viking, since she was descended from a Norman (1066) which were a merger of Viking invaders and locals?

I mean there were only like 8000 Normans who took over, you'd think by now they could be kicked out.

the Queen goes in "itt we are Germans"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Well, there were a lot of wars about it in fairness.

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME
Seriously though, we all wear these stupid horns on our helmets, and sing and poo poo. That's what we Vikings do. It's our thing!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
*gets destroyed by a moose*

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Hey guys, wanna have a sex boat party on Lake Minnetonka?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PowerBuilder3 posted:

A Viking was technically a Norse person who went out to sea to raid (or "go viking"). I don't think the QoE does that.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 17, 2015

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Techno Viking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMh8V04s7Ts

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
'I am a Northumbrian, born and bred, and quite frankly find the Vikings series an absolute insult. Can I just ask why most of you guys who like it put the Vikings on such a pedestal? We were one of the Viking's victims along with the Scots, Irish, French, Italians (the list is endless!). These people raped, murdered and slaughtered their way across Europe, yet this series more or less sets them up as some sort of an icon of warrior purity instead of showing them for what they really were - a set of hairy-assed Nazis, good at killing defenceless monks and unarmed villagers, stuffing their guts with stolen meat and drink and singing praises to their negative gods of destruction and murder.'

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

gggiiimmmppp posted:

let us listen to the traditional folk music of our ancestors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-43pOqheMY&hd=1

Fate of Norns is their best album. Johan Hegg has a role in some Viking movie.

Anyone who hasn't watched the Vikings show from History Channel, should. It's a goddamn entertaining show, however historical it may or may not be.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

johnny sack posted:

Fate of Norns is their best album. Johan Hegg has a role in some Viking movie.

Anyone who hasn't watched the Vikings show from History Channel, should. It's a goddamn entertaining show, however historical it may or may not be.

its very historical

the main character dies when the english king throws him in the snake pit

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Holy poo poo yes! Please come pillage me m'lady.

BTW everyone should watch Vikings on History channel, it's a good show, good actors, great music, and probably the most "historically accurate" thing History has made in a decade, though that isn't saying much.

Yeah. Compared to the native Brits and Franks they were beating up on, Vikings were super clean cut metrosexuals. What with their weekly bathing and well trimed hair and beards. Most ppl the Vikings would have come across would have been really loving smelly and gross compared to the women and men they were used to. A lot of Brit and Frankish women were probably a bit turned on by the clean cut buff axe dudes. And of course the men would want some of that sweet sexy shieldmaiden rear end.

That being said, rape almost certainly took place and was likely rather swift and brutal when it did because people are awful poo poo-heads then and now.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Moridin920 posted:

remember in S1 when that christian monk gets taken hostage and back in Kattegat they ask him if he wants to join in a 3some and he looks at her and just goes 'no that's against my faith.'

he hosed up big time imo

the history channel, ladies and gentlemen

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Dynastocles posted:

Anyone who watches the History channel and expects historical accuracy is a retard. Vikings is an awesome show

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
In between raping and killing I have a fairly peaceful farm going.

Also my wife is smoking hot and I am objectively happier than people living only a few hundred years later.

I mean I'm gonna die at thirty almost for sure but you know, such is life.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
But when you die, its gonna be totally awesome because youre in for an eternal drink-gently caress-fight-fest with all the other cool dudes.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Oh boy, sleep.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dynastocles posted:

?

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
You gotta feel really bad for all the Latinized Celts that got totally shafted when Rome bugged out.

All that lovely civilization and education poo poo, 0 legions to back it up. Poor bastards.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Dead Gay Romans posted:

You gotta feel really bad for all the Latinized Celts that got totally shafted when Rome bugged out.

All that lovely civilization and education poo poo, 0 legions to back it up. Poor bastards.

lmao owned

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
*does a bunch of hallucinogenic mushrooms*

*eats shield*

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

theres only enough shrooms for the shamans and berserkers but if you make nice maybe one of them will let you drink his piss before battle

naem
May 29, 2011

The Vikings had a great system to get rid of excess young men. The oldest son inherits land, wealth, titles etc; the youngest gets sent off on a "magic adventure" to "fight the enemy"

Here, this sheild is magic. This is a magic sword. No really! Yeah so, ok get in a boat, go attack the first people you see, and try and take all their stuff, good luck! If you die you go to heaven!

Like 90% of them died, the few who actually successfully attacked some foreign people somewhere and took valuable stuff and then found their way home had the down payment on a house or whatever and got treated like a hero. Meanwhile your home population is stable and manageable.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
living by the equator is dumb because you can make fire but you can't make water

#iceislife

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

LegoPirateNinja posted:

living by the equator is dumb because you can make fire but you can't make water

#iceislife

If I had to be some dumb rear end loving poor person a millennia ago I would def rather be one of those dudes in an island paradise than shivering in some goddamn shack up north. That's why they never conquered much poo poo; I mean what's even the point they have everything already?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this is my viking waifu

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

this is my viking waifu

Her actress is 37 years old and can still pretty much pass for 20.

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

In between raping and killing I have a fairly peaceful farm going.

Also my wife is smoking hot and I am objectively happier than people living only a few hundred years later.

I mean I'm gonna die at thirty almost for sure but you know, such is life.

you survived childhood. you will probably live to your 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Hey guys, wanna have a sex boat party on Lake Minnetonka?

lol

• Locked thread