Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Bluemillion posted:

This is basically the only poo poo that matters here.

Why isn't Chewbacca grey? At least give him a grey nose area like an old dog or something c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Concerned Citizen posted:

an object the size of a star destroyer crashing into a planet would have suffered vastly more damage and likely caused a castrophic explosion, rather than just sort of get buried in the sand a bit.

nice try, disney..

this is making a lot of assumptions, such as the fact that it had an entirely uncontrolled atmospheric entry

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

an object the size of a star destroyer crashing into a planet would have suffered vastly more damage and likely caused a castrophic explosion, rather than just sort of get buried in the sand a bit.

nice try, disney..

Yeah I thought the same thing but it still looks cool. Also atmospheric re-entry would gently caress it up.

Maybe a Jedi brought it down with the force, or maybe they were on full reverse the whole time going 'gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress'

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I wonder how they're going to explain older Leia bearing no resemblance whatsoever to younger Leia due to Carrie Fisher's years of chemical abuse and awful plastic surgery?

She joined the dark side and became a monster like palpy

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Maybe chewbacca uses just for wookies hair coloring

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

InterFaced posted:

15 minutes of chewy fixing his comb over like American Hustle.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I thought the same thing but it still looks cool. Also atmospheric re-entry would gently caress it up.

Maybe a Jedi brought it down with the force, or maybe they were on full reverse the whole time going 'gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress'

star destroyers are made of really buff metal so that's why it's mostly fine

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

InterFaced posted:

This is the explanation I'm sticken' with. It is canon within my own mind. My headcanon, if you will.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

It's J.J.'s fault*....he turned the Enterprise into a ship that could fly anywhere so maybe now Star Destroyers can too?

*As far as I know the Enterprise was never built or flown on Earth prior to Abrams-Trek?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I dunno that whole underwater Enterprise thing was weird too but Star Trek's tech has always kind of just been 'whatever it's magic' to me so it didn't bother me all that much. They've got force fields and poo poo that are more than just shields, and the Enterprise seems like it has really powerful engines that aren't dependent on backwards thrust really. Not sure what their propulsion is.

I do know (because I am a dumb nerd) that Star Destroyers are built in orbit because they are too big to launch from the ground though. Plus they have the massive engines in the back. Makes me think they aren't really capable of atmospheric flight.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe that star destroyer was landed there on purpose and then it tipped over.

Maybe wookiees never go grey. I mean, not every animal with hair goes grey when it gets old. Maybe Chewie has to be a dominant male in order to become a silverback, and since he'll always be Han's bitch, he's a total beta and will always be brown!

Hey, is Carrie Fisher gonna be in this movie? I wanna see gross old fat Harrison Ford making out with gross old fat Carrie Fisher.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I do know (because I am a dumb nerd) that Star Destroyers are built in orbit because they are too big to launch from the ground though.

You only know that due to EU stuff which is now disavowed. They don't show a star destroyer being built in any of the canonical films, do they?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alright. My nerdy quibble with the ruined star destroyer is that you dont see any evidence of a crater, even though the environment has shifting sands.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe wookiees never go grey. I mean, not every animal with hair goes grey when it gets old. Maybe Chewie has to be a dominant male in order to become a silverback, and since he'll always be Han's bitch, he's a total beta and will always be brown!

Uhhhh... Excuse me.

Han Solo spared Chewbacas life after being ordered by an Imperial Superior to execute the wookie.

Chewbaca owes Han Solo a blood debt.

Chewbaca is not Hans bitch you turdbutt.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Wait...

I mean...

R2D2 is a cool robot.

I dont know much about Stars War.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

psyopmonkey posted:

Wait...

I mean...

R2D2 is a cool robot.

I dont know much about Stars War.

trying too hard

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Helical Nightmares posted:

Alright. My nerdy quibble with the ruined star destroyer is that you dont see any evidence of a crater, even though the environment has shifting sands.

maybe its really windy and its been there awhile. I have no quibbles because it looks cool as fuk and I'm a simpleton.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Fetus Tree posted:

trying too hard

Youre one to talk.

:smug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
star destroyers are hard and have shields

owned, nerds

fucken OWNED

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Helical Nightmares posted:

It's old as gently caress idiot. Crashed years ago. WHo care?/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

You only know that due to EU stuff which is now disavowed. They don't show a star destroyer being built in any of the canonical films, do they?

Yeaaaah technically I only know that due to EU stuff but also I can say I know that because there's no way you're building a massive capital ship like that on a planetary surface unless it's a super low grav planet or something.

Who knows though. Not a big quibble either way the shot is amazing.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah there's no way sand could just like, blow over something, and then blow away from it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Moridin920 posted:

Yeaaaah technically I only know that due to EU stuff but also I can say I know that because there's no way you're building a massive capital ship like that on a planetary surface unless it's a super low grav planet or something.

Look at mr-i-know-everything-about-capital-starship-construction here

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah no way these giant aircraft carrier could be built on land simply too big!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

oh my god

OH MY GOD

was a 7/10 until I saw han solo

HAN FUCKIN SOLO PEOPLE

it's people like you that remind me not to see this in theaters

OMG mark hammill applauds for 20 minutes like maybe mark hammill is listening

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Kilmers Elbow posted:

*As far as I know the Enterprise was never built or flown on Earth prior to Abrams-Trek?

Sure it's not Earth... and it wasn't exactly flown...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I know everything about capital starship construction in a fantasy SF universe of the far future, which is capable of superluminal flight and laser beams that fly in little chunks slow enough for the eye to follow and laser swords and oh, also, a magical life force thingy possibly made by midichlorians in your cells or some poo poo.

psyopmonkey posted:

Uhhhh... Excuse me.

Han Solo spared Chewbacas life after being ordered by an Imperial Superior to execute the wookie.

Chewbaca owes Han Solo a blood debt.

Chewbaca is not Hans bitch you turdbutt.

more EU poo poo

LOL if you read star wars novels, just LOL

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

biznatchio posted:

Sure it's not Earth... and it wasn't exactly flown...

Crashed.

BY A WOMAN

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who's the woman with the stick in the trailer

I bet she's gonna ruin some guy with that stick

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Zzulu posted:

Who's the woman with the stick in the trailer

I bet she's gonna ruin some guy with that stick

sticks will gently caress you up in Star Wars

Evidence- Boba fett, ewoks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nice try, disney..

Force Unleashed strikes again!

Also, the Star Destroyers in Episode 2 and 3 were capable of atmospheric flight.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 16, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Huh that looks good I'll probably see that

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
light sabres are actually metaphors for dicks

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

InterFaced posted:

almost losing your laser sword in a sarlacc was the closest luke got to marriage

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

InterFaced posted:

The Schwartz is strong with this one.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

why would you build a capital ship on the surface and then have to take it into space versus just building in orbit and making the ship's lasers be capable of shooting down onto the planet?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah no way these giant aircraft carrier could be built on land simply too big!

A Gerald Ford aircraft carrier (the new ones) have a displacement of about 100,000 tons, and don't have to fly. An Imperial Star Destroyer is like 6.4 million tons and has to fly.

The amount of energy you'd need just to get 6.4 million tons out of the atmosphere at once is ridiculous, there's no reason to build it on land.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
hahahahahahahahahaa yeah lets argue about how much an imperial star destroyer weighs in this thread

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

why would you build a capital ship on the surface and then have to take it into space versus just building in orbit and making the ship's lasers be capable of shooting down onto the planet?

A Gerald Ford aircraft carrier (the new ones) have a displacement of about 100,000 tons, and don't have to fly. An Imperial Star Destroyer is like 6.4 million tons and has to fly.

The amount of energy you'd need just to get 6.4 million tons out of the atmosphere at once is ridiculous, there's no reason to build it on land.

look if chief o'brien can modify the shields to make a cardassian space station weigh less and move it with only six thrusters so can the empire bitch

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

:agreed:

The only reason I can think of is that you need gravity for some large scale industrial process. Assuming you cannot generate it in orbit by spinning the structure.

But I'm not that well versed in physics so :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

hahahahahahahahahaa yeah lets argue about how much an imperial star destroyer weighs in this thread

bro I still have two hours of work to kill, let's do it

InterFaced posted:

look if chief o'brien can modify the shields to make a cardassian space station weigh less and move it with only six thrusters so can the empire bitch

see but that's what I mean about the magic tech Star Trek has that Star Wars doesn't

• Locked thread