Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

see but that's what I mean about the magic tech Star Trek has that Star Wars doesn't

Motherfucker, they had tacyons, and further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

see but that's what I mean about the magic tech Star Trek has that Star Wars doesn't

Wait isn't the force literally magic? Also, how did Luke fly to the Degobah system in an X-wing? Isn't that a short-range fighter?

brb gonna try to scrub the nerd off myself with steel wool.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Its weird that Hammill is a good actor now and Ford loving sucks and just depresses me on sight

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Concerned Citizen posted:

an object the size of a star destroyer crashing into a planet would have suffered vastly more damage and likely caused a castrophic explosion, rather than just sort of get buried in the sand a bit.

nice try, disney..

Because it was in freefall the entire time, not controlled in any way right.

Jet fuel can't melt steel.

EDIT: I'm not going to wait in line for this, but I will drag my wife to the good theater in the next town to see this.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

InterFaced posted:

Wait isn't the force literally magic? Also, how did Luke fly to the Degobah system in an X-wing? Isn't that a short-range fighter?

um xwing has a hyperdrive and weighs 100 metric tons

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

psyopmonkey posted:

The Schwartz is strong with this one.

this would be a funny caption on a pic of the b lack stormtrooper

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

kindermord posted:

this would be a funny caption on a pic of the b lack stormtrooper

:eyepop:

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
That star destroyer being intact isn't necessarily a flub. It could've blown it's engines in space and got locked in a retrograde orbit allowing it to achieve forward velocity for a crash landing rather then sinking directly into the planet like a boat lol. If it did fall from a perpendicular vector it would have disintegrated upon entry, so no gently caress-off crater. Sorry nerds.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
it landed safely actually, it was just abandoned because it was too broken to warp anymore so it was useless

the entire crew died on that planet after turning on eachother and trying to kill and eat one another as they were starving. Now they are ghosts haunting the wasteland

Disney confirmed it

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
iwanna gently caress a dog.g

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
That star destroyer was intentionally crashed into that desert in an attempt to make it look as baller as possible.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Jar Jar Binks is a good Star Wars character, consistent with the camp silliness of the overall franchise and is no more silly or out of place than han solo's groaning sidekick bear or the goblin that teaches magic to luke skywalker.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

ha ha ! here you go op i handcrafted this photoshop for you a little play on the starbucks macchiato theme that's been rolling around ha ha starwars! need my coffee to go watch new starwars!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InterFaced posted:

X-Wings have hyperdrive, they can do FTL without a carrier ship. TIE fighters were built to be as small and efficient as possible, so no hyperdrive. They need a carrier ship around to shuttle them places, which is why in A New Hope you've got the 'no it's a short range fighter, it wouldn't be out here by itself' line.

The force is literally magic but that's why I said 'maybe a jedi pulled it down out of orbit or something.' It doesn't like run their engines and guns and stuff.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have the video of the BB8 droid? How does that work? Magnets?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Prorat posted:

Magic Force Magnets, how do they work?!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

coldplay chiptunes posted:

iwanna gently caress a dog.g

same

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Prorat posted:

yes. magnets.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

can't wait to sip down astarwars themed machiatto while i watch this flick!! Little florettes of whipped cream on top the that barista calls stars!

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

InterFaced posted:

yes. magnets.

I can understand the helmet staying on because of magnets but how do they make the thing roll?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I love that the ball droid is a real thing and not just cgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z688N12LpGM

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

biznatchio posted:

Sure it's not Earth... and it wasn't exactly flown...

well you see the saucer section hull is naturally aerodynamic and the descent was controlled enough (even tho fuckin' troi was piloting lol) that the crash landing was only marginally destructive to the superstructure, in addition to the fact that the superstructure is solid duranium and also structual integrity is mostly guaranteed by structural integrity fields, not the actual structure itself, and,

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

les fleurs du mall posted:

Jar Jar Binks is a good Star Wars character, consistent with the camp silliness of the overall franchise and is no more silly or out of place than han solo's groaning sidekick bear or the goblin that teaches magic to luke skywalker.

wow racism much?

----------------

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
God drat your signature is annoying.

----------------

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

I love that the ball droid is a real thing and not just cgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z688N12LpGM

Holy poo poo. I am not qualified to post in this thread. I did not know it was real.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Theyre trying to do the whole "real props and sets" as much as they can this time, which i like

Less bored actors staring at lifeless puppets in a greenscreen hellscape

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

InterFaced posted:

Holy poo poo. I am not qualified to post in this thread. I did not know it was real.

Neither did I, that thing is weird

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

Less bored actors staring at lifeless puppets in a greenscreen hellscape

Ian McKellen started crying on set one day because of that crap. He said something to the effect of, "I didnt get into acting to sit alone in a room and talk to a ball on a stick".

Poor dude.

:smith:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
the stormtroppers look like apple products

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Simstim posted:

the stormtroppers look like apple products

In the future, there is only Siri.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ok so, Han Solo looks old as poo poo while Chewbacca hasn't aged a bit.

Also, Luke Skywalker told his son that his father HAS the power of the force... meaning they are going to have Darth Vader still alive somehow.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

psyopmonkey posted:

Ian McKellen started crying on set one day because of that crap. He said something to the effect of, "I didnt get into acting to sit alone in a room and talk to a ball on a stick".

Poor dude.

:smith:

The movie came out like poo poo because of it too. I mentioned that to a friend watching the Hobbit and he goes 'oh so is that why all the dialogue is wooden as gently caress and there's zero chemistry between any of the actors?'

psyopmonkey posted:

God drat your signature is annoying.

sigs off

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
needs more lando

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.
Not to rain on the whole magical space physics set loopholes or whatever, but the fact that we're seeing a lot of grounded locations is a good thing. Look at the original star wars and empire, the vast majority of scenes are in scifi designed, but they're relatable settings like farms and homes or fortresses and trench warfare. Even the millennium falcon has a loving living room in it. So our characters are fighting some evil threat among the crashed ruins of the epic war we watched. Who the gently caress wants to watch them running around in shapeless field/crater of rubble. gently caress that, I want em shooting at storm troopers on the ravaged deck of a star destroyer, that's way more interesting.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

think i might get some glosette peanuts to snack on while i watch tthis feature flick!

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Hairy bros, tiny vests, crouching a little when you fire a sidearm one handed.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

will probably see the movie with a cute hunny and she'll turn to me and ask "is this the new star wars movie that ur taking me out on a romantic date for?" and I'll say "why don't u buckle up and prepare for an intergalactic ride, because maybe, just maybe it is"

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.

social vegan posted:

think i might get some glosette peanuts to snack on while i watch tthis feature flick!

Gross. Sour patch kids all the way.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Are they Tie Fighter drones or something? They look really small.

Well, anything is going to look small while inside your mom's hangar bay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

:allears:

• Locked thread