Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

What bothers me is the SA culture in general. I've thought about it at length yesterday, and realized that SA are essentially a bunch of jealous ludites. Here are some examples why that is true:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

2) SecondLife allowed for unprecedented communication, collaboration, and creativity. Players there got a chance to explore design, fashion, and architecture skills they never even knew they had. They used their creative skills to make new games, experiment with fashion in virtual space, and practice things like investment and business/real estate management before building real life businesses using those skills. People there earned from thousands to millions of dollars using nothing other than their brains and creativity. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them by making random penises fly around, and when told that they are causing serious damage and costing actual money, their only reply was, "don't take it so seriously."

3) Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible with it. The only reason it has any value (and the thing SA seems to focus most on) is that it is impossible to duplicate, and has a guaranteed limit on quantity, which is extremely unusual in the copy/paste digital world. But besides inflation resistance, it can do awesome things like, for the first time ever, allow software to own valuable property. This was never possible before, w/ closest thing being that a program could control bank accounts or own contracts in someone else's name. Now, for the first time, it's possible for a program or a "virus" to own money, decide on its own how to spend it, and actually take it with it as it travels around the web. The possibilities for AI, concept of property, and ownership/copyright law are mind boggling. This is just one example of many that Bitcoin allows for, and those that realize such possibilities are working hard to make them come true, earning real money in the process (as much as $6,000 a day, or $2.3mil a year). The only thing SA has contributed was to willfully stay ignorant of basic finance and economics and make fun of those involved with bitcoinOther than that, all they are able to do is stare at the system without understanding it, or being able to figure out how to make anything out of it. As they have with SecondLife, or any other fandom or technology.

All this makes me think that SA goons have absolutely no imagination or drive. On the contrary, the group seems to be based around making fun of anyone who shows any sort of imagination, or attempts something out of the ordinary. They are like a pot of crabs, grabbing and dragging anyone who dares try to escape and achieve something back down with them. The group has no accomplishments to its name, other than being a nuisance to everyone else, and providing a circle-jerk of entertainment to its members in the style of bullying people they don't even want to understand. Any discovery of scammers or bad people in other communities is at most a purely accidental result of them being so eager to try to attack anything and anyone. This of course suggests that the SA group consists primarily of losers, who lack any initiative, imagination, or drive, and who's actions only suggest that they are jealous of those who do (which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

My biggest pet peeve is ignorance; especially willful ignorance. Racists, religious extremists, jingoists, and ludites who believe they are right, and everyone else is an idiot, who are afraid of anything they don't understand, and actively try to avoid understanding or learning new ideas. SA is in that group, and that's why I hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Didn't read. Have fun at Reddit!

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
agreed

edit: with the op that is

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im gonna hatefuck all your pretty mouth-holes

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
:agreed:

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
why would anyone read all that?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Loetax sell SA for bitcoin

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
:redass:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Furry, second life, bitcoin. That would be a hat trick, if this were 3 years ago.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

sounds like you've got a lot to get off your chest. have you told your therapist about all this?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I didn't actually read the OP but from the first words of the paragraphs I think you're some kind of a furry bitcoin enthusiast so I sincerely hope you get over your brain problems. Namaste.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Furries are weird and gross

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
please use your bottom to engulf a cactus, op

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

Highly Unnecessary posted:

What bothers me is the SA culture in general. I've thought about it at length yesterday, and realized that SA are essentially a bunch of jealous ludites. Here are some examples why that is true:

1) Furry fandom is a community of incredibly artistic people, full of painters, writers, musicians, and entertainers, who organize, put together huge international conventions, and raise hundreds of thousands for charity while contributing tens of millions of dollars to local economies of the cities hosting those conventions. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them.

2) SecondLife allowed for unprecedented communication, collaboration, and creativity. Players there got a chance to explore design, fashion, and architecture skills they never even knew they had. They used their creative skills to make new games, experiment with fashion in virtual space, and practice things like investment and business/real estate management before building real life businesses using those skills. People there earned from thousands to millions of dollars using nothing other than their brains and creativity. The only thing SA contributed is to make fun of them by making random penises fly around, and when told that they are causing serious damage and costing actual money, their only reply was, "don't take it so seriously."

3) Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent. We are only scratching the surface of what is possible with it. The only reason it has any value (and the thing SA seems to focus most on) is that it is impossible to duplicate, and has a guaranteed limit on quantity, which is extremely unusual in the copy/paste digital world. But besides inflation resistance, it can do awesome things like, for the first time ever, allow software to own valuable property. This was never possible before, w/ closest thing being that a program could control bank accounts or own contracts in someone else's name. Now, for the first time, it's possible for a program or a "virus" to own money, decide on its own how to spend it, and actually take it with it as it travels around the web. The possibilities for AI, concept of property, and ownership/copyright law are mind boggling. This is just one example of many that Bitcoin allows for, and those that realize such possibilities are working hard to make them come true, earning real money in the process (as much as $6,000 a day, or $2.3mil a year). The only thing SA has contributed was to willfully stay ignorant of basic finance and economics and make fun of those involved with bitcoinOther than that, all they are able to do is stare at the system without understanding it, or being able to figure out how to make anything out of it. As they have with SecondLife, or any other fandom or technology.

All this makes me think that SA goons have absolutely no imagination or drive. On the contrary, the group seems to be based around making fun of anyone who shows any sort of imagination, or attempts something out of the ordinary. They are like a pot of crabs, grabbing and dragging anyone who dares try to escape and achieve something back down with them. The group has no accomplishments to its name, other than being a nuisance to everyone else, and providing a circle-jerk of entertainment to its members in the style of bullying people they don't even want to understand. Any discovery of scammers or bad people in other communities is at most a purely accidental result of them being so eager to try to attack anything and anyone. This of course suggests that the SA group consists primarily of losers, who lack any initiative, imagination, or drive, and who's actions only suggest that they are jealous of those who do (which is perfectly exemplified by their whining about how Bitcoin is unfair, benefits early adopters, and their insistence on the belief that everyone involved with it is a selfish idiot who's only philosophy is "F*** you, got mine."). And judging by the few people I know in that group, including even my ex, that seems to be completely true.

My biggest pet peeve is ignorance; especially willful ignorance. Racists, religious extremists, jingoists, and ludites who believe they are right, and everyone else is an idiot, who are afraid of anything they don't understand, and actively try to avoid understanding or learning new ideas. SA is in that group, and that's why I hate them.

source your quotes

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm gay.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh relax, sheesh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrExTlkwkko

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ancient Mariner posted:

source your quotes

Don't. The best part of these threads are the idiots who come out thinking the OP is being earnest.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

quote:

Contemporary strivers lack the tools with which people in the past have differentiated themselves from their peers: They live in a post-virtue, post-religion, post-aristocracy age. They lack the skills or inspiration to create something of genuine worth. They have been conditioned to find all but the most conventional and compromised politics worthy of contempt. They are denied even the cold comfort of identification with career, as they cope with the deadening tedium and meaninglessness of work by calling attention to it over and over again, as if acknowledging it somehow elevates them above it.

Into this vacuum comes a relief that is profoundly rational in context—the self as consumer and critic. Given the emptiness of the material conditions of their lives, the formerly manic competitors must come to invest the cultural goods they consume with great meaning. Meaning must be made somewhere; no one will countenance standing for nothing. So the poor proxy of media and cultural consumption comes to define the individual. In many ways, cultural products such as movies, music, clothes, and media are the perfect vehicle for the endless division of people into strata of knowingness, savvy, and cultural value.

These cultural products have no quantifiable value, yet their relative value is fiercely debated as if some such quantifiable understanding could be reached. They are easily mined for ancillary content, the TV recaps and record reviews and endless fulminating in comments and forums that spread like weeds. (Does anyone who watches Mad Men not blog about it?) They are bound up with celebrity, both real and petty. They can inspire and so trick us into believing that our reactions are similarly worthy of inspiration. And they are complex and varied enough that there is always more to know and more rarefied territory to reach, the better to climb the ladder one rung higher than the person the next desk over.

quote:

Likewise, the internet exists to perpetuate the idea that there is some meaningful difference between fans of this band or that, of Android or Apple, or that there is a Slate lifestyle and a This Recording lifestyle and one for Gawker or The Hairpin or wherever. Not a word of it is true. There are no Apple people. Buying an iPad does nothing to delineate you from anyone else. Nothing separates a Budweiser man from a microbrew guy. That our society insists that there are differences here is only our longest con.

This endless posturing, pregnant with anxiety and roiling with class resentment, ultimately pleases no one. Yet this emptiness doesn’t compel people to turn away from the sorting mechanism. Instead, it draws them further and further in. Faced with the failure of their cultural affinities to define an authentic and fulfilling self, postcollegiate middle-class upwardly-oriented-if-not-upwardly-mobile Americans double down on the importance of these affinities and confront the continued failure with a formless resentment. The bitterness that surrounds these distinctions is a product of their inability to actually make us distinct.

The savviest of the media and culture websites tap into this resentment as directly as they dare. They write endlessly about what is overrated. They assign specific and damning personality traits to the fan bases of unworthy cultural objects. They invite comments that tediously parse microscopic distinctions in cultural consumption. They engage in criticism as a kind of preemptive strike against those who actually create. They glamorize pettiness in aesthetic taste. The few artistic works they lionize are praised to the point of absurdity, as various acolytes try to outdo each other in hyperbole. They relentlessly push the central narrative that their readers crave, that consumption is achievement and that creators are to be distrusted and “put in their place.” They deny the frequently sad but inescapable reality that consumption is not creation and that only the genuinely creative act can reveal the self.

This, then, is the role of the resentment machine: to amplify meaningless differences and assign to them vast importance for the quality of individuals. For those who are writing the most prominent parts of the internet—the bloggers, the trendsetters, the über-Tweeters, the tastemakers, the linkers, the creators of memes and online norms—online life is taking the place of the creation of the self, and doing so poorly.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Hobohemian posted:

Furry, second life, bitcoin. That would be a hat trick, if this were 3 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it was, yes.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
You know what is truly wrong with sa? No one is going to read your well thought out post but everyone will still reply.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
someone post the furboner coffee table

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This catchphrase is so dead, it's been dead for like a decade.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

This catchphrase is so dead, it's been dead for like a decade.

You but now it's posted :airquote: ironically :airquote: you know, it's okay to poo poo post and be terribly unfunny, just gotta do it ironic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

demonicon posted:

You but now it's posted :airquote: ironically :airquote: you know, it's okay to poo poo post and be terribly unfunny, just gotta do it ironic.

Same is true with hating women and using the words mom won't let you use to describe them, if you do it in irony fashion, it's not really hate.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
pretty internet hate machine

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

InterFaced posted:

someone post the furboner coffee table
yeah the funniest thing about that quote is that the guy who wrote it had that erotic furry coffee table lol

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Lmao at furry art being good. It's anime foxes and tigers all the way down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Highly Unnecessary

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Edgy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

JazzFlight posted:

erotic furry coffee table

i need to see this

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

rezatahs posted:

why would anyone read all that?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I read all your post OP and I will make it my life mission to correct SA and make it as good as you and I.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
:argh: Goons not liking what I like...ARGH!! :argh:

It's a world wide internet out there, I'm sure you can find lots of places to talk about the furry art you plan to buy with your bitcoins.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
At least he has a fitting user name.

EDIT:
:nws:https://ircimg.net/UQqrY.jpg:nws:

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 17, 2015

tada.wav
Dec 24, 2013

Volume posted:

Don't. The best part of these threads are the idiots who come out thinking the OP is being earnest.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This should be enough to earn OP one of those furry stars.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Wuntvor posted:

At least he has a fitting user name.

EDIT:
:nws:https://ircimg.net/UQqrY.jpg:nws:

That's the stuff. Yeah.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

nice troll 9/10 :wal:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, looks like the OP thinks furries are... good!?? :wtc: Let's pause to spit out our drinks in shock and then GET HIM BOYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I always walk around my house in the morning with a calm expression and a giant fox erection.

• Locked thread