Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Takoluka posted:

I hope that's the case, because I would love to buy a bunch of these for wherever I go.

That's what I'm thinking. I just bought one for work and my girlfriends house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Thermopyle posted:

Something much cheaper than my Moto 360 that looked just as nice but only showed notifications rather than having a touch screen and the ability to interact with notifications would be a pretty good value proposition.

You just described a Pebble.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

I was going to post that before but he described something that looked as good as the Moto 360. The pebble always looked good, but it never gave off any sense of fashion or style. I know whenever I had to go somewhere nice, I swapped out my Pebble for something traditional.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Why are people assuming there won't be huge strides in the tech of these devices when competition is just starting to heat up?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

YMMV, but I have one of these (well, same Chinese factory, I guess) and it's infuriatingly lovely. You have to place your device just right and be careful not to touch it lest you knock the coils out of alignment.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Desk Lamp posted:

Why are people assuming there won't be huge strides in the tech of these devices when competition is just starting to heat up?
Because Moore's Law is slowing down for silicon processes and battery technology hasn't had a major breakthrough in ages.

Things will continue to get a few percent better every year, but legitimate huge strides would surprise me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Grim Up North posted:

YMMV, but I have one of these (well, same Chinese factory, I guess) and it's infuriatingly lovely. You have to place your device just right and be careful not to touch it lest you knock the coils out of alignment.

Any good alternatives?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The biggest changes will be more power-efficient processors and more sensors in more watches as Wear provides support for more things. I think we'll see a lot more GPSs and WiFi antennas in the next generation, for example.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, battery density is the killer and we haven't exactly been crapping out new display technologies left and right. Certainly there have been improvements, but there's only so much impact it can have on a 300mAh battery.

Innovation in this space is going to come from the software stack, how helpful and hands off it can be, not necessarily from hardware specs. Sure we could get to the point where the hardware can no longer run the software, but I'm not seeing that as a constraint any time soon.

It's android wear itself that is going to bring innovation to this space, not the SoC inside the device or how much bezel it has.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's android wear itself that is going to bring innovation to this space, not the SoC inside the device or how much bezel it has.

Bezels won't be a source of much innovation, but they will be a way for manufacturers to differentiate. I expect to see more and more devices with identical innards but different fashion aspects.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
True, but there's probably about 10 times the R&D going into this segment than there was a year or two ago. I would hope to see some unexpected pleasant surprises somewhere along the line, a game changer like the iPhone and iPad did for smartphones and tablets.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'd expect battery technology to affect smart phones a year or two in advance of smartwatches, and so far we've seen no evidence of that, nor of anything on the immediate horizon. So far up to this year smartphone battery differentiator is size and quickcharge, neither of which is a concern for a device that can hold maybe 300-400mAH of a li-ion battery and charges at a maximum rate of 760mA.

So yeah, your moto360v1 will last until v4 probably before the battery life just gets unbearable for even a day.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dr Cheeto posted:

Your watch is going to become obsolete. In a year you're going to be looking at the 360v2 and seeing leaps in terms of battery life and probably several additional features. Between two and three years I'd be shocked if the manufacturer continued pushing Wear updates. God knows when the battery will cease holding a charge for a full day. Maybe you'll wear that watch three, four years, but it's not going to last half as long as a traditional watch would, which is the context of that comment.

The only thing that matters in this paragraph is the battery beginning to stop holding charge and is the reason I used the word "mostly". The 360v2 won't make my 360 work worse.

Three Olives posted:

No, I said something as good looking as the 360.

Desk Lamp posted:

True, but there's probably about 10 times the R&D going into this segment than there was a year or two ago. I would hope to see some unexpected pleasant surprises somewhere along the line, a game changer like the iPhone and iPad did for smartphones and tablets.

Probably not going to happen. It will be just gradual evolutionary changes for the next half a decade and if there are any big breakthroughs it likely won't be anything to do with wearables pushing technology forward, it will be something like a new battery tech that would happen even if wearables didn't exist.

Anyway, none of that matters to the utility of the smartwatch you buy today. The main thing that will cause you to need to buy a new watch is the battery dying as it reaches the end of it charging life.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 12, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

peterjmatt posted:

"Traditional" watches aren't 46mm. The IWC big pilot, the watch that arguably launched the hugewatch trend is only 46mm. That Invicta must be at least 50mm, a size anyone but Arnold Schwarzenegger would laugh at.
Both the Invicta and the Moto 360 in my picture have a diameter of... 46mm.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

nmfree posted:

Both the Invicta and the Moto 360 in my picture have a diameter of... 46mm.

I know the Moto 360 is 46mm. My point was that 46mm is larger than "traditional" watches. The recent trend of much larger watches doesn't represent "tradition": it's been a short-lived but popular fashion which is already starting to slow down among the major watch makers.

As for the Invicta, it just looks larger than the 360. Some watches look bigger than their measurements due to a variety of design factors. The lack of lugs on the Moto are probably a big factor in making it appear smaller. It will certainly wear smaller on your wrist than the Invicta.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Got asked by a nurse today if my Moto 360 was the Apple Watch. :smith:

Good news was, when showing her the heart rate function, it matched the ECG machine I was hooked up to.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spookygonk posted:

Good news was, when showing her the heart rate function, it matched the ECG machine I was hooked up to.

I get asked that all the time, and have been since I bought it (long before the apple watch was actually available).

Also, they all call it the "iWatch"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Every smartwatch is an Apple Watch, just like how every tablet is an iPad.

There was probably a time when every smartphone was an iPhone, but now it's either an iPhone or a "samsung". All about that name recognition.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Logikv9 posted:

All about that name recognition.

It's almost trademark erosion at this point.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nobody posted that the Moto 360 is the Woot of the day? I'm disappointed in you all.

I think this is the clearest sign yet that the Moto 360 2 will be announced soon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Logikv9 posted:

Every smartwatch is an Apple Watch, just like how every tablet is an iPad.

There was probably a time when every smartphone was an iPhone, but now it's either an iPhone or a "samsung". All about that name recognition.

Never heard 'a samsung' It's always, Is that a 'Droid'?

Rastor posted:

Nobody posted that the Moto 360 is the Woot of the day? I'm disappointed in you all.

I think this is the clearest sign yet that the Moto 360 2 will be announced soon.

360 hits $100/$110 and I'm jumping on that. Perfect pricepoint for my notification mirror.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

spookygonk posted:

I've gotten the same thing since the Apple Watch was announced. Oddly no one has seemed less interested in it after finding out that it is "The Android one".

TraderStav posted:

360 hits $100/$110 and I'm jumping on that. Perfect pricepoint for my notification mirror.

Get the G Watch for like $60 or wait a few months for a Wear with fewer compromises. Frankly right now all the Android Wear devices have glaring compromises and the second gen is right around the corner.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 14, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

G Watch doesn't get the WiFi update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

Frankly right now all the Android Wear devices have glaring compromises

Three Olives is always wrong.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
He's right in that case though? The 360 is regarded as the best and it has the performance and battery problems caused by the old SoC, plus the flat tire that bothers a lot of people.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

butt dickus posted:

He's right in that case though? The 360 is regarded as the best and it has the performance and battery problems caused by the old SoC, plus the flat tire that bothers a lot of people.

Along with no OLED, always on display or ambient light sensor. The Sony Smartwatch 3 is interesting but inexplicably does not have a heart rate sensor. The fitness tracking on all of them apparently suck which means I wear a Fitbit Charge HR along with my smartwatch.

You can have an always on all day OLED but no GPS or ambient light sensor. At this point there is no reason there has to be compromises on all the devices, it doesn't have to have GPS but it needs an accurate pedometer, after calibrating my Charge HR stride length it is accurate within a few percentage point both running and walking yet the Wear devices can't even accurately count steps.

Sorry, everything out there is painfully obviously a first gen device, wait for second gen or buy the cheapest first gen, at least this close to the second gen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The 360 has an ambient light sensor. That's part of why it has the flat tire.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

butt dickus posted:

The 360 has an ambient light sensor. That's part of why it has the flat tire.

Yes but outdated SOC and no always on display.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Three Olives is always wrong.

lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Does it get all day battery life with ambient display now?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Three Olives posted:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I don't have one, but you're supposed to be able to get a day with it after an update that came out a while back. Why are you asking this like you knew all along immediately after making two posts claiming the opposite?

I guess that answers my question.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you turn on ambient display and turn off tilt-to-wake you get a pretty reasonable battery life in my experience.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

I wouldn't call any of those "glaring" issues.

It lasts all day with always on screen, and the flat tire thing is just a subjective issue.

Sure, they all have issues, none of them are really objective glaring issues.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
You can say that all of the first gen Android devices are lacking in some way, but really you have price points ranging from $100 to $350. You have to expect that there is going to be a range of features and abilities. That's the Android ecosystem all over.

I got the Asus Zenwatch for $150 (open box) and have been really happy with it so far. It would have been nice if it had GPS, a better heart rate monitor, and inductive charging instead of it's snap on cradle, but I can not complain about any of those for the price. I don't care about wifi on a watch at all until there is a feature that makes more use of it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I wouldn't call any of those "glaring" issues.

It lasts all day with always on screen, and the flat tire thing is just a subjective issue.

Sure, they all have issues, none of them are really objective glaring issues.
He said compromises, which is correct. The flat tire is a compromise to allow for the light sensor and thin bezel. The bad battery life is a compromise to keep it cheap. Those are the two biggest complaints with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

He said compromises, which is correct. The flat tire is a compromise to allow for the light sensor and thin bezel. The bad battery life is a compromise to keep it cheap. Those are the two biggest complaints with it.

Still wouldn't call any of that "glaring".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's not a device that exists anywhere in any ecosystem that doesn't have a compromise in some form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It's not if it had any compromises, it's if they were "glaring" or not. That's entirely subjective, and Thermopyle and I disagree on the matter. That's probably why he bought one and I didn't!