Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jastiger posted:

Why did you pay? Why didn't you just remove your name on the thingie

I dunno, gently caress him. Getting parking tickets and not paying them.

U gotta get his name and address and signature to transfer ownership. I don't know who it is -> I can't do that. They also put up a stink if he isn't there in person to transfer ownership, since the buyer is supposed to turn in the paperwork (even though only the seller is going to have this ticket problem)

Basically if he gets pulled over then loving good because he didn't register it under his name so it is still legally mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I had to tell the police that I wrote on the bill of sale that a stipulation of the sale was he turned in the form and he didn't so he doesn't own it yet and has stolen it.

Its the stupidest hassle in the world and still isn't resolved until they find the stupid thing which they wont because they aren't going to look for a $200 moped that was reported stolen.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They were really annoyed at filing it and told me i should instead find it myself and get a bunch of big guys to sit on it till he comes to ride it around and basically kidnap him to the DMV lol.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

They were really annoyed at filing it and told me i should instead find it myself and get a bunch of big guys to sit on it till he comes to ride it around and basically kidnap him to the DMV lol.

Stereotype posted:

then not registering the sale with the DMV

I get your argument, and it is a raw deal... but how else are the ticketing agents supposed to know whose bike their ticketing if you don't tell the DMV its not your bike?

Otherwise, people could be all, "Oh, I have $x,000 in tickets? Well I sold the bike to [some random rear end in a top hat] so blame him not me."

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Join cop block on facebook and call officers pigs because one time a cop gave you a ticket and he was mad at you because you parked in a fire lane and didn't have insurance. You had to take the bus, and that's bullshit. From now on, every time you are speeding and get pulled over you must record the dirty pig writing you a ticket and aggressively assert your half knowledge of basic freedoms, incorrectly and haphazardly.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

U gotta get his name and address and signature to transfer ownership. I don't know who it is -> I can't do that. They also put up a stink if he isn't there in person to transfer ownership, since the buyer is supposed to turn in the paperwork (even though only the seller is going to have this ticket problem)

Basically if he gets pulled over then loving good because he didn't register it under his name so it is still legally mine.

Seriously if that were me I'd immediately file it as stolen and force him to come over and sign documents that way. So long as it's considered stolen I can't see how they can prosecute you on tickets. It should have been filed but that doesn't mean someone gets a free parking pass forever with no consequence.

Also I'm not mad at cops. Just that I tied to do the right thing and am still punished as if I didn't. gently caress that.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

When I sell cars I carve the VIN into the arm of the person who is buying it with a knife. If that ain't enough for transfer, they should be able to match up the Hep C.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Drunk Nerds posted:

I get your argument, and it is a raw deal... but how else are the ticketing agents supposed to know whose bike their ticketing if you don't tell the DMV its not your bike?

Otherwise, people could be all, "Oh, I have $x,000 in tickets? Well I sold the bike to [some random rear end in a top hat] so blame him not me."

No I get it, I understand why it is done, but its annoying I can't "abandon" the vehicle.

If I'm caught driving it I'd get a ticket for driving an unregistered or stolen vehicle and probably have the bike impounded. It is illegal to drive an unregistered bike, so it isn't like this is One Weird Trick An idiot Found To Avoid Parking Tickets.

Just in the future I'm going to make sure to sell all my vehicles / large dangerous items at the place of registration. Its more an issue for insurance liability in the large scale anyway.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I used to put my ticket on other cars and it would work maybe 10% of the time. These were tickets from a campus not a city

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I used to put my ticket on other cars and it would work maybe 10% of the time. These were tickets from a campus not a city

This was how I found out it never got reregistered. a year after I sold it the guy starts illegally parking on campus and they put a hold on my registration till I paid them or gave them a form from the DMV that it isn't mine anymore.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mailed in my appeal on the ticket today. I used a lot of tough language and threatened more legal action.

I'll keep you goons updated. Will we get justice or will big government win the day?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Why don't you just pay the $15, you hosed up and didn't buy enough time

In case you don't get how you were treated differently, the other people were at risk for getting tickets immediately and you weren't. You bought 15 minutes of time and got it. Maybe next time buy 5 more minutes in case you need it?

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 18, 2015

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Jastiger posted:

I feel violated.

Lets share more traffic stories here.

Once I got a ticket for parking on the street since it "wasn't authorized". I went back to the spot since it was my buddies place and literally no signs there say you can't, and everyone who lives there parked there.

I brought this up to the "board" that hears the greivences and they sent me some minutae from 1960 or whatever about "It is illegal to park in alleys and side streets between certain hours" or some bullshit, even though a sign there designated it apartment parking.

I sent them a picture of this and they said "too bad".

Literally made up a law to justify not waiving the ticket.

How does it feel to be made a bitch?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
OP, I know the feeling. That situation really sucks!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

Why don't you just pay the $15, you hosed up and didn't buy enough time

In case you don't get how you were treated differently, the other people were at risk for getting tickets immediately and you weren't. You bought 15 minutes of time and got it. Maybe next time buy 5 more minutes in case you need it?

This is a grave injustice. Give uncle sam EVERYTHING just in case you get caught!

Sounds like some Police State bullshit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I know this is a troll thread but I hope nobody actually believes that if you buy a certain amount of time you are somehow entitled to more time than that just because

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

I know this is a troll thread but I hope nobody actually believes that if you buy a certain amount of time you are somehow entitled to more time than that just because

If you are me, then yes you are.

Every other misdemeanor has mitigating circumstances or levels of severity. Speeding 5-10 vs over 20. Murder 1, 2, and 3. Armed assault or simply assualt.

But no.

This, if you go .01 second over the allotted time, you are treated exactly the same as if I'd left my car there for 8 hours without paying a dime.

It is a true travesty!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Uh I'm pretty sure if you left it there for even more than a couple hours they'd tow it and you'd have to pay to get to the tow place and some more money to get your car out so no I doubt it's the same penalty

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://discharge-debt.com/id73.htm

Looks pretty legit to me.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure if you left it there for even more than a couple hours they'd tow it and you'd have to pay to get to the tow place and some more money to get your car out so no I doubt it's the same penalty

Doubtful. If I had just parked and paid no money to the meter I'd get the same ticket as if I was 1 second over. This means the incentive is to pay more than the allotted time or to not pay at all since the penalty is the exact same for someone that never did either one.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean I'm pretty sure you are trolling but because I'm bad at not being trolled:

You are paying for the amount of time you think you will use. If you aren't sure, then maybe pay for a little more than you need so you have it just in case!

If you aren't sure you will be back in that time, you are accepting the risk that maybe you will have to pay $15.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure you are trolling but because I'm bad at not being trolled:

You are paying for the amount of time you think you will use. If you aren't sure, then maybe pay for a little more than you need so you have it just in case!

If you aren't sure you will be back in that time, you are accepting the risk that maybe you will have to pay $15.

I, too, agree you should always over pay with no recompense because its perfectly valid in all other transactions to unilaterally change the amount owed for a service.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

I, too, agree you should always over pay with no recompense because its perfectly valid in all other transactions to unilaterally change the amount owed for a service.

Why would you always over pay? Just get back to the car on time you idiot???

Also, please never get a cell phone, I'm pretty sure the concept of having to pay for blocks of data that you might go over and have to pay extra would kill you

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also, please never get a cell phone, I'm pretty sure the concept of having to pay for blocks of data that you might go over and have to pay extra would kill you

Data plan pricing models are bullshit though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't necessarily disagree I'm just saying I can't imagine buying 1 GB of data and then going over and being like WHAT I THOUGHT THAT MOVIE WOULD ONLY USE 50 MB BUT IT USED 51 MB AND THEY CHARGED ME WHEN I WENT OVER WHAT THE gently caress???

Like, you knew what you were paying for and you used more than that. You can't be shocked when you end up paying whatever the penalty is.

I mostly agree that data plans are more bullshit because they could price them however they want whereas there is an actual infrastructure cost associated with replacing the parking meters with some other scheme where you pay afterwards based on the time you used.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you go over your data cap it is still your own dumb fault, but they price them in such a way to goad you into coming close to the cap, and then faceraping you with overages that have absolutely no relationship to the cost of the service, etc. Also they are the creation of telecoms, which means they are prima facie bad and scammy. For instance, when I got off the plane in Ecuador last week, before I shut cellular data off on my phone, AT&T helpfully offered that I could connect for the bargain price of $20/MB. That's right, these customer-first altruists were willing to bite the bullet and charge me $20,000 per gig in a country with a well-developed and pretty cheap cellular system. While not precisely an overage, it is, I think an indication of the general scamminess of telecomms.

That's the difference to me, parking meters are not designed to trick and punish for obscene profit; they are, like parking in Mike Ermantraut's lot, quite simple and usually mastered on the first try.

In closing, im gay, but not nearly as gay as cell phone companies.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Jastiger posted:

Realtalk: It really pisses me off when people don't pay the parking meters. I feel like its a total dick move. Its why I'm so pissed I got this ticket because I DID pay the meter and I still get treated as if I didn't.

That seriously sucks though lol.

Why did you pay? Why didn't you just remove your name on the thingie

I dunno, gently caress him. Getting parking tickets and not paying them.

Thats fine, but how do I take care of my outstanding ticket balance? I do not want to burden my family with this crushing debt.

You should show up to court dressed as Thomas Jefferson, and rant about unfair fines and taxation. They'll be so amazed at your dedication they'll have no choice but to throw out the case.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Introduce that Alabama 'Gather Your Armies' primary ad from 2010 as evidence, imo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ7ZDUutU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't think its a fair analogy. Using data 1KB over 1GB doesn't "deprive" someone else of that KB since the data stream is well beyond what you've used. In parking spots you'd be "taking" the spot from someone else....ostensibly.

Its like rent. If I rent a place for a month, I pay $100 I get a month. If I stay a day over they don't get to say, "ho ho ho, you weren't out the door at 12:01 Am, it is now $600!!11" unilaterally. There are laws in place to prevent such a thing from occurring, OR they have to prove loss in order to recover that obscene amount.

Hell even in the cell phone bit they only charge a ridiculous rate for that one KB used, they don't just immediately up-charge you to the next package. AND the penalties are up front, not hidden.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Introduce that Alabama 'Gather Your Armies' primary ad from 2010 as evidence, imo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ7ZDUutU4

A good opener I think. Then talk about taxation without representation dressed as Thomas Jefferson. Perhaps I can close with the scene the Patriot where Heath Ledger dies, except Heath Ledger is my $15 and Jason Isaacs is the town motor vehicle board.

• Locked thread