Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

dick dorkins hasn't done an actual scientific study since 1970

tldr; he's as much of a scientist as you OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also i lolled when he wrote a book called "the magic of reality" like wtf you're an atheist what is this "magic" business...?

and michael shermer is an ayn rand acolyte

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
somebody should go dig up madalyn murray o'hair or christopher hitchens. i mean, for gently caress's sake, if we're going to have atheist celebrities at least make them crusty old ex-communists.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Lol

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like Dick Dorkins because he winds religious nutters up.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

hes right

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
thats debatable

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
A scientifically strong mind - once loyal to biological research - now fully committed to the finer art of perpetual self-ownage.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The problem here is............

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
oh poo poo did I accidentally go to Salon.com?

Where are the articles about how Bill Maher is basically hitler and Lena Dunham is the most talented and creative person to ever live?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

oh poo poo did I accidentally go to Salon.com?

Where are the articles about how Bill Maher is basically hitler and Lena Dunham is the most talented and creative person to ever live?

Oh no, not Bill Maher :ohdear:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

do people disagree with this or something

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Beeswax posted:

Oh no, not Bill Maher :ohdear:

his show is p. bad but he is hated by the same people that hate Dick Dorkins and love Lena Dunham. none of it makes any sense

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Jokes on everybody, Downs Syndrome is the next step in human evolution.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Zzulu posted:

do people disagree with this or something

NAZI EUGENICIST (50% or so of America sincerely believes this)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Dawkins is pretty awesome. All you goon hipsters are wrong. :arghfist::toot:

His nose is a little bit weird, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I find it immortal to refer to the downie babe as "it".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tarquinn posted:

Dawkins is pretty awesome. All you goon hipsters are wrong. :arghfist::toot:

His nose is a little bit weird, though.

Dawkins is actually p cool.

Maher is actually really cool, even if he comes off as an rear end. His bit on Ronald Reagan is spot on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bill Maher is not cool you dum dum http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2015/02/16/bill-maher-doubles-down-on-antivaccine-misinformation-again/

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

monkey posted:

Dawkins is not even a proper Atheist.

monkey posted:

He is a no god-believer, as opposed to a no-god believer. He is a soft atheist.

Lassitude posted:

well you see he's replaced GOD with SCIENCE

Did you know it takes more faith to be an atheist than to be a True Believer in Christ??

TEAYCHES posted:

the approach of dawkins vs. sagan is so opposite. where sagan saw an opportunity for dialogue and human understanding, dawkins saw his own self importance and being right in an public argument over theology, a thing he doesnt get in the least

TEAYCHES posted:

basically all the stuff that made sagan human as opposed to dawkins, who is a living caricature of how not to win over anyone to your side of an argument

great posting itt

:ocelot::golfclap:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

if you actually use terms like hard or soft athiest sorry you were born retarded and should abort yourself praise dawkins

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Dawkins is actually p cool.

Maher is actually really cool, even if he comes off as an rear end. His bit on Ronald Reagan is spot on.

lol, no.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
We need people like Dawkins tugging hard on the rope since it's the hard tuggers on either side who determine where the center is. If we didn't have people like Dawkins the moderate stance in society would be "Well we can all agree that Christianity is the one true religion, but enslaving non believers might be wrong."

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

We need people like Dawkins tugging hard on the rope since it's the hard tuggers on either side who determine where the center is. If we didn't have people like Dawkins the moderate stance in society would be "Well we can all agree that Christianity is the one true religion, but enslaving non believers might be wrong."

lmbo. people who don't get what the overton window is itt.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dang thanks for setting me straight, Lord Neato. I didn't know that about him.

Ok Bill Maher is p cool on MOST things, but obviously not vaccines.

He's still right about Reagan though.

5-HT posted:

lol, no.

Counterpoint: Yes.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Dang thanks for setting me straight, Lord Neato. I didn't know that about him.

Ok Bill Maher is p cool on MOST things, but obviously not vaccines.

He's still right about Reagan though.

Counterpoint: Yes.

no, maher is the definition of a dumb libertarian (redundant, i know). it amazes me how little insight you have to think that there's no such thing as a personally horrible human being. much less can't see why people are repulsed by dawkins in ways that aren't necessarily the arguments he makes.

the only excuse for worshipping maher and dawkins unironically is if you're young and literally don't know any better just yet.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Bill Maher is a dorkins following prick who says things that liberals need to hear and that conservatives HATE with this one weird trick but really though he's overrated

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

5-HT posted:

no, maher is the definition of a dumb libertarian (redundant, i know). it amazes me how little insight you have to think that there's no such thing as a personally horrible human being. much less can't see why people are repulsed by dawkins in ways that aren't necessarily the arguments he makes.

the only excuse for worshipping maher and dawkins unironically is if you're young and literally don't know any better just yet.

Ehhh Maher has some good points of view on liberal government and gets a lot of flak he doesn't deserve, and DOESN'T get a lot of flak he DOES deserve.

I mostly like him for his rants on Reagan and the Conservative right because he is spot on.

Dawkins hate is like other said, just because of his dumb twitter. He's far more nuanced in his points of view that don't fit into 140 characters or whatever. Plus people think it scool to hate on him so they score bonus points with centrists.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Ehhh Maher has some good points of view on liberal government and gets a lot of flak he doesn't deserve, and DOESN'T get a lot of flak he DOES deserve.

I mostly like him for his rants on Reagan and the Conservative right because he is spot on.

Dawkins hate is like other said, just because of his dumb twitter. He's far more nuanced in his points of view that don't fit into 140 characters or whatever. Plus people think it scool to hate on him so they score bonus points with centrists.

*writes book called the god delusion*
*is called nuanced*

lmbo

no insight.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

How much to see his cock?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Maher is the dumbest piece of poo poo on TV. Its probably the best reason to watch his trashcan of a show.

Dorkins is the atheist messiah, and you can't judge him on his tweets alone. You need to read his sacred texts, only made available to the Darwin Circle or the higher secret circles that you only learn about after you ascend to the Nth plane.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
dicky dawk

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

5-HT posted:

*writes book called the god delusion*
*is called nuanced*

lmbo

no insight.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007