Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

How did you get gameplay footage from release day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How fast did blaster shots travel in the earlier games? Did you have to significantly lead on enemies running across your view in order to hit them, more than with real bullets in Battlefield games?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't remember what it was called, but that level in battlefront 2 where you get to play as all the heroes on tatooine was bitchin'

Shame this game is being made by dice, I wish they had called it Star Wars Battlefield instead of trying to crib off the batllefront games.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Broseph Brostar posted:

Shame this game is being made by dice, I wish they had called it Star Wars Battlefield instead of trying to crib off the batllefront games.

You do realize that the first Battlefront was a copy of Battlefield 1942, right?

Frostbite is an amazing engine and Battlefield 3 and 4(apart from the fuckups at launch) were great games. I have no reason to doubt DICE.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
dice gets too much hate. Their games are pretty drat good and I can't even think of another developer that'd make a better massive online FPS like this

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm laughing super hard at the people that think A) the prequels will be in the base game and B) that if they get added they wont be DLC. Have you not been playing games for the past 8 years?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
At least the graphics will be good, right guys? :unsmith:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

At least the graphics will be good, right guys? :unsmith:

It looks pretty...:unsmith:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Zzulu posted:

dice gets too much hate. Their games are pretty drat good and I can't even think of another developer that'd make a better massive online FPS like this
It could be Dice loving up but I'd wager people are mixing up EA with Dice in regards to who makes the terrible decisions.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
crossposting while i wait for my bf4 memory leak to simmer down. 40 player servers, that means they couldn't get it to handle 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsXEToflqGs

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Let's face it - this is going to end up being a bad movie tie-in game with some above average graphics and poo poo gameplay.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Let's face it - this is going to end up being a bad movie tie-in game with some above average graphics and poo poo gameplay.

You shut your whore mouth this instant.

This will be GOTY 2015, just you wait and see! :colbert:

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

Icept posted:

How, of all Battlefield related games, is this the one that DOESN'T get singleplayer? The one where every drooling idiot and his kid will go DERR WANT TO BE IN DA MOVIES and smack his controller with his lightsaber toy? Seriously, their decision making is hilarious sometimes.
poo poo, I didn't even notice this. I just assumed it was included and the focus was just on the multiplayer, because that's how things are now. I really enjoyed the solo play in the other games. :(

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

You shut your whore mouth this instant.

This will be GOTY 2015, just you wait and see! :colbert:

I hope so, pal. I hope so.

If there's not even a skirmish mode, though, this thing will crash and burn. That's the entire reason people played the earlier Battlefronts.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I hope so, pal. I hope so.

If there's not even a skirmish mode, though, this thing will crash and burn. That's the entire reason people played the earlier Battlefronts.

Yeah. When was the last time Dice did decent bots? Skirmish is what kept me coming back to Battlefront 2 for years. Hell, the map making community has made poo poo with BF2 that blows the modern day Battlefields out of the water when it comes to scale.

You haven't played a game in this genre until some dude comes up with a way to get 200+ soldiers on a huge map. Or actually gotten to try space maps with huge fleets duking it out. Some of the poo poo in BF2's mod scene is just insane and it goes a long way to show how forward thinking the devs were in making their game as adaptable and stable as possible.

If it lacks skirmish though? Along with decent bots? Well poo poo, you can throw this game out the window. It's not even Battlefront. It's just trying to cash in on the brand name and nostalgia.

mr.capps posted:

There is only one era, no space battles, and the AT-ATs are on rails. Signs point to they might be loving this one up.

I can kinda get over the one era thing, if they actually provide as much content for it as they did for two eras in the previous games.

e: Oh, and no Galactic Conquest is lame :(

And this is assuming they can even get the rest of the series trademarks in properly. Which at the moment they're not even bothering with.

I can't help but feel that this thing is going to be a train wreck of disappointment and predatory nostalgia.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 20, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I want this game to be good but yea it's gonna suck and I think we already know it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I too am mad at video games and have no hope that this will possibly be any good. In fact I KNOW it because :negative:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

I too am mad at video games and have no hope that this will possibly be any good. In fact I KNOW it because :dice:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

My post was meant to be sarcastic. I guess that's on me for making it seem like I was joining the goony doom and gloom circle jerk.

I guess you guys would just rather the game not be made and they leave your precious memories alone? The guy who said he wouldn't buy it if AT-ATs were on rails made me laugh out loud.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Archonex posted:

Yeah. When was the last time Dice did decent bots? Skirmish is what kept me coming back to Battlefront 2 for years. Hell, the map making community has made poo poo with BF2 that blows the modern day Battlefields out of the water when it comes to scale.

You haven't played a game in this genre until some dude comes up with a way to get 200+ soldiers on a huge map. Or actually gotten to try space maps with huge fleets duking it out. Some of the poo poo in BF2's mod scene is just insane and it goes a long way to show how forward thinking the devs were in making their game as adaptable and stable as possible.

If it lacks skirmish though? Along with decent bots? Well poo poo, you can throw this game out the window. It's not even Battlefront. It's just trying to cash in on the brand name and nostalgia.

What the gently caress are you talking about, dude

The bots in battlefront are retarded, dice couldn't make stupider ones if they tried.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Well, I guess this thread is as good as any place to ask: What are some good BF2 custom maps? I know I can go by "Most Downloaded" ranks off of an old map site, but I wanted to get some personal opinions.

I'm imagining two outcomes for this game: 1) The game is good, in which case hey cool, a good game, or 2) Everyone who got a renewed interest in Battlefront but are disappointed with BF3 end up playing BF2 instead, much like how tons of people bought Simcity 4 after 2k13 was a total bust. So it's a win-win either way! :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
:frogout: with bots. The less time wasted on single player content in this game, the better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

:frogout: with bots. The less time wasted on single player content in this game, the better.

no no no. This game must be Battlefront 2 EXACTLY but with 1080p resolution and 60 fps on the weakest computers, and if I can't run around with an AT-AT anywhere on the map I'm not buying it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

FrancoFish posted:

if I can't run around with an AT-AT anywhere on the map I'm not buying it.

And get it clipped on a bush or a mailbox or something so it flips up in to the air and flies across the map.

edit: also I think they verified no skirmish, but there will be these 'mission' things, which will have bots (co-op or single player must have bots, otherwise who are the bad guys, right?), so that should be a compromise everyone will be happy with. :gbsmith:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 20, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

FutonForensic posted:

2) Everyone who got a renewed interest in Battlefront but are disappointed with BF3 end up playing BF2 instead, much like how tons of people bought Simcity 4 after 2k13 was a total bust. So it's a win-win either way! :v:

Apparently there are fan made multiplayer server tools out now. I wish I had the means to set one up...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 20, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Abysswalker posted:

The bots in battlefront are retarded, dice couldn't make stupider ones if they tried.

:dice: accepts your challenge.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The greatest test for DICE to see if they "get" Battlefront is this: will there either be a map with a Rancor or a sarclaac pit that eats you

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

Too late, the full game has bots and single player missions as well as local splitscreen, one of the press people misreported that it was online only

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Abysswalker posted:

You talking about Battlefront 1 or 2? Because 2's were actually somewhat decent for the times. The problem is how well they function is dependent on the structure of the map.

You can see this on modded maps where the mod maker didn't take into account how the AI works. You end result is you get spectacular meat grinders or the bots just sperg out and run into walls constantly. Put them on a map like that loving corvette with Leia and Vader though and suddenly they turn into flanking nightmares.

But yeah, gently caress the people who don't want bots. Skirmish supremacy. All the haters can suck my vibroblade. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 20, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
DICE and Bots generally don't mix.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

mr.capps posted:

The greatest test for DICE to see if they "get" Battlefront is this: will there either be a map with a Rancor or a sarclaac pit that eats you

Confirmed Boba Fett and Tatooine maps give me hope

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Battlefield 2 and 2142 never had a single player. All it had were bots that you could play with on any map to learn the game.

I don't mind Battlefront not having a campaign, especially after the yawn inducing campaigns of BF3 and BF4.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think people wanted a skirmish mode, which is just as you described, not so much a full fledged campaign/story mode. I think skirmish mode was in both Battlefront games thus far, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully the missions thing will be enough to satisfy single players.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:

FrancoFish posted:

no no no. This game must be Battlefront 2 EXACTLY but with 1080p resolution and 60 fps on the weakest computers, and if I can't run around with an AT-AT anywhere on the map I'm not buying it.

What is this 2013? Everyone has 144hz monitors now, 60fps is for plebs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I cant believe theres a people looking at the last 3 campaigns DICE have made and saying yes I want more of this in the next game

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I cant believe theres a people looking at the last 3 games DICE have made and saying yes I want more

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Dice's last three games were good once they were finished, a year after they came out. This game gonna be fun

SERPUS posted:

Any word on achievements?

You won't believe this but it will have achievements and they will be stupid

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
"Dehelmet a stormtrooper"

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Co-Optimus article

quote:

While the massive 40 player multiplayer matches are going to be the main focus of the game, there will still be a wide variety of modes to choose from. For instance, there will be a solo campaign with carefully crafted missions that can be played in either (what we've been waiting to hear about) offline local split-screen or online co-op modes! At the moment, it sounds as if only one other player may join in co-operative modes, but we hope to hear more on this soon. Now, we'll have to wait for some actual gameplay footage to, but E3 2015 is right around the corner. Hopefully we'll get some raw gameplay action rather than pre-rendered cutscenes to believe the hype.

(bolding is mine)

So there seems to be a single player campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Hopper posted:

Co-Optimus article

(bolding is mine)

So there seems to be a single player campaign?

It sounds like BF3 coop missions, which weren't very good with zero replay value. Battlefront had instant action and a mission map with minor strategy elements which was adequate for battlefield star wars. Carefully crafted sounds like 'linear and overly scripted to remove any meaningful element of emergent gameplay'

• Locked thread