Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
:siren:Open Beta will begin Oct. 8th and last until Oct. 12th on all platforms.:siren:

Developer: :dice:
Platforms: PS4, Xbone, and PC
Release Date: Nov. 17th 2015

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8

What we know so far:
  • 40 player max limit for multiplayer
  • No Campaign
  • You can toggle between first person and third person
  • You can play as a hero class like in the first two Battlefront games
  • There will be infantry, land vehicles, and aircraft
  • Battle is between Rebel alliance and Empire

I've been waiting for this since the original Battlefront 3 project was canceled very shortly in development. This time Dice is at the helm and they brought an entirely new version of the Frostbite engine to make this game. If I had to pick a developer that could make Battlefront a reality this generation, Dice would have been my first pick. Aside from the disappointment with Battlefield 4's launch, I think they have always tried to make their games as fun as possible.

What do you guys think about the announcement? We still don't have a gameplay trailer to talk about, but this is a welcome start. The game is apparently deep into development and will be released later this year. All I'm hoping for is a stable release and plenty of fun Star Wars maps to play on.

The 40 max player count per server is actually something I'm looking forward to. Ever since BF2, I've always felt a lot of the maps play better when there are around ~42 people playing on them instead of 64.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
i want to shoot lasers at things

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

what happened posted:

i want to shoot lasers at things

I want to have the Imperial March on every time I hope into a vehicle.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hopefully I can be Boba Fett and look competent, except when not in the movies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Right developer, wrong publisher.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Jedi and lightsabers will be terrible and drag down this game like they do every game that tries to mix regular troops with Jedi.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Remember when people called things bullshots like photoshopping your promotion images really mattered?

Well those look like bullshots.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jetpacks + rocket launchers, sold.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

thread tag changed to something else

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

1stGear posted:

Jedi and lightsabers will be terrible and drag down this game like they do every game that tries to mix regular troops with Jedi.

I think they're going to do them like in the original Battlefront games. There was a hero that 1 member on your team could spawn as. Once that was done, it initiated a cool down. The heroes were pretty good, but a decent squad could still kill them very quickly.

1 dude running around with a lightsaber won't be too bad since everyone is going to focus fire them down.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
If EA fucks this one up, Battlefield 4 style, there will be blood.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Star War OVA anime series from the 70's was good but to be honest this looks like it's just gonna be a lovely mod of Hardline so I'm gonna pass.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Neat cg trailer and images can't wait for people to complain about downgraded graphics, but kinda wish they stuck with current frostbite engine, since bf4 was such a loving mess for so long after launch and they seem to have gotten a handle on it with hardline.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
No gameplay footage yet and they're gonna be forced to have it out before the end of the year. I want it to be good too, but it just isn't happening.

Maybe the year after, when it's done.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The hero system in Battlefront 2 was bad. The entire concept of the series was that it was supposed to be about regular troops and whatnot.

It would be also disappointing if the game also only covers the original trilogy. Even if the prequels were bad, the clone wars setting made for fun maps and had cool vehicles in the original Battlefront.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hobo Siege posted:

No gameplay footage yet and they're gonna be forced to have it out before the end of the year. I want it to be good too, but it just isn't happening.

I can't wait to see what hilarious bugs will be in this game. BF3 and 4 had so many I can't even remember them all. I think my favorite was muting sound for the whole server when you fired the chinese semi-auto sniper rifle with the suppressor. :dice:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
According to people who saw the behind closed doors demo, 1:41-1:47 was gameplay footage with a dev cam and the hud disabled. You can see some pop in in a few of the shots as well. I'm cautiously optimistic

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've never played a Battlefront game. But I'd love this to work. I like the 'idea' of Star Wars, I like Battlefield 4, so gently caress knows. It could happen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hobo Siege posted:

They've already been working on it for two years or something, haven't they? Christ, if you need four years to make Battlefield But With Star Wars...

But I guess we have the :dice: emote for a reason.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
For anyone not familiar with DICE productions, launches tend to run in cycles: First week is unplayable for most or all of the population. Crashes and hardware incompatibility issues are rampant. By week two you might get one perfect game out of every five laggy, glitched out shitfests. You continue to endure because that one game you had last week was JUST SO GOOD, MAN. A month in, the game is starting to come together but there continue to be outliers who can't get it to run in the first place.

Wait. For the love of god, wait, and definitely don't pre-order.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cardboard Fox posted:

What we know so far:
  • 40 player max limit for multiplayer
  • No Campaign
  • You can toggle between first person and third person
  • You can play as a hero class like in the first two Battlefront games
  • There will be infantry, land vehicles, and aircraft
  • Battle is between Rebel alliance and Empire

AT-ATs are on rails - https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/589111235565629441

Also read that there are X-wings and TIE fighters, but there won't be any space combat. Can't find the article again so I might be wrong on this(I hope I'm wrong).

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

It's gonna be freaking epic, op.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I imagine the AT-ATs will be like the "levolution" events from Battlefield 4.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
They brought in the supers!

I don't care if the prequel movies sucked, playing as destroyer droids was the best thing about battlefront.

Galactic Conquest was also a fun way to spend a weekend with a few friends.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

AT-ATs are on rails - https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/589111235565629441

Also read that there are X-wings and TIE fighters, but there won't be any space combat. Can't find the article again so I might be wrong on this(I hope I'm wrong).

If the AT-AT's are on rails it's not a buy for me.

I mean, for fucks sakes, part of the fun of Battlefront is stomping around in those things. Why even bother with a Battlefront game if you aren't going to get the spirit of it down right? It kind of sounds like they don't know what made Battlefront so great.

The loss of other eras besides the Rebellion era is a downer too. Same with the reduced match sizes. The Clone Wars maps were amazing meat grinders.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 18, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Yeah I hope they do some stuff with Clones v Droids like in the other Battlefront, Clones armour looked a lot better and rolling around as that one droid loving ownd.

Plus Space Combat, this game >needs< Space Combat.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Archonex posted:

The loss of other eras besides the Rebellion era is a downer too. Same with the reduced match sizes. The Clone Wars maps were amazing meat grinders.

Have they said this recently?

Last I heard it was going to have some Clone Wars stuff, a lot of OT stuff, and some stuff from the new movie.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm sure they will have the entire timeline after all the DLC comes out. This is just the base game we're talking about. They'll probably add space battles and clone era maps later down the line.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Battlefield 4 Star Wars mod? Sign me the hell up.
I'm thirsty for more details.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I am not so concerned at the loss of space battles. They were a letdown in Battlefront 2 and if I wanted space battles in a new Star Wars game I might prefer an entire game for them like a remake of Tie Fighter or Rogue Squadron. It is theoretically possible for there to be cool space battles in a Battlefront game, but I don't have high hopes here...

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm sure they will have the entire timeline after all the DLC comes out. This is just the base game we're talking about. They'll probably add space battles and clone era maps later down the line.

Selling Clone Wars stuff as DLC would be pathetic and warrant a non-purchase.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Proposition Joe posted:

I am not so concerned at the loss of space battles. They were a letdown in Battlefront 2 and if I wanted space battles in a new Star Wars game I might prefer an entire game for them like a remake of Tie Fighter or Rogue Squadron. It is theoretically possible for there to be cool space battles in a Battlefront game, but I don't have high hopes here...

Unfortunately we don't have any modern Star Wars flying games yet. Flying is pretty fun in the Battlefield games so I think they can pull it off.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"Play one of these levels a week before everyone else gets to" is a new one to me as far as completely stupid pre-order bonuses go.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

$60 for a low effort Star Wars mod for Battlefield 4.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

$60 dollars for videogames

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I really want to like this but I guess we'll fine out more at E3 with actual gameplay. So singleplayer is a bit sad, I'm sure they could have come up with something, a few missions of you as a rebel soldier and a few mission of you as an imperial solider. I wasn't expecting a Republic Commando like full campaign, but none is a bit sad.

It sounds like space battles will probably be a DLC expansion pack, have a few space maps and transport craft etc. 40 players? sounds a little low, at least make it 46 or 48.

Edit: the packages listed on the preorder site, half the features are just game features and not actual package features -

Star Wars™ Battlefront™ Deluxe Edition
Digital Deluxe Edition Details

Immerse Yourself in Your Star Wars™ Battle Fantasies!

Battle on planets like Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, and a previously unexplored planet, Sullust.
Pilot nimble speeder bikes, massive AT-ATs, the Millennium Falcon, X-wings, TIE fighters.
Play as memorable characters including Darth Vader, Boba Fett and more. Also encounter other beloved characters such as C-3PO and R2-D2.

Get Instant Access to 5 in-game items:

DL44 blaster – as made famous by Han Solo
Ion Grenade
Ion Torpedo
Ion Shock (exclusive emote)
Victory (exclusive emote)

----

Star Wars™ Battlefront™
Standard Edition Details

Immerse Yourself in Your Star Wars™ Battle Fantasies!

Battle on planets like Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, and a previously unexplored planet, Sullust.
Pilot nimble speeder bikes, massive AT-ATs, the Millennium Falcon, X-wings, TIE fighters, and more.
Play as memorable characters including Darth Vader, Boba Fett and more. Also encounter beloved C-3PO and R2-D2.
Made for Jedi and Padawans Alike - battle alongside your friends online or in offline split-screen Co-op mode.
Seamlessly swap between 1st person and 3rd person views.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 18, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I don't care if the prequel movies sucked, playing as destroyer droids was the best thing about battlefront.

Except for that one kashykk level where you had to roll through waist high water to get to the fight, which just killed you

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also, considering how many differnet models and animations they would have to make for the droid army, im not at all surprised with their decision to keep it original trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hobo Siege posted:

For anyone not familiar with DICE productions, launches tend to run in cycles: First week is unplayable for most or all of the population. Crashes and hardware incompatibility issues are rampant. By week two you might get one perfect game out of every five laggy, glitched out shitfests. You continue to endure because that one game you had last week was JUST SO GOOD, MAN. A month in, the game is starting to come together but there continue to be outliers who can't get it to run in the first place.

Wait. For the love of god, wait, and definitely don't pre-order.

This needs to be emphasized every page.

Do not pre-order this game. Wait til after launch.

• Locked thread