Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jetpacks + rocket launchers, sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I don't care if the prequel movies sucked, playing as destroyer droids was the best thing about battlefront.

Except for that one kashykk level where you had to roll through waist high water to get to the fight, which just killed you

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also, considering how many differnet models and animations they would have to make for the droid army, im not at all surprised with their decision to keep it original trilogy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I cant believe theres a people looking at the last 3 campaigns DICE have made and saying yes I want more of this in the next game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm honestly curious about what people were expecting from this game because a lot of the complaints are "this isn't the game I remember from a decade ago"

Have any of you played battlefront or battlefront 2 recently? They really didn't hold up well

Also for the people asking if there will be more unlocks in the full game: lmfao what do you think

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The only things I would change are to make it so losing control of an uplink just pauses the progress instead of resetting it and having the turrets not rotate 360 degrees

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Giving everyone pinpoint accuracy on their blasters is probably the least authentic Star Wars thing they could've done

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The rebels actually don't have as much of a disadvantage as bad goons think

Super secret strategy: the turrets are in fact not for show. I've gotten a 20 kill streak in the first phase in one of the white turrets, and the radar dish ones can kill an atst in like 4 hits

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

The opposite is also true. I had much success day one as an imperial by jumping in a turret in the last phase and mowing rebels down. For some reason nobody seemed to realize that the bad guys can also use the defense weapons, and also ignored the fact I was shooting directly at them.

Yeah if I could change one thing it would be making the turrets only rotate like 225 degrees or something, so the imperials can't just spin them around

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

D-Pad posted:

The vehicle powerups are always in the same spots (depending on what phase the battle is in). That is why I don't understand the criticism of them. It is literally no different than if a vehicle spawned there you climbed into.

It means I can't blow it up if a teammate is going to get it before me

If I can't fly that x wing NO ONE CAN

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also I just shot down an x-wing making a strafing run on my at-at with my sniper rifle this games cool

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Storm Trooper rifles are capable of hitting things Not Canon/10.

Actually they're very capable of hitting nameless rebel soldiers so the game is in fact highly accurate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Actual Hoth balance when both teams are playing competently:

1st point is probably a little favored to the Rebels honestly. The left uplink (from the rebels' perspective) is super easy to defend and the right one is in the middle of a field that slightly favors the Rebels since they have some rocky cover on their approach. I've seen ATATs go down in this phase but usually if both teams are trying they can get one to 75-80% and one to maybe 40-50%.

2nd point is heavily Imperial favored. To be fair, the Rebel uplink inside the hanger is almost impossible to lose just because choke points work both ways, but the other outside uplink is almost impossible to regain control of once the Imperials get it. The only advantage Rebels have is that their A wings can dominate the air if the pilots are competent. It's also super short so the rebels rarely get more than a handful of bombing runs. One ATAT will probably by at like 10% and the other at 50%

3rd phase is a wildcard. The leftmost point (again from the rebels side) is about equally far from both Imperial and Rebel spawns, and while it's pretty easy to defend with all the heavy turret cover the Imperials now have two ATATs bearing down on you, as well as tie interceptors to even the air battle. The snowspeeders are the real equalizer here; ideally the rebels focus fire the weaker ATAT while the snowspeeders take down the other with a tow cable, but sometimes both get tow cabled and sometimes neither ATAT goes down.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Yeah I think the fact that the rebel side requires some kind of co-ordination and awareness other than "shoot mans" is what makes it so hard for them to win. Getting people to fire at the AT-ATs during the attack window, let alone focus fire one of them is the real barrier to Rebel victory. Even if you're tooling the Imperials on kills, it doesn't matter if you don't get enough people playing the objectives.

Idk what more they can do at that point though, the ATATs are already flashing blue and the objective has clearly changed to state "Shoot the AT-AT". You can lead an idiot to an objective, but you can't make him win

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What's it been, 10 years since we've had a Star Wars game that's any good at all?

It depends on how you felt about Force Unleashed but yeah the last was Battlefront 2

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sedisp posted:

3. Getting shot once while in the tow cable QTE immediately throws the QTE in one direction or the other. Dunno if it's recoverable once the bar narrows.

What's wrong with that? The QTE is piss easy and if there was no way to stop it short of destroying the untargetable speeder outright it'd be a joke

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Captain Satire posted:

I'm one of those players who races to the Xwings and usually manages to keep it in the air for the entire match. I'm really enjoying the hell out of it.

If anything it's the best star wars spaceship game since rogue squadron

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

air aces are a real thing and it is so much fun being one of them

just went 33-3

as rebels

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lame Devil posted:

Give some tips. I don't even think I'm using torpedos correctly. You need to maintain an L2 lock for them to hit right?

Yeah the torpedoes need an L2 lock to hit but they're pretty easy to avoid so I honestly mostly save them for ground attack runs

If you're locked into a guy you're tailing in front of you try to see where your shots are missing. If the little explosions are too far behind him try to speed up and close the gap; if you're not flying straight at each other the blasters have a surprisingly short range

If he tries to bank hard right or left slow down as much as possible and try to lead your shots into him; if you're not right on his tail you can often get a ton of damage off.

If you're trying to shake a fighter don't bank straight left or right. Try going diagonally up or down to make it harder for him to track you by radar

If you see a friendly fighter getting tailed, your first priority should be helping him out. Most players when dogfighting are both circling really slowly around each other, which should make it easy to line up some shots. Enemy fighters rarely spawn at the same time so if you can get a numbers advantage in the air you can usually keep it.

Snow speeders can strafe left or right with the left thumbstick, something really useful for dodging atst fire

On the subject of if snow speeders, don't try to fly them like fighters, they're much less maneuverable and the controls will fight you if you try to do fancy tricks, treat them like a hovercraft and go for atst and turrets; you can't take out interceptors

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Air Support by phases:

Phase 1 is probably the most important, and is also the most even. If the Rebels hold the sky, they can shut down all atst presence and deal a ton of atat damage during the burn phase. The x wings do have an air advantage thanks to better turn rates and a better special ability but they can easily get ganged up by the tie fighters so good pilots make or break this phase. The imperials need to just keep x wings out of the sky, while the rebels need to support their ground forces.

Phase 2 is much shorter but still fairly important. The A wings strongly outclass the tie fighters, so the imperials will have a much harder time maintaining air presence. Because the damage phase is always so much shorter, the a wings don't have quite as much of an atat impact as having a bunch of x wings in the first phase. But being able to finish off a weakened atat from the first phase makes the last phase much easier. The secret objective for the rebels however, is to try and keep as many a wings alive going into the third phase as possible

Phase 3 gives the rebels some great comeback potential in the snow speeders, but the imperials now have tie interceptors to fight them with. If both teams are equally competent, the interceptors will just destroy the speeders every single time; they can out maneuver them and can't be hurt by the speeders blaster fire. Which is why having a wings going into this phase is key. A good couple of rebel a wing pilots can keep the interceptors off the snow speeders and allow them a much better chance of taking out the remaining atats

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bonus tip: if someone is being super cocky and coming in for strafing runs at a super shallow angle, get on one of those radar dish turrets because they can one shot fighters

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Am I missing something when it comes to setting controller options? In the options all the controller settings are greyed out. Left stick throttle right stick uninverted movement is a terrible default option

Controller settings not available in beta

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Comrayn posted:

I just started the little harpoon on the walker event and the automatic path immediately crashed me into a hill :thumbsup:

it's a known bug they're fixing

but at the same time how does that never come up in any testing lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Trilin posted:

Also, wouldn't Hoth be much better if both teams got a chance at each side before a team was declared the winner? Whoever got farther as the Imperials is the winner. It'd remove pretty much all of the balance concerns of the map barring awful spawning.

What does that change? The games still play out exactly the same. The only thing that changes is you get a slightly different meaningless number of wins vs losses

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Leading cause of death among imperial pilots: suicide

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The game genuinely improves a lot if you stop caring about winning

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Like winning on walker assault is almost completely out of your hands as an individual so you really shouldn't make that the deciding factor on whether or not you've had a good time

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Posted right after a video where a single dude kills a walker with a single power-up

I mean if your only goal is finding the orbital strike and killing the atat with it then you're going to be really frustrated and not have fun with this game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I like some of the random soldier dialogue. At one start of the match a rebel got on one of the manned machine guns and as soon as the imperials came around the bend he started shooting and screamed 'FOR THE REBELLION' at the top of his lungs

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Endor walker assault probably won't have aircraft. It'll be interesting to see how that changes the pace of things

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://gfycat.com/RecentInbornHyrax

Again, the cycler rifle should not be the most effective anti-air available to ground forces...

just because it is in the limited beta doesn't mean it's true in the game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Watching that fan made trailer from earlier they put a ton of effort into those death animations holy moly

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I like some of the audio cues the game has, like the "Rogue squadron has been destroyed :smug:" line which I assume plays when your team blows up a bunch of X-Wings. Wish there were more of them, they're a small thing but also really neat.

They can actually be pretty useful too, at least when flying. Hearing one of your other pilots going down or confirming a kill actually does help you keep track of what's happening in the air during a strafing run or something

Metos posted:

As pumped as I first felt when I heard the cue coming in as an x-wing, I think it's actually just 'Red squadron' rather than rogue squadron. Makes sense I guess as that's what the x-wing guys all day when checking in to blow up the death star, but dammit Dice - you let us be Vader and Luke and poo poo, let us be rogue squadron too.

Yeah one of the fly in x-wing lines is "Red nine standing by" or so

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I remember my younger brother watched some clone wars miniseries (it was traditionally animated, none of this lovely claymation looking crap) before the newer batch of stuff and I thought it looked kinda cool

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sedisp posted:

Full list of weapons/Star cards: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GLIU0KTIqI1Z-LaIDRwN8h9dUiul_GdVRmBa7IhVUU0/preview

12 weapons.

Bowcaster is a star card.

ok we get playable palpatine, pilotable slave-1, and jawa shotgun weapon

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the air combat is actually by far the best part about BF3 and the closest thing resembling a well made game so

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

People always say that they want huge epic battles of 60 vs 60 or whatever but it never turns out fun in the way they want it to be

The reason those battles look great in games/movies is because theres action going on all around and people dying left and right. Well it turns out that it's fun to watch but being one of the guys dying left and right is actually pretty lovely, and the very same people always end up complaining that they're just dying without getting to do anything else

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I can only assume people complaining about flying are only using m+kb

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Preordering digital goods is really really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

swtor was actually at it's best when you were doing the opposite force side quests for the non jedi classes. Dark side smuggler and light side imperial agent were actually pretty good

Imperial Agent especially because the main plot is focused on how the Sith in the Empire are just huge assholes to everyone who doesn't use the force, and you can basically end up allying with your Republic intelligence counterparts who also aren't too hot on the Jedi

• Locked thread