Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
:siren:Open Beta will begin Oct. 8th and last until Oct. 12th on all platforms.:siren:

Developer: :dice:
Platforms: PS4, Xbone, and PC
Release Date: Nov. 17th 2015

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWLns7-xN8

What we know so far:
  • 40 player max limit for multiplayer
  • No Campaign
  • You can toggle between first person and third person
  • You can play as a hero class like in the first two Battlefront games
  • There will be infantry, land vehicles, and aircraft
  • Battle is between Rebel alliance and Empire

I've been waiting for this since the original Battlefront 3 project was canceled very shortly in development. This time Dice is at the helm and they brought an entirely new version of the Frostbite engine to make this game. If I had to pick a developer that could make Battlefront a reality this generation, Dice would have been my first pick. Aside from the disappointment with Battlefield 4's launch, I think they have always tried to make their games as fun as possible.

What do you guys think about the announcement? We still don't have a gameplay trailer to talk about, but this is a welcome start. The game is apparently deep into development and will be released later this year. All I'm hoping for is a stable release and plenty of fun Star Wars maps to play on.

The 40 max player count per server is actually something I'm looking forward to. Ever since BF2, I've always felt a lot of the maps play better when there are around ~42 people playing on them instead of 64.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

1stGear posted:

Jedi and lightsabers will be terrible and drag down this game like they do every game that tries to mix regular troops with Jedi.

I think they're going to do them like in the original Battlefront games. There was a hero that 1 member on your team could spawn as. Once that was done, it initiated a cool down. The heroes were pretty good, but a decent squad could still kill them very quickly.

1 dude running around with a lightsaber won't be too bad since everyone is going to focus fire them down.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I imagine the AT-ATs will be like the "levolution" events from Battlefield 4.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm sure they will have the entire timeline after all the DLC comes out. This is just the base game we're talking about. They'll probably add space battles and clone era maps later down the line.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Proposition Joe posted:

I am not so concerned at the loss of space battles. They were a letdown in Battlefront 2 and if I wanted space battles in a new Star Wars game I might prefer an entire game for them like a remake of Tie Fighter or Rogue Squadron. It is theoretically possible for there to be cool space battles in a Battlefront game, but I don't have high hopes here...

Unfortunately we don't have any modern Star Wars flying games yet. Flying is pretty fun in the Battlefield games so I think they can pull it off.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

KiddieGrinder posted:

I seem to also recall someone confirming that battlelog will not be used for this.

Correct.

They will also not being using that godawful web browser for multiplayer on PC.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

SkyEnzo posted:

Not gunna lie. Pretty excited for this. Hard not to be on the hype train even though games have failed me before. They better not gently caress this up.

We haven't had a good Star Wars game since Republic Commander came out 10 years ago. There's an actual chance that this game will be great so I'm hyped as well.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Battlefield 2 and 2142 never had a single player. All it had were bots that you could play with on any map to learn the game.

I don't mind Battlefront not having a campaign, especially after the yawn inducing campaigns of BF3 and BF4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Some new gameplay was release today in case you haven't seen it.

Hero gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZHtKdazzo
Dropzone gamemode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-0MddGR2os
More Hoth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtExrBPtGq0

The Hero gameplay definitely looks rough. Everything else looks pretty neat.

• Locked thread