Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

AT-ATs are on rails - https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/589111235565629441

Also read that there are X-wings and TIE fighters, but there won't be any space combat. Can't find the article again so I might be wrong on this(I hope I'm wrong).

If the AT-AT's are on rails it's not a buy for me.

I mean, for fucks sakes, part of the fun of Battlefront is stomping around in those things. Why even bother with a Battlefront game if you aren't going to get the spirit of it down right? It kind of sounds like they don't know what made Battlefront so great.

The loss of other eras besides the Rebellion era is a downer too. Same with the reduced match sizes. The Clone Wars maps were amazing meat grinders.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I hope so, pal. I hope so.

If there's not even a skirmish mode, though, this thing will crash and burn. That's the entire reason people played the earlier Battlefronts.

Yeah. When was the last time Dice did decent bots? Skirmish is what kept me coming back to Battlefront 2 for years. Hell, the map making community has made poo poo with BF2 that blows the modern day Battlefields out of the water when it comes to scale.

You haven't played a game in this genre until some dude comes up with a way to get 200+ soldiers on a huge map. Or actually gotten to try space maps with huge fleets duking it out. Some of the poo poo in BF2's mod scene is just insane and it goes a long way to show how forward thinking the devs were in making their game as adaptable and stable as possible.

If it lacks skirmish though? Along with decent bots? Well poo poo, you can throw this game out the window. It's not even Battlefront. It's just trying to cash in on the brand name and nostalgia.

mr.capps posted:

There is only one era, no space battles, and the AT-ATs are on rails. Signs point to they might be loving this one up.

I can kinda get over the one era thing, if they actually provide as much content for it as they did for two eras in the previous games.

e: Oh, and no Galactic Conquest is lame :(

And this is assuming they can even get the rest of the series trademarks in properly. Which at the moment they're not even bothering with.

I can't help but feel that this thing is going to be a train wreck of disappointment and predatory nostalgia.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Abysswalker posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about, dude

The bots in battlefront are retarded, dice couldn't make stupider ones if they tried.

You talking about Battlefront 1 or 2? Because 2's were actually somewhat decent for the times. The problem is how well they function is dependent on the structure of the map.

You can see this on modded maps where the mod maker didn't take into account how the AI works. You end result is you get spectacular meat grinders or the bots just sperg out and run into walls constantly. Put them on a map like that loving corvette with Leia and Vader though and suddenly they turn into flanking nightmares.

But yeah, gently caress the people who don't want bots. Skirmish supremacy. All the haters can suck my vibroblade. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

cargohills posted:

Right, I think we all get the point by now

Still needs to be said.

I mean, it's funny. You'd really need to be a Star Wars fan to give this thing the benefit of the doubt at this stage of development. Not like there's much else to talk about either.

Edit: Though I can't believe i'm agreeing with Utnayan of all people. By random chance I also just noticed he made that same post in the comment sections of at least one article about the game. Dude feels strongly about this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

I haven't played any of the Battlefront games so I can't really comment on the quality of the campaign, but given DICE's campaigns in the past I can't really see this as a negative. I'd rather they focus on things they know how to do rather than another shitshow that you'd end up complaining about anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone should preorder this right now (or really preorder any game in general) but I think the pessimism being bandied about is unwarranted.

Not to be a dick, but doesn't this also kind of make it hard for you to comment on the content gap between the two games? I mean, having played BF and BF2 for a long time I know that going off what we've been told so far there's a lot of poo poo missing in this one compared to the first two.

It's a bit early to say for sure that the game is going to be poo poo. And given the amount of hype the Battlefront series had in some circles (Especially the people excited for the previously canceled third one.) it was inevitable there'd be some backlash. But so far their announced feature set has been pretty disappointing. People are pissed over that. Though it's not like there isn't time to announce that this was just a preliminary set of features and more will be added towards release.

People are kind of justified over being annoyed at the lack of apparent content offered when you compare the last iteration and this one though. Sequels are supposed to be improved iterations of a concept. Not look like they're taking a step back.

At the very least their PR and marketing so far have been pretty poo poo. Looking around online I haven't seen many people excited for this outside of the "Holy poo poo, it's a Star Wars game!" factor.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Augus posted:

If you can't see the issue with 5 DLC packs being planned way before the game is even released I'm not really sure what I can say to you

To be fair, I read somewhere that the DLC might be free. Or at least some of it is. Though this could just be EA or someone in Dice trying to do damage control due to the rather lackluster reception the game's gotten so far.

Time will tell, I guess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

mr.capps posted:

Hell, I think I would have liked the prequel stuff in Battlefront more than the OT stuff if it wasn't for Hoth just being so good.

Good news! With the inclusion of on the rail AT-AT's in the new game BF2 era Hoth will seem better than ever!

That still gets me chuckling. It's like they don't want people bringing out their inner child while stomping all over rebel scum.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

YellerBill posted:

This gameplay looks like it's from old Battlefront 3, the one that never got made, as opposed to the current Battlefront 3.

The Free Radical watermark should be a hint about which version this is. It's the old canceled version. Which was pretty loving incredible looking.

A neat thing about it though. Those cruisers? They were loving impressive. So were the battles. The description goes into it. Those republic cruisers and other ships were piloted and staffed by players. The canceled version of the game was looking to be really amazing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

I feel like this has never described any DICE product, ever. BF2 was basically held together by prayer and ducttape, and for all the scale and scope of people's mods, stability or playability rarely matches what they were reaching for.

BF3 and 4 were pretty big shitshows out the gate, but it's not like this hasn't been the norm for the series. I think people forget that Battlefield has always been incredibly janky, almost every game has launched like a trainwreck, and it really is in spite of all the lovely launches and badly coded everything in every game that the series has managed to endure as much as it has.

That said, I'm not buying battlefront 3 until the inevitable disaster that will be the launch forces the game down to 10 bucks on an origin sale.

BF2 wasn't made by Dice. I was referring to Battlefront 2. That's my bad.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Hopper posted:

Are you saying possible jar jar binks character would have been a "feature"?
More like torture....

Didn't one of the Hunt modes have players being hunted by a bunch of Gungans through the streets of Theed? Or was it the other way around?

The devs at least knew how to provide quality entertainment with the Hunt mode. Like the Stormtroopers/Rebels vs Wampas fight on Hoth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNLpuuVtmO4

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 24, 2015

• Locked thread