Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

VarXX posted:

Are people saying this as a joke because Battlefront has always been Battlefield: Star Wars
any battlefield game that isn't a mainline battlefield game gets this "criticism" thrown at it. Happened with 2142 and recently Hardline, I have no idea if people are being ironic about it this time around

Eyud posted:

That's a shame since Battlelog is way better than any in-game server browser.
Yes, I love dealing with battlefield constantly opening and closing making me reload assets whenever I want to switch servers, browser incompatibility issues, battlelog errors, pointless social media emulation that nobody bothers with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
DICE and Bots generally don't mix.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Utnayan posted:

Remember when we all got content from buying the box and not having to pay $150 for a game?

Take a look at the feature set that shipped with Battlefront 2 in November of 2005, and then match that with what you have here. Let me help:

BF2: 33 Maps 16 Planets This game: 8 Maps 4 Planets.
BF2: 32 vs 32. This game: 20 Vs 20 Max.
BF2: Space Battles? Yes. This game: Space battles? No.
DLC: BF2: 4 Maps, 2 heroes: $5.00. This game: 5 planned DLC packs.
BF2: Campaign? Yes. This game? No.
BF2: Galactic Conquest? Yes. This game? No.
BF2: Instant action? Yes. This game? No.
BF2: 37 Controllable Vehicles, 15 Controllable Turrets. This game? Non-Controllable AT AT. 6 Vehicles.
BF2: Playable areas? Classic and Prequel. This game? Classic.

Holy content gap. Please for the love of God, do not preorder this.

Smaller map pools has been an increasing trend in FPS games in general. This has to do with the increasing amount of effort it takes to create a single map. id Software was able to crank out Wolfenstein 3D maps at a rate of about one a day, from concept to playtesting to final balance. Doom didn't take that much more time. Nowadays it takes months to create a single map. As developers got the ability to create increasingly complex scenes, the time and effort required to produce those scenes increased as well.

Less maximum players sounds like a disadvantage on the surface, but it depends on how the maps themselves are created. Frostbite can certainly handle 64 players on a server, and I guarantee people will be hosting 64-man servers in Battlefront 3 no matter what the limit on the box says. Depending on how the game itself feels, I probably won't be missing 24 extra players. (Having played a lot of Planetside 2, a game where fights can get into the 96 v 96 size and even beyond, having more players is definitely not always a benefit.)

Space battles are just not in the base game. I imagine we'll see them in a DLC pack, which brings me to my next point...

You're basically complaining about extra content. I dislike overpriced DLC as much as anyone else, but I can't really get too angry at 5 planned DLC packs, especially when they'll be rolled out over time and represent a continued effort by the game devs to maintain the game.

I haven't played any of the Battlefront games so I can't really comment on the quality of the campaign, but given DICE's campaigns in the past I can't really see this as a negative. I'd rather they focus on things they know how to do rather than another shitshow that you'd end up complaining about anyway.

I just read up on Galactic Conquest and while its omission is a bummer my statement about my wanting DICE to focus on multiplayer remains.

Didn't they confirm bots?

Less is more. I'd rather have 6 vehicles polished to a mirror shine than a giant collection of all similar vehicles. Was vehicle count even confirmed or is that just what we've seen so far?

Are you seriously arguing that the absence of prequel poo poo is a detriment?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone should preorder this right now (or really preorder any game in general) but I think the pessimism being bandied about is unwarranted.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
http://www.eastarwars.com/

• Locked thread