Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Shutting down snipesr is pretty easy. It was the guy to finish off most of our team but they never capped anything. They lost due to falling behind on levels. The other team ended up raging and having a guy leave at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

Shutting down snipesr is pretty easy. It was the guy to finish off most of our team but they never capped anything. They lost due to falling behind on levels. The other team ended up raging and having a guy leave at the end.

I'm having more fun shutting everyone down as sniper. As long as your team isn't full of idiots, its pretty easy to let them bum rush forward while you lock down the lane.

Edit:

Getting between 4k-6k in ship exp every match.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 22, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
At least both Flagships tried :(

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The flagship missile unlocks just change how the missiles come out of your ship, or am I missing something? Seems kind of useless upgrade track.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Chard posted:

The flagship missile unlocks just change how the missiles come out of your ship, or am I missing something? Seems kind of useless upgrade track.

Style points. Also to prevent your missiles from, say, crashing into the nearest asteroid to your left or right or something.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I finally got the game to work and now that there are players I am really enjoying it

I'm also really enjoying the Reaper

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Artificer posted:

Style points. Also to prevent your missiles from, say, crashing into the nearest asteroid to your left or right or something.

it comes in handy on the frigate since there is one set that fires directly up and I can position my self

not so sure about the flag ship and its positioning

haven't looked at where those missiles come out at

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does the flagship captures points faster? I've read that in guides but I don't see it anywhere in game.

Any other ships with capture modifiers?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Seems they're consciously aware of more kills granting more exp.

Fractured Dev - Evyatron posted:

Hi Kirin,

Unfortunately you're right :) Currently it's completely biased towards kills, and we are going to change it. I prefer playing a support ship - and I shouldn't get less XP for it.

The ideal is to have all ships earn XP and Credits similarly, based on player performance and not any specific action.

Fractured Dev - Willus posted:

Yep, to expand on what Ev said - We're big fans of the Takedown system in Heroes of the Storm. It simply rewards anyone involved in a kill with a Takedown, whether they dealt damage, debuffed the target, buffed an ally, got the killing blow... No matter your contribution to the kill (as long as you contributed!) you get the same reward.

It encourages people to play as a team, and go for common goals (kill the baddies, win the game) rather than compete with their own team for the potential XP their enemies represent.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AutoArgus posted:

Had one match where two of them kept mining up the jump-in zone behind our outpost, the bastards.

Didn't know there was a way to blink out as an assassin, how's that work? Genuinely curious because that would admittedly open up alot of options. Ive been largely ignoring heavy targets unless they're brawling someone else or already damaged.

Either toss out your jump decoy right before you strike then blink, or blink to a different enemy at the exact time you recloak. Blinking doesn't decloak you so sometimes even blinking in on the same target is enough to throw them off.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm having more fun shutting everyone down as sniper. As long as your team isn't full of idiots, its pretty easy to let them bum rush forward while you lock down the lane.

Edit:

Getting between 4k-6k in ship exp every match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqxHxsvtcl8

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy gently caress. I just played a game as Reaper where an Enemy assassin would either wait for the last ship in system to hit warp before jumping him and murdering him, or would wait for us all to leave and then cap our mining points and then poke at our base.

So I just ended up sitting in my base flying in circles in my Reaper waiting for him, and he did the same. When he left, I left. When he came back into base, I stayed until he left. He never killed me. I never killed him.

What a fun game for both of us! :negative: It was lovely all the way around.

Edit: Even when I shot him and decloaked him with my shots, he would eventually just blink to some location out of my field of vision and cloak up, making me have no idea where to spray shots and thus lose him. So yeah neither of us died nor did anything for 80% of the game wooo.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I never knew Star Conflict existed till someone posted about it in this thread. Is there an SA thread and is the game any good? I have room in my heart for multiple good games.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Raged posted:

I never knew Star Conflict existed till someone posted about it in this thread. Is there an SA thread and is the game any good? I have room in my heart for multiple good games.

The game is good if you never leave tier 2.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hy_C posted:

The game is good if you never leave tier 2.

Just like Warthunder and tier 3 I suppose :v:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

star conflict is a neat game for a bit until you level up too far then everyone in the thread will tell you never to play mid or high tiered games

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Those who where wondering, the Enforcers Harpoon can not be shot down by PD

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 22, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I've now bought all ships for USR as well as fully upgraded them. Total 71,400 xp needed :stare:

star conflict is a neat game for a bit until you level up too far then everyone in the thread will tell you never to play mid or high tiered games
I used to solo queue for Sector Conquest in Star Conflict with Tier 5 ships (think of it as clan/faction battle) but almost all the time it would be 3v3 because of lack of people, but against tryhard squads who'd always bring same compositions/builds that they spent hours developing. However you can hover mouse over enemy ship icon to get their ship stats, so it was just a matter of reverse calculation. It took a day or so to make a working spreadsheet calculator because there's no ship builder program. Well there are but those tryhards don't share it outside their corporations. Anyways I figured out their builds then made builds to specifically counter them, and they were bitching and whining at me whenever I killed them. Then it would be them focusing on me whenever they saw my name (got some hate PM too). Then it turned into 1~2 guys chasing me for entire 15 minutes or so every loving game. Still killed them, but yeah lovely community.

Also there are only about 700~1,000 people online during prime time, and almost all of them play Tier 1~2 because Tier 4 gets dragged to Tier 5 games so people give up grinding Tier 4 while people queuing with Tier 5 give up because you hardly get a match. That and you get matched against tryhards for Tier 4~5 games, who got every equipment upgraded to Mk.4 prior to grind nerf while people who started the game late or wasn't grinding hard will struggle to even get Mk.2 upgrade. Tier 3 used to be ok but it turned into tryhard fest ever since there was Tier 3 tournament with prize. That's why only Tier 1~2 are playable unless you want to go full on tryhard + grind fest. Tier 3~5 has no place for 'filthy casuals'. Star Conflict used to have so much potential to be a good game, but it's ruined now. Personally I wouldn't recommend playing Star Conflict over Fractured Space.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Aesis posted:

I've now bought all ships for USR as well as fully upgraded them. Total 71,400 xp needed :stare:

I used to solo queue for Sector Conquest in Star Conflict with Tier 5 ships (think of it as clan/faction battle) but almost all the time it would be 3v3 because of lack of people, but against tryhard squads who'd always bring same compositions/builds that they spent hours developing. However you can hover mouse over enemy ship icon to get their ship stats, so it was just a matter of reverse calculation. It took a day or so to make a working spreadsheet calculator because there's no ship builder program. Well there are but those tryhards don't share it outside their corporations. Anyways I figured out their builds then made builds to specifically counter them, and they were bitching and whining at me whenever I killed them. Then it would be them focusing on me whenever they saw my name (got some hate PM too). Then it turned into 1~2 guys chasing me for entire 15 minutes or so every loving game. Still killed them, but yeah lovely community.

Also there are only about 700~1,000 people online during prime time, and almost all of them play Tier 1~2 because Tier 4 gets dragged to Tier 5 games so people give up grinding Tier 4 while people queuing with Tier 5 give up because you hardly get a match. That and you get matched against tryhards for Tier 4~5 games, who got every equipment upgraded to Mk.4 prior to grind nerf while people who started the game late or wasn't grinding hard will struggle to even get Mk.2 upgrade. Tier 3 used to be ok but it turned into tryhard fest ever since there was Tier 3 tournament with prize. That's why only Tier 1~2 are playable unless you want to go full on tryhard + grind fest. Tier 3~5 has no place for 'filthy casuals'. Star Conflict used to have so much potential to be a good game, but it's ruined now. Personally I wouldn't recommend playing Star Conflict over Fractured Space.

Might as well point your Star Conflict friends over, heh. Keep people interested in this game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

here is the AAA version of fractured space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS73MdDDA2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVcad54xWw

but also doesn't look as fun

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Got some games in the Reaper again last night and changed up my play style based on the thread suggestions.

Much Better.

That 3km tooltip needs to be changed because it is so misleading, sitting at your max gun range and pewpewing at a meaty target and scything it while timing your missiles your missiles to hit right after the scythe is devastating.

You don't burst people down with this ship but it is a really steady sustained pewpew with occasional spikes from good missile/scythe timing.

Also, flying at about a 30 degree offset towards your target and activating shroud as you engage will cause (bad) enemies to shoot your 'exposed' flank, meaning you will take no damage as they are hitting your shield. Managed to surprise a couple of gank attempts from assassins this way. You will never be top of the kill board in a reaper, but you will likely be assist king. Also one minor weird little thing with it, when you unlock the ship it says you have Bombers by default with Fighters as an unlock, but when you jump into a game you have fighters. I have been sending the fighters to defend friendly players under attack by drones and they seem pretty effective at killing other small craft.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

but also doesn't look as fun

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

As long as your team isn't full of idiots, its pretty easy to let them bum rush forward while you lock down the lane.

The sniper died 6 times and didn't get any kills I don't get it?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

BERGfu posted:

The sniper died 6 times and didn't get any kills I don't get it?

I'd presume he ran into a better sniper so had to keep his head down lest it get blown off. Which resulted in no kills and getting rushed down by others.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

I'd presume he ran into a better sniper so had to keep his head down lest it get blown off. Which resulted in no kills and getting rushed down by others.

He had the starter sniper gun, so he was pretty much useless to his team. I'd engange him outside of his range and either whittle him down or force him into cover so the Enforcer could boost over and get him.

That upgraded weapon though, being zoomed in has almost no downsides because you're dead if someone's so close that you couldn't use it anyways.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Stop posting your scores nobody cares.

In other news the Assassin is my new favourite ship. It's remarkable that I'm having new fun with every different class.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The assassin is probably my least liked ships only because of its tracking, not because of its effectiveness.

I need to unlock the other decoys and last weapon though to test it out. I do not like the plasma at all.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Daimo posted:

Stop posting your scores nobody cares.
But but I want to show off how awesome I am!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Thor-Stryker posted:

He had the starter sniper gun, so he was pretty much useless to his team. I'd engange him outside of his range and either whittle him down or force him into cover so the Enforcer could boost over and get him.

That upgraded weapon though, being zoomed in has almost no downsides because you're dead if someone's so close that you couldn't use it anyways.

I like the starter sniper gun personally; it leads to a more active playstyle than the LR Cannon. Yeah, you can project your power much further with the LR cannon, but since the railgun causes you to move forward I tend to find I have a much easier time finding targets (and being useful in Gamma/enemy base assaults).

Daimo posted:

In other news the Assassin is my new favourite ship. It's remarkable that I'm having new fun with every different class.

Yeah, they've done a surprisingly good job at making each ship feel unique. I still think they could push ships a bit further in being fun out of the gate (disruptor and flagship come to mind here), but overall I feel pretty happy playing a different ship every round.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
Flagship is arguably the "weakest" ship even though it currently has the most up/sidegrades, not really excelling at offense or defense and really just used to whale around resource points after boosting. Any T2+ assault ship will melt it in under 30 seconds, esp. Destroyers and Enforcers.

I think it really needs some defensive options... maybe give it Corvette's shield bubble instead of a mostly useless engine disable, so it can be the tank it's supposed to be.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The lack of any way to ping the map, combined with no voice chat, is really dragging this down. Working as a team is pretty essential and even with cruise control having to use typechat is a pain.

I know TS and Mumble exist but I'm a horrible recluse and just want to talk to the people in the game I'm currently playing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

The rail gun is significantly better and staying zoomed in too much is what idiot pubbie snipers do that makes them easy to kill. No one cares about your pubstomping scores that aren't even that good, usually when I see snipers I get excited cause they pad my kill count.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Chard posted:

The lack of any way to ping the map, combined with no voice chat, is really dragging this down. Working as a team is pretty essential and even with cruise control having to use typechat is a pain.

I know TS and Mumble exist but I'm a horrible recluse and just want to talk to the people in the game I'm currently playing.

they have the official team speak and I noticed a thing in the ini about enabling voice so it looks like they got that planned

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The assassin is probably my least liked ships only because of its tracking, not because of its effectiveness.

I need to unlock the other decoys and last weapon though to test it out. I do not like the plasma at all.

Plasma is lovely.
The heavy missiles are fun as fuckery.
Y'know a ship is good when the most damage you tend to take is from being too close to other ships as they blow up.
The Assassin is just all around hilariously good fun but it's very very very unforgiving of mistakes.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

Plasma is lovely.
The heavy missiles are fun as fuckery.
Y'know a ship is good when the most damage you tend to take is from being too close to other ships as they blow up.
The Assassin is just all around hilariously good fun but it's very very very unforgiving of mistakes.

What all upgrades does the Assassin actually have? I haven't bought it as Ive got the Phantom, which has no upgrades to speak of, so now Im wondering if I should burn some spacebucks

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AutoArgus posted:

What all upgrades does the Assassin actually have? I haven't bought it as Ive got the Phantom, which has no upgrades to speak of, so now Im wondering if I should burn some spacebucks
Shield Decoy - Decoy with lots of hp. 6,000 xp needed.
Jump Decoy - Doesn't last long but deploy at 7,000 m range Another 6,000 xp needed.
Plasma - Shoots Plasma that does damage on hit as well as dot damage. 6,000 xp needed.
Heavy Rocket - It's like rocket but shoots less (8 rockets compared to 16) and deals 40 more total damage. Another 6,000 xp needed.

So you need 12,000 xp total for Jump Decoy and Heavy Rocket.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
The game itself runs just fine (aside from server lag) but the menu lags like crazy - am I alone here?

Also, how do I buy ships with credits instead of company cash? (Not sure what else to call it, "USR Bucks"? "Zarek Bills"?) (Purchase as opposed to Unlock)

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 22, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The game itself runs just fine (aside from server lag) but the menu lags like crazy - am I alone here?

Also, how do I buy ships with credits instead of company cash? (Not sure what else to call it, "USR Bucks"? "Zarek Bills"?) (Purchase as opposed to Unlock)

You unlock them with company-specific research points, then purchase the ship with credits. It's a two-step process.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I get it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i have been stomping the motherfuck out of some space and ships in my destroyer. cant wait for upgrades.

FYI they are probably the only ship that snipers are good against as long as you dont let them get within 20k. also, they have firing blind spots directly above and below them as well as 2ndary blind spots directly in front of and behind. if you want to gently caress up a destroyer just get on top of it!

• Locked thread