Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I'm rewatching some episodes on hulu, and it seems like every time she meets a new person, she immediately goes into snarky oval office mode even if they're being perfectly polite to her. Then by the end of the episode, the character will randomly start being an rear end in a top hat, and then everyone is like "Wow Daria, you were right all along, how insightful of you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Daria and King of the Hill both have that in common.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Daria is just a goon

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
She's really an unlikable character throughout the entire series. I remember one episode where a kid dies and she's like, "So what? He was a jerk to me. One less jerk." People were supposed to sympathize with her by the end of it. That's when I realized whoever was writing Daria never got over the fact that they were unpopular in high school. Best thing you could say about the show is that it had a good soundtrack, but they've had to replace all the songs in the re-releases due to copyright issues so even that's gone.

At least in Seinfeld, while they acted like jerks, things generally tended to end not in their favor, with them looking like buffoons in the end. I can like Jerry because he gets what he deserves. Daria is just a smug prick and the entire series fellates her for being one.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
well, she DID have a balance before her show existed

diarrhea, cha cha cha

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Decebal posted:

Daria is just a goon

Bingo. She's correct a lot of the time but no one gives a gently caress because she's callous and has no interest in making others look good unless they can invalidate her cynicism about the world which is fundamentally impossible. That central angst is like tattooed on the inside of every Goon's right ventricle.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Beavis and Butt-head would have tag-teamed her.

No question.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

The only character on the show really worth a poo poo is Helen. She pretty much keeps her entire worthless family afloat by herself.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
this is what feminism gets you

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

Universe Master posted:

Beavis and Butt-head would have tag-teamed her.

No question.

B & B will never have sex.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

*glares at thread, sighs and rolls eyes in disgust*

Decebal posted:

Daria is just a goon

A lot of people called me Daria in school (I'm a guy), and it took me years to realize that that wasn't a compliment.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
remember the daria movie that forgot it was daria and just ended up being american pie

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Doppelganger posted:

I'm rewatching some episodes on hulu, and it seems like every time she meets a new person, she immediately goes into snarky oval office mode even if they're being perfectly polite to her. Then by the end of the episode, the character will randomly start being an rear end in a top hat, and then everyone is like "Wow Daria, you were right all along, how insightful of you."

she starts to learn that she's a bitch as the show goes on.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

B & B will never have sex.

Yeah, because Daria is a bitch

the only reason

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, she was a bitch. I thought that was the point? No one liked her and she was very unhappy because her attitude was poor.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
remember that episode where she got dolled up for prom just to teach her sister a lesson? I think the real lesson is Daria could be real hot if she carried herself better and just needs a good plowing

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

remember that episode where she got dolled up for prom just to teach her sister a lesson? I think the real lesson is Daria could be real hot if she carried herself better and just needs a good plowing

Are you saying that all her problem would be resolved my a man having sex with her ? a bit problematic

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Doppelganger posted:

yea

jane is cool though

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Decebal posted:

Are you saying that all her problem would be resolved my a man having sex with her ? a bit problematic

she never got with trent and they stuck her with some dude who was the equivalent of the guy they replaced eric with in the last 70s show season

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maldoror posted:

jane is cool though

she was the only character on the show who didn't have a huge glaring personality disorder at least

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

where do you think she wound up?

do you think she's happy as she can be and working in the women's studies dept or do you think she's being threatened with the police at a public library because she wont stop printing death threats to the president

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Alan Smithee posted:

do you think she's happy as she can be and working in the women's studies dept or do you think she's being threatened with the police at a public library because she wont stop printing death threats to the president

She gained 70 pounds after her last girlfriend broke up with her and now throws out any application from skinny bitches in her HR job.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Alan Smithee posted:

Offed herself freshman year of college. It was a long time coming.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Aesop Poprock posted:

she was the only character on the show who didn't have a huge glaring personality disorder at least
There are a few episodes where Jane seems like she'd be a lot happier without Daria in her life. Like when she joins the track team and is really successful at it, Daria isn't even a little bit supportive. Then when one of her teammates insults Daria, rather than just avoiding that person in the future, Jane quits the team altogether.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ghostworld is basically Daria. She gets on the bus to nowheresville and Jane becomes Scarlett Johansson

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I think there was supposed to be an episode where she meets her aunt, and it's sort of heavily implied that she would become very much like her upon growing up.

One of my friends back in highschool told me there was an episode where beavis and butthead accidentally found her new highschool, and the episode was supposed to be about all the shenanigans they get up to while pissing off her friends. But when I looked around for episode plots, it seems like it doesn't exist :( .

I would have loved to see that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

an episode where Beavis and Butthead visit her college and keep trying to convince her to hook them up with coeds would be a good one.

at the end she gets flustered and decides they might come in handy after a run in with the annoying sorority girls

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In the new season of beavis and butthead it's confirmed that Daria killed herself

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Wicker Man posted:

I think there was supposed to be an episode where she meets her aunt, and it's sort of heavily implied that she would become very much like her upon growing up.

She meets all of her aunts in a wedding episode, and it turns out her cool aunt is about as maladjusted as her mom/sisters, just in a different way. Like Daria.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

daria? more like diaria kerpwo slam dunk wubba wubba wubba "he's heating up" siwsh baskets on baskets cha ching

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Daria and King of the Hill both have that in common.

Pump the brakes son

Errch

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The problem with Daria is that it's literally "1st world problems: the show"

Daria lives in a loving mansion, as do all her friends. There's an episode where she goes nutty over childhood trauma that was just an instance of her parents arguing about her once. Literally the only problem she has in the world is being too cool for school. The problem is that as the shows central character, its never really expressed just how pathetic this is, and most people tend to think she's cool.

Helen is the best character though- she's the only 'sane' person (aside from Jane, I guess?). Her only flaw is working too much, but its clear she has to in order to provide for the family (i think its outright stated at some point), but she regrets it. She's also shown as actually being really supportive of her kids when needed, too.

Now Jake, there's a character who actually has some issues. He's essentially having a nervous breakdown for the entirety of the shows run.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Daria is my waifu and I will cut everyone in here.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Daria is my waifu and I will cut everyone in here.

is this a post or a title of a kotaku article

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Jake was great. His freakouts during their camp out were the best.

Oh and the crazed teacher who's always stressed and ready to have his eye pop out. And the militant feminist lady that falls in love with the super emotional wimp of a teacher.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Clapping Larry
That's a hosed up way to deal with a loss.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

King Vidiot posted:

*glares at thread, sighs and rolls eyes in disgust*

A lot of people called me Daria in school (I'm a guy), and it took me years to realize that that wasn't a compliment.

lmao

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

drilldo squirt posted:

That's a hosed up way to deal with a loss.

It's a sick, sad world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
ive seen a lot of pictures of young women smiling in front of tombstones but never young men, can a serious humorless person please explain what psychology you think enables this trend

• Locked thread