Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
You actually picked up on the gap between the last set of pendulums way before I did. I thought you just had to make a mad dash through them and I couldn't get past in time, until I saw someone leave a message in the middle. So you've got that going for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Steak Eater posted:

You actually picked up on the gap between the last set of pendulums way before I did. I thought you just had to make a mad dash through them and I couldn't get past in time, until I saw someone leave a message in the middle. So you've got that going for you.

Sen's Fortress was one of the two times I considered quitting the Let's Play. It is horrible. I'm playing a solo game on my own and I got through it that time only dying 3 or 4 times. It's a lot easier when you know what to look out for.

This first time though. Oh brother.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

One more episode of this crap, then maybe I do something other than die over and over again in Sen's Fortress. I'm so sorry.

Death Count: 95

Also my friend Darcy sent me Sakura art on Twitter.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

samu3lk posted:

Sen's Fortress was one of the two times I considered quitting the Let's Play. It is horrible. I'm playing a solo game on my own and I got through it that time only dying 3 or 4 times. It's a lot easier when you know what to look out for.

This first time though. Oh brother.

I am grateful for your perseverance. Your triumph will be all the sweeter.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I used to have a SL 20 build just for trolling in Sen's Fortress. Its my favorite place.

Did you consider summoning help to get through the level?

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

ProfessorBooty posted:

I used to have a SL 20 build just for trolling in Sen's Fortress. Its my favorite place.

Did you consider summoning help to get through the level?

I didn't really even think of it. We're pretty far along in the recording and I've done very little summoning the whole time, which is kind of a shame. In the game I'm playing on my own and in Dark Souls 2, I summon a lot more just because it's fun to goof around with other people who've played the game a billion times.

I really like the multiplayer in this game because you have to find creative ways to communicate with each other. In Dark Souls 2, I ran around with some guy in No Man's Wharf who showed me where ALL the secrets are. He'd just run up to a book case and sort of stare at it and if I kept going, he'd come get me and lead me back.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

An episode where I do not die. Sen's Fortress has me down, but not out.

There is hope.

Death Count: 95

Also: Death 100 is coming up quickly. How do you all think it will happen??

Also I got drunk and drew a Sakura on an old DnD map.

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009

samu3lk posted:

Also: Death 100 is coming up quickly. How do you all think it will happen??

Grabbed and thrown screaming off the tower by the Iron Golem. :D

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Hey gj. Glad you hit the bonfire.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Steak Eater posted:

Hey gj. Glad you hit the bonfire.

Didn't find it so much as Ricky just told me. That's what he's good for, though.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Sen's Fortress is thankfully far behind us.

Death Count: 99

Death 100 is in the next video. Place your bets on how it happens.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
What do you have against millennials?

Also.... guessing falling to your death

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Death by gravity in an attempt to drop down to the broken window.

Also, good job Tarkus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHtRggFsNA

meatgetsdirty
Apr 18, 2008
Tarkus is the best. Even without knocking the Iron Golem off the edge he can solo it most of the time on NG. Also those Anor Londo Giants are my favorite place to grind souls... six of them, 9000 souls altogether and once you get their attacks learned it's pretty much risk free.

E: bad at math, 1500 x 6 = 9000

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009

samu3lk posted:

Death 100 is in the next video. Place your bets on how it happens.

Since you avoided the death I thought you'd get, I'll try again. :)

I'm going to assume you're now used to high places and avoid the death by gravity.

I guess you take a medieval guided missile to the face and get blown off the side of a building. :D

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009

meatgetsdirty posted:

Tarkus is the best. Even without knocking the Iron Golem off the edge he can solo it most of the time on NG. Also those Anor Londo Giants are my favorite place to grind souls... six of them, 9000 souls altogether and once you get their attacks learned it's pretty much risk free.

E: bad at math, 1500 x 6 = 9000

Even easier with a Pyromancer as they don't react to Poison or Toxic Mist being cast at them due to their abysmal aggro range. 6 poison clouds and the first is dying as you cast the final one usually. :)

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

TheWolfen posted:

Even easier with a Pyromancer as they don't react to Poison or Toxic Mist being cast at them due to their abysmal aggro range. 6 poison clouds and the first is dying as you cast the final one usually. :)

Oh poo poo that's a hot tip. My soul grinding place has been in the mansion, parrying Silver Knights. I'm going to employ that in my off-camera run that I started.

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009

samu3lk posted:

Oh poo poo that's a hot tip. My soul grinding place has been in the mansion, parrying Silver Knights. I'm going to employ that in my off-camera run that I started.

To find the right range to cast from, look at the black squares on the floor. The row by the far door post as you approach the sentinels is as far as you can go without aggro, and also happens to be just inside casting range :)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Death 100 will be by seemingly trivial enemy and carelessness/overconfidence.

DocGator
May 6, 2007

Been catching up with this over the past few days and when I hit episode 13 something sounded familiar...

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

DocGator posted:

Been catching up with this over the past few days and when I hit episode 13 something sounded familiar...

That is loving amazing haha!

Also, the moment you've all been waiting for. One of you was VERY CLOSE.

Death Count: 100

Here's to 100 more.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

samu3lk posted:

Here's to 100 more.
Here's to Havel, you couldn't have done it without him.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

frankenfreak posted:

Here's to Havel, you couldn't have done it without him.

And Sen's Fortress! Half the death reel were of those two. I can honestly think of maybe one or two more spots that are really massive cockblocks all the way through to the end, and you're not railroaded into a horrible bottleneck for them. Really, I don't know who's idea it was to both make Sen's mandatory when you're so relatively weak without a decent source of souls AND have it be the only progression point, but they are just the worst sort of evil.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
The Gargoyle Tail Axe only drops from the boss version of Goldar there, IIRC.

Also you were still using the slow middle-roll with or without the gargoyle's helmet. :laugh:

Great job so far though, I love the creative things you're using when tracking Sakura's many ill-fated demises. Anor Londo is probably my favorite part of this game just because of how gorgeous it is.

DocGator
May 6, 2007

Happy 100 Sakura-chan!
The montage was really brilliant, especially all the times Sakura decided to dive off ledges at random to her death.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Glad you guys liked it. Special bonus points go to frankenfreak. Overconfidence was my killer, as it often is.

I'm working on editing the next few episodes. I'm going to try to keep posting M-W-F for a while. Should be a new one on Wednesday. I had some personal stuff to take care of today, otherwise I would have posted it tonight.

pointlessone posted:

And Sen's Fortress! Half the death reel were of those two. I can honestly think of maybe one or two more spots that are really massive cockblocks all the way through to the end, and you're not railroaded into a horrible bottleneck for them. Really, I don't know who's idea it was to both make Sen's mandatory when you're so relatively weak without a decent source of souls AND have it be the only progression point, but they are just the worst sort of evil.

I'm way ahead of the videos I've posted because our recording schedule is insane, so I think I know the areas you're talking about. I hope you all enjoy me getting angry and cussing.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I consider everything after death 100 to be a sort of "Season 2" of the LP.

Also, somebody said something about cockblocks...

Death Count: 103

This is seriously the only thing I can think of in Dark Souls that I'd call straight up bad design. Anor Londo is beautiful but these archers can go gently caress themselves.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Those guys suck.

The good news is that eventually its not a big deal, and the more annoying enemies on the way are nearly completely skipable. Whenever I start a new playthrough I either beat them the first time no problem, or it takes four or five tries. It sucks, but its not a huge deal.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
They're a roadblock, frustrating after you get bumped off the ledge for the fifth time, but once you're past them, you probably won't see them again anytime soon.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 11, 2015

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009
I really didn't expect you to die like that, wasting death #100 on that scrub! :D

I really thought it'd be the archers and their missile launchers.

Seriously though, if you thought Sen's was bad then you have a treat in store!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Yeah, Sen's Fortress ramped up punishment for poor stamina management, Anor Londo assumes the player is well versed in it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
That Demon Spear is actually a pretty good substitute for the Lightning Spear that's sitting at the bottom of an elevator shaft in Sen's Fortress. It levels up with Demon Titanite instead of Titanite Chunks, and it has some scaling, but not very good scaling. Functionally, they're identical. I tend to prefer the Demon Spear.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Nidoking posted:

That Demon Spear is actually a pretty good substitute for the Lightning Spear that's sitting at the bottom of an elevator shaft in Sen's Fortress. It levels up with Demon Titanite instead of Titanite Chunks, and it has some scaling, but not very good scaling. Functionally, they're identical. I tend to prefer the Demon Spear.

Demon's spear has the longest reach of any spear, too. Its a nightmare to fight against in PVP shieldless.

e:As a matter of fact, you've been getting quite a few pretty lucky drops. I remember spending all afternoon once trying to get a Flamberge.

DocGator
May 6, 2007

Good old Captain Lou could totally dance you guys!

Look at him go!

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

ProfessorBooty posted:

e:As a matter of fact, you've been getting quite a few pretty lucky drops. I remember spending all afternoon once trying to get a Flamberge.

I'm a video game treasure addict. One aspect of Dark Souls that really appeals to me is that treasure is actually significant. In most games, it's all useless crap at the end of the day, but nearly every drop in Dark Souls is useful either as an item that you can use to help progress through the game, or to help you understand the story and lore. That kind of stuff hits all the right buttons. I wear the Snake Ring through most of the game just to get more of that bling bling.

Oh and before I forget, here's a new episode.

Death Count: 106

I get really mad and yell at Ben in this one.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
:frogsiren: :ducksiren: :siren: Congratulations For Getting Past The Most Infamous Rough Patch of Dark Souls, Sam! :siren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I got lucky my first time through there. Something made the guy on the left kick into melee mode and he charged off his little camping spot, so I just put my shield up and waddled over to the other guy. Nasty shock the second time I played though, even though I knew it eds supposed to be there.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

bathroomrage posted:

:frogsiren: :ducksiren: :siren: Congratulations For Getting Past The Most Infamous Rough Patch of Dark Souls, Sam! :siren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren:

THANK YOU.

ALSO DARK SOULS 3 WAS CONFIRMED.

ALSO I MADE A NEW EPISODE OF MY LETS PLAY.

Death Count: 114

I get really mad and yell at Ben in this one, too.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Unfortunately the Iaito isn't a very good weapon. All of its attacks are 'slash' type, and most of the tough enemies in the game are resistant to slash. I think other katanas have attacks that utilize a better variety of attack type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

ProfessorBooty posted:

Unfortunately the Iaito isn't a very good weapon. All of its attacks are 'slash' type, and most of the tough enemies in the game are resistant to slash. I think other katanas have attacks that utilize a better variety of attack type.

Yeah well guess who basically uses it the entire drat game. It's me.

• Locked thread