Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The back door of the tower is actually a better vantage point to fight Havel from because he can chase you out the door, but he won't swing at you once he's outside. He'll just slowly back into the tower and return to his original place, even if you run up and hit him while he's doing it. If you're careful, you can kill him without ever being threatened, and the bonfire on this side has no enemies to fight along the way back if he does manage to catch you off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

And remember that just because a menu option doesn't do anything when you first see it, that doesn't mean it'll remain useless forever.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That Demon Spear is actually a pretty good substitute for the Lightning Spear that's sitting at the bottom of an elevator shaft in Sen's Fortress. It levels up with Demon Titanite instead of Titanite Chunks, and it has some scaling, but not very good scaling. Functionally, they're identical. I tend to prefer the Demon Spear.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think your blocking issues are due to poor stamina management. You really only have enough stamina to block or attack, not both. If you can learn the right position to backstab the knights, you'll have a much easier time dealing with them.

I say probably months after you finished with this part of the game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You can indeed summon Solaire for Ornstein and Smough - the summon sign is halfway up one of the staircases at the side.

And you should get in the habit of checking the stats of weapons before you upgrade them - you can get a full list of what the new weapon's stats will be. I'm pretty sure the Lightning Iaito would retain its bleed properties, but would probably have less scaling (or none). I'm a big fan of elemental weapons in general, and lightning is a pretty good one.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

samu3lk posted:

What is this math class?

I don't think you need math class to look at a number next to the Bleed icon and see whether it's 0 or something other than 0. Then again, if you live in Indiana, I could be wrong about that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If you don't like the upgraded weapon, any blacksmith can downgrade it. You could return the Chaos Blade to the Iaito+10 and then build it up to, say, a Lightning Iaito. You just won't get back the boss soul you spent to upgrade it, but I don't think anything you could get for Quelaag's soul would have been of much use to you anyway.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The glowing effect on Lautrec's feet was the Hush spell - it masks the sound of his footsteps. The Slumbering Dragon Ring produces the same effect permanently, and I use it to pretty great effect in a number of areas with lots of enemies that would otherwise be drawn to me a lot sooner. I can sneak right up behind an enemy, and as long as they don't see me coming, it's a free backstab.

I usually fight Lautrec by getting in a few hits, then running to a safe distance and using the Heal Miracle, which works during invasions but is usually too slow to be practical. With the difficulty the enemy AI has with stairs, it's usually a safe bet, and if not, there's no penalty for failing an invasion.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure that spray is actually wearing down the durability of your equipment. Since you just repaired it all and then unequipped the talisman, there's nothing that will be close to breaking, but I think the durability will have dropped a lot.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The Eye of Death is one of those items that doesn't tangibly do anything but really messes with other people if you do it right. As I understand it, it only has a noticeable effect if it hits somebody who's beaten the game once already. In that case, it fills the area they're in with black phantom enemies that respawn at every bonfire. The only way for them to eliminate those phantoms is to figure out where you used the Eye of Death, where there will be a summon sign that transports them to your world. If they kill you, the phantoms vanish. If you kill them, you probably get another Eye of Death, and that's how you increase your stock if you don't feel like grinding basilisks for them. It also wouldn't surprise me if the condition for making the coffin move is having at least one in your inventory, although it probably is just killing the demon in that room.

Also, since the area down that ladder Eric said was "progress" clearly isn't, it's about a dozen giant skeletons guarding an Ember that you probably won't bother to use. I think it's a pretty good one, but once you get it, you're past most of the areas where you'd need to use the upgrade it gives you.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

That room also generally makes ground beef out of any player unlucky enough to step down there.

For it would be undignified to die with fewer than 10 Lightning Spears still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If you haven't found her yet, the lady you rescued in the Catacombs is now praying in the church.

• Locked thread