Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
can you watch youtube on linxues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

du -hast posted:

much as id like to snicker and agree, this is sadly not true and you can still run linux on a 386 natively with a few tweaks :spergin:

This is pretty cool and reinforces my point.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

can you watch youtube on linxues

Yes you download videos with https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/ first and then you play them back with VLC or Kodi

Trust me it's the best way

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

error1 posted:

Yes you download videos with https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/ first and then you play them back with VLC or Kodi

Trust me it's the best way
please tell me the recommended setup automatically begins playing as soon as it begins downloading or that is just ridiculous

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
autismOS

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
whats the best linucks?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

whats the best linucks?

debian. if you use anything else youre scrub

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kyrie eleison posted:

debian. if you use anything else youre scrub

god help you if you need to use wine in debian because all you get is a loving ancient built in the official repo and if you go try to find a repo with up to date binaries for debian you find this clown who fell off of the gentoo wagon or something telling you not to use repos and to build it yourself

ubuntu at least has up to date software in the official repositories. just dont use unity

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
ubuntu is trash.

there is literally no reason not to use mint over ubuntu in any and every situation

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

gary oldmans diary posted:

please tell me the recommended setup automatically begins playing as soon as it begins downloading or that is just ridiculous

you can watch it in a browser at YouTube.com

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Honestly computers are a constant source of bullshit in my life so gently caress this guy and the rest of the nerds.

Like before cell phones and poo poo i could gently caress off and the boss had to find me if he wanted poo poo done lmao gently caress the internet is just full of anime and fucken bullshit anyways

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
linux is the os i use soley to hack access to wifi networks with wpa2 encryption with great ease :twisted:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

ubuntu is trash.

there is literally no reason not to use mint over ubuntu in any and every situation

aside from mint breaking dependency management which is kind of a big deal it's pretty nice

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

gggiiimmmppp posted:

god help you if you need to use wine in debian because all you get is a loving ancient built in the official repo and if you go try to find a repo with up to date binaries for debian you find this clown who fell off of the gentoo wagon or something telling you not to use repos and to build it yourself

ubuntu at least has up to date software in the official repositories. just dont use unity

linux is for servers.

ubuntu is the most popular one by far, but the name and brand is really gay and now it's really lame and corporate and they do stupid stuff like release phones. every ubuntard complains about the 2 year release cycle of debian, but then they use the LTS of ubuntu, which has a 2 year release cycle. just use debian

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

M
Personally LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Posting from my laptop that's running Linux Mint. I'm also a white person.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

linux is poo poo I am posting from a TI89 calculator just like god intended

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
it is rumored that locked under torvalds beard lurks something grotesquely inhuman, with a ravenous thirst for control over all of your hardwares. the bio-slayer can only be unleashed by turning on your system while holding f13 with any lunix iso in a media slot. the bootable lunix, if properly formatted, will consume the soul of your cpu by utilizing its subservience to the motherboard.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Izumi Konata posted:

it is rumored that locked under torvalds beard lurks something grotesquely inhuman, with a ravenous thirst for control over all of your hardwares. the bio-slayer can only be unleashed by turning on your system while holding f13 with any lunix iso in a media slot. the bootable lunix, if properly formatted, will consume the soul of your cpu by utilizing its subservience to the motherboard.

He doesn't have a beard you noob.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Salt Fish posted:

He doesn't have a beard you noob.

dear god, all of my hardwares! IT IS TOO LATE!!1

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
make that 8% more autistic and you've got a customer

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i still dont get how computers work

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Linux is very good for doing nerd poo poo and providing a platform for stuff that normal people use. If you voluntarily run it at home as an actual OS on your personal computer though... :anime:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Kyrie eleison posted:

linux is for servers.

ubuntu is the most popular one by far, but the name and brand is really gay and now it's really lame and corporate and they do stupid stuff like release phones. every ubuntard complains about the 2 year release cycle of debian, but then they use the LTS of ubuntu, which has a 2 year release cycle. just use debian

i would say the redhat family, including centos, is way more popular for servers than Debian or ubuntu dogg

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Skeleton Ape posted:

Linux is very good for doing nerd poo poo and providing a platform for stuff that normal people use. If you voluntarily run it at home as an actual OS on your personal computer though... :anime:

the latest revision of macbooks is garbage and im wondering what the future holds for me because gently caress windows. it's looking like it may finally be the year of linux on the desktop

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

which linux has the best aesthetic?? like prettiest icons and drop shadows and nicest fonts

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

the latest revision of macbooks is garbage and im wondering what the future holds for me because gently caress windows. it's looking like it may finally be the year of linux on the desktop

Since it is now 2015, most current lunixes are actually pretty good at letting you watch youtube and use wifi and all that historically pain-in-the-rear end stuff right out of the box. Finding linux software that is not extremely spergy and bad is still pretty difficult though

return0
Apr 11, 2007
lincucks

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

ashgromnies posted:

the macbook pro and macbook air didn't change though.... the new macbook is pretty sweet too but its a bit slow. if you are going to use a Linux use OS X

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Apple

More like CRAPPLE!

:smith:

Im lonely.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

if you started liking apple products you could hang out at an apple store and make friends based solely on your fetishization of a consumer electronics brand

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

if you started liking apple products you could hang out at an apple store and make friends based solely on your fetishization of a consumer electronics brand

Just like Hitachi right?

:rolleyes:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Linux sucks. Unix is better. hth

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Does anyone use *BSD?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

the macbook pro and macbook air didn't change though.... the new macbook is pretty sweet too but its a bit slow. if you are going to use a Linux use OS X

they didn't change the macbook pro... yet

i have a bunch of thunderbolt and firewire accessories because apple claimed both were the future, gently caress this usb c poo poo

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Does anyone use *BSD?

OS X

i run FreeBSD for my NAS as wel

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
literally NOBODY cares about linux

hope this doesnt help

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Moola posted:

literally NOBODY cares about linux

hope this doesnt help

I care deeply and also sexually about Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

they didn't change the macbook pro... yet

i have a bunch of thunderbolt and firewire accessories because apple claimed both were the future, gently caress this usb c poo poo

Thunderbolt is a cool port and i don't think it will go away on the pro lineup, i doubt anyone that isn't a nerdlord uses it though so why would they include it on what is targeted at the mass market?

• Locked thread