Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

WHAT THIS IS:
Calling is a 2009/2010 horror video game for Nintendo's Wii console. It received near-universally negative reviews from critics, but I can't help but love it. Just look at the clever logo!

STORY/PREMISE:
In Calling, you play as a girl name Rin (most of the time). After talking to some people in an online chat room called The Black Page, you're mysteriously spirited away to a place called the Mnemonic Abyss, from which there seems to be no escape. Don't worry, though, because you can call various phone numbers you find to warp to the corresponding phones. That's convenient!

HOW WE'RE PLAYING:
This will be a video LP with commentary with my girlfriend Amy. We're not going to play for 100% completion. All we're going for is fun and commentary, and a few surprises along the way. The game has some pretty interesting and unique features, and we're really excited to show them to everyone.

SPOILER POLICY:
Talking about certain features of the game is fine, and discussing the characters is fine, too. But please don't spoil the overarching story!

EPISODES:
Part 1: Double Violence for Teens
Part 2: Are You SURE It Won't Open?
Part 3: Enough With Introductions
Part 4: Ninja Lumberjack?
Part 5: Ghost Storage
Part 6: Surprisingly Kind Of Depressing
Part 7: Stupid Nurses, Teasing Children!
Part 8: Dancy and Anxious
Part 9: The End! (Not Really)
Part 10: It's Like I'm Johnny Deck
Part 11: Bum Rush
Part 12: My Cat Can Fly, Teach Yours How!
Part 12a: BONUS!
Part 13: Just, Like, A Bunch Of Faces
Part 14 (FINALE): Bathroom Pervert

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
While you were talking about the Wii clock and how the clock on the desk doesn't match, I couldn't help but notice...

The hell is with that keyboard?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
You know what? The TV was dark enough that I hadn't even noticed that. But now I'm in the same boat as you are.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

bathroomrage posted:

While you were talking about the Wii clock and how the clock on the desk doesn't match, I couldn't help but notice...

At first I thought it might be what they use for keyboards over in japan, but a quick Google search showed that they use qwerty like we do so that is a good loving question. Maybe that's what the developers think people use in the states?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember seeing Niggurath play this game a little in his Nanashi no Game thread. It will be interesting to see what happens.

bathroomrage posted:

:effort:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Hehe I love these weird no name games on the Wii. You can always find some pretty interesting if flawed gems on them.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Haven't you guys ever hear of Dvorak? :v:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up, woooooo!

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 19, 2015

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
You two are delightful, frankly.

Also the game looks fine too I guess.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The game has its quirks but it does look like it could be a lot of fun. I actually agree with Ped that the Wii was really a great console. The problem is nobody really cared for anything that wasn't AAA stuff.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zain posted:

The game has its quirks but it does look like it could be a lot of fun. I actually agree with Ped that the Wii was really a great console. The problem is nobody really cared for anything that wasn't AAA stuff.
It's actually pretty boring and tedious. The developers didn't seem to have a good grasp on pacing or that the player doesn't want to have to repeat the same simple QTE 20 times in a row or backtrack multiple staircases in a mostly empty school. Like even going quickly through the school takes about an hour and realistically there's only about 30 minutes worth of content in there.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

You guys are having so much fun with this, it's great :allears:

The Wiimote phone thing is pretty cool

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3!

Also, thanks for all the kind words; it means a lot to us.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Wait Hudson went belly up? Hehe, god I really do enjoy the commentary.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4's up. More mediocrity!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is ready! We're in a hospital now. In a horror game! I AM BESIDE MYSELF WITH UTTER SHOCK.

So, a friend of mine and I are always talking about what we would do if we were the characters in these horror games. To be completely honest, I have no idea how I'd react; I suspect the adrenaline would take over and I'd immediately kick into survival mode and do what ever I had to do in order to make it out alive. My friend's answer is always that she'd kill herself, which is boring. What about all of you? How would you survive, or would it just be more desirable to end it all at the beginning?

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Personally it depends on what kind of threat it is. If it's something I could reasonably fight off then I'd at least attempt to do so. If we're talking some H.P. Lovecraft poo poo, however, I'd probably just save myself the trouble and blow my brains out.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Haven't actually seen part 5 yet, so not sure if there's any relevant information to the questions. But, I've always thought people tend to get silly with ghosts. If you're fighting against actual ghosts of people who died. Then you've got evidence there's an afterlife of sorts, now clearly not everyone becomes a ghost. So to counteract the possibility of becoming a murderous ghost bastard I'd probably get heavy into religion to try and raise the chances of circumventing it. Go to confession, renounce my wicked ways, cleanse myself spiritually. Doesn't matter what religion, anything would likely bring a better chance then just going "gently caress it". At the very least it would bring some kind of comfort, even if it turned out to be wrong. In a situation like that, even false hope would likely get you further than no hope at all. Alternatively, since not everyone becomes a ghost, maybe being at peace helps against that. In which case, again, religion might give enough false hope to keep you in the ground.

Besides, being attacked by a hair ghost in the middle of a cathedral would be a cool way to go. If only because there's so much space for the hair to fill.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Simon The Digger posted:

Personally it depends on what kind of threat it is. If it's something I could reasonably fight off then I'd at least attempt to do so. If we're talking some H.P. Lovecraft poo poo, however, I'd probably just save myself the trouble and blow my brains out.

Yeah, it really depends on the brand of horror we're talking about. Good ol' fashioned Romero shambling zombies? I have sufficient understanding of physics and human anatomy to set up someplace while they accidentally battered themselves to worthlessness. Plus I live in a part of Iowa where the winters can get pretty drat cold, and the summers can get pretty drat hot, either one of which will gently caress up a decomposing corpse pretty good.

As for J-horror stuff, I'm probably screwed. Not because of whatever reaction I might have, but because there's a trend in Japanese ghost stories where you're pretty much hosed no matter what you do. No idea if this game does that, but there are several movies and urban legends that give that impression.

Lovecraftian? Probably just off myself. If it's proper Lovecraft stuff, there's literally no hope in the end anyway, so why suffer through the part between here and oblivion? Maybe I can get lucky and end up in the Dreamlands, or something. Celaphais is a really nice city, after all. Or the city with all the cats. I like cats.

Some friends and I had a conversation about who would live through a standard western slasher movie, and it was a bit of a tossup whether I would be the sole survivor or not; on the one hand, I'm the "virtuous" person, no drinking/smoking/drugs/sleeping around/etc. On the other hand, I'm the fat guy. None of us seemed terribly likely to make it, going by tropes. Really, the only thing we needed was a racial minority and a few females (one promiscuous, one valley girl, and one virtuous good girl) to round out the roster.
---
As a side note, since you mentioned having trouble pronouncing names, I'd be glad to do a quick and dirty rundown of Japanese vowel pronounciation.

azren fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 25, 2015

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

azren posted:

Lovecraftian? Probably just off myself. If it's proper Lovecraft stuff, there's literally no hope in the end anyway, so why suffer through the part between here and oblivion? Maybe I can get lucky and end up in the Dreamlands, or something. Celaphais is a really nice city, after all. Or the city with all the cats. I like cats.

Maybe you'd luck out and it'd be a Robert E. Howard version of the Lovecraftian mythos, where if you punch the unknown horror hard enough you can still come out on top.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
This game is very spooky and I jump a little every time anything happens or whenever you turn around. But the commentary is so :3: I'm getting some intense mood whiplash.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

citybeatnik posted:

Maybe you'd luck out and it'd be a Robert E. Howard version of the Lovecraftian mythos, where if you punch the unknown horror hard enough you can still come out on top.

Hell, you can survive Lovecraft Cthulhu if you have a nice boat to hit him with.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What would I do in a horror situation? Reminds me of this time when I asked in another forum during Halloween what music would you want playing if you were being chased by a monster. I remember someone saying "Hallowed Be Thy Name" by Iron Maiden.

Anyway, if I were in a horror situation, first thing I would do is make sure I'm not in the dark. I could use a flashlight or a phone light, but supernatural horrors tend to mess with electricity. If that were to happen, glow sticks would be handy (let's see a horror turn that off). After that depends on the situation.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Trying to play video catchup at this point, but after finishing the second video, I would just like to say that you two are evil for scaring the crap out of poor Shin like that.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Edvarius posted:

Trying to play video catchup at this point, but after finishing the second video, I would just like to say that you two are evil for scaring the crap out of poor Shin like that.

Hey, it's not their fault that their character can't be bothered to speak up.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

Hey, it's not their fault that their character can't be bothered to speak up.

Yeah, we tried to press a bunch of buttons. SHE'S the evil one, we're perfect angels!

Anyway, I agree with getting out of a dark place in a horror situation. I think sight is the most important of the five senses, and especially if something wants you dead, seeing is important. Just look at how important it is in Calling; if the light is merely dim, or maybe semi-bright, you can't do anything in that game!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is live now!

The game takes an interesting turn in terms of tone here, and I actually really like it. This is about the point where I always feel myself starting to get invested in the story.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, we tried to press a bunch of buttons. SHE'S the evil one, we're perfect angels!
Don't think I didn't hear that laughter :colbert:

Anyway, that was a pretty interesting chapter. I wasn't expecting the supposedly malevolent forces at work here to actually think one of the victims didn't deserve it and make it as easy on her as possible. But then that just goes to show why you shouldn't go for the "I'll haunt you all" style of revenge. Too easy to give sweet old ladies heart attacks.

Also, when Amy guessed that the larger stalls were supposed to be the handicap accessible ones that made me actually pay a bit more attention to the environment, and I noticed that pretty much all of the fixtures in those hospital bathrooms had the support bars. It's a pretty minor detail, but it's nice that they actually thought of that instead of just making them a generic public bathroom.

Amars
Jan 4, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hi everyone-- it's Amy. I figured it's about time I made a post in here.

We just uploaded Part 7: Stupid Nurses, Teaching Children. In a sense, we're on the homestretch now. During the session in which Peter and I recorded this one, we hit an ending. That will be coming up fairly soon. In this chunk of playthrough, we get to see our world go all red and black, Peter complains about wasteful diary practices, and we're treated to a huge reveal that totally no one saw coming. Hold on to your seats! Or don't; it'll probably be fine.

Anyway, I wanted to thank all of you who are watching. It's been a lot of fun to work on this one.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I think I've figured out how you can have phone calls without transporting: you can only transport if the phone you're calling is by itself and without a living person holding it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ooh, that's actually a really good theory! I thought it was just that if someone didn't answer in time, you'd teleport, which was why it took so long for the screen to go dark when making a call. I like your idea a lot more.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Can you hop out into the abyss through one of those doors?

Amars
Jan 4, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

wereboat posted:

Can you hop out into the abyss through one of those doors?

Peter says he thinks you can. The next time we're recording, we'll do our best to jump out to our deaths.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
MY GOD. Welp, that mystery is solved.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Can you call any of the previous phones again?

Amars
Jan 4, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kjetting posted:

Can you call any of the previous phones again?

I believe we can, generally. There's a part that we'll get up to that involves a lot of phone travel, and going back to old numbers will take you back to those locations. That being said, I don't know if there are any extra ghosts/goodies/jump scares by doing so. We'll play around with it, and if we find anything good, we'll post videos.

Amars
Jan 4, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
And we're back with Part 8: Dancy and Anxious.

In this episode, we spend some more time in the hospital while Rin continues making realizations that we all figured out forever ago. Also a debate about benches.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9 is up! This is kind of the "end" of the game, but we continue playing some new, unlockable chapters to get an alternate ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Glad that there's something after that ending, because it's not much of one.

• Locked thread