Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm just waiting for Leekie's worm-controlled corpse to claw it's way out of the Hendrix's garage floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Sober posted:

Orphan Black is definitely guilty of forgetting there was a metaphor or analogy to be made and pushed it away to :techno: the crap out of everything. It's kinda fallen into a trap where they :techno:'d so hard they have to, in some perverted way, see it through.

Thank god the show has actual decent characters and sometimes the writers get slapped upside the head and are reminded of it because it could've devolved into much worse. S3 was a fairly good course correct all things considered.

The whole metaplot of conspiracies upon conspiracies just exists now and bores me more than other whatevers most people might hate about the show. Well, the conspiracy plot sort of weaves back into the show's overall metaphor, it's just that it's lost in all the noise because the creators probably thought they could make all the factions who want to get their hands on Leda clones more confusing and obtuse than it should be. Especially season 2.

What metaphor/analogy was that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most of the season was so-so but man eps 9&10 were excellent. Has this been picked up for a 4th year yet?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I could have sworn the other season were longer than 10 episodes, but apparently not, this season finale blindsided me. The last few episodes did help start bringing it together, but I did find most of the season's story pretty boring and scattered about. Not exactly sure where the plan to take the show, but whatever story they do go with, I will always find Tatiana Maslany interesting to watch. She sells it on every other character so well, I can sometimes forget it's her doing everything.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rhyno posted:

Most of the season was so-so but man eps 9&10 were excellent. Has this been picked up for a 4th year yet?

Yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sweet.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone make a gif of Helena kicking the duct tape Into Castor's face?

Edit: v v perfect thank you !

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Can someone make a gif of Helena kicking the duct tape Into Castor's face?

I didn't make this, but I found it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Ferdinand went from being a weird little turd to being awesome in a scene. Also the extra layer of conspiracy is obnoxious but the weird bodysnatcher earwig and Ferdinand's innate hatred of the Neolutionists did help sell it for me.

Ferdinand randomly killing someone with a bat was awesome and kind of unexpected so it works well.

Also Clone Dinner Party not as good as Clone Dance Party.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Combat Pretzel posted:

In some way, we shouldn't be surprised that the Neolutionists came back eventually. I mean, Leeky was one of them and heading DYAD. The contrast between cheap nightclubs and pyramid suites is a little jarring, tho.

I think that was on purpose - that Neolutionists are a serious concern but their public face is so ridiculous that they aren't taken seriously (both in-world and by the viewers). Aside from Leekie, who only really talked about Neolution when he was giving lectures and chatting up attractive young scientists, the only other one was Olivier the tail-fetishist. It's like if someone told you that Juggalos were secretly the Illuminati.

Poor Jesse Towing and Crystal, though. I was hoping they'd both make it to the Clone Dinner Party but instead they just kind of disappeared.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Crystal got to keep her eye at least, diverting a really :smith: bit into being merely :unsmith:.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oh yeah, what is going to happen to Crystal?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
Ah, poor Crystal, the loneliest clone. At least Tony was given the choice and didn't want to get involved. Crystal is desperate to know what the deal is but Sarah just can't be bothered.

I really do hope they bring her in next season. All the regular clones have settled into their team dynamic, they need someone new to shake things up and make the inevitable impersonation scenes really tense again.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'd kind of like the next season to randomly deal with another set of clones trying to figure out about all the cloning stuff just for an episode before they get killed (as Top Side did in Finland).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

She's gonna go on a girlfriend date with Allison of course

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't care as long as Helena gets to pretend to be Krystal and give manicures. 'I cut off finger, it's the only way'

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

Leospeare posted:

Poor Jesse Towing and Crystal, though. I was hoping they'd both make it to the Clone Dinner Party but instead they just kind of disappeared.
I don't think either one of them knows about Clone Club yet? I was surprised (but happy!!) that Jesse Towing even *remembered* Helena, the girl he met months ago at a seedy bar for fifteen minutes, let alone still thought about her. Probably best not to toss him in the deep end just yet. And Crystal...well, Crystal hates twins.

I hope we get more Crystal next season too. Her ridiculous "big dummy with deep thoughts" attitude is perfect. I was super happy that she kept her eye, but I also thought it was weird that The Big Neolution Worm Conspiracy would kidnap her, knock her out and swap her for Rachel -- but that they *wouldn't* go to the trouble of brain-damaging her and gouging out her eye. Unless they didn't intend the Rachel/Crystal swap to fool everyone forever, they just needed to buy enough time to get Rachel clear...?

I don't know. This was the greatest finale. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time waiting for something terrible to happen, but aside from poor gutshot Delphine, all the "big tense scary" moments ended up with the girls having the upper hand! "Oh no, Rudy is stalking Alison! WAIT THEY TOTALLY KNOW HE'S THERE, THIS IS AWESOME!" "Oh no, Rudy is faking it and he's going to stab Helena! PHEW, no, he's just dying." Aaaah tense.

I'm really happy everyone remembered Beth. I'm not sure why everyone's so comfortable around Helena, who killed four of their other sestras in season 1...and her own birth mother...and chopped up a bunch of drug dealers last week...but she's Helena and she's adorable so I'm not going to put too much thought into it. Alison seems appropriately unsettled and that's good enough for me.

Also: Alison said "sestras"!!! My heart is melting. :3

Ferdinand is my new favorite unpredictable lunatic. I never thought I'd say this but more Ferdinand please. Swinging a bat, a tub of acid, a boiling hate for Neos and begging to be dominated and humiliated by someone, anyone from Clone Club...

Hey, do we know for sure that Susan Duncan is with the Neolution folks? I couldn't figure out if the end was "oh no Rachel is imprisoned by the next big conspiracy" or "awwww Rachel is reunited with her mom!" I think maybe it's both...

Can't wait for next season! Only what, 42 weeks to go? ARGH.

Takei is Okay fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 25, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Leospeare posted:

Aside from Leekie, who only really talked about Neolution when he was giving lectures and chatting up attractive young scientists, the only other one was Olivier the tail-fetishist.
I forgot all about this somehow.

This show has so many conspiracies it made me forget about Helena cutting some guy's tail off. That's too many conspiracies.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they talked about how the entire show has only comprised about 4 months in universe.

That can't be right, can it? Those are clearly the most sense 4 months ever

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
The entire clone dinner party I just could not shake the thought that the DEA was going to raid it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think it was mentioned in the finale that Susan Duncan was "corrupted by the Neolutionists".

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

ETB posted:

I think it was mentioned in the finale that Susan Duncan was "corrupted by the Neolutionists".

Ah! Missed that, thanks.

And hey, more Krystal in Season 4! Finale wrap-up interview with John Fawcett here. Can't wait to see how she and Felix interact...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sbaldrick posted:

I'd kind of like the next season to randomly deal with another set of clones trying to figure out about all the cloning stuff just for an episode before they get killed (as Top Side did in Finland).

I'm betting the Neolutionists have figured out a quick cloning process and we'll get clones of everyone. Like the person who shot Delphine was probably a Delphine clone.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm betting the Neolutionists have figured out a quick cloning process and we'll get clones of everyone. Like the person who shot Delphine was probably a Delphine clone.

All I really want out of this show is a bunch of clones of Rockabilly Bob.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Takei is Okay posted:

Ah! Missed that, thanks.

And hey, more Krystal in Season 4! Finale wrap-up interview with John Fawcett here. Can't wait to see how she and Felix interact...
Hopefully they find a useful role for her if she joins or helps Clone Club on the regular. Felt like there were a few throwaway clones that showed up and didn't really do much, and I feel like the current Clone Club has most things covered.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

It definitely gets pretty hard to suss out just who the frok is on what side and the fruk they really want, but this season actually seemed to clarify a lot of the more absurd conspiracies going on, and it all honestly just comes down to a bunch of similarly shady groups with the same dire case of "Ends justify the means!" syndrome.

Dyad -- aka Leda -- is just in it for the money. They want to patent the science, patent the technology, patent the clones themselves. Imagine stem cell research magnified by tenfold; the science of these clones could cure diseases and halt aging, and it would all be under the control of DYAD. But they can't do that if the science is flawed and the clones themselves get sick and die, which is why they even care at all about curing them.

The military -- aka Castor -- is in the business of war. Not only are they interested in clone soldiers, but the fact that this science could cause brain disease in men and cervical cancer in women is what has them really excited. They're...probably...working on cures since they want healthy soldiers, but their first priority has always been to weaponize the technology.

Neolutionists, who are apparently the super big shady conspirators behind both Leda and Castor, are basically transhumanists. The want humanity to "evolve" by genetically modifying themselves into something else. Leekie (who get hella killed by Donnie) was a Neolutionist. I...don't really know why they'd be evil other than the fact that they just kinda are, I guess.

And Prolethians are just religious nutjobs that think clones are sinful abominations and so forth.

excellent summary and really the Neolutionists are great fun w/ untapped potential from the original season's dangling plot line. Everything else was derivative and started to crawl up the rear end of inner locking conspiracies that when I heard the revelation they were players in all this it was exciting and a relief. I feel that having them take center stage as opponents to the sister cuts through the corporate and religious factions crap. We need these other sub sects but I'm happy Castor is a one season problem and in the rear-view like the Prolethians.

One of the big highlights of the finale was watching the sister have the strategic advantage, especially to the degree that they obviously planned for Alison to be the bait as her life is the toughest to conceal at a moment's notice.

I suspect that deep down the entire drug dealer misadventure was unconsciously a partial reaction to Alison's relationship to Sarah. Alison has seen Sarah as the fringe player who takes center stage and deals w/ the chaos in a way which Beth never could and she has that outlaw rebel vibe, the opposite of Alison. They share a relationship with Felix at times in which Cosima and Helena never do. Alison, for lack of this overused term, breaks bad this past season in a way which is clearly influenced by Sarah & Felix and was incomprehensible in season 1. I'm not convinced it led anywhere but her ties to the community and development as a small business owner sure give the sisters more resources and maneuverability then they've had in a while. Felix's apartment, Mrs. S's contacts, Dyad's labs and Art's allegiance are fragile resources and augmenting them w/ a business front isn't a horrible way to go.

How long before Crystal begins working for Alison?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Sober posted:

Hopefully they find a useful role for her if she joins or helps Clone Club on the regular. Felt like there were a few throwaway clones that showed up and didn't really do much, and I feel like the current Clone Club has most things covered.

Call me crazy but I think Crystal (Krystal? Khrystal? whatever) could have a Season One Sarah kind of vibe. Sarah's changed a lot, from a resourceful but unreliable deadbeat to a leader and problem-solver. Crystal seems flaky and ditzy but Felix discovered that she's desperate to solve the mystery and was investigating it without any clone club support whatsoever. If nothing else she could fill the spot of "rookie who's in over her head" since the main four clones now have so much experience dealing with conspiracies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So is Project Castor part of some established military, or basically just their own Blackwater like paramilitary force? And is it and Project Leda both branches of Topside, whatever that is? And are Project Leda and the Dyad Institute the same thing? Sorry if the show has clarified this at any point but if so it obviously sailed past me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, this is about to get a bit confusing, partially because I said a few misleading things in the first place:

Leda and Castor were both military projects, originally; in fact they were the same project, headed by the Duncans (Rachel's foster parents) (And Susan Duncan has now been revealed to be a major Neolutionist, which would make sense if those guys are claiming to have been controlling everything "from the start"). Anyway, Dyad took no part in the original science, so they're technically not "Project Leda" even though they're the ones that stepped in and took control after the military supposedly shut the project down.

But, obviously, the military didn't shut anything down and just carried the project in another direction. Somehow (by Neolution design?), Dyad ended up with the girl clones and the military got the boy clones. And yeah, at least some heads of the military were totally aware of Castor and totally approved of the weapons research; Paul's boss was one of them.

Topside is just what lower-level Dyad employees call the upper level Dyad-bosses and is a Dyad-specific thing. It should not, theoretically, have anything to do with the military; though they started as one project, Leda and Castor are two totally separate individual things at this point. That woman Sarah met at the end of the season 2 finale -- the one with the clone child -- is a member of Topside, and she was keeping one of the military clones prisoner so they're clearly not on working terms.

There are probably Neolution moles in both Dyad and the military, but even when Wormtongue (:haw:) revealed that his people were steering both projects, he still suggested that Topside will "unknowingly" hand them the genome, which probably means the "official" heads of both military and Dyad genuinely had no idea they were being steered.

Unless...they did! This is Orphan Black, after all. We should probably prepare for the possibility that they're gonna add even more unnecessary complications to their conspiracies, even after they just finished mostly untangling things. v:v:v

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, this is about to get a bit confusing, partially because I said a few misleading things in the first place:

Leda and Castor were both military projects, originally; in fact they were the same project, headed by the Duncans (Rachel's foster parents) (And Susan Duncan has now been revealed to be a major Neolutionist, which would make sense if those guys are claiming to have been controlling everything "from the start"). Anyway, Dyad took no part in the original science, so they're technically not "Project Leda" even though they're the ones that stepped in and took control after the military supposedly shut the project down.

But, obviously, the military didn't shut anything down and just carried the project in another direction. Somehow (by Neolution design?), Dyad ended up with the girl clones and the military got the boy clones. And yeah, at least some heads of the military were totally aware of Castor and totally approved of the weapons research; Paul's boss was one of them.

Topside is just what lower-level Dyad employees call the upper level Dyad-bosses and is a Dyad-specific thing. It should not, theoretically, have anything to do with the military; though they started as one project, Leda and Castor are two totally separate individual things at this point. That woman Sarah met at the end of the season 2 finale -- the one with the clone child -- is a member of Topside, and she was keeping one of the military clones prisoner so they're clearly not on working terms.

There are probably Neolution moles in both Dyad and the military, but even when Wormtongue (:haw:) revealed that his people were steering both projects, he still suggested that Topside will "unknowingly" hand them the genome, which probably means the "official" heads of both military and Dyad genuinely had no idea they were being steered.

Unless...they did! This is Orphan Black, after all. We should probably prepare for the possibility that they're gonna add even more unnecessary complications to their conspiracies, even after they just finished mostly untangling things. v:v:v

Topside comprises more than Dyad. It's basically a multi industry lobbying group trying to steer policy in favor of themselves.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

aBagorn posted:

So I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they talked about how the entire show has only comprised about 4 months in universe.

That can't be right, can it? Those are clearly the most sense 4 months ever

Kira is the fastest growing child ever.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Tatiana Maslany's been nominated for an Emmy at last.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ape Gone Insane posted:

The system works! :neckbeard:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ape Gone Insane posted:

GOOD!! It's so outrageous that she was overlooked before.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Pupok was the turning point just like some goon said.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Was suprised to see activity on this thread, and lo and behold it's great news! Hooray! I hope she wins. (She won't, because people are still dicks about genre, but maybe one of these years...)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kesper North posted:

Was suprised to see activity on this thread, and lo and behold it's great news! Hooray! I hope she wins. (She won't, because people are still dicks about genre, but maybe one of these years...)

Not only is she on a sci-fi show, but she's up against one of Mad Men's leads after Mad Men's last season. She won't win this time around, but I'm thrilled she got nominated!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

macnbc posted:

Not only is she on a sci-fi show, but she's up against one of Mad Men's leads after Mad Men's last season. She won't win this time around, but I'm thrilled she got nominated!

I'd say Mad Men is probably the least of the concerns in that category. She'll probably lose instead to Viola Davis or Taraji P Henson.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
No comedy lead nomination for Gina Rodriguez or comedy supporting actor for Jaime Camil, Emmys still terrible.
edit: Apparently there is an 'Outstanding Narrator' category they got nominated in so there's that at least.

OB also has the Season 3 blooper reel up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMvngMPDAg
It's crazy how Pupok was an actual scorpion and ended up looking CGI as hell.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Finally got caught up on this show.

You should not threaten babies.

• Locked thread