Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Whelp, We have two options, Twitter and Chip. Twitter to devs, and Chip (given he apparently works for Volition now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

foozwak posted:

My inner autist is curious about what engine this game used, and googling isn't pulling anything up. If I had to guess I'd say Renderware, because really, what else would it be. That, and I find the overall look of it reminiscent of Max Payne 2.

It runs on the Havok angine according to the game's opening screen.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Try to keep the Welcome Back Frank stuff to a minimum. As I've said, a large part of the game is based directly on the series, so don't go charging ahead.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I was just posting the scene that the game referenced for kicks.

Side note, Volition has declared it's an engine from their own design

https://twitter.com/DSVolition/status/595587026671501312

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
You know, you mentioned there aren't that many hyper-violent games anymore, and I've been playing Shadow of Mordor lately.

I think you'd like it if you haven't played it already.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

bathroomrage posted:

You know, you mentioned there aren't that many hyper-violent games anymore, and I've been playing Shadow of Mordor lately.

I think you'd like it if you haven't played it already.

Orc Serial Killer Simulator 2014 is a pretty great game, yes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Orc Politics Simulator 2014 thank you very much...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708039

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

I don't see how what you said and what he said are different things.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Calax posted:

[...]Chip (given he apparently works for Volition now).

Wait, as in Cheezum?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

azren posted:

Wait, as in Cheezum?

Yes. One of the reasons his Watch_Dogs review got held up was he transitioned into a new job, at a game company, and somebody in the thread mentioned it was Volition.

dancinginfernal
Dec 27, 2012
As someone interested in Punisher wanting to try it out, what's a good starting point for the comics?

My only real exposure is this LP and general osmosis, so I'm kind of blind in terms of what would be a good pick.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

dancinginfernal posted:

As someone interested in Punisher wanting to try it out, what's a good starting point for the comics?

My only real exposure is this LP and general osmosis, so I'm kind of blind in terms of what would be a good pick.

Welcome Back, Frank is the best for the Mainline marvel. It's self contained and gives a good view of his character.

In the Beginning... is a starting point for a longer series (The Max series). But it's disconnected from the rest of Marvel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

dancinginfernal posted:

Start with the Marvel Knights arc titled Welcome Back, Frank

after that you want to read what is known as the the definitive run of Punisher ever, the Marvel MAX series; issues #1-60

The MAX series is outside of the main Marvel timeline, so no superheroes or anything like that. It's an older Frank (takes place in "real-time" so he's been killing for ~30 years), and it's part of the rated-R Marvel so it gets pretty violent. But the stories are top notch and really get into deconstructing Frank and his world.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
I've never been interested in comic books, superheroes or otherwise, but the MAX series is amazing.

And yeah, while proper super-powered people don't show up, another Marvel mainstay makes some appearances and he is equally great.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The Max take on things is always interesting. They also did a series called "Supreme Power" which was basically a 00's update on the DC comics characters that they'd played with (Hyperion etc) but it was written by J Michael Strazynski (I don't know hwo to spell that name).

Included Hyperion (their Superman analogue) demonstrating to the US military they were playing with fire when they try to control him... by flying into space and coming down on the south pole causing a MASSIVE earthquake (because his overall strength is registered on the tectonic scale)

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Since someone mentioned that Daredevil's villians tend to crossover to the Punisher's, like Bushwacker for instance, anyone know if Damage, the first boss in the game was also from Daredevil?

I knew Damage from the Punisher War Journal comics that was drawn by Jim Lee, when he tried to jack Punisher's parked Battle Van to get a hold of all the weapons he knew that was in it. It did not end well for him to say the least.

He was only a gang leader so I don't know if he would have pop up anywhere else, though it does seem logical that he seem to be someone the Daredevil goes up against.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update - Part 5

Uncensored interrogations

Put the fun back in to the funeral!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow, I wasn't aware Frank had been a member of the UDA.

Edit - eh, he could have killed Eddie like that one enforcer at the end of 'In the Beginning'. Now THAT was a gruesome kill.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 8, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ma Gnucci has got a few more people to bury now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Samovar posted:

Ironic, considering Garth Ennis has written a fair bit about The Troubles, and generally believes both sides to be full of poo poo.

paragon1 posted:

Ma Gnucci has got a few more people to bury now.

She gets a discount for buying graves in bulk.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Ironic, considering Garth Ennis has written a fair bit about The Troubles, and generally believes both sides to be full of poo poo.

She gets a discount for buying graves in bulk.

Might as well buy a patch of land upstate specifically for that at this point.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

This level is the one i think of when i think onto this game strictly because of that opening and that point with the remote bomb :allears:.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

This level is the one i think of when i think onto this game strictly because of that opening and that point with the remote bomb :allears:.

Why hasn't Frank been doing the remote bomb thing all the previous times?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Haven't watched the video very far... but according to google Maps, our battle should have taken place in the "East River PRofessional Building" at 523 E. 72nd St. in New York.

Across the street from a Sotheby's and a small apartment complex, with three doctors inside.

Edit: should add, on Punisher's "Girls" He did bang and knock up an ex cia agent (O'Brien) in the Max Series. Had a daughter with her too although he didn't know about it until the girl was used as leverage against him.

Calax fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 8, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Don't know why I hadn't checked in on this thread earlier. I love this game a lot, it really gets how Punisher walks the line between dark and gritty and bizarre, violent campiness. This LP is great, thanks for walking me through this game again.

Also shame on everyone in this thread who doesn't like Punisher: War Zone. :mad:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Also shame on everyone in this thread who doesn't like Punisher: War Zone. :mad:

Not too sure why anyone who enjoyed reading the Punisher wouldn't really. As much fun the first two movies were, War Zone is the one that stuck closest to the original material. Particuarly Ennis' MAX run of it.

Then again I liked Ennis' work on the Punisher and I pretty much stopped following it when his run ended as well. So slight bias there I guess...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Calax posted:

Edit: [spoilers]

Kindly edit out or properly tag this part of your post with respect to this part of the OP's spoiler policy:

quote:

the particulars of the comics must be spoiler tagged until Kaboom Dragoon covers them or says that he won't be covering them

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The mortician instantly jumps to being my favorite character so far.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, one thing I'm digging about the Punisher is that it's an actual plot point that he's insane. Not something that's easily picked up from subtext like with Batman, but an actual part of the story: These are not the actions of a sane or healthy man, and Frank Castle is neither sane nor healthy.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The mortician instantly jumps to being my favorite character so far.

Haha yeah I completely forgot about his part in the game.

Night10194 posted:

You know, one thing I'm digging about the Punisher is that it's an actual plot point that he's insane. Not something that's easily picked up from subtext like with Batman, but an actual part of the story: These are not the actions of a sane or healthy man, and Frank Castle is neither sane nor healthy.

At one point during the MAX run with Ennis its suggested that if Frank didn't have criminals to shoot (pretty much his reason for being), he'd start killing everyone else.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samovar posted:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, the second MAX book is called Kitchen Irish and actually discusses the Troubles lol

SugarAddict posted:

Why hasn't Frank been doing the remote bomb thing all the previous times?

Frank hates bombs (though not claymores), see above

Roman Reigns posted:

At one point during the MAX run with Ennis its suggested that if Frank didn't have criminals to shoot (pretty much his reason for being), he'd start killing everyone else.

site fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 8, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Defenestration is a pretty classy way to go.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Finally got the time to catch up with this thread, I really enjoy all the trivia from the comics, as someone who hasn't read comics in almost 2 decades(and when I did I was more of a Blade and Nightstalkers guy) it's interesting to hear about this stuff, I'm thinking I need to find a trade of "Welcome Back, Frank" now.

As for the game itself, I never finished it for whatever reason, I played it coming off of The Suffering and Manhunt, so maybe I was burned out on excessive gore, but I think I quit a level or two after the Zoo. If nothing else I'm enjoying the opportunity to finally see where this game goes. This has been a fun LP so far.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update - Part 6

Uncensored Interrogations

They ain't so snootchie anymore.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So I guess you could say Frank is good at.... cleaning house.

....I'll see myself to the door.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

No need, I'll show you the window.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Let's be fair: There's a hell of a lot more you can rag on 24 about than torture. Mountain lions, for one.

The fact that 24 helped convince a shitload of people that torture works is pretty bad, though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Why is there a bear trap on the wall

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Why is there a bear trap on the wall

In case of bears, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

That monologue after beating Bushwacker is my absolute favorite one in the game. Really shows you what kind of mindset Frank is in all the time (pissed off).

• Locked thread