Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Horniest Manticore posted:

white guy with a guitar and a weird voice, basic-rear end chord changes, rudimentary lyrics... i don't know, i just don't see it. it's not bad, exactly, but nothing especially noteworthy

hey gently caress u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

No, he's right. Neil Young sucks.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
Neil Young is good for cruising on trips in the country with the windows down with friends

no I'm not being ironic, try it and you might be a little less bitter. haters

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

fyodor posted:

harvest, after the gold rush, rust never sleeps what i miss

like 10 other great albums

On the Beach/Tonight's the Night is peak-era Neil Young imo

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

The Whole Internet posted:

Yeah, they don't like being reminded that some canadian just owned them at their own genre.

I know someone who disagrees with you.

"My own song 'Alabama' richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record. I don't like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue". -Neil Young

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Smiling Mandrill posted:

"My own song 'Alabama' richly deserved the shot Lynyrd Skynyrd gave me with their great record. I don't like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue". -Neil Young

yeah man Ronnie Van Zant and Neil Young ended up being bros so gently caress anyone who tries to make it out like they were in some bitter conflict

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Deja Vu was everyone on its best album.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
i used to be able to play a rudimentary 'like a hurricane' and used it to get puss a few times

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

white guy with a guitar and a weird voice, basic-rear end chord changes, rudimentary lyrics... i don't know, i just don't see it. it's not bad, exactly, but nothing especially noteworthy
:goonsay:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Doesn't stop it from being an absolute killer tune.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Didn't he write harvest at like 24?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

opus111 posted:

Didn't he write harvest at like 24?

yes he bought some old farmer's ranch and told the guy "i get you, man!" lol

old farmer was probably like this farm has been in my family for generations but the bank will foreclose unless i sell to this god damned hippy kid

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011

Otto von Ruthless posted:

like 10 other great albums

On the Beach/Tonight's the Night is peak-era Neil Young imo

At least ten, and weld is tied with priest in the east for best live album ever. Neil Young just owns

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

excellent thread, excellent poster, excellent music, inspiring me to make a similar one soon :wotwot:

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Good thread OP, Neil Young is one of the greats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6vp1EMnqho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHcb7M5ZN8

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

way to be racist.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

Everyone in Alberta hates him because he very publically told the world that Alberta was becoming a wasteland thanks to the tar sands. Which is undeniably true and Albertans know it, but he told the truth very publically so gently caress that guy ARE OIL ARE ARE JUBS! :argh:

If you take away Albertas oil it becomes Saskatchewan... without any oil. Which is the worst thing you can do to a province.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

every two bit bar and coffee shop across America has someone just as good or better than Neil Young. He was lucky anyone gave a drat about him.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BigBoss posted:

every two bit bar and coffee shop across America has someone just as good or better than Neil Young. He was lucky anyone gave a drat about him.

Except none of those fucks can actually write memorable music so gives a poo poo

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I'm missing a lot, but it's a work in progress. Edit: Trans is out of order, how embarrassing.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 19, 2015

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I saw him 5 years ago. He spent 2+ hours playing sped up or punk arrangements of all his greatest hits and it was amazing.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I saw him 5 years ago. He spent 2+ hours playing sped up or punk arrangements of all his greatest hits and it was amazing.

christ that owns

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Caroline!

BAH! BAH! BAH!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

This video just changed my life.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the solo on cinnamon girl is good

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Are you ready for the countreeeeee?! Because it's time to die!

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
Trans is a great album.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
horrible singer. overshadows all other positive aspects of any song he's singing.

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

christ that owns

Does he have any albums where he does that? I listen to a lot of Neil but I'm bad about keeping up with music so idk.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Nutsngum posted:

Except none of those fucks can actually write memorable music so gives a poo poo

Neither does Neal Young so NBD.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
neil young is great

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LTiKJlB62g

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

ElectricSheep posted:

a southern man don't need him around anyhow

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
the rockabilly album he created to break a contract

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Ohio
lyrics by Neil Young

--------

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Potent lyrics, have the times changed?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMvjfBdeiKw

shelter me from the thought that pulls the trigger

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Splatmaster posted:

Ohio
lyrics by Neil Young

--------

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
We're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming,
Four dead in Ohio.

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her
And found her dead on the ground
How can you run when you know?

Potent lyrics, have the times changed?

Nah, there's still tons of good lyrics writers out there. Only difference is that not too many of them get big anymore because easy-to-digest pop music has become the norm. I guess it's fine if people like that stuff, but I feel like they're missing out on some good music.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mirrorball rules because its like if pearl jam was good and not really bad.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
neil young owns I dunno why he decided to invested in some knockoff iPod but w/ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nefarious posted:

neil young owns I dunno why he decided to invested in some knockoff iPod but w/ever

cocainse is a hell of a drug

• Locked thread