Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rauri posted:

"Ahh, Ladies Kosir and Macaster, Lord Anguis. A pleasure. How might I be of service to you?" He inquires, smiling tiredly.

Lady Cordelia - While none to happy about the change of plans, Lord Bern acquiesced to his Lord's daughter's wishes - tomorrow it is then. For now though, the regent. How much of what you have to tell him does he already seem to know? What does Diana say that you wish she hadn't?

Hot +2 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Gardens | Conditions: Codependent, petty,

As soon as we had been admitted into the chambers and had entered, I dipped into a deep curtsy, my expression serious even as I did so - Talia, Diana and Gwendolyn followed me into the same deep courtly curtsy, but Anna did not go quite as far, seeming to nearly lose balance as she attempted it, and choosing to go for an easier position, "Lord Regent, please excuse our intrusion there has bee-." I didn't even have time to speak, before her raised a hand to me, silencing me instantly.

"A murder, yes. I've picked up as much." He seemed almost... bored with being interrupted by it, one of the nobles next to him directing him to look at some papers - it's clear they had been going over quite a lot of paperwork in private, since the meeting ended, and that the Regent wanted to go back to his chambers and rest.

It took a few moments for my words to find me, but I gave a nod to his correct words, "More than a simple murder, m'lord... A Kingsguard - Ser Micael - was found dead in the gardens, his... his throat cut out without seeming to have even had time to fight back against his attacker." I took a deep breath as I recounted the details of the body I'd seen - who could possibly just simply murder someone as trained as the elite Kingsguard, "I see the two whom protect you this eve remain here but..."

I trailed off, and it seemed at least the news of who had died had surprised him, more so how.

Diana started speaking as I trailed off, when I had hoped Lady Kosir might fill in more details, "M'lord, the Prince or Princess could be in danger! And if they could handle one of the Kingsguard, who's to say they wont kill more?" I had to wince at that - questioning the Kingsguard's capabilities in front of two members, multiple lords, and the Lord Regent himself wasn't... exactly the most tactful of things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hot -1 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: Hall of Wisdom | Conditions: none

As I sit there with the young child of a distant branch of my family, the sheer number and variety of books in this hall sinks in. Though my father was an avid reader and taught me to have an appreciation for the written word, I cannot even begin to guess at what half of these tomes are even about. My father... I think of him, inhaling the sweet, heady smell of the ink, and a rush of memories come flooding back to me.

I am leaning over his shoulder, watching as he has me follow along in the book with him. It is his way of getting me to practice my letters. My father always chooses stories that sound interesting to me, so if I fail to follow along with him, stopping the reading is always punishment enough. Today, we are going over a tale about a war between dolphins and whales. The large and violent whales sought to rule over all fish, and they made war upon them. The wise and clever dolphins opposed them with trickery and, when the time was right, ferocity.

I am too young for the lesson to sink in then. All I care about is the promise of epic battles involving dolphins wielding swordfish as weapons and whales acting as siege weapons against dolphin cities. It's such sanitized violence, no mention of horrible, slow deaths, or the stench of corpses, or starvation of the fish peasants. Not at all like what happened when... when the Lansers came.

As soon as that name crosses my mind, the book changes, becomes... more real. The fish have the faces of my family. The whales have the faces of everyone I have met here in court. One, with the visage of Tavros, is coming straight toward my frail dolphin body, coming to swallow me whole, as Cordelia, Talia, Gwendolyn, and Diana drive daggers into my fish family.

I cry out, begging for it to stop.

Suddenly my father's hand reaches across and closes the book, silencing the screams and obscuring the visions.

“Why are you crying, Sylvius?” he says. “Is that story too frightening?”

“Y-yes,” I manage to mutter.

“I understand,” my father tells me. “Conflict can be scary. It is natural.”

“You don't get scared though, right?”

“Of course I do. Even going on a boar hunt, I quake in my boots, thinking that this could be my last fight. True bravery lies in conquering that fear, and I can do so when I remind myself of the people I have to live for. Like you. Think of all the people you have to live for, Sylvius.”

The sting of my salty tears coming into contact with my wound is enough to jolt me back to the present. The pain only makes them flow faster.

Rolling to Gaze into the Abyss
<Krysmbot> Klingon, 8+2 = 10
Marked xp for rolling Dark

Choosing: the visions are lucid and detailed, and the visions cure me, removing the terrified condition

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Hot +2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 1/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: None

"Oof!" Caught by surprise by the collision, I let out a most unladylike grunt as I hit the the ground, knocking the wind out of me along with the visions of my glorious future from my head. My head spins for a moment before I collect myself, climbing to my feet awkwardly, and not at all noticing the small object fall from my dress. The silver and gold brooch I had had made for my prince, but had completely forgotten to give to him what with one thing and another bounced and rolled a short distance away.

"Who do yo- oh! Lady Eitna!" Seeing who I had knocked to the ground, I cut short my remonstration, and lean over to offer her a hand up, as well as an unintentionally good view down my dress, "sorry, I was caught up in thoughts! Are you alright?" Helping her to her feet, I even deign to brush off some of the dirt of the road from her own robes. "How has your day been? I must say, that outfit does look stunning on you, very exotic." I babble on a bit to hide my embarrassment, but with complete sincerity. If my prince has decided it must be, then it must be, and Lady Eitna has come up with the idea he likes, so she can't be bad either, right? Anyway, he loves me, what do I care about the traitorous old hag?

Turn on Eitna,
[00:09] godfish !r 2d6+2
[00:09] Krysmbot godfish, 6+2 = 8

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +2
Exp: 4/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Location: Outside Princess Zyra’s Quarters On the Highway to Sexytown | Conditions: None

After a few interminable seconds of silence as Eris continues to stand far to close to Tavros, she decides she'd rather not wait after all. "The Princess seems to be resting peacefully; surely she would not miss your presence if we were gone for only a few moments…?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +2 | Dark -1
Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Docks - The Green Dragon Inn | Conditions: None

As the sun sets I gather a few of my house guards, my bookkeeper, and my page Percy, and head for the meeting. On the way to the docks, something about the city unsettles me. There are fewer people on the streets than I remember seeing, and a sense of something following behind me, just out of eyesight. More than a few times, I turn my head suddenly, but see nothing. I try not to let it get to me.

The inn is lavishly decorated, which tends to be the case when cunning old merchants wish to speak with hopefully-inexperienced young lords about matters of finance. The dancing girls are a bit over the top, to my mind, but I give in to temptation where the food is concerned. It's real Eastern fair, and it hits me with an unexpected homesickness. Stoneport sits astride the Spice Road and takes it tariffs in the form of goods, which has lent a certain spiciness to the food. The most disappointing thing about coming to the capital was discovering how bland and mild even the prince's banquets were. But the merchants had laid out a Stoneport feast; meat and potatoes wasn't in it. I help myself to a plate of saffron chicken with almond rice and roasted pine nuts and a gingered pear compote, and when the serving girl hands me a cup of tea, I'm pleased to see a cardamom pod floating in it. It's good to be the lord.

I eat my fill as the merchants give a summary of their transactions in the city, the prices of this and that, and how this will effect House Wick's expected cut of their profits. Business is good, apparently. Because I'm not entirely stupid, I have instructed them to have written records prepared, and these are passed to my bookkeeper to go over line-by-line, but I politely listen to them talk. It's nice to be told that we're making money. They make a few circumspect requests of matters to bring before the Prince, or at least someone at court who actually knows about these things -- reduction in tolls on the high road, more city watch patrols around the docks, that sort of thing -- and I promise to see what I can do. From time to time, as they speak, I slap Percy in the back of the head and tell him to stop ogling the dancing girls. Everything seems to be going very well.

My bookkeeper, Adam, taps me on the shoulder and shows me where they've buried the bad news. It's a five line ledger entry, under "monthly expenses: burial costs". My eyebrows shoot up as I read further. I turn to the merchants. "You lost half a caravan? On the King's road? Within a two week's ride from the capital? What kind of attack was it?"

The merchants stir uneasily. "There was no attack. They just... died." They look at one another and explain, tentatively, every word being dragged out of them by more questioning. It was like a curse on the caravan. Drovers disappeared. Guards were found dead at their posts, without a wound. Animals attacked the sentries in brutally horrific ways. One of the merchants died of an apparent wasting disease. "But they brought the cargo to the city," one says hurriedly. "No profit was lost. And there have been no other incidents. We did not want word to spread among the superstitious dockworkers, lest they refuse to handle our goods."

I think about the caravan. A curse? Death walking with them? Something dark coming to the city.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hot +0 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Privy Council'c Chambers | Conditions: admires women, drained

Regent Islav's dog is adorable enough, I suppose, but a bit too small and insistent for my taste. Like all city-dwelling lapdogs, it hungers for attention, but as it is too small and weak to aid with the hunt or protect the castle, it must needs use its prodigious voice to garner affection. It rushes to me as soon as I enter -- I've petted it once before, when I was first introduced to Lord Islav, but I've no clue as to why it is so interested in me tonight. Or -- oh gods, does it smell the blood upon my hands? I washed them clean, but...

I am forced into an impromptu dance to keep it from clambering up my dress or getting caught underfoot. Finally I reach down and pick it up, sitting with it on my lap in a vain attempt to stop it squirming and licking my face whilst Cordelia makes her report. I give it a wry smile and think of my hounds back home -- Taven and Stripe. Hawkhounds, which means they are tall and lean, built for catching the ground-fowl of the uplands. Stripe (as his puerile name might suggest) has been my pet since I was quite young, and made the transition from inn mongrel to castle dog without quarrel. Taven is his daughter, faster but not nearly as wily. When my parents would insist upon my being pried out of my beloved library, I would oftentimes take to the hills and let them go coursing for rabbits and such. Would that I had been able to bring them along! They would like as eat this quivering little morsel whole.

Lord Islav, as usual, seems unsettlingly calm at the untimely death of one of his closest knights. He quirks a single eyebrow when Ser Micael's name is mentioned, but appears otherwise unmoved. I watch his reactions for a time, then brush the dog from my lap and speak up. "I stumbled upon the late Ser Micael in an alcove within the gardens." Blood, dripping from my - no, focus. "In such a place, none would have been able to approach him unawares. That means he saw his attacker coming, but nonetheless gave no struggle, and indeed bared his neck for the knife, as it were." One of the ladies gives a horrified gasp, which I ignore. "So it was someone he knew. And trusted, or at least thought unlikely to be a murderer. A fellow knight, perhaps -- perhaps one who stood to gain from an opening within the Kingsguard?"

Manipulate the regent: 2d6 7 to get the regent to let slip some info on who might have wanted to kill Ser Micael, specifically somebody who might have wanted his position on the Kingsguard.

Marking XP from rolling hot.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 25, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Levi Anguis
Hot +1 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Privy Council's Chambers | Conditions: Unworthy

I bow to the regent as well when I enter the chamber. I am about to speak, but the Macaster starts first, covering most of what I wish to say. I spend the time examining the others in the room, gauging their reactions, and taking in the room itself. Lady Macaster's handmaidens, all varying worried and nervous, whether by the murder or being in the presence of the regent (if I recall correctly, some handled discovering the body better than others). Macaster herself, relatively composed but still obviously affected by what has happened. Anna Lambrick, ever awkward and out-of-place in the Keep. Idren Kosir, composing herself possibly the best of the group and currently the focus of the regent's dog's affections. (I must admit a preference for cats, myself.) The guards, pretending that they are not listening in on our conversation. And Regent Islav...

The regent is certainly a better ruler than his nephew would be. He is also far more dangerous; while Tormas is a blind idiot, his uncle has genuine power, and the skill and discretion to apply it effectively. He's not the most pleasant man either; he comes off as somewhat cold, and not merely in a reserved, formal way. At the moment, he seems to merely be tired, though the death of his brother's guard not waking him up somewhat is unusual. One would imagine that news would get a reaction from him. Perhaps he was preoccupied; he didn't even fully clear the table, and what I can see of the papers on it the council has been busy figuring out how to position their armies, as well as planning some new tax laws. They anticipate a poor reaction to their decree, then?

When the Macaster, her handmaiden, and Lady Idren are finished, I speak up. "Additionally, the state of the body suggests it has been there for some time; flies had begun to gather, and the smell that filled where it was hidden was... Rather unpleasant. It's likely that Ser Micael was killed hours ago, and we don't know who his killer is or what they have done in the meantime. They must have some agenda, to have targeted your brother's most loyal guard inside of the Keep itself. I know this is obvious, my lord, but the guards need to be of the utmost alert, if there is someone daring enough to kill within the walls of the castle." As I say this I run some numbers through my mind; there are usually six Kingsguard on-duty, two each guarding the prince and regent, and one for each of the more stationary Malbrechts, at any given time. With Micael's death, however, there are only seven Kingsguard alive at present; even before you take into account the potential danger, this complicates things immensely for them. Supplementing them with regular guardsmen seems like the best course of action, but if Kosir's theory about the killer also being a guard is correct...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Guard duty, outside Princess' chambers | Conditions: None

My fae-blood is singing, siren-like, and I'm scarce able to deny it what it wants. "I am for you, Lady Eris," I say softly and alluringly, and allow her to lure me off where she may.

Surely no harm will come to the Princess in a few scant moments, right?...

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Hot: -1 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 2
Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: Witch

Looking at Morgan, I was pretty sure he was as annoyed by Keelin's interruption, and then I realized I had called her a her. This was a bad no no, after all a noble lady couldn't go the places she had to go for a Guide. "Well, she is supposed to look like a boy, and as a page, she will be something akin to my assistant for several years." I said carefully tiptoeing around what she was an assistant too. "Normally they act like a page, but for more religious and teaching matters, so she dresses like one. She is a from a noble family herself, and will eventually go on to her own home to administrate. It is a very old tradition. I should not have been so loose lipped; I'll scandalize her. I just feel so... open with you." I said biting my lip, a blush crossing my cheek as I thought of a way to occupy them instead of talking. However, there was only one parting kiss, and though I finally let Morgan part ways.

Keelin, course was outside and barraged me with details, of course, I wouldn't divulge any, as it wouldn't be proper to go into details, and I wasn't exactly sure she wanted to hear what happened. It was a special moment to release it to the wild would cause the moment to vanish like a ghost in the night. The flame would flare upon contact with the open air, I thought. Morgan would be scandalized for going with someone like me. They would use the lies half truths and old rivals and break it up the moment it came to light. I could just see it happened, but I had to make sure that it didn't.

"Listen Keelin, maybe, later. But really, I wou-" I gave a loud painful yip as I hit Rosemonde with my sore stomach and I grabbed my bandages, biting my lip into a little bead of blood cause of my restrained shriek. I licked the bottom of my lip as Rosemonde helped me to my feet, showing off her body through the dress. I half wished that I had done that to Morgan, nor I had her frame or figure. The thought mixed with pain to make me irrationally hate her, but that passed quickly as the soreness went away and only the affection lasted. I didn't know what it meant, but it was all wrong. This was all wrong, this wasn't how storybooks are supposed to go.

"Hi, Yes, La-" I started and stammered inside thinking of how it was wrong want her, and after committing myself to a paramour. I felt a burning and deep loathing for myself without any restraint to my very end of my being. It was a unending pit filled with loathing mixed with the various scandalous thoughts of both of Morgan and now Rosemonde through my mind. It was like a dark searing into my very brain as each moment passed as the thoughts continued to flood into my mind.

"Sorry, I got distracted. I... hurt my hand and it still bothers me slightly." I look to my still bandaged hand, a light blush coming to my cheeks as my thoughts slowed into the current moment. The shock and surprise of the moment had faded as quietly and quickly as a flickering flame in the night. "I-Oh-thank you, Yes, I do love this emerald with gold. It is one of my favorites, though I have to admit my favorite color would have to be purple." I said with a bit of a glow now, and moving my now scuffed up dress back and forth for Rosemonde. I didn't think that would sate her though.

"I- just had a thought. I thought maybe since you might want to be- distracted- during the tournament, I could offer my booth, it is more secluded and you could go there privately with the Prince." I said with a bit of a blush and smile, she had called me akin to a monster, but at least she would be happy with someone. That seemed to fulfill a craving in me, and maybe she would think nicely about me.

"It was just a random thought I had, but it is good to see you well. I understand if you- a don't want to have it." I was a bit curious about the depth of my breath, but I hoped to keep it together for Rosemonde, after all, if I didn't hurry soon, I would miss the ceremony completely. I might be a second part, but it was not like I could abstain from coming!

Giving Rosemonde the only thing that Eitna thinks she want, the prince.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 26, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Scene 3 (Cont)

Grand Keep - Outside Zyra's Chambers
Tavros and Eris - Finding an empty chamber near Zyra's isn't hard - there's a plethora of them, the royal family used to be vastly larger than it is now. Do you take any precautions against being discovered, or have things kinda progressed past that point already?

Grand Keep - Halls of Wisdom
Lord Sylvius - Reflecting on the Whales and Dolphins for the first time in years, you lean back in the chair you're in, your gaze sweeping upward towards the high ceiling. Suspended from the rafters is a complete skeleton of the largest animal you've ever seen, massive bones belonging to what must've been a whale of some sort. You can just picture it having fought in the War, see it munching down fish by the score, barely noticing beyond it's hunger being temporarily satiated. One fish in particular catches your notice... sickly and frail, but oh so delicate and beautiful, like a songbird... it can't keep up with those near it. There's a golden light upon it's head - a halo, or crown? And the massive whale swimming right towards it, seconds away...

Startled enough that you almost fall out of your chair, your relative looks over. Seems like it's her turn to be concerned about you know. "Are you alright?" While you might be, the Princess - who else could that have been? - clearly isn't. Do you leave your relative here and race to her quarters, or stay here and see to it your relative gets reunited with her parents safely?

Grand Keep - Privy Council's Chambers
Lady Cordelia - "Hmm, that is worrisome..." He says - though if it is, he faces betrays no sign of it. "Of course we'll have more guards sent to watch them... Tymon is with the Prince, but with Zyra sick, I'll send her one of mine." As sort of an expert on the rich and prideful, you know by the way he talked about his Kingsguard he's inordinately proud of having two. Does that worry you, or does it humanize him in your eyes? He certainly makes good on his word - with a curt motion, he sends one to check on Princess Zyra. What does she think of you, anyways?

Lady Idren - "As for who might have killed him, I can't imagine he had any enemies. Few could even find his House's holdings on a map, House Konnor isn't exactly a major power." He pauses, and seems to reflect for a moment. "You seem to have a mind for this sort of thing, Lady Kosir. Perhaps you'd like to assist with the investigation? Accompany the City Guard, see what you notice that they would've missed?" Huh? Plan on taking him up on his offer?

He'll tell you more if you agree to assist the City Guard with the investigation.

Prince Levi - "They'll tear this city apart if they have to - The Kingsguard defends the crown; it reflects poorly on my House to not punish those who would dare move against us." There's an eerie look in his eyes as his says this; you're sure he's looking at you in particular. Did you Grandmother warn you about him? What about him reminds you of her, and in what way are they wholly dissimilar?

Hightown
Lady Rosemonde - What's Eitna talking about? You'll be sitting up with Islav, Tormas, and Zyra for your ~Sweet Prince's~ Tourney. Why would you need her House's box? Now that you're getting a good look at her, she's wearing bandages, which she definitely wasn't earlier today. Wonder what happened to her?

Lady Eitna - Do you notice that Rosemonde's dropped something? Do you want to keep talking to her? If so, what pleasant place in Hightown do you move the conversation to? If not, where do you and Keelin go?

Docks - The Green Dragon Inn
Ser Morgan - What do you know of the Supernatural, magic swords aside? Are you interesting in seeing the "cursed" caravan and it's contents for yourself? The merchant representatives could surely tell you where it's being housed at the moment - or do you have more important business to attend to? Whatever your decision, a particularly bold dancing-girl sits in your lap while you ponder it. What about her reminds you of Eitna?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 26, 2015

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: Hall of Wisdom->Princess Zyra's chambers | Conditions: none

“Forgive me, my lady,” I say to my... cousin, I'm pretty sure. “I just realized someone else is in danger. Be brave, and remember who you live for!”

I bolt from my chair immediately, flying to the chambers of the Princess as fast as I can. I will not let those whales consume her.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Regent's Court| Conditions: Codependent, petty,

Cordelia bows her head as the Regent replies to her and her handmaidens, the usual happening - Gwen, Talia, and Diana mimicking it in an instant, while Anna takes a good six seconds to realize she's meant to do so. I can certainly understand it being a mark of pride, being worthy of being guarded by two of the eight - ah, seven, now - finest in the kingdom. Back home I used to love to make the finest of our guards watch my friends and I, not only to feel safe, but to show everyone how easily I could order around tournament winners and the like. True knights, following my commands.

As for the princess, she considers me something of a friend, I suppose. I always tended to visit her for a few hours whenever I'd come before my most recent visit - she was only a little over a year younger than I, and it was easy enough. Besides that fact, my House was one of the closest to the royal family, which meant I was expected to act as friend to her, when few others had the status to do so. As I grew older, however, I realized she would never really be useful for anything besides her status in the royal family, and a part of me was saddened that she could not even fight against her fate. At the very least, I count her as a friend whom I prefer to keep quite well, and this was an obvious problem with that, "Might I and my friends go to her room as well? I realize the evening grows later, but I believe that she would enjoy our presence - as of late I have not seen her as often as I would like. And as her friend, I would like to do whatever I may to keep her safe, should the worst be coming."

I didn't expect her to actually be targeted - she had no value except as a figurehead to keep the nobles feeling sorry for the family. But it would be a good chance to show the Regent how much the Macaster family cares for their lords.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 26, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Exp: 4/5 | Harm: 1/4 | Location: Outside Princess Zyra'’s Quarters On the Highway to Sexytown | Conditions: None

Of course Mother had warned me about the Lansers -- she was always saying that I should never take a Lanser into my confidence, because they were far too honest, and none of them knew the value of a good lie. But then again, hadn't she warned me about anyone and everyone who was not a d'Montaigne? If indeed someone from our House were behind my sisters' murders, then Mother had been incessantly warning me about the wrong people. Mother's advice, then, was cast aside as easily as modesty and caution as I pulled my companion into one of the abandoned rooms down the hall from the Princess. Pausing only to ensure the door was locked, I turned to Ser Tavros, already reaching for the collar of my courtly gown.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Docks - The Green Dragon Inn | Conditions: None

Not for the first time since coming to the capital, I sincerely wish I was back at our castle in Stoneport. Not only was their less political intrigue, but it would be useful to have access to the Tomb of Words again.

Mordant Wick, my house's founder, came from Quon, a city state to the east of the eight kingdoms. He traveled to Madral to join the court of Strassler the mighty, where he became something like a court astrologer and librarian to the sorcerer-king. Mordant was a scholar and a Lemmanite, a particular religion of Quon whose followers believed that the universe was made of words and who revered books and knowledge. Despite openly converting to the Octdeus upon being ennobled, Mordant's faith persisted intermittently throughout our line; my grandmother was the last Lemmanite I know about. One of the beliefs of the Lemma is that it is a sin to destroy words; all words, once written, cannot be unwritten. When a book becomes old and worn to the point of becoming unreadable, it can't be pulped; instead it must be preserved until it decomposes naturally, like a buried corpse. And so, carved into the side of the mountains above Stoneport, there is a library of dead books; every one wrapped in a shroud of white linen and carefully placed inside a stone niche. There are thousands, some of them many hundreds of years old. Much of the knowledge stored within them has passed out of common scholarship. Especially the knowledge in the black-shrouded books, each securely bolted into its creche; the occult texts. The Undead Books.

I was allowed to read one, once, when I was young. The Librum Maltatuech: the book of empty vessels. It was an exhaustively illustrated manual of fantastic creatures. Werewolves and vampires were the least of them. Some of them were pure speculation, i was told, but others were real. The Wicks had, on some occasions, been forced to slay one to protect our people. It was one of the duties that fell upon the wielders of Firelight, whose cleansing flame could kill, if not everything, then a hell of a lot. The entries for monsters we had discovered through hard experience to be real were marked with a white ribbon, or a black ribbon if the beast had killed a Wick. The tome sported a forest of bookmarks.

My musings were cut short by a sudden voice in my ear, "This isn't a time for sad faces, ser!" There was a sudden, soft weight in my lap, a pair of even softer pressures against my chest, and a mass of fiery red curls. I had an impression of pale, freckled skin, green eyes, and giggles. Because of this morning I reacted instinctively, clasping her to me and pressing my face into her neck. She smelled like... rather too much inexpensive perfume, actually. Only then did I realize that this wasn't Eitna, but one of the dancing girls. Her face was too old, her eyes too calculating. I swallowed, and wondered what I'd done to become suddenly irresistible to redheads.

The girl giggled and made appreciative whistling sounds. "Gods, ser, you are happy to see me!" She patted me in the trouser-ly region, to much amusement from my house guards (and the most avaricious leer humanly imaginable from young Percy). It took me a confused moment to remember the six inch stilleto in a concealed sheath strapped to my thigh.

I stood up abruptly, almost dumping her to the floor. "I want to see this caravan!" I demanded. It came out in a hoarse croak.

The warehouse where the goods were kept was near the outer edge of the docks. Bales of dried, pressed herbs stood sandwiched between bolts of fustian, stacked to man-height. There were carts, still-half-loaded, but no horses. It was... a warehouse. My guards stood around it, holding torches and looking unimpressed. I examine it, not sure what I'm looking for.

Gaze into the abyss: 2d6-1 5

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Scene 3 (Cont)

The Docks - Wick Warehouse
Ser Morgan - It doesn't take you long to discover what happened, though you almost wish you'd never asked to come here. Someone's visited here before you, that much is certain - some of the crates are disturbed, and one in particular has been wholly opened, looking almost as if it'd been torn apart. It likewise doesn't take you long to figure out what it contained - you've had armored transported before. Whoever came for the armor certainly was in a hurry as well - they seem to have left behind a spur on accident. It's jet black, and as you pick it up, Fuerschein's glow becomes visible despite it being sheathed, the firey light leaking out the top in a sure display of the demonic evil the box had contained. It seems your merchants were used to transport a great evil into the city - and that evil is now loosed.

How do you intend on confronting this new threat? At least you have some idea of what to look for, and your sword seems able to sense the presence of the armor. Is it time to ask for the help of others, or keep this secret so as to not put them at risk?

Lord Sylvius - Arriving at the Princess's Chamber, you're momentarily stunned that there isn't anyone outside her door protecting her! Luckily, your concern seems to have been noted by the universe - which sent a Kingsguard to answer them. One of the ones that usually follow the Regent around, if you remember correctly.A whale of a man, clad in black plate and the manticore cloak of House Malbrect, and armed with a longsword, the man's sure to be a fearsome fighter - one who's, for whatever reason, looking at you incredibly nervously. 'What are you doing here?" He asks, already reaching for his blade. "Leave at once." He demands.

The Kingsguard will attack you at the end of your action unless you have / find something to defend yourself with or leave the scene.

then*

Lady Eris - Trigger Sex Moves. Ever done that before? While you and Ser Tavros are resting happily for a brief moment, you begin to realize that it sounds like there's some sort of altercation outside. Time to get redressed in a hurry, or is it not your concern? What advice did you give Tavros?

The two of you laying against to each other, his heart beating enough for the both of you... it reminds you when you were still alive. The sounds of his heart reverberate through you, and you close your eyes to enjoy them more intensely. As you do, images of the hallway you just seduced each other in spring forth in your mind, changing slowly, like a storybook, with every heartbeat. You see Sylvius, under attack by one of the Kingsguard, right outside her door! With the next breath you see them struggling, the knight winning. The next, Cordelia and her friends, too far away but running towards the battle. The next, and final page, Sylvius with a blade sticking out of him, the door to the Princess's room open ominously...

<TychoBrahesNose> Rauri: Since neither of us have any Conditions, I’m going to take “visions are lucid”, “visions show what your friend must do; they carry 1 forward”, and I’ll also take a String on Tavros.

Ser Tavros - Trigger Sex Move. What promise do you ask Eris to make you? Regardless, it sounds like your guard duty wasn't to be quite as uneventful as you might've hoped. The Princess definitely has visitors of some sort, and you can hear raised voices. If you want to intervene you have time to either grab your sword or get redressed - which is more important?

Eris's advice grants you 1 Forward on Protecting the Princess

Lady Cordelia - Turning the corner towards the Princess's chambers in the midst of the telling of what was shaping up to be an amusing if raunchy joke of Talia's, you notice that the Kingsguard the regent sent up to guard the Princess seems to be conversing - angrily - with someone else. Is that... yes, it looks like Sylvius? Why is he here? What do you do?

*If Slyvius listens to the Kingsguard and just flat out leaves, will be changing these prompts around. Please allow him to post first.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 27, 2015

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: Princess Zyra's chambers | Conditions: none

“Are you here to harm the Princess?” I ask as I cast my eyes around for something with which to defend myself. “What kind of vile man would hurt an innocent young girl? If you are not one of the killers, sheath your sword and allow me to help. Otherwise, I must oppose you.”

Using the vases, torches, and other sundry objects around us, perhaps I can distract the knight long enough to grab one of the decorative crossed swords and shields from the wall. Just in case he does not heed my words, I begin inching toward them.

Rolling to manipulate an NPC
<<Krysmbot> Klingon, 7-1 = 6
Goodbye, cruel world.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: The Docks - Warehouse | Conditions: None

I stare at the black spur, then down at the dim red glow coming from Fuerschein. I haven't seen this strong a reaction since that day with the Warg. Right. I make a snap decision.

"You." I point at the head merchant. "Gather all the information you can on this particular shipment." I tap the broken crate with my sheathed sword, to make the point, and I see him flinch away. "Who sent it, who it was to be delivered to, who paid. Bring it to me tonight, if possible." I consider underlining my order with a threat to terminate our contract with his house, but the presence of a sword on the cusp of bursting into flame seems to have focused his faculties admirably.

I carefully wrap the black spur in a handkerchief and gather my guards. "We ride to the palace, to warn the regent and the kingsguard. The royal family may be in danger."

I leave it to the MC as to who it will be more convenient for Ser Morgan to encounter at this point.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Exp: 4/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: Outside Princess Zyra’s Quarters | Conditions: None

Eris spends a few moments doing nothing but feeling Tavros next to her. She is reminded, with a stab of grief, of Geoffray, the poor boy that she had been intimate with previously, and who was driven insane by the knowledge of her secret. That seems like a lifetime and more ago, and Eris attempts to put him out of her mind, even as she blinks back tears. But she swears to herself that she will not let that same fate befall Tavros — tender Tavros, full of vitality and…

If she still had breath, it would catch in her throat. Her Vision was abrupt, and all to clear. Sylvius — and more importantly, the Princess, are in danger! She hears the voices in the hall and at first thinks they are part of her mystical revelation as well. But after a moment she realizes with growing horror that the voices are not within her mind — her Prophetic Sight is being fulfilled even now!

She springs to her feet. “Hurry, Ser Tavros! The Princess is in danger!”, she whispers urgently. Taking up his sword, she offers it to him. “There is no time to explain fully, but I…I have the gift of foresight regarding the Royal Line! Princess Zyra is in desperate need, for there is a false Kingsguard just outside her chamber, who even now threatens Lord Sylvius!”

Grasping her gown to her, she begins to withdraw to the darker recesses of the chamber, adding, “Beyond our Prophetic Sight, my family possess other magical talents…illusions and such. I will do what I can to help save the Princess; just remember my family’s Words: Authority Over Death, and do not be afraid of what you might see! Now go!”

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Guard duty, outside Princess' chambers | Conditions: None

It's nice, being here like this, next to someone, comfortable. I even got Eris to promise to help me when I asked, since I was going to help her, too -- perhaps something of real worth will come from this partnership?

But there's no time to dwell upon it -- I hear voices from without, and were that not motivation enough, Lady Eris speaks of visions. I'm reminded of my own, and a sickness settles in the pit of my stomach. What ill have I allowed to befall the Princess? Who would dare to wish the poor girl harm?!

I accept the proffered sword, but it seems there's scarce time to preserve my modesty. I'm scarcely bothered by it -- duty is my armour, and the only thing I've to be ashamed of is allowing myself to be lured from my post. I take hurried steps down the hall, whereupon I'm greeted by a fellow Kingsguard -- I don't recognize him from the back -- with blade leveled at ... Lord Sylvius?!

A ringing echoes down the hall as I draw my own steel, urging every ounce of commanding I've got into my tone. "Kingsguard! Prithee stay your sword, I beg!" I'm not entirely sure whether my nudity makes the command more or less convincing. But it's likely one of the two.

Manipulate Mr. Kingsguard: 2d6+2 8

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Outside Princess' Room| Conditions: Codependent, petty,

Taking a more... gingerly pace through the halls as we went, we were not even attempting to keep pace with the Kingsguard. Instead it took my friends and I a good few minutes before we arrived. I was expecting a quiet meeting and passing a pair of kingsguard as I entered, and then a night of talking about the Court to Zyra, while she tried to pry at what I got her for her nameday.

I did not expect to turn down the hall just in time to see my friend Tavros rushing forward, naked, drawing his blade - his steel blade - and shouting to not stab someone else. I pulled my eyes from the idiocy in front of me, to see who exactly was being threatened, only to catch Lord Lothier once more, I had ran into him far too many times today it seemed - even when we split apart, we met back together. Of course, my chance to watch peacefully was cut short, as in only a few seconds, the kingsguard's blade thrust powerfully through Lord Lothier, bodily fluid flying in every direction as it happened. Well, perhaps not every direction.

I put a hand over Anna's mouth as she began to scream - eyes finally torn away from Lord Lanser's buttocks as the stabbing happened, and withheld my own urge to do so. Instead my mouth opened in annoyance, What in Danu's blazes is going on here?" - I had no idea what was happening, and the entire situation was... confusing, to say the least.

Holding Steady because stabbings and naked men
<KittyEmpress> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> KittyEmpress, 7+1 = 8
Marking some cold hard xp

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 27, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Exp: 2/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: None

At first, I'm a bit puzzled by Lady Eitna's offer, the Prince has a box of his own, with the best view of the tournament out of anyone's! So why would we need he...r... ooooh. My confused expression changes into a smile and I clasp her hands tightly with mine, now beaming at her. "Oh, thank you! What a wonderful idea!"

But... "Won't you be wanting to use it though? I mean, ignoring the tournament for a minute, won't you want to be secluded with your man?" I tilt my head towards Keelin, smirking slightly, the two of them always seemed very close from what I'd seen in court, after all. I give her a teasing nudge in the side completely failing to notice her wounds. Isn't this great, we're already such good friends!

Accidentally lashing out physically at Eitna's wound.
[02:16] godfish !r 2d6-1
[02:16] Krysmbot godfish, 8-1 = 7
Eitna can deal one harm to Rosemonde for free if she wants. Marking experience for rolling Vol

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Levi Anguis
Hot +1 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Privy Council's Chambers | Conditions: Unworthy

The regent's look at me is... Strange. Does he suspect me and my family, either here or just in general? That would be unfortunate, and somewhat unfounded; despite my family's reputation, we have never overtly acted against the crown and in fact were some of their closest allies when we still had our kingdom. After all, being close to the crown allowed for greater influence over it, and all of Madral; that's a major reason why my ancestors swore fealty to Strassler so easily. Independent, we controlled our own kingdom. Through the crown, we could influence and direct all eight. And that, of course, required a healthy, powerful crown; weakening it, outside of certain circumstances, wouldn't have served our interests.

From his words here, I realize that Islav is not entirely different from his nephew; both of them clearly delight in being in power, and having power over others. The regent is just cleverer and more subtle about how he flexes his power.

In a way, he also reminds me of my grandmother; like her, while not the official person in power, he was the one in control. He's also very aware that he's in control, for lack of a better way to put it; it's something that's hard to describe, but clear when you see it.

However, how they handle this is very different. My grandmother, that she is in charge is unstated fact; she does not flex her power or make shows of "reminding" people of it because she does not need to. She also does not make such a show of false niceties and benevolence; the few times I've seen her interact with nobles from other families were highly amusing.

Islav, on the other hand, enjoys making displays of his power, like with his stunt with the Kingsguard for Zyra there. As I said earlier, he shares that with his nephew, though there's also an element of insecurity to it, I think. He's aware that he's not actually the king, and how close Tormas is to becoming king instead, and likely of how unstable his family's hold on the crown at all is. And his attempts at seeming more friendly and kind than he truly is; they may work from a distance, but up close it's plain how hollow they are. It's like admiring a pretty object and reaching out to touch it, only to recoil in disgust as it leaves a sheet of slime on your hand. He's definitely not the man he pretends to be.

All that aside, he's still preferable to his nephew.

When he finishes talking and the others begin to leave, I stand up. "Excuse me, my lord, but there is something important I wish to discuss with you, before I leave. May I have a few moments?" There's something important I wish to ask him, regarding earlier events. Joining Lady Macaster to speak with him was rather convenient; it saved me the trouble of having to find him personally and make up an excuse to speak to him some other time.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hot +0 | Cold +1 | Volatile -1 | Dark +1
Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Privy Council's Chambers | Conditions: admires women, drained

Assisting... yes, it could prove quite useful for me to have such a connection. I stand, dropping a curtsey. "Certainly I would be honored to put what meager skill I possess at the City Guard's disposal. Anyone would do the same, to see such a depraved killer behind bars." More to the point, hopefully this will put the Guard -- or even the regent himself -- in my debt. And if I should discover the name of the killer first, well, I would obviously see justice done at the earliest opportunity. But who knows what might find its way into my pockets before such an opportunity arises?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Grand Keep - Outside Princess Zyra's chambers
Lord Sylvius - The Kingsgaurd doesn't seem terribly convinced that you're not an assassin. Compounding your woes, he's also got a pretty sharp sword and he just impaled you with it.

Take two harm from being impaled by a sword. He kicks you off the sword, sending you collapsing back against the wall.

Still, you've managed to stall for time - he's not made it into the Princess's Chambers yet. A wholly naked Ser Tavros - oh my - and Lady Cordelia and her followers are also on hand. You're close enough to reach the ceremonial sword without trouble, but your physical form is badly wounded. What do you do?

Ser Tavros - The Kingsguard seemed to be so taken aback by your nakedness that he didn't think to finish off Slyvius. "He was sneaking in to kill the Princess! Help me apprehend him!" Who do you put your faith in - Slyvius Lothier, or your sworn brother? Which brother of the Kingsguard is it, anyways?

He'll stop attacking Lord Slyvius if you (try to) apprehend him. Otherwise, it's a safe bet he's going to keep up his attack on Slyvius / anyone that directly interferes.

Lady Cordelia - The Kingsguard doesn't answer you, seemingly focused on Sylvius and (quite a bit more) on Ser Tavros. Enjoying the view, or averting your eyes? Regardless, is there anything you can do now that swords are out? The door to the Princess's chamber is on the other side of the combatants, the door closed. If someone's in there with her, the melee really would be the perfect cover... You're not helpless, are you?

Lady Eris - You've probably managed to get redressed at least, if that was your priority. It sounds like whatever's going on is quite serious. If you go out the door, people will probably be able to put two and two together about a naked Ser Tavros and yourself having been in the same chambers. Sticking around in spare bedchamber, leaving through the door, or finding a third option?

Grand Keep - Council Chambers
Lord Levi - The Regent looks fairly amused at your request. For a second it looks like he's going to say no, but instead he shoos nearly everyone else out of the room - excepting his Kingsguard. Folding his hands on the table between you, Islav raises an eyebrow and asks "Something important? Whatever could it be?" What makes you think he already knows what you want to talk to him about? Are you worried about being alone with him like this?

Grand Keep - Halls
Lady Idren - Leaving the regent (and his overly affectionate dog) behind you with a new task - granted in the name of the King, no less - in tow. Do you have a plan for discerning the truth? Are there any from the Prince's Court you feel you could count on for help?

Speaking of the Prince's Courtiers, it looks like one of them's rather pleased to have stumbled across you in the corridors. Vidar Albendroth - the third son of that Great House - is booming through the corridors, each heavy footstep practically shaking the Keep. Spotting you with a grin, Vidar glances at your rear for a second as if he's tempted to smack it, but manages to hold himself in.

"So lass, you need a champion for the Princess's Nameday? I'll win, and yah seem smart - and fair." Offering you his giant hand as if for a dance, he adds, "I like fierce women and nice backsides, so I figured I'd ask yah for your favor first." The man laughs a bit, but doesn't seem to be the least bit ashamed discussing your anatomy so openly. Do you find his behavior repulsive, or charming? With Fagin, that makes two suitors. Lucky you... do you favor one of then?

Hightown
Lady Rosemonde - Oh dear! Lady Eitna seems to have passed out! Her man, who's actually a she you've found out, tries to rouse her, a guard from her house seeing the commotion and sprinting over. Whatever could be the matter with her? Are you going to help her, or leave?

Lady Eitna - You soon realize you're not alone in that seemingly abandoned building. Lurking at the very edge of the firelight, you see a gleam of metal for a glimmer of a second. The light shifts, and when the torchlight brightens they're nowhere to be found. You hear breathing behind you, and spin around to face whatever it is. A mailed gauntlet catches your wrist, it's grip fire and ice. It's possessor lears at you, a demon posing as a man and clad in horrible batlike armor. You start to speak to Danu, but a vicious blow from his pommel silences you.

"I'd hoped Morgan would be here to watch." He says regretfully, glancing down at you while you spit up a few shattered teeth. "Ah well." With that, he slashes with his sword, and suddenly you don't feel a thing, you're no-

Huh?! What was that? Were you asleep? Lady Rosemonde and Keelin are here, so it probably isn't Danu's realm, you must still be alive... but you're clearly in danger. How do you respond?

+1 Forward to warning Ser Morgan or protecting yourself against the Black Knight.

Streets of the Capital - Bertram's Courtyard
Ser Morgan - Riding towards the castle with your guardsmen, you're halfway to Hightown when you come across an eerie sight. The courtyard afore you, a normally crowded junction, is wholly deserted - aside from a single body swaying in the wind, hanging from a statue of King Bertram. Before you can investigate who was so foully executed, a stone flies towards you, deflected just in time by your shield. The image of the black-spur and Fuerschein's glow spring to mind immediately.

On either side of you and your men there's a group of ruffians, you'd estimated you're outnumbered four to one. Further complicating things, it looks like one of them has a hostage. Is that... Karin Anguis? What's your friend's little sister doing here?! Alerting the royal family will have to wait. What's your plan here? What order do you give your guards? What do you do?

Rauri fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 28, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Exp: 0/5 | Harm 2/4 | Location: Outside Princess Zyra’s Quarters | Conditions: None

“You think to bring death to the Princess, assassin?” a horrifying cadaverous form hisses as it approaches the melee. “I am Death, and I have come for thee, for by the ancient magics of the Royal House, all who seek to claim the life of a Malbrecht shall forfeit their own!” Stalking forward, it reaches out with implacable bony hands to choke the life out of the (hopefully terrified) assassin.

Rolling Volatile: Undead fisticuffs!: 2d6-1 7. I do 1 Harm to the assassin; he inflicts 1 Harm on me in return.

Also, marking fifth XP! Gaining Short Rest for the Wicked Phylactery!

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 28, 2015

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 3/4 | Location: Princess Zyra's chambers | Conditions: none

“Ser Tavros,” I exclaim, my jaw dropping... in surprise. Then further, in pain. The wound is deep, and the pain is real. I have not felt it so strongly since my death. And now this cruel, false knight is trying to do the same thing to this family that he did to mine! “I came here to protect the princess from this traitor! Please believe me!”

Despite the incredible pain I'm in, I manage to seize a sword and shield from the wall, preparing to defend myself and the princess from the depredations of this evil man. He and his backers are the source of all the world's ills, and even if it may mean my death, even if it may mean taking a life, I must stop them.

Beyond that... why was I the one who had to be here first to stop this? Should not a member of the true Kingsguard been here? A member like Ser Tavros!? He has failed in his duty, just as the guards of my family failed in theirs. I do not want to hurt him, but he is just as much at fault.

Rolling Unresolved Trauma
<<Krysmbot> Klingon, 8+2 = 10
Giving Tavros and the false Kingsguard the blamed condition

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Exp: 5/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: Witch

"It is the least I could do, and really I won't have a need, I would say." I said before the outburst shook me to the core. This was harsh, I was late, and now Rosemonde was on me! How did she know I was with Morgan! I had to think fast to get out of this, before it became a ordeal and get out of here before this got worst!

A bit of fear and shock caused me to look toward Keelin, and not notice what was coming next. "What are you talking about? She is just my pag-" Oof, and then I see stars again her hand pressing the broach I had picked up from the ground from when I fell into my dress. Forcing it into my wound and causing blood to unceremoniously start to splatter out and fall on the ground as it dug into my side. "D’anam ‘on diabhal!" I shriek as the pin is pushed deep into my side and I start to get dizzy from it. My leg collapses from under me again, as my head goes dizzy from the sheer pain. I start to cough as I half sit down again, and roll on my side, the cobblestone under me start to trickle with blood.

Keelin rushes over and feels my head, my slight breathing and eyes rolling back in my head. Keelin taking the broach from my hands and putting it somewhere, I didn't remember anymore, or what happened with it. Instead I was in the darkness, the edge of perception, as I felt a guard with crimson colors come over to me. I felt my head rocked as things seemed to move, I wasn't sure where I was going and that seemed just fine for me.

--------

I stood up, and I didn't feel anything anymore, I was in a long dark winding corridor with a baby crying in the background. The darkness seemed to close in on all sides as everything seemed to make try to close in on me. The walls themselves seemed to be covered in moss and mildew giving a old and abandoned feel. Light peered through a open door way in front of me, while a torch appeared to be burning maddeningly into the night trying to stop the enclosing darkness. I looked down and saw that I was covered in blood and didn't know where I was going. It was cold in that corridor.

Trying to move seemed to be different, like learning to walk again, My legs seemed to be chained to the floor and they made a horrible clanking sound as I moved...

Not giving damage back after she just was beat up like 20 minutes ago!
Rolling to Gaze into the Abyss about the greatest danger to Eitna
<Axe-man> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Axe-man, 10+2 = 12
the visions are lucid and detailed
the visions show you what you must do, and you carry 1 forward to doing it;

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: None

She? What!? I turn to stare at Keelin, and suddenly I can see it, the shape of the face, a curve in the body where a man shouldn't, or a lack where there should be. But why was she dressing up as a man the- Eitna's scream jolts me away from that line of thought and I glance around the street in concern for whatever had frightened Lady Eitna so, before looking back at Eitna, now bleeding on the ground, and let out a scream of my own. "Ahhh! Wh-what!? But..." I take a few steps backwards, looking around helplessly in confusion at Keelin, "I just... nudged her?" Looking back down at the pool of blood flowing out onto the ground, my vision blurs, and I crumble to the ground myself, the world going black.

Gazing into the Abyss about.... my prince? probably.
[21:53] godfish !r 2d6+1
[21:53] Krysmbot godfish, 5+1 = 6

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Outside Princess' Room| Conditions: Codependent, petty,

The stabbings, the shouts, the bare rear end of one of my best friends, I could handle all of these with ease. A seemingly undead, rotten being walking out of a room - the same one Tavros had come from(?) - was far beyond what I was ready for. I didn't manage to hold it in this time as I screamed loudly, "A monster!! - my friends joined in with their loud screeching as all of us freaked out - spinning on my toes as I screamed it, and started to run off.

Vol to run away..
<KittyEmpress> !roll 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> KittyEmpress, 4-1 = 3
Marking XP...
Advancing, grabbing And Your Enemies Closer

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 28, 2015

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: Witch

My eyes shot open to Keelin looking over me annoyed but also grateful that I was there. "You know you did it again." She said once she saw I was no longer passed out from pain a stream of blood down my dress ruining it. It might come out in the wash, but it was doubtful and it was my favorite one. I didn't know how much time had passed, but enough for me to be bandaged by Keelin and for her to get angry with me. That was something I didn't need, I had a bad headache like the knight had just punched me in the face. I didn't need to imagine being struck by some amoral fool, I had just had that happen.

"Keelin, really, I am-" She cut me off, "D’anam ‘on diucs, Seeker you listen here, you are being a complete, first the tent and then you mistaking when talking with other people." She jabbed me in the one shoulder that felt good and that is when I got pissed off. "Listen, Keelin, you've badgered me constantly since I met you, and don't even call me by the first name. I wanted to be your friend and I wanted to go off with you and explore this town, but instead we know where you go." I glared, "I've not had the best of days, and I need some support here, not to be berated by my friends. WELL, since being your friend didn't work, I am commanding you to stop talking Keelin. Go find the guard and tell them to find Sire Morgan- wait, get them to come here with a healer." I said angrily holding my side, in throbbing pain knowing that I was hurting Keelin, but not caring.

It just hurt so bad. Now, Morgan was in trouble. As Keelin ran off silently for once, I used a few from the crowd that was starting to gather to get both of us to a stone bench and a few pillows for Rosemonde's delicate frame and my own hastily bandaged side. Keelin had a point, but at least, I knew what I had to do. I was going to find out where Morgan was, and make sure my Champion knew what I saw. It was too clear to be anything but a sigh from Danu.

Roll to Shut down Keelin
<Axe-man> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Axe-man, 7+1 = 8
Giving Keelin "Just the Help" Condition

Spending my 5 xp on getting a new spell which will be reviewed by Rauri :ohdear:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 28, 2015

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: outside the Princess' chambers | Conditions: Blamed

"Apprehend? You've right skewered him, ser!"

I can hardly see Sylvius as any sort of assassin, and thus I hold my blade steady. Now that I'm closer, I can see the Kingsguard far better. Ser Ebrams of House Markered -- a vassal of Pernel's, I think -- and it does not make me feel better. Another glory-hound, a man known to leap before looking, which has led to my butting heads with him on more than one occasion ... and I assume how he wound up with Sylvius impaled upon his blade.

"And by what right?!" I shift into a defensive stance. Had Lady Eris not said this man was a false Guard? Why do I know him, then? I can't rightly side with either party until I know what is happening, or whether the Princess is safe, but I'd expect one of my brethren to not act so rashly. What is going on? Why is this --?

“You think to bring death to the Princess, assassin?”

Why is there a gods-cursed tormented dead stalking the halls?!

Hold Steady re: A FRICKIN SKELETON: 2d6-1 8
Keeping his cool; marking XP for rolling Cold

I falter; my knees grow weak, and my sweat-slicked hands slip on the hilt of my blade. In the back of my mind I hear Eris' whisper from moments ago, her speech of illusions and authority over death... It's only just enough to stay my terror. I'll accept the distraction, she -- it -- that thing is likely more use than I am, for sheer presence alone. I'll focus myself on Lord Sylvius, instead. The man's blood runs freely from his wound, and while he's armed himself he's hardly in any condition to stand at his own defense, let alone another's.

(Lady Macaster is here too? I hear her screaming...)

I boldly rush past the skeleton and guardsman to stand at Sylvius' defense with the bleeding man at my back, keeping my sword up to block any strike that may come his way. "Lord Sylvius!" I call to him. "Get out of here!"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Scene 3 (cont.)

Grand Keep - Outside Princess Zyra's chambers
Lord Sylvius - Do you try and assist Ser Tavros, or check on the Princess instead? Also, there's a skeleton here. Thoughts on that?

Ser Tavros - Ser Ebrams lashes out at you, yet you manage to parry his strike. Between you and the skeleton, he's on the defensive - but he seems to be focusing on you, the naked guy, as opposed to the spooky skeleton. What do you do?

He'll stop attacking Lord Slyvius if you (try to) apprehend him. Otherwise, it's a safe bet he's going to keep up his attack on Slyvius / anyone that directly interferes.

Lady Eris - Take 1 dmg. The man seems downright terrified of you, but is still a knight of the Kingsguard - he's attacking Ser Tavros in order to try and get further away from you while eliminating a threat. This does mean his back's somewhat exposed... Do you check on the Princess, or assist your new lover?

Grand Keep - ????
Lady Cordelia - Good news, you're far away from the skeleton by now. Breathing heavily, it's rather unfortunate your clothes weren't exactly designed for sprinting away from horrors in mortal terror. Bad news, you have no idea where you've ended up. It was down a flight of stairs, and you probably turned left when you should've gone right back there... Worse news, you have no idea where your gang is. Group coordination broke down some, so they've left you all alone, by yourself, in what looks almost like a mausoleum of some sort. There's a strange glow emanating from a distant hallway, barely visible, vaguely purple. Lanterns aren't typically purple. Do you try and retrace your steps, or brave the cavernous halls to investigate the strange light?

Hightown
Lady Rosemonde - After a brief blackout, you find yourself recuperating on a bench adorned with a few cloth pillows, Lady Eitna looming peering down helpfully at you. What do you blurt out in your confusion while you're regaining consciousness? Are you feeling alright, or do you need something to help you recover?

Lady Eitna - Keelin looks at you in shock, but does as you bid. "Certainly, Seeker." Gain condition: Hurtful. She heads off to instruct your Houses's guards to seek out Ser Morgan.

While you await Rosemonde reawakening, what do you notice about her that you'd never observed before? What do you say when she reawakens?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 3/4 | Location: Princess Zyra's chambers | Conditions: none

“Forgive me, Ser Tavros,” I declare through grit teeth and a blood-dripping mouth, “but I can't leave the Princess's defense to you alone. You are a noble and valiant man, but it's your fault this assassin has gotten as far as he has!”

I then charge Ser Ebrams, roaring “While the Iron is Hot!”, just like my father taught me. My sword is pointed straight toward his heart. Lord Calidon himself seems to be on my side, as he has appeared out of nowhere and declared Ebrams to be an assassin! I don't think he's ever done that before, but my heart swells with righteous pride and fury nonetheless, pushing out any thought of pain.

I hope the other gods and my family will forgive me for what I am about to do, and if it prevents another tragedy from occurring, maybe they will.

Using Vengeful to Lash Out using Dark at Ebrams
<<Krysmbot> Klingon, 12+2 = 14
I choose to make the Harm great (+1), on top of the +1 from Vengeful and the 2 base from the sword. Take four Vengeance damage!

Edit, since that kills him:
My blade plunges into the cur's heart as I scream "Never again!" The vile whale of a man slumps onto the ground, and I can do naught but stare as the light leaves his eyes. This is the first time I have killed a man, and I do not know what to think or feel about it. I turn to Tavros, hoping to find some answer on his handsome face.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 28, 2015

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Exp: 0/5 | Harm 2/4 | Location: Outside Princess Zyra’s Quarters | Conditions: None

She could strike again, while the assassin has his back turned. But with the sudden sinking feeling that Ser Ebrams may not be the only assassin, Eris leaves the treasonous knight to the capable swords of Ser Tavros and Lord Sylvius, and moves swiftly to open the door to the Princess's quarters. If the room is dark, so much the better (since Eris can see clearly regardless), but if there are any lamps or tapers lit, Eris stays as far from them as possible so as not to unduly alarm the Princess as she proceeds into the chambers.

"Your Highness? Are you safe? Stay where you are, there is no reason to fear. Your guards are dealing with an intruder; I have been summoned to ensure that you remain unharmed."

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 28, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Exp: 0/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Grand Keep - ???| Conditions: Codependent, petty,

It was awhile before I stopped even screaming, alerting every guard in the path - and outside of it with how the halls echoed - of a monster attacking the princess. I didn't even realize I lost track of my friends until I was already alone. In a strange hall I'd never been to before. Where a glow came from.

I gulped, I don't know if it was audible or not, but everything was silent to me, as I stared at the unnatural looking glow. If something was happening, something magical was happening, then I needed to know what it was. A Macaster never lets a chance to gain information slip out of their hands. I steeled myself as I took the first step, the silence suddenly broken as I began to hear the world around me again. I tried to keep as quiet as I could - I was rather skilled at it, honestly, sneaking around my manor home and observing the court necessitated as much. And so, I slowly approached the purple glow.

Hold Steady: 2d6+1: 8 [2d6=5, 2]

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 28, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Rosemonde Pernel
Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: None

For a moment, as my consciousness starts to trickle back but before I'm truly awake, I see my prince's face hovering over me, his shapely naked body pressed against mine, as he was just a few hours earlier. Then things start trickling back, my eyelids flutter open a few times as the vision fades, and muttering softly, I let slip the same words I had when things faded the last time. "...my prince... already?"

Then shaking my head, I sit up, looking around. Oh gosh, did I say that out loud? Only Lady Eitna was close enough to hear, hopefully missed it... It wasn't like I meant it either, I'd heard girls back home say stress could do that, and my prince does have such a weight on his shoulders, it was no wonder... I know he'll try harder next time... Anyway! I should think about now, not then. "Are you alright Lady Eitna?" She's gotten up again, so the bleeding must be better? "What happened?"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Exp: 4/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: outside the Princess' chambers | Conditions: Blamed

My muscles strain to parry the force of the larger man's blow. This is madness! There's no reason he should be attacking me. Why won't he see reason? Why won't anyone just listen to me, for the love of --

For a brief moment, everything slows. Time flows thick like the blood 'pon Sylvius' lips as this plays out before me.

Lord Sylvius, misguided but beautifully valiant, leaping to the front with his forefathers' warcry. Ser Ebrams' eyes growing wide, struggling to bring his blade up to deflect, let down by his own reflexes. A horrible, soft sound as steel pierces flesh --

No word escapes my lips in time; no difference would the thing have made. He is dead. Ser Ebrams is dead.

Ser Ebrams is dead and Lord Sylvius killed him! Gods! Just like that! I stare at the pair of men -- one a former man -- stupidly, my eyes as empty as my thoughts. Why'd he kill him? Why was he going to kill Sylvius? What is even -- I don't -- why?!

I force myself to remain breathing. Stay standing. My blade leveled at Sylvius now -- I don't think he's a threat, but he killed him and I don't understand anything.

"He was a Kingsguard," I choke. "You killed a kingsguard." Everything feels and sounds like sludge, but for the clear ringing in my ears. "They've hanged people for less, Lord Sylvius..."

Am I accusing him of something? I don't know? Why did anybody have to die?

Shut Down Sylvius: 2d6-1 3
This is not a good roll.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Exp: 3/5 | Harm 0/4 | Location: Deserted Courtyard | Conditions: None

What the hells is going on today? I wonder dreamily, as I turn to face the rabble. The swinging dead man catches my eye. Has the world gone mad?

"Alain on my left," I order. "Bert, on my right. Simon, take up the rear. Percy, load a crossbow and aim it at whichever gives you the best shot. We raise shields, form a wedge, and punch through to the lady, on my order. Whatever you do, push forward."

I urge my horse into a trot, pushing forward relentlessly. The closer I can get to Karin before violence breaks out, the better. The biggest of the ruffians is standing next to karin and holding a knife, so i assume that's their leader. Addressing him, I say, "We seem to outnumber you," I say offhandedly. They sneer, so I explain, approaching ever closer. "We are ahorse, while you are afoot. We have arms and armor, while you have cobblestones and... does that man have a pitchfork? A pitchfork. My my." I shake my head, feigning the natural arrogance they expect from nobility; inside my shirt, I'm sweating ice cold rivulets of fear. "My men are trained man-at-arms from the far east, while your men are, bluntly, scum. And this sword," I say, drawing Fuerschein. It blazes in the night-time street like a splinter of daylight, "can kill anything. Anything."

Having finally approached to within the span of a single charge while the sword has them mesmerized, I point it like an accusing finger at the one next to Karin. "Give me the lady, and you live. Run now, and you live. Anything else is death."

Manipulate an NPC: 2d6+1 9 Marking xp.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Exp: 2/5 | Harm 3/4 | Location: Princess Zyra's chambers | Conditions: none

“That's right!” I shout at Tavros, praying that the avatar of Calidon, or whatever that skeleton is, will support me. “And if it meant justice for me, for my family, I would kill all the Kingsguard! Even... even...”

I take a few shaky steps back. I stare at the bloody sword I used to murder the man below me. I snarl at my tears and reach for the black rose hidden in my jacket, wrapping my fingers around its thorns. I no longer even know what to pray for. I can only weep and whimper like a pathetic child.

“He tried to kill the Princess. He tried to kill me. Please, have mercy on me.”

Rolling to hold steady
<<Krysmbot> Klingon, 3+1 = 4
...Marking xp for Cold, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Exp: 1/5 | Harm 1/4 | Location: Hightown | Conditions: Witch, Hurtful

Looking down at Rosemonde, I realized that for the most part she seemed just a normal person. It was hard to see as the political machinations were moving around her so fast and it was a flurry, everyone had an agenda, cards to play, but as Rosemonde was passed out, it seemed to me that she of all of us at that council could sleep the deepest. Worry the least of the whirl wind around all of us, though I suppose that not everyone had their own cards to play, it certainly seemed like the families were slowly trying to kill each other. I patiently waited for Rosemonde to wake up before, saying quietly, "Good to see you awake again Lady."

The prince whisper was exactly what I expected to hear really, coming from Rosemonde, and I believed that most everyone else knew it. I held out my hand to help her help herself up to a sitting position. "Sorry for the display, On the ground something caught on my dress and when you hit me, it pushed it enough to damage my wound." I said motioning to the discrete bandage on the side of my chest, "It is better now, it just hurt dreadful, I am sorry, I fear I completely ruined our happenstance together, Lady Rosemonde." I said with a sweet smile.

• Locked thread