Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If we nuke the entire region they all get their 70 virgins and we can build a mega-Disneyland in like 50 years.

Win/Win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks for all the support thus far on this position. If any of you are high-profile posters on other SA forums, I welcome you to start similar awareness threads in places like GWS, PI, AI and so on regarding ISIS.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Thanks for all the support thus far on this position. If any of you are high-profile posters on other SA forums, I welcome you to start similar awareness threads in places like GWS, PI, AI and so on regarding ISIS.

Nah, im not doing that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
*Puts the word Islam in their name*

*Does things in the name of their god*

But the left refuses to call them religious radicals. Amazing mental gymnastics.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

*Puts the word Islam in their name*

*Does things in the name of their god*

But the left refuses to call them religious radicals. Amazing mental gymnastics.

I don't think you need to call them much beyond bad guys, actually.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

I want to thank OP for pointing this out. Up until now I feared I was the only one who despised terrorist shitlords. Thank you for revealing that there is social support, and a safe space where I can reveal these feelings.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
yeah but isreal

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
And Bush?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
isis is retarded but i bet it feels really nice to have a transcendent, cosmic purpose

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

I don't think you need to call them much beyond bad guys, actually.

You can call them Islamists, which is what they are.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
ISIS had a good run, but I'm getting excited for the next big terrorist acronym. :allears:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While this isn't a big thread, the lack of mod input/support on my statement that ISIS are bad guys is a little strange. Maybe they just aren't online on Sundays?

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
They're still just trying to work out their frustration over the Crusades. Just let them get it out of their system and they'll be cool.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

are they as bad as the Organization for the Banishment of Affair Meddling Americans?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Yeah the actual guys in ISIS are p bad but you have to respect their ideas wrt a worldwide caliphate with sharia law

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Isis was a good band.

:rip:

naem
May 29, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

Yeah the actual guys in ISIS are p bad but you have to respect their ideas wrt a worldwide caliphate with sharia law

Sharia law: rape seven year olds. Rape their mothers in front of them. If you disagree with this you are an infidel I will behead you.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

naem posted:

Sharia law: rape seven year olds. Rape their mothers in front of them. If you disagree with this you are an infidel I will behead you.

Ah yes, the famous Big Book O' Sharia Law, 6th ed.

And to be fair the US soldiers killed that 11-year-old's parents before raping her, then shot her in the head too so she wouldn't have to live with the trauma.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I hate ISIS but even so I'm honestly taken aback at how much they seem like "Al-Queda gone through the marketing wringer" since they're such picture-perfect bad guys for the Western Media Machine that validate all fears about Islamic Terrorism.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

lol at goons in this thread unironically playing Devil's advocate for ISIS. Radical Christians open a pizza place that won't serve gays = universal goon hate. Radical Muslims literally raping, enslaving, and killing hundreds of thousands = well they are doing bad things, but you see...

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Smiling Mandrill posted:

lol at goons in this thread unironically playing Devil's advocate for ISIS. Radical Christians open a pizza place that won't serve gays = universal goon hate. Radical Muslims literally raping, enslaving, and killing hundreds of thousands = well they are doing bad things, but you see...

This is GBS, so nobody will admit to caring about human life in any form. The important thing is that a generation of American neo-cons' plans lie in ruins.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agag posted:

This is GBS, so nobody will admit to caring about human life in any form. The important thing is that a generation of American neo-cons' plans lie in ruins.

I care about human life, which is why I started this thread.

edit- Agag, can you clarify your feelings regarding ISIS, and if they're bad?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
is this bad like 'badass' or bad like goon opinions?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Well y'see America is worse than ISIL because,

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
ISIS is a cool rear end name.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Chinatown posted:

Isis was a good band.

:rip:

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
If ISIS is real how come nobody knows who their leader is? Prove me wrong. iTS too farfetched.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah a crazy army of barbarians from hell have been rampaging and doing rapes and killing people for years now but nobody has heard of who their leader is

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Have they gone from JV to Varsity yet?

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
Here comes Agag, the official GBS Islamapologist. Here to defend the religion that a guy who married a six year old made up.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Well y'see America is worse than ISIL because,
After the initial airstrikes by the U.S. in northern Iraq, we declared: “Any force, however unsavory, that attacks, repels or otherwise impedes U.S. forces strikes a blow in the interests of the exploited and the oppressed.” However, in the reactionary, mainly Sunni-Shi’ite communal conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the world’s toilers had no side.

Since then, Iraqi government forces and Kurdish pesh merga in Iraq are again conducting joint military operations with the U.S., as they did for years under the occupation. More recently, Syrian Kurdish nationalists have also sealed a treacherous alliance with the U.S. in the battle over Kobani in northern Syria, acting as the imperialists’ bomb spotters and otherwise coordinating military movements. The fact that all these forces are “boots on the ground” for imperialist intervention means that revolutionary Marxists have a military side with ISIS when it targets the imperialists and their proxies, including the Syrian Kurdish nationalists, the pesh merga, the Baghdad government and its Shi’ite militias.

It goes without saying that we internationalist communists are die-hard enemies of the ultra-reactionary social and political program of ISIS, whose methods of rooting out “apostates” amount to mass slaughter. We condemn communal atrocities on all sides. ISIS is itself the imperialists’ creation, having emerged out of the intercommunal slaughter triggered by the U.S. occupation. It counts as precursors those who cut their teeth as jihadis in the CIA-backed war against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Washington could very well switch to supporting ISIS under certain conditions—for example, against the Assad regime in Syria, which is decidedly not a part of the U.S. military alliance despite its best efforts.

But ISIS today is in battle against the local tools of U.S. imperialism, the main enemy of the world’s working people. A setback for the U.S. in Syria might give pause to Washington in its military adventures, including by encouraging opposition at home. Such opposition adds to the tinder that must be ignited in class struggle against the capitalist rulers who, in their quest for ever greater profits, beat down the workers, black people and immigrants.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

*tips fedora*

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

After the initial airstrikes by the U.S. in northern Iraq, we declared: “Any force, however unsavory, that attacks, repels or otherwise impedes U.S. forces strikes a blow in the interests of the exploited and the oppressed.” However, in the reactionary, mainly Sunni-Shi’ite communal conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the world’s toilers had no side.

Since then, Iraqi government forces and Kurdish pesh merga in Iraq are again conducting joint military operations with the U.S., as they did for years under the occupation. More recently, Syrian Kurdish nationalists have also sealed a treacherous alliance with the U.S. in the battle over Kobani in northern Syria, acting as the imperialists’ bomb spotters and otherwise coordinating military movements. The fact that all these forces are “boots on the ground” for imperialist intervention means that revolutionary Marxists have a military side with ISIS when it targets the imperialists and their proxies, including the Syrian Kurdish nationalists, the pesh merga, the Baghdad government and its Shi’ite militias.

It goes without saying that we internationalist communists are die-hard enemies of the ultra-reactionary social and political program of ISIS, whose methods of rooting out “apostates” amount to mass slaughter. We condemn communal atrocities on all sides. ISIS is itself the imperialists’ creation, having emerged out of the intercommunal slaughter triggered by the U.S. occupation. It counts as precursors those who cut their teeth as jihadis in the CIA-backed war against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Washington could very well switch to supporting ISIS under certain conditions—for example, against the Assad regime in Syria, which is decidedly not a part of the U.S. military alliance despite its best efforts.

But ISIS today is in battle against the local tools of U.S. imperialism, the main enemy of the world’s working people. A setback for the U.S. in Syria might give pause to Washington in its military adventures, including by encouraging opposition at home. Such opposition adds to the tinder that must be ignited in class struggle against the capitalist rulers who, in their quest for ever greater profits, beat down the workers, black people and immigrants.

It seems weird that marxists would support ISIS, since supporting bad guys is dumb, but marxists are smart. At least that's what I had been led to believe.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Throwdini posted:

Yeah a crazy army of barbarians from hell have been rampaging and doing rapes and killing people for years now but nobody has heard of who their leader is

It's you isn't it. This is foreshadowing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe marxists like ISIS because they share similar beliefs about the subtext of popular sci-fi and super-hero movies?

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

arghfist posted:

op just ignore them and they'll eventually get bored and stop being evil

They're more afraid of you than you are of them.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

They seem really proud to murder people for bad reasons, and should be stopped.

woah man

woah

what?

:eyepop:

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
who is worse ISIS or the cartels in mexico?

I feel like ISIS gets more press and they have the crazy beliefs going for them but some of that cartel poo poo is just heinous.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

ISIS because nobody earnestly believes that the cartels are the good guys doing gods will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
Also, professional marketing and kick-rear end videos of their killings in broad daylight, not quietly in the night.

• Locked thread