Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

They seem really proud to murder people for bad reasons, and should be stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I am hoping to bring all of SA together in agreement: ISIS are bad guys.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While there are a lot of people who say ISIS does all of this because of Islam or American Imperialism, I think they shouldn't do these killings or rapes at all.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks for all the support thus far on this position. If any of you are high-profile posters on other SA forums, I welcome you to start similar awareness threads in places like GWS, PI, AI and so on regarding ISIS.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

*Puts the word Islam in their name*

*Does things in the name of their god*

But the left refuses to call them religious radicals. Amazing mental gymnastics.

I don't think you need to call them much beyond bad guys, actually.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While this isn't a big thread, the lack of mod input/support on my statement that ISIS are bad guys is a little strange. Maybe they just aren't online on Sundays?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agag posted:

This is GBS, so nobody will admit to caring about human life in any form. The important thing is that a generation of American neo-cons' plans lie in ruins.

I care about human life, which is why I started this thread.

edit- Agag, can you clarify your feelings regarding ISIS, and if they're bad?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

After the initial airstrikes by the U.S. in northern Iraq, we declared: “Any force, however unsavory, that attacks, repels or otherwise impedes U.S. forces strikes a blow in the interests of the exploited and the oppressed.” However, in the reactionary, mainly Sunni-Shi’ite communal conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the world’s toilers had no side.

Since then, Iraqi government forces and Kurdish pesh merga in Iraq are again conducting joint military operations with the U.S., as they did for years under the occupation. More recently, Syrian Kurdish nationalists have also sealed a treacherous alliance with the U.S. in the battle over Kobani in northern Syria, acting as the imperialists’ bomb spotters and otherwise coordinating military movements. The fact that all these forces are “boots on the ground” for imperialist intervention means that revolutionary Marxists have a military side with ISIS when it targets the imperialists and their proxies, including the Syrian Kurdish nationalists, the pesh merga, the Baghdad government and its Shi’ite militias.

It goes without saying that we internationalist communists are die-hard enemies of the ultra-reactionary social and political program of ISIS, whose methods of rooting out “apostates” amount to mass slaughter. We condemn communal atrocities on all sides. ISIS is itself the imperialists’ creation, having emerged out of the intercommunal slaughter triggered by the U.S. occupation. It counts as precursors those who cut their teeth as jihadis in the CIA-backed war against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Washington could very well switch to supporting ISIS under certain conditions—for example, against the Assad regime in Syria, which is decidedly not a part of the U.S. military alliance despite its best efforts.

But ISIS today is in battle against the local tools of U.S. imperialism, the main enemy of the world’s working people. A setback for the U.S. in Syria might give pause to Washington in its military adventures, including by encouraging opposition at home. Such opposition adds to the tinder that must be ignited in class struggle against the capitalist rulers who, in their quest for ever greater profits, beat down the workers, black people and immigrants.

It seems weird that marxists would support ISIS, since supporting bad guys is dumb, but marxists are smart. At least that's what I had been led to believe.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe marxists like ISIS because they share similar beliefs about the subtext of popular sci-fi and super-hero movies?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Zzulu posted:

lmao you havent won Iraq yet lol, what the gently caress is the point of all your trillions of dollars worth of warmachinery if you can't even beat up a bunch of idiot desert rednecks properly

You had to avoid caps and punctuation to make sure your irony got across. That's cool.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I'm not the most politcal guy, but am I correct in assuming:

usa = SHINRA

ISIS = A.V.A.L.A.N.C.H.E.

???

I guess the irony here is that it'd be really messed up to make video game jokes standing over the raped and burned body of a victim of ISIS's brutality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

There are goons on this site who like and support ISIS, but are afraid to admit so without a thin veil of irony for protection.

• Locked thread