Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
still not seeing the connection here. if he is practicing martial arts all day then he must be healthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lol

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

B/c your caloric intake could feed a dozen starving people.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Pookum posted:

ok well if a sumo wrestler isnt healthy why can he still kick your rear end?

bitch I'll kick your rear end up and down main street for three days and I got asthma and pigeon leg

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Ghaz posted:

bitch I'll kick your rear end up and down main street for three days and I got asthma and pigeon leg

hell you're square as a box of apple jacks and twice as fruity
bring it on son i just started the sumo diet.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The Effects Of Obesity You Can't Always See: 5 Major Organs Damaged By Excess Body Fat

no surprise that the brain is one of these 5 organs

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The dutch or someone out that way also had a study come out pointing out there's a direct correlation between being too fat and dying younger.

The fact that this study was even needed says a lot about the world today. No one really acts surprise when 300lb eats a burger everyday dies of a heart attack in their 50s.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Don't try and kid your fat self into thinking you might actually be healthy. Sounds like avoidance to me.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Pookum posted:

hell you're square as a box of apple jacks and twice as fruity
bring it on son i just started the sumo diet.

twice as fruity? but how could- oh yeah of course youd know that explians why they got a pic of you above the employee of the month plaque out @ kelogg tasteing perfection labs in KZOO... cause your the side-pontytail little bitch who let em conquer the market with that perfect fruity flavor

i assume youj meant to type "sumone please piledrive my fat head into the earth so hard I gently caress up a rice paddy in china traveling from below" then after collapsing from weakness tried to type the only solution for ur pathetic paper tiger body"dietonight" but obv. the same thing happend again

on that note yeah i'll be glad to help you little no count shrimpette

Ghaz fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 20, 2015

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

"Fat" isn't a very definitive measurement of weight.

I know a lot of distance runners (like Marathon+ distance) who don't exactly look skinny but are very healthy. However, they're also not 50 on the BMI scale. They eat healthy, get plenty of exercise but carry a bit of extra weight around too.

So if "fat" means obese, no, not healthy. If fat means "overweight", you can be healthy. Also if you're thin you can still have high blood pressure or high cholesterol or heart disease or diabetes if you eat like poo poo and don't get any exercise.

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Fat 'being bad' is the result of desklocked GBS posters discovering health in their mid 20s/30s, and then projecting all over the place in order to forget their former sad existences.

IRL, being fat just means you're the friend that can't take part in any fun outdoor activities, but you make up for it with your funny, jovial personality (see big gross funnyman Louis CK).

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
louis ck isnt very jovial, a better example would be santa or rush limbaugh

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah, I kind of just assumed it means 'personable fat guy.'

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

no they will not posted:

I understand why it would be bad to be fat if you were morbidly obese, and got heart attacks and stuff like in that Simpsons episode, but not every fat person is Springfield's infamous buffoon, Homer Simpson. Just something I thought up earlier today. Be nice, this is my first thread on SA [OMG TEH NOOBXORZ!!!!111!!one :cheeky:]

Amazing

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Sidakafitz posted:

B/c your caloric intake could feed a dozen starving people.

you're being too hard on those bodybuilders

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

because your bones dont get any fatter

that isn't a real scan, you can see the 3d geometry wireframe. the real secret scientists don't want you to know is actually the bones expand

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

gay sewer monster posted:

Fat 'being bad' is the result of desklocked GBS posters discovering health in their mid 20s/30s, and then projecting all over the place in order to forget their former sad existences.

IRL, being fat just means you're the friend that can't take part in any fun outdoor activities
see that bullshit is defeatist self-inflicted punishment in acknowledgement of crimes against yourself
you got yourself fat and it was a mistake therefor you deserve to not get to enjoy things

bullshit get liposuction its not a moral decision or if im wrong and it is a moral decision then the moral choice is to not waste more months feeling bad about being fat no matter who wants to shame you about it and getting lipo

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15181022

quote:

Adipose tissue is a complex, essential, and highly active metabolic and endocrine organ. Besides adipocytes, adipose tissue contains connective tissue matrix, nerve tissue, stromovascular cells, and immune cells. Together these components function as an integrated unit. Adipose tissue not only responds to afferent signals from traditional hormone systems and the central nervous system but also expresses and secretes factors with important endocrine functions. These factors include leptin, other cytokines, adiponectin, complement components, plasminogen activator inhibitor-1, proteins of the renin-angiotensin system, and resistin. Adipose tissue is also a major site for metabolism of sex steroids and glucocorticoids. The important endocrine function of adipose tissue is emphasized by the adverse metabolic consequences of both adipose tissue excess and deficiency. A better understanding of the endocrine function of adipose tissue will likely lead to more rational therapy for these increasingly prevalent disorders.

On an individual level, it's possible to be substantially overweight but escape the negative metabloic effects of excess adipose tissue and the mechanical negative effects of excess mass on the joints and connective tissues. On an individual level, it's possible to smoke a pack a day and live to 100. Both these things however are enormously significant risk factors for a host of horrible health conditions. The morbidly and super morbidly obese, for example, are 80 TIMES more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than the non-overweight population, sleep apnea is rare in non obese individuals and common in morbidly and supermorbidly obese people, and so on

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
leptin! :argh:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
ffs guys obviously obesity is unhealthy so can we just post pictures of cool fat girls eating????

wanna be that 'rito

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Being grossed out by fat people is bad for you, the cortisol poisons your heart, compassion towards fat people is much better for your health.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

The dutch or someone out that way also had a study come out pointing out there's a direct correlation between being too fat and dying younger.

The fact that this study was even needed says a lot about the world today. No one really acts surprise when 300lb eats a burger everyday dies of a heart attack in their 50s.

My husband is clinical coordinator on the heart ICU of a local hospital. He says it's more and more common to see people coming in with heart attacks in their 40s, not just their 50s. Pathetic.

Oh wait, I forgot: HEALTH AT EVERY SIZE

obviously I fucked it fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 20, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
There's some study that fats point to where it shows that fats that lose weight are more likely to die. When you actually get into the numbers though it shows that fats are like 10 times more likely to die in their 30s and 40s and that when a fat loses weight its more likely from a disease than a healthy life change.

The HAES takeaway from what should be a damning study is that losing weight is bad.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Because being fat causes problems for you organs. Which puts you at risk of getting sick. Your body is not designed to be fat.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm typing this post while making GBS threads, something fat people don't do, because they don't poo poo.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

IRL, being fat just means you're the friend that can't take part in any fun outdoor activities, but you make up for it with your funny, jovial personality (see big gross funnyman Louis CK).
See Ralphie May.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Because being fat causes problems for you organs. Which puts you at risk of getting sick. Your body is not designed to be fat.

So your argument is, being unhealthy is bad. That's great, but it's not the question I asked.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

no they will not posted:

So your argument is, being unhealthy is bad. That's great, but it's not the question I asked.

your question is an oxymoron. It's like asking why is being dry bad if you're wet.

also something something thermodynamics

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

no they will not posted:

Because You'll have less great sex than me and everyone else.

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

gary oldmans diary posted:

see that bullshit is defeatist self-inflicted punishment in acknowledgement of crimes against yourself
you got yourself fat and it was a mistake therefor you deserve to not get to enjoy things

bullshit get liposuction its not a moral decision or if im wrong and it is a moral decision then the moral choice is to not waste more months feeling bad about being fat no matter who wants to shame you about it and getting lipo

I absolutely cannot parse this.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i think judging people on the way they embody virtues through their actions is the most important thing to judge anyone on

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Also I'm 5'10" 155, but I can understand your need to believe that people who don't agree with you are the other.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I got weighed at the doctors today; 198lbs.

I lost 38lbs.

Go me.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

psyopmonkey posted:

I got weighed at the doctors today; 198lbs.

I lost 38lbs.

Go me.

:peanut: Keep it up!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Also I'm 5'10" 155, but I can understand your need to believe that people who don't agree with you are the other.

eat more

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

I absolutely cannot parse this.
then its not for you

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

could there be anything healthier than a lively fungal growth between one's fat folds?

Very healthy, indeed.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
GOD loving drat IT.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

no they will not posted:

P. much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

god damnit now i have to jerk it all night. love that pic

• Locked thread