Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Relative to most other animal species on Earth, you are closely related to sea urchins and other echinoderms. Chordates (including all vertebrates) and echinoderms (which also includes sand dollars and brittle stars and the like) are both deuterostomes, which means the anus forms prior to the mouth in embryonic development. Most other animals, such as all arthropods, are protostomes, which means the initial invagination becomes the mouth and not the rear end in a top hat. So you share with the sea urchin the decision to prioritize your rear end. Sea urchins are weird. They are really goddamn weird animals and they unsettle me. Especially slate-pencil urchins, they're the creepiest by a long shot. I can't be sexually aroused near a sea urchin, that's how much it affects me to imagine them and their strangeness.

Echinometra mathaei

---

Heterocentrotus mammillatus

---

Tripneustes gratilla, the Collector Urchin.

---

Toxopneustes pileolus

---

Astropyga radiata

---

Heterocentrotus spp.

---

Colobocentrotus atrata
---

Eucidaris tribuloides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
they don't seem very creepy to me. I bet I could get a hard on if I was in a tank full of them

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

they don't seem very creepy to me. I bet I could get a hard on if I was in a tank full of them

These crinoids would probably gentle tickle your ball sack

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You sure that last one isn't a Shoggoth?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

No animal should have a bit inside called an "Aristotle's lantern"

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
they were used to make vagina dentata before the industrial revolution

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stoic Commie posted:

they were used to make vagina dentata before the industrial revolution

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
theyre cute

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

their mouths:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
and forums user stoic commie never ate another hush puppy. yikes!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stoic Commie posted:

and forums user stoic commie never ate another hush puppy. yikes!

mouthparts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
mouthparts of the brittle star, also echinoderm

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Which one is the delicious one?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

None pictured that's why we still have pictures of them to share.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Going to UrchinCon this year, will post photos when I get back.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
it's fun to catch sea urchins and then it's really tasty to eat their genitals.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
If you have the time and patience and money a large saltwater tank is very fun.

Thank you for yet another good science thread OP

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Sea urchin tastes really good. Near where I lived in Italy, people would just fish them right out of the water and smash them open and eat the good parts.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVDVM-3Sa0

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
When I was a young boy my family went to Greece a couple of times, which allowed me to build up a healthy hatred of sea urchins that has kept me awake at night and haunted my dreams ever since.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Business Octopus posted:

it's fun to catch sea urchins and then it's really tasty to eat their genitals.

no they just kind of taste like seawater

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
what do they do if you touch them?

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

what do they do if you touch them?

They sting you

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
those pictures are loving scary as loving hell and I am glad that the oceans are dying now because gently caress THOSE SEA URCHINS

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Did he say "It's very Roman Polanski, Sigourney Weaver, Alien"?

What does that mean?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crewmine posted:

They sting you

Not all, but some are venomous and potentially fatal.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
hey pick do you know anything about carnivorous plants

I know they aren't animals but they are close right cause they eat things

mostly I am interested in their evolution I guess. I read the wikipedia article on them and it says that they have evolved independently in like 6 different plants. TO me that is pretty crazy like how does that even happen. Honestly it is making me question whether its illogical to say you'd need an intelligent mind to design it. I mean not really, but thats how crazy venus fly traps are to me. I mean pitcher plants aren't that crazy, but venus fly traps what the gently caress???

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

mostly I am interested in their evolution I guess. I read the wikipedia article on them and it says that they have evolved independently in like 6 different plants. TO me that is pretty crazy like how does that even happen. Honestly it is making me question whether its illogical to say you'd need an intelligent mind to design it. I mean not really, but thats how crazy venus fly traps are to me. I mean pitcher plants aren't that crazy, but venus fly traps what the gently caress???

bladderworts are more interesting than venus flytraps, actually

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

There are plants with fast, non-carnivorous reactions also. Mimosa pudica, for example. It is pretty nutty to think a plant used that capability to trap insects, but the most important thing to remember about evolution is that life on Earth has had an absolute shitload of time to figure this stuff out. More than our brains can really contextualize.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Pick posted:

No animal should have a bit inside called an "Aristotle's lantern"

Where's the butthole we share so much in common with?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

Where's the butthole we share so much in common with?

It's literally at the top. They eat on the bottom and poo poo out the top.

The bright orange thing is the anus.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Pick posted:

They eat on the bottom and poo poo out the top.

Efficient

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

There are plants with fast, non-carnivorous reactions also. Mimosa pudica, for example. It is pretty nutty to think a plant used that capability to trap insects, but the most important thing to remember about evolution is that life on Earth has had an absolute shitload of time to figure this stuff out. More than our brains can really contextualize.

yeah I know theres a lot of time but how does it just HAPPEN

nobody is figuring anything out, its evolution. Theres no one deciding to make changes, these changes happen in the same way a river changes course when it encounters an obstacle.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

yeah I know theres a lot of time but how does it just HAPPEN

nobody is figuring anything out, its evolution. Theres no one deciding to make changes, these changes happen in the same way a river changes course when it encounters an obstacle.

Remember: an evolutionary adaptation doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be better than not having it at all. You can bet that in the past, there were less effective, much crummier "flytraps", they just had an advantage over those with absolutely nothing. It's probably easier to imagine for pitcher plants--they probably had a cuplike shape due to other evolutionary pressures, but it happened to be that it had, say, a .1% chance of trapping a fly. Well, those plants do better, and ten million years later their cuplike shape is a little more refined and now they have a 3% chance of trapping a fly. Those are way better off than any remaining otherwise similar trapless plants. Ten million years later, it's a 6% chance of trapping a fly, etc.

Flytraps still gently caress up and fail to successfully catch insects most of the time. But it works sometimes, and that's enough to justify it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Remember: an evolutionary adaptation doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be better than not having it at all. You can bet that in the past, there were less effective, much crummier "flytraps", they just had an advantage over those with absolutely nothing. It's probably easier to imagine for pitcher plants--they probably had a cuplike shape due to other evolutionary pressures, but it happened to be that it had, say, a .1% chance of trapping a fly. Well, those plants do better, and ten million years later their cuplike shape is a little more refined and now they have a 3% chance of trapping a fly. Those are way better off than any remaining otherwise similar trapless plants. Ten million years later, it's a 6% chance of trapping a fly, etc.

Flytraps still gently caress up and fail to successfully catch insects most of the time. But it works sometimes, and that's enough to justify it.

yes I understand that. What I want to know (and obviously we lack the answer due to incomplete fossil records since these plants don't fossilize well or at all) is how did it start. I mean I know this is that dumb anti-evolution argument basically of "what are the missing links" but I want to know what they are so I can understand what happened. How did a normal plant turn into a venus flytrap, like what were the steps. Or what was the venus fly trap before it was a venus flytrap. there was a time when there were no plants at all, then there were some plants, and now there are carnivorous plants like the venus fly trap. But what was the evolutionary impetus that caused the plant to adapt in that way.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for another animal thread, Pick! I always like when you do these. :3:

One thing we can say about you is that you know your animals.

Sea urchins kind of make me think of the ancient monsters in Mountains of Madness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

yes I understand that. What I want to know (and obviously we lack the answer due to incomplete fossil records since these plants don't fossilize well or at all) is how did it start. I mean I know this is that dumb anti-evolution argument basically of "what are the missing links" but I want to know what they are so I can understand what happened. How did a normal plant turn into a venus flytrap, like what were the steps. Or what was the venus fly trap before it was a venus flytrap. there was a time when there were no plants at all, then there were some plants, and now there are carnivorous plants like the venus fly trap. But what was the evolutionary impetus that caused the plant to adapt in that way.

If I truly knew the answer, I'd probably be famous or some poo poo or at least not live in a craphole. Here's what wikipedia suggests:

quote:

Proposed evolutionary history
Carnivorous plants are generally herbs, and their traps primary growth. They generally do not form readily fossilizable structures such as thick bark or wood. As such, there's no fossil evidence of the steps that would link Dionaea and Aldrovanda, or with their common ancestor with Drosera. Despite that, it's possible to extrapolate an evolutionary history based on phylogenetic studies of both genera. So, the researchers proposed a series of steps that would ultimately result in the complex snap-trap mechanism:[21][22]

Larger insects usually walk over the plant, instead of flying to it,[24] and are more likely to break free from sticky glands alone. Therefore, a plant with wider leaves, like Drosera falconeri,[21] must have adapted to move the trap and its stalks in directions that maximized its chance of capturing and retaining such prey - in this particular case, longitudinally. Once adequately "wrapped", escape would be more difficult.[24]

Then, evolutionary pressure selected the plants with shorter response time, in a manner similar to Drosera burmannii or Drosera glanduligera. The faster the closing, less reliant on the flypaper model the plant would be.

As the trap became more and more active, the energy demanded to "wrap" the prey increased. Therefore, plants that could somehow differentiate between actual insects and random detritus/rain droplets would be in advantage, thus explaining the specialization of inner tentacles into trigger hairs.

Ultimately, as the plant relied more in closing around the insect rather than gluing them, the tentacles so evident in Drosera would lose its original function altogether, becoming the "teeth" and trigger hairs — an example of natural selection hijacking pre-existing structures for new functions.

Completing the transition, at some point in its evolutionary history the plant developed the depressed digestive glands found inside the trap, rather than using the dews in the stalks, further differentiating it from genus Drosera.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

those pictures are loving scary as loving hell and I am glad that the oceans are dying now because gently caress THOSE SEA URCHINS

Actually, sea urchins are doing well relative to most other ocean species, since we killed off most of the cod and sea otters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

• Locked thread