Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pick posted:

this is what a baby sand dollar looks like:

Asteroids HD looking good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hazo posted:

I mean ctenophores are rad but there's still a ton of fun stuff to talk about with stinging jellies

true. i have yet to do a "worm phyla" thread though. that's going to be a srs effort post

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SHISHKABOB posted:

yes I understand that. What I want to know (and obviously we lack the answer due to incomplete fossil records since these plants don't fossilize well or at all) is how did it start. I mean I know this is that dumb anti-evolution argument basically of "what are the missing links" but I want to know what they are so I can understand what happened. How did a normal plant turn into a venus flytrap, like what were the steps. Or what was the venus fly trap before it was a venus flytrap. there was a time when there were no plants at all, then there were some plants, and now there are carnivorous plants like the venus fly trap. But what was the evolutionary impetus that caused the plant to adapt in that way.
The evolutionary impetus for carnivorous plants to be carnivorous is generally because they are in an environment that is poor in certain nutrients, and they can get an advantage by eating animals.

A lot of the "how" for many people is misunderstood because they fixate on the results of evolution too much. The ancestors of a venus flytrap weren't aiming to become a venus flytrap, and some of the steps of their evolutionary path may have had nothing to do with eating bugs. Evolution is blind, and it often works with bits and bobs of whatever's available to do the next thing.

A good example of this is the evolution flight. It's very easy to see how a creature goes from glide -> fly, but how do you go from ground -> glide? If you're only 2% better at gliding than your ancestor that can't glide at all, you're still going to fall like a rock! That's where the bits and bobs come in. There's a good possibility that the original insect wings were solar panels. Current insects with wings often use them for thermoregulation, in the sun to absorb heat or turned to the side to cool down. The point where a stubby proto-wing is big enough for the best heat transfer is also the point where they're starting to be effective for flight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

Polyphyletic basically means "critters that look alike but may not actually be related."

Sharks and dolphins!!!!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sharks and dolphins!!!!!!

Yeah, if you had described Sharkodolphinae as "dolphins and sharks" based on "big, gray, fast-swimming animals" that would be a polyphyletic group.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pick posted:

you can see the barnacle

Holy poo poo! They have tentacles in there?!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

Technically they're cirri. They're strands with fringes used to filter feed.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Bored posted:

If you look at a barnacle in the water you can see them sort of grabbing at the water and pulling back. It's quite hypnotic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Larval barnacle:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mmmmm uni.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

larval brittle star

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Thanks for the hott sea urchin pix

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pick posted:

Technically they're cirri. They're strands with fringes used to filter feed.

It's neat to watch them eating

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I have a couple purple urchins (Pacific NW) in a 120 tide pool tank at home. It's hard to tell from the pictures of other urchins here but they have tentacles all over their bodies that come out of the test/shell. They wave about between and beyond their spines. I wasn't aware of the extent of this when I placed them in the tank the first time, so the spiny ball suddenly became a weird tentacled mass within a second of hitting the tank water. It felt like something out of a nightmare.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Grogquock posted:

I have a couple purple urchins (Pacific NW) in a 120 tide pool tank at home. It's hard to tell from the pictures of other urchins here but they have tentacles all over their bodies that come out of the test/shell. They wave about between and beyond their spines. I wasn't aware of the extent of this when I placed them in the tank the first time, so the spiny ball suddenly became a weird tentacled mass within a second of hitting the tank water. It felt like something out of a nightmare.

Yeah. Urchins are weird. I think those are called pedicellariae or something. They use them for all sorts of poo poo in the wild, like defense and cleaning. Also camouflage. With all the trash in the ocean, that leads to pics like these.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pick posted:

No animal should have a bit inside called an "Aristotle's lantern"

AT LEAST 50% GONAD GUARANTEE
THE BIGGEST 'NADS IN TOWN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Yo Pick what's your favourite type of worm. I like nematodes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grogquock posted:

Yeah, they're also pretty loving weird. But they do make sense as homologues for those of the starfish (which are more familiar to most).

Sea urchin

Starfish

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mae posted:

Yo Pick what's your favourite type of worm. I like nematodes

Depends on your definition of "worm". I really like planarians though, they're just really cute and always doing cute things.

(comedy answer: priapulid worms :dong: )

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pick posted:

larval brittle star

I remember this episode of ST: TNG. I think it's from the Dr. Pulaski season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

I remember this episode of ST: TNG. I think it's from the Dr. Pulaski season.

Are you thinking of the Farpoint aliens or the crystalline entity? Both of those are season 1. Pulaski was season 2.

e: also the crystalline entity is far more of a basket star

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 20, 2015

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
did you guys discuss that viral pandemic that's affecting those poor sea stars?

they turn to mush. :(

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I lost a star to that. It developed nasty whitish holes on its arms and just started leaking chunks of flesh out of them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Glasgow Kiss posted:

first it was urchin swarms that were destroying all the sea beds, like a spiny locust plague

now the echinoderms are being wiped out by a plague plague

soon the only life left in the oceans will be jellyfish

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If an urchin sticks its little tubeys to you does it hurt them when you pull your hand away?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Sea Star Wasting Disease (SSWD)

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 21, 2015

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bismuth posted:

If an urchin sticks its little tubeys to you does it hurt them when you pull your hand away?

As a rule it's really hard to kill echinoderms through physical damage, they just regenerate everything. Barring hosed up plagues like the one above, they're pretty much immortal. Or do you mean pain? They don't really feel pain in the same sense that vertabrates do. Neurologically very simple creatures.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bismuth posted:

Probably not, but I don't know much about their behavior. Their nervous system is reaaaally simple though.

(the image is a little deceptive because echinoderms also have a nerve-net-like configuration throughout their limbs but I don't know how well it's integrated)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here's what my old zoology textbook from undergrad says about starfish:

quote:

The nervous system consists of three units at different levels in the discs and arms. Chief of these systems an oral (ectoneural) system composed of a nerve ring around the mouth and a main raidal nerve into each arm. It appear to coordinate the tube feet. A deep (hyponeural) system lies aboral to the oral system, and an aboral system consists of a ring around the anus and raidal nerves along the roof of each ray. An epidermal nerve plexus or nerve net freely connects these systems within the body wall and related structures. The epidermal plexus coordinates responses of the dermal branchiae to tactile stmulation--the only known instance of echinoderms in which coordination occurs through a nerve net. Sense organs and not well-developed. Tactile organs and other sensory cells are scattered over the surface, and an ocellus at the end of each arm. Their reactions are mainly to touch, temperature, chemicals, and light intensity. Sea stars are usually more active at night.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

Probably not, but I don't know much about their behavior. Their nervous system is reaaaally simple though.

(the image is a little deceptive because echinoderms also have a nerve-net-like configuration throughout their limbs but I don't know how well it's integrated)

Well yeah, the point is that whatever reactions they have to physical damage is just the same kind of immidiate flinching reaction you have if I poke your finger with a needle. It's a reflexive reaction, there is no sense of pain in the sense we perceive it involved. It takes repeated needle pokes/electric shocks to get them to stop doing whatever they're doing, and even then they just forget it after a few minutes. Really fascinating creatures, don't get me wrong. Their simplicity is what makes them so interesting subject for neuroscience research.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
actually pick, pls timg those pics they're a bit gross

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well yeah, the point is that whatever reactions they have to physical damage is just the same kind of immidiate flinching reaction you have if I poke your finger with a needle. It's a reflexive reaction, there is no sense of pain in the sense we perceive it involved. It takes repeated needle pokes/electric shocks to get them to stop doing whatever they're doing, and even then they just forget it after a few minutes. Really fascinating creatures, don't get me wrong. Their simplicity is what makes them so interesting subject for neuroscience research.

I mean more in the sense that it's not always clear what is meant by "pain" when you start talking biologically. A sea star certainly can't feel "anguish" but, like, at what point is beep-boop-aversion-do-not-want "pain"? Hell if I know.

Friendly Tumour posted:

actually pick, pls timg those pics they're a bit gross

done

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Language nerds shouldn't be left out of these threads.

"Urchin" is just an older English word that means "hedgehog."

That's why "sea urchins" are named what they're named... they look like rolled-up hedgehogs, sort of.

It's also why kids are sometimes called urchins... not because they look like loving sea urchins, ugh, but because they're kind of small and maybe they gambol around and are easily squished by passing cars.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

I mean more in the sense that it's not always clear what is meant by "pain" when you start talking biologically. A sea star certainly can't feel "anguish" but, like, at what point is beep-boop-aversion-do-not-want "pain"? Hell if I know.

Well biologically the important bit is learning from pain and pleasure, since individual neurons have exactly those two reactions to input and nothing else. I'd say that anything that doesn't have a brain can't feel pain, but it's a bit of an abstract question since the nervous structure of different phylae is structured so differently and we're stuck with our human conceptualization of pain. But this is getting really philosophical and I need to get drunk right this loving instant

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also I would not mind a thread on Platyhelminthes, or Cnidarians, or hell just any sea creatures would be fine, we can do sea turtles if you want.

e. Oh yeah and everyone needs to know about the flapjack octopus.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well biologically the important bit is learning from pain and pleasure, since individual neurons have exactly those two reactions to input and nothing else. I'd say that anything that doesn't have a brain can't feel pain, but it's a bit of an abstract question since the nervous structure of different phylae is structured so differently and we're stuck with our human conceptualization of pain. But this is getting really philosophical and I need to get drunk right this loving instant

not to get all Peter Singer, but you mention things like longterm retention of aversion behaviors and etc., and this kind of thinking is why we stopped acnowledging pain in babies, and therefore stopped anesthetizing babies for surgery. then we realized oh whoops, actually maybe babies can feel pain and maybe we shouldn't cut them open with scissors and stuff unless they've been numbed maybe

naem
May 29, 2011

bugs

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I just want to say that this thread is an anomaly in that there have been no table-breaking images posted

that is as weird as a sea urchin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Good, I always worried about that when they wouldnt let go, I didnt want to hurt them.

• Locked thread