Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
does linux suck?
yes
yes
View Results

• Locked thread
obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
everytime i have to do linux by myself, I get super pissed off that things aren't straightforward and all the poo poo I'm googling doesn't help. Am I the only one that feels this way? i should just hire someone to do all the linux work so I can start actually programming things instead of trying to figure out why my linux doesn't like what I'm trying to install on it. Linux loving sucks gay man dick

right now, I'm stuck with figuring out how to boot a loving raspbian without a external keyboard and I wasted a good portion of the day failing at it. and the only reason im using a raspbery pi for this is because my flipping VMware attempts to install linuxes with proper opengl support just keeps kicking me in the dick each time I try something else to get it working. this is the life of the linux admin. failing over and over and reading manuals for 50 hours. why would anyone want to do this for a living?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

because it pays well

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raere posted:

because it pays well

yea ok that makes sense, but do any of the linux men axtually enjoy their jobs? why do i hear so many people saying they prefer linux to windows even though windows Just Works all the time and linux requires reading man pages for a year to get what you want

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

obstipator posted:

yea ok that makes sense, but do any of the linux men axtually enjoy their jobs? why do i hear so many people saying they prefer linux to windows even though windows Just Works all the time and linux requires reading man pages for a year to get what you want

once you've read the man pages it's pretty nice

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

once you've read the man pages

confirmed: linux is gay

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
if you cant figure it out you're probably a lovely programmer, hth

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Easy, I use it while sitting down

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
very carefully OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you should consider yourself
lucky OP THAT you even have half a day to waste. you deserev to be getting malaria in a rice paddy but instead you are inside, warm, dry, disease free, fed and clothed and you're complaining about software you didnt even pay for

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
First time I installed linux I had to rawrite a boot floppy and calculate partition sizes and tweak the xconfig by hand so stop yer whinin :corsair:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

lucky OP THAT you even have half a day to waste. you deserev to be getting malaria in a rice paddy but instead you are inside, warm, dry, disease free, fed and clothed and you're complaining about software you didnt even pay for

:staredog:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
2 reasns:
1. linux owns bones
2. gently caress u op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

every time i boot linux i feel the same way. no wait windows. sorry op.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

:wth:!!

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i dont want to spend a ton of time learning the ins and outs of a linux when my goal is to code something else. i just want whatever poo poo i want to be installed and configured so i can get to work on the important stuff

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.

obstipator posted:

i dont want to spend a ton of time learning the ins and outs of a linux when my goal is to code something else. i just want whatever poo poo i want to be installed and configured so i can get to work on the important stuff

learning to use tools pays off in the end even if it's tedious to start with (and it shouldn't be because LEARNING IS FUN)

you could spend your whole life writing things in notepad b/c you don't want to spend the week or so it takes to get comfortable with vim, but would you really want to?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
sounds like linux is not for you op, we all have different skills and talents and i guess yours lie elsewhere. be glad that you have discovered this, accepting it is the first step on the path to happiness. namaste

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i installed slackware in 2004, used it for 15 minutes, then concluded (correctly) that linux was a piece of poo poo and never used it again

that's my linux story

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ITT the OP is too fat to stand while using Linux.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

GoldenTeeth posted:

learning to use tools pays off in the end even if it's tedious to start with (and it shouldn't be because LEARNING IS FUN)

you could spend your whole life writing things in notepad b/c you don't want to spend the week or so it takes to get comfortable with vim, but would you really want to?

Don't use vim use spacemacs

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Don't use vim use spacemacs

all I'm seeing is spac emacs

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoldenTeeth posted:

same. we are too far gone

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
what's the best linux?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sweevo posted:

i installed slackware in 2004, used it for 15 minutes, then concluded (correctly) that linux was a piece of poo poo and never used it again

that's my linux story

I installed Slackware in 1996 and used it for ten years. I'm better now though.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Nubile Hillock posted:

what's the best linux?

who is the tallest dwarf?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

echinopsis posted:

maoism-third worldism computre

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

who is the tallest dwarf?

Citizen Tayne

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oh sorry i read that as "shortest"

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
The Lord God is making Linux piss you off because his plan for you is to bone chicks 24/7 instead of become a linux computer wiz.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

GoldenTeeth posted:

yes, Linux has bad fonts and kerning

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

obstipator posted:

welcome to the real world which is not perfect

you should work on that

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i agree op, linux is bad. there used to be a time in yospos when you could openly declare linux is bad and you'd get full support from the entire community. doesnt look like that is the case these days and it's a shame.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

i agree op, linux is bad. there used to be a time in yospos when you could openly declare linux is bad and you'd get full support from the entire community. doesnt look like that is the case these days and it's a shame.

There is also an unironic android user thread.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cant someone make embedded computer not be computer ???

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
[img-rakim from oakland computers easy like tv

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

if youre having problems with linux, you probably are not doing things the linux way.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

i installed Ubuntu once

oh wait I also setup AirPlay in my car with a raspberry pi that was kinda fun tbh

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
learning linux sucks because what you really have to learn is 80 years of computer history going back to the teleprinter to understand why everything is unintuitive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Linux just makes sense [when you factor in 80 years of computing baggage]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Perplx posted:

learning linux sucks because what you really have to learn is 80 years of computer history going back to the teleprinter to understand why everything is unintuitive
true

and yet i still can't fix terminal flow control on my mack

• Locked thread