Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Even if bitcoin itself turns out to not be successful, it opens the door to potential legitimate electronic currencies in the future. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
it has so many applications

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
blockchain rules everything around me

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Do you remember when you could buy like 10,000 Bitcoin for $10 and goons were all mad and saying it was a scam.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Do you remember when you could buy like 10,000 Bitcoin for $10 and goons were all mad and saying it was a scam.

it was and is, but you just missed out on profiting from the scam

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

blockchain rules everything around me

B.R.E.A.M.

Get the virtual money

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

As long as people are willing to buy illegal drugs with it it's not a scam

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Time to mail a check, let me just enclose a copy of every other check ever sent by man, and I'm good to go!

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

but with bitcoin

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

they were and still are

doesn't mean that ~virtual currency~ is never going to happen but the idea that bitcoin can scale to anything beyond "hosed up weirdo enthusiasts" is laughable

it's like this: if someone came to you with the Wright Flyer and told you that, with this new invention, he was going to build an elaborate system of airports that would ferry millions of people across the planet every day, he wouldn't be totally wrong, but he wouldn't be right either - there is a drat good loving reason we don't pile onto Wright Flyers to take international flights, and it's because the technology of flight had to mature and overcome significant early problems to get to point B first, with a lot of false starts and evolutionary dead ends along the way

bitcoin enthusiasts see the Wright Flyer and strap themselves in, then sit there until they die yelling at everyone that this plane is going straight to the moon

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
reminder that "currency" literally means "the quality or state of being used or accepted by many people"

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The Protagonist posted:

yeah, would be sweet to turn that into bearwhale $150 coins assuming i had the randomly generated digital noise name wallet address and password still around for like four/five years

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

they were and still are

doesn't mean that ~virtual currency~ is never going to happen but the idea that bitcoin can scale to anything beyond "hosed up weirdo enthusiasts" is laughable

virtual currency is already happening dude. it's called USD and anytime somebody buys a game on Steam with a credit/debit card they're using it as a virtual currency.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 20, 2015

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah I can see new kinds of electronic currency developing some time after bitcoin suffers it's 200th front-page-news snafu-and-ripoff dipshit rodeo and finally becomes such a joke that nobody discusses it seriously for 10 years, and eventually a new one will be developed by actual human beings who are just interested in this poo poo and are not embarrassing, mentally ill baboons

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
if i had millions in bitcoin could i even buy one house with it

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

LegoPirateNinja posted:

if i had millions in bitcoin could i even buy one house with it
You can only buy drugs or guns, so I guess technically you could buy a bunch of guns and drugs and hope none of them get traced or intercepted and then you'd have to turn around and sell all those drugs and guns somehow all while evading police detection and then you could take that cash and buy a house maybe.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

virtual currency is already happening dude. it's called USD and anytime somebody buys a game on Steam with a credit/debit card they're using it as a virtual currency.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to wrap their heads around. I have these electronic pips on a bank mainframe. They represent my checking acct. balance. I send them to Chase via the internet to pay off my credit card that I used to buy gas for my car. No actual green, paper dollars ever changed hands. Everything was virtual.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

they said the same thing about my mlm, yet i'm now raking in thousands of dollars. why not join in, friend? the profits are only going up Up UP!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
what about MTG cards

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Time to put on my google glasses to purchase an occulus rift with my bitcoin

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i have no idea how to buy a bitcoin, and i don't know what to do with a 0,00000001 bitcoin.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

BigBoss posted:

I don't know why this is so hard for people to wrap their heads around. I have these electronic pips on a bank mainframe. They represent my checking acct. balance. I send them to Chase via the internet to pay off my credit card that I used to buy gas for my car. No actual green, paper dollars ever changed hands. Everything was virtual.

Yep. Like maybe there's a use for currency that literally doesn't have any existence in the real world at all but it sure doesn't seem like there's any that don't just end up looking like pointless bullshit or a scam; USD on the other hand is much more versatile since it works just as well both as regular greenbacks and digits in a mainframe.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Until Bitcoin is accepted by someone who doesn't have as assbergers it will never be legit.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
like dogecoin

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
that baby looks like the manager of a grocery store

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
baby?? Isn't that Wallace Shawn?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Yep. Like maybe there's a use for currency that literally doesn't have any existence in the real world at all but it sure doesn't seem like there's any that don't just end up looking like pointless bullshit or a scam; USD on the other hand is much more versatile since it works just as well both as regular greenbacks and digits in a mainframe.

i don't think cash is the reason dollars are useful. i mean they provide a means to conduct transactions anonymously but so does bitcoin. the real reason is that you have to pay taxes in dollars.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

there should be a state encrypted currency with each unit of currency keyed by a central agency. every unit of currency has to phone home to a centralized state database and maintain conection, itd be entirely digital. that way all trade can be tracked and taxed

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

you could have a digital currency where every single transaction, a percentage is funneled to the state. this is my dream and i hope to see it realized

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TEAYCHES posted:

there should be a state encrypted currency with each unit of currency keyed by a central agency. every unit of currency has to phone home to a centralized state database and maintain conection, itd be entirely digital. that way all trade can be tracked and taxed

unless you trade with bottle caps. checkmate, big gov

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I saw a bar in Vegas that let you pay with bitcoin. That is my only experience with bitcoin. Thanks for reading.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TEAYCHES posted:

you could have a digital currency where every single transaction, a percentage is funneled to the state. this is my dream and i hope to see it realized

nice job owning all the people who make a living collecting tips under the table at their lovely service job

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

nice job owning all the people who make a living collecting tips under the table at their lovely service job

with all this extra revenue we can pay them a living wage

or buy like 50 more f-35s

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

esn2500 posted:

B.R.E.A.M.

Get the virtual money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCDifG3zQc

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
poo poo a dick

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

99 Headmates posted:

[video type="youtu"]bZCDifG3zQc[/video]

way to gently caress up that post idiot

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Concerned Citizen posted:

unless you trade with bottle caps. checkmate, big gov

any contact with unauthorized currency will alert your iWatch people's bracelet and the proper authorities would be notified

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Concerned Citizen posted:

or buy like 50 more f-35s

this one sounds cool as poo poo, other option sounds boring

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I was going to buy bitcoins at one point and then I learned you had to meet in person to buy bitcoins. How the gently caress does that make sense? Let's take this virtual currency, but to get some you have to leave the internet and go to some dude's house with cash? Fuckin sketchy.

Oh I think I was only supposed to do that because I wanted to buy drugs with them. Didn't get that far though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

its going to be my lifes work to reverse the dream of bitcoin and create a digital currency enthralled to the new world order

• Locked thread