Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Was Taters posted:

I expect that dude to serve his suspension in the stands like a good boy. Not out fishing.

When did Beckerman get suspended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So let's talk about this. If the USSF is as awesome and hilarious as I think they are, they won't move poo poo and force SJ, NJ and LA to forfeit their potential quarterfinal matches.

http://wpo.st/LGTO0

quote:

On Feb. 4, the U.S. Soccer Federation announced the calendar for the 102nd annual U.S. Open Cup, a tournament with rich tradition but growing pains since MLS’s participation began in 1996.

This summer, MLS clubs joined the fray in the fourth round. Almost all of them advanced. And with victories this week, teams will move to the quarterfinals July 21 or 22.

In May, the New York Red Bulls announced they would host Premier League champion Chelsea in the glittery, but inconsequential, International Champions Cup. The date: July 22.

Meantime, the Los Angeles Galaxy agreed to an ICC match (i.e. jersey-selling ploy) against FC Barcelona at the Rose Bowl. The date: July 21.

And the San Jose Earthquakes said it would play an ICC game (re: Euro training camp) against Manchester United in Berkeley. The date: July 21.

This week, the Red Bulls will host the second-division New York Cosmos and the Galaxy will visit San Jose. Hence, up to two teams threaten to put the U.S. Soccer Federation, which administers the tournament, in a tight spot.

Would the USSF play hardball and force them to choose between the Open Cup and a profitable pseudo-tournament? A sellout crowd is expected to watch the UEFA Champions League winners in preseason, while the Earthquakes will draw a big audience for the visiting Red Devils. (It should be noted the USSF receives a revenue cut from international matches played in the United States.)

Or will the federation adjust the calendar to accommodate the silly matches? Remember: The Open Cup dates were set long before the ICC and, regardless of what you think of the Open Cup, the games count.

The Red Bulls might have more leverage because they are designated to host D.C. United or the Philadelphia Union at Red Bull Arena (should they oust the Cosmos). But a Galaxy victory would send the MLS Cup champions to Portland or Real Salt Lake.

In all scenarios, potential Open Cup opponents have their own timetables; they have been planning to play July 21-22. They didn’t schedule ICC games or international friendlies.

Some may not have a problem adjusting the schedule. Others, depending on the new date, might have a legitimate beef.

At the moment, the USSF says: “We are reviewing the situation. We will announce the exact schedule for the quarterfinal round later in the week.”

Now, should the USSF (or MLS) provide flexibility on scheduling matters? Absolutely — when there is a conflict involving real competition.

For instance, MLS was willing to postpone Montreal Impact early-season matches in order to allow the club to better prepare for the late stages of the CONCACAF Champions League, an official tournament. The Impact’s MLS opponents were inconvenienced but they understood it was for a greater purpose.

In scheduling matches on dates they knew could conflict with the Open Cup, the Galaxy, Earthquakes and Red Bulls chose compensation over competition. That’s fine. But the clubs should also prepare themselves for the consequences: use split squads for matches on the same day; use mixed lineups for matches on consecutive days; cancel the friendlies; or forfeit the Open Cup.

In reality, MLS teams do not have enough depth for two squads, and frankly, that would be farcical; also, the Red Bulls would have stadium issues. Playing on back-to-back days violates MLS’s collective bargaining agreement. There’s too much money at stake — and business reputations and contracts to uphold — to cancel the friendlies. And forfeiture of official competition is poor form.

Inevitably, the USSF (backed by MLS muscle) will have to move the quarterfinal date involving the Galaxy or Earthquakes earlier or later on the calendar.

And quietly hope the Cosmos help alleviate one of the looming conflicts.

So I'm really looking forward to the quarterfinals now! Either I get a road trip to Strong Island, or the team I like goes directly to the final four. I like this.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
What a bunch of maroons. You'd think they'd schedule these friendlies better, wouldn't you?

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Has a team ever played two matches in two different cities in the same day before? I want to see the Red Bulls field their first team in the ICC, and send a team of reserve players and front office ticket reps to play a USOC match against Orlando or whoever.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I really, really hope they force them to pick one match or the other.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So let's talk about this. If the USSF is as awesome and hilarious as I think they are, they won't move poo poo and force SJ, NJ and LA to forfeit their potential quarterfinal matches.

http://wpo.st/LGTO0

So I'm really looking forward to the quarterfinals now! Either I get a road trip to Strong Island, or the team I like goes directly to the final four. I like this.

You know they'll just let those teams move their USOC game to the following Tuesday or whatever.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Xylorjax posted:

You know they'll just let those teams move their USOC game to the following Tuesday or whatever.

Why wouldn't they? USOC is less important than those friendlies.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Round 5 starts tomorrow, with all matches streaming on YouTube!

6/30

Philadelphia Union vs. D.C. United
Orlando City SC vs. Columbus Crew SC
Chicago Fire vs. Charlotte Independence
Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids

7/1

Red Bull New York vs. New York Cosmos
Sporting Kansas City vs. FC Dallas
Real Salt Lake vs. Portland Timbers
San Jose Earthquakes vs. Los Angeles Galaxy

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Go Charlotte/Cosmos, go anarchy

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'll be on a riverboat cruise instead of watching at Toyota Park, but I really hope the Fire can win and salvage something from this poo poo-rear end season.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
This is moot since the cosmos are going to win tomorrow.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I hate that the Fire game overlaps with the WWC match tonight. At least I can watch it online once the US game finishes.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Hungryjack posted:

Why wouldn't they? USOC is less important than those friendlies.

Exactly. Any talk about friendlies with big ticket draws being rescheduled or games being forfeited is just wishful thinking by other teams' fans. We can wish it weren't true all we want, but it is what it is.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
good luck to both the chicago sparks sc and columbus crowd sc tonight

should both win they will play each other three times over a one week span because usoc and mls scheduling is as hilarious as it is dismal/horrendous/embarrassing/appalling/terrible/shameful/regrettable/piteous

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
DC/Philly played 15 minutes, but are in a lightning delay now

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Maybe they found out the USvGER game is pretty fun and are watching that.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Under a hour from kickoff here at Toyota park with a nice cool summer night. They are showing the semi final match of the women's world cup with the worlds number 2 US taking on worlds number 1 Germany which is the 5th time ever happening in the women world cup I remember reading right. This is great as I can save on data on my phone but this isn't why me and a few other people are here tonight.

We are here tonight to watch our Fire take on the 3rd division side Charlotte Independent in the round of 16 of the US Open Cup. Normally the game would be a no brainer and the Fire should win this game with little or no trouble. But the Fire so far as shown they no trouble playing horrible and giving the opponent chances to beat them. As seen in their last open cup game they needed extra time to score the goal and at the depths of extra time too.

So while the Fire should win this game I wouldn't be surprised if they win again in underperforming fashion or even lose. Since the magic of cup was bearly used last round am hoping it used at the New York Derby this round and not here tonight.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
They're squeegeeing the field at PPL and this is my favorite game in years

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Looks like PPL is still pretty flooded in the middle on the pitch. On the other hand, this stream is 480p so it's hard to see anything in detail. US Soccer, woo!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Ugggggh Aguilar how did you not even get that on frame you rear end in a top hat!!!!!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
GOAL LINE TECHNOLOGY NOW

How the gently caress did that not go in

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Straight red to CJ Sapong! For... something? I have no idea, but I'll take it

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Gooooooooaaaaaaaaaallll Jairo Arrieta!!!! DC's gotta win now. I'm gonna stop posting now cause I'm the only person in this thread

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
5 Mins in and the Fire are already losing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The US is going to the finals, might as well switch over to see how the Fire are... OH gently caress WHAT THE HELL.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
This is gonna be a big buzzkill after the women's game isn't it?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Holy poo poo Andrew Wenger was just 1 on 1 with the keeper... and his shot hit BOTH POSTS before bouncing out for a clearance. Philly is cursed, or DC is blessed. Either way, hail satan and vamos United.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Moike Magee FTW

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

In the 37 min Magee finally got his first goal in over a year. 1 - 1

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Philly and Chicago score to tie their games at 1-1 at like the exact same time. Satan you are failing me!!!!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
After that USWNT game, watching DC United B v. 10-man Philly in a downpour is pretty brutal.

Cmon you fuckers score a goal it's just Philly.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

Cmon you fuckers score a goal it's just Philly.

Why are you quoting me from a week ago?

:negative:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Fucitol posted:

good luck to both the chicago sparks sc and columbus crowd sc tonight

should both win they will play each other three times over a one week span because usoc and mls scheduling is as hilarious as it is dismal/horrendous/embarrassing/appalling/terrible/shameful/regrettable/piteous

Considering the rivalry between the teams, this would actually be cool.

Mike Magee got a very Mike Magee goal to tie it.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
DC no what are you doing it's Philly for fucks sake and they're down a man!!!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
lmao DC United B sucks.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

In the 49 min Plamer hits a awesome should from a rebounded corner kick to put the Fire up 2 -1.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Lovell Palmer scores a weird goal against a third division club in a stadium with about 30 people in it.

Your 2015 Chicago Fire!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Well that was extremely disappointing from DC. They better crush Seattle on Friday or I'm gonna be real upset.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

camoseven posted:

Well that was extremely disappointing from DC. They better crush Seattle on Friday or I'm gonna be real upset.

Eh, DC played Jalen Robinson, Jared Jeffrey, and other random roster fodder. Yeah, 10-man Philly is basically a USL squad, but oh well. Still top of the league by a lot. Not too concerned here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Fire announcer is all

"Lovell, Jamaican the crowd go wild!"

:smuggo:

• Locked thread