Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I desperately yearn for a bracket on pairings and will attempt to watch one (1) First Round match near me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

CaptainYesterday posted:

That would be Reading United A.C. at Maryland Bays, in Towson, Maryland.

I will attend.

I challenge all North Americans to do the same for their local side. You haven't lived until you've rooted for poo poo soccer with twelve people.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Up The Harpos

Mods please rename me

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Let's move to a winter schedule.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Up the Riverhounds. I could stand for a shorter road trip.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
USL supremacy.....?!?

Also get in the car. I'm going to Pittsburgh. I'm looking forward to that drive, and also that stadium.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I love the Open Cup. It's the best.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC bring the bench as a starting XI, only three subs and a backup GK, still beat Pittsburgh 3-1 AET once Nick DeLeon enters. Highmark Stadium is a lovely USL stadium. Shame about the turf.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Regional pairings are out. Chicago and Columbus are in the South bracket, because lol, and could have to travel to Orlando or Charlotte. The East is an I-95 affair, with DC, NYCosmos, NJ and PHI.

God, I hope DC draws the Cosmos. Two most decorated teams on the continent fighting for a trophy? Hell yea.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Let's all poo poo on Orlando.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Hungryjack posted:

The continent's a big place.

Pretend I linked Nic Cage yelling gently caress MEXICO

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So let's talk about this. If the USSF is as awesome and hilarious as I think they are, they won't move poo poo and force SJ, NJ and LA to forfeit their potential quarterfinal matches.

http://wpo.st/LGTO0

quote:

On Feb. 4, the U.S. Soccer Federation announced the calendar for the 102nd annual U.S. Open Cup, a tournament with rich tradition but growing pains since MLS’s participation began in 1996.

This summer, MLS clubs joined the fray in the fourth round. Almost all of them advanced. And with victories this week, teams will move to the quarterfinals July 21 or 22.

In May, the New York Red Bulls announced they would host Premier League champion Chelsea in the glittery, but inconsequential, International Champions Cup. The date: July 22.

Meantime, the Los Angeles Galaxy agreed to an ICC match (i.e. jersey-selling ploy) against FC Barcelona at the Rose Bowl. The date: July 21.

And the San Jose Earthquakes said it would play an ICC game (re: Euro training camp) against Manchester United in Berkeley. The date: July 21.

This week, the Red Bulls will host the second-division New York Cosmos and the Galaxy will visit San Jose. Hence, up to two teams threaten to put the U.S. Soccer Federation, which administers the tournament, in a tight spot.

Would the USSF play hardball and force them to choose between the Open Cup and a profitable pseudo-tournament? A sellout crowd is expected to watch the UEFA Champions League winners in preseason, while the Earthquakes will draw a big audience for the visiting Red Devils. (It should be noted the USSF receives a revenue cut from international matches played in the United States.)

Or will the federation adjust the calendar to accommodate the silly matches? Remember: The Open Cup dates were set long before the ICC and, regardless of what you think of the Open Cup, the games count.

The Red Bulls might have more leverage because they are designated to host D.C. United or the Philadelphia Union at Red Bull Arena (should they oust the Cosmos). But a Galaxy victory would send the MLS Cup champions to Portland or Real Salt Lake.

In all scenarios, potential Open Cup opponents have their own timetables; they have been planning to play July 21-22. They didn’t schedule ICC games or international friendlies.

Some may not have a problem adjusting the schedule. Others, depending on the new date, might have a legitimate beef.

At the moment, the USSF says: “We are reviewing the situation. We will announce the exact schedule for the quarterfinal round later in the week.”

Now, should the USSF (or MLS) provide flexibility on scheduling matters? Absolutely — when there is a conflict involving real competition.

For instance, MLS was willing to postpone Montreal Impact early-season matches in order to allow the club to better prepare for the late stages of the CONCACAF Champions League, an official tournament. The Impact’s MLS opponents were inconvenienced but they understood it was for a greater purpose.

In scheduling matches on dates they knew could conflict with the Open Cup, the Galaxy, Earthquakes and Red Bulls chose compensation over competition. That’s fine. But the clubs should also prepare themselves for the consequences: use split squads for matches on the same day; use mixed lineups for matches on consecutive days; cancel the friendlies; or forfeit the Open Cup.

In reality, MLS teams do not have enough depth for two squads, and frankly, that would be farcical; also, the Red Bulls would have stadium issues. Playing on back-to-back days violates MLS’s collective bargaining agreement. There’s too much money at stake — and business reputations and contracts to uphold — to cancel the friendlies. And forfeiture of official competition is poor form.

Inevitably, the USSF (backed by MLS muscle) will have to move the quarterfinal date involving the Galaxy or Earthquakes earlier or later on the calendar.

And quietly hope the Cosmos help alleviate one of the looming conflicts.

So I'm really looking forward to the quarterfinals now! Either I get a road trip to Strong Island, or the team I like goes directly to the final four. I like this.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
They're squeegeeing the field at PPL and this is my favorite game in years

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
What a crazy night that was in Chester. Three separate powerful rain storms, the third hitting as we walked out. Philly finally getting a taste of being on the right end of a short handed comeback. The reminder that Olsen's philosophy is still rooted solely in underdog status and personal creativity. He doesn't know how to coach to an advantage.

And oh my god the double goalpost rejection. I'll never see that again in my lifetime, and I saw it soaked to the bone on a Tuesday night.

Further reminder to all: take a trip to PPL if you can. The fans are actually really nice. Met a union brother from Atlantic City and we talked shop during the lightning delay. And the SoB who tried using the water fountain, saw it overshoot the drain, and started screaming to everyone OH MY GOD THE WATER ISNT EVEN ON FRAME HERE sorta brought it all home.

Go Philly from here on in. That allocation money will change your life. And it's fun to have a two-hour rival that I just LIKE.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

2-1 Red Bulls at the half. Best game of the round so far, I think.

Bullshit. Call me when someone rattles both posts in a single shot.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

You're "friendly rivalry" post made me sick to my stomach you son of a bitch.

I'm less inclined to like your team solely on the basis of having to traverse the entire turnpike to see your team

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Also lol Timbers

E: holy gently caress that's some racism on that Goal Gong

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 2, 2015

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
gently caress every team that isn't mine and go Philly to spite you all in order (NJ, then CHI/ORL, then the entire west)

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Yall are missing a party in Salt Lake

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Also Joao Plata looks like a guy who took steroids while trapped in a coffee can

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
And Rowe is doing some Dirty Jobs in goal for LA.

Right until that moment. gently caress THE loving GALAXY HAVE YOU EVER SEEN GERRARD WIN THE CUP

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
gently caress THE loving JERSEY FUCKS UNTKL THEY BLEED TO DEATH

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Seriously you're a man up with THAT squad against THIS Union side and you concede on the basis of a complete disinterest in defending

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Active meltdown live on YouTube. So good. The Red Bulls Will Never Win Anything

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Did...did the Union just hit both posts again??

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
That there's some bullshit

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Big John McCarthy is bad at goalkeeping.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Aristegueta is easily the Union's best player right now. And the Philly defending is atrocious, with all these players handling things a yard and a half from the loving goal

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Fun game. Lots of thrills. Union might bullshit their way to the Cup yet.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So the CBA forbidding the 24-hour turnaround means the RBNY players are getting penalty pay out the rear end, right?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
"Lol"

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Fred.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Jersey Will Never Win Trophies

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

kami posted:

gently caress the pink cows

Don't do this.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Akileese posted:

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...but the way this team systemically crushes the souls of their fan base really makes me believe in demons and witch craft. It's like they're harvesting our misery for some higher purpose.

Mainly its for the joy of every man, woman and child in DC.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Joe Willis, you are not forgotten

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I missed the goal. Can I say Get hosed SKC?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Oh holy poo poo Joe Willis the PK stuffing God

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Those cards were surprisingly reasonable given the handbags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003