Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

RBA Starblade posted:

Also I think the Pride of Hiigara needed something to break up its design, the Kushan banana looks way better because of the top part, imo.

I'm of the opposite opinion and like the Kushan Banana 2.0 better than the 1.0 version. The time between the two motherships shows a transition from novice spacefaring to those that have been doing it for some time - namely an exposed bridge structure. The changes make it look like they changed from a bridge area that gave fleet command a panoramic view of the immediate battlefield to a hardened bunker that's harder to breach and would not result in a catastrophic crew loss. Of course the same cannot be said for frigates and other capital ships - they still have the exposed bridge structure somewhere on the ship. In terms of human(oid) evolution, the transition from blue to black water navy will make builders think twice about an exposed bridge structure. You see this a lot in space animes especially Gundam.

I know this isn't the real reason why the ship changed in the sequel, but I like to think it is. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's never explained in game how she's still alive 100 years later either but that's also because of the core.

Actually it's implied as a consequence of her being hooked up to the mothership in the first place. Being wetware for giant ships apparently causes weird things to people's biology (see the Bentusi.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's been a while since I read that, my bad.

quote:

I know this isn't the real reason why the ship changed in the sequel, but I like to think it is.

Uparmoring the top half (and bottom, if you look around the brown bits on either side) is fine and all like in Battlestar Galactica, it's just a personal matter of aesthetics. Kind of like the Taiidan corvettes and fighters having wings in space. :v:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it should be talked about or not. But it's important to note that what makes it important is that the core forms perfect hyperspace waveforms. So if it can be powered enough, it can go from any point to any other point in a single jump. The entire Homeworld game would have been done in one jump, except the original Mothership didn't have the power to do it properly.

That's why the fleet based around the Mothership is such a big thing. Because they can organize a fleet around the Mothership, and drop it literally anywhere. I think it's also much harder to stop a jump with the Mothership. Standard Hyperspace Inhibitors might not be able to block its jumps. I'm not 100% sure on that one, since this game was a long time ago for me, but it makes the Mothership fleet a nearly unstoppable strikeforce which can attack anywhere at any time with no warning.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I'd have to dig up the info from the strat book but IIRC having the mothership with the Core was the major portion of how they achieved hegemony over the previous centuries that they had an Empire. Basically they had a smaller fleet when you put it together, but it could outclass almost anyone because they could choose their battles and show up out of nowhere. They ended up falling from grace because EVERYONE ganged up on them and the Bentusi decided to help out. They managed to figure out a trap and snarl the Hiigaran fleet in a massive fleet of their own barely winning, with the Hiigaran leadership deciding to abandon the battle and making a quick jump to hyperspace that landed them on Hiigara's moon. They retrieved the Core and smuggled it into exile with them and the Bentusi decided to disarm because they were so horrified at how the other nations (I guess we'll call em nations) dealt with the Hiigaran's after victory. It was even worse than it should have been because the Hiigaran's didn't give up the drive Core and said that it was lost on the moon, causing the Taidani to pitch a fit.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Calax posted:

I'd have to dig up the info from the strat book but IIRC having the mothership with the Core was the major portion of how they achieved hegemony over the previous centuries that they had an Empire. Basically they had a smaller fleet when you put it together, but it could outclass almost anyone because they could choose their battles and show up out of nowhere. They ended up falling from grace because EVERYONE ganged up on them and the Bentusi decided to help out. They managed to figure out a trap and snarl the Hiigaran fleet in a massive fleet of their own barely winning, with the Hiigaran leadership deciding to abandon the battle and making a quick jump to hyperspace that landed them on Hiigara's moon. They retrieved the Core and smuggled it into exile with them and the Bentusi decided to disarm because they were so horrified at how the other nations (I guess we'll call em nations) dealt with the Hiigaran's after victory. It was even worse than it should have been because the Hiigaran's didn't give up the drive Core and said that it was lost on the moon, causing the Taidani to pitch a fit.

It's a long, long story about what happened, but basically it went like this: The Hiigarans and the Taiidani were at war. The Galactic Council was massively corrupt, and the Taiidani used that to bribe the members on it to declare that the war must end and Hiigara must give all the desputed territory to the Taiidani and agree to all the Taiidani terms. The Hiigarans found the second core, and went, "gently caress that," and launched a surprise attack on the Taiidani homeworld. They crippled the Taiidani shipyards and then zoomed away, leaving the Taiidani unable to produce ships to continue fighting with.

In response, the Taiidani went to their shills on the Galactic Council and got them to demand the total, unconditional surrender of Hiigara. At the time, the Bentusi were the muscle for the council, and the only other ones with a long-jump core like the Hiigaran had, so the Hiigaran reasoned that if they crippled the Bentusi fleet, nobody else would have the balls to gently caress with them anymore. So they agreed to surrender their fleet, but only to the Bentusi. The Bentusi showed up, the Hiigarans jumped them, but couldn't quite overpower them and got wiped out.

And, well, you know the rest from Homeworld.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

That's Right... it was the Bentusi who were trying to play muscle with a long jump core even though their fleet wasn't quite powerful enough to win a heads up battle.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Oh godS'Jet, I don't know if there's enough time in the campaign to cover all the stupid history, bad retcons and mystical mumbo-jumbo we're going to come across.

I may have to save it for a skirmish video where we can give it a proper MST3K/RiffTrax treatment.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

berryjon posted:

Oh godS'Jet, I don't know if there's enough time in the campaign to cover all the stupid history, bad retcons and mystical mumbo-jumbo we're going to come across.

I may have to save it for a skirmish video where we can give it a proper MST3K/RiffTrax treatment.

Do you want me to transcribe the stuff from the back of the strat guide?

And for the record, yes, a lot of the back story didn't get tossed into the manual... or the ingame anything... It was place in the loving strategy guide.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

berryjon posted:

Just do less jump cuts :D

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Rick_Hunter posted:

I'm of the opposite opinion and like the Kushan Banana 2.0 better than the 1.0 version. The time between the two motherships shows a transition from novice spacefaring to those that have been doing it for some time - namely an exposed bridge structure. The changes make it look like they changed from a bridge area that gave fleet command a panoramic view of the immediate battlefield to a hardened bunker that's harder to breach and would not result in a catastrophic crew loss. Of course the same cannot be said for frigates and other capital ships - they still have the exposed bridge structure somewhere on the ship. In terms of human(oid) evolution, the transition from blue to black water navy will make builders think twice about an exposed bridge structure. You see this a lot in space animes especially Gundam.

I know this isn't the real reason why the ship changed in the sequel, but I like to think it is. :unsmith:

Hell, even today, any combat ship large enough to support one has a CIC where battle is conducted from. It has all the capabilities of the bridge as well as an enhanced suite of command and control consoles and sensor displays. Plus, it's typically within the most armored part of the ship.

But, that isn't very stylish, so you're pretty much always going to see beams and pew pews and robot fists smashing bridge glass and atomizing captains when you watch your anime space operas.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It always bugged how the crew transports bunched up after docking with the Banana2.0. How hard would have been to have the ships move slightly away and in a formation with eachother?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Raygereio posted:

It always bugged how the crew transports bunched up after docking with the Banana2.0. How hard would have been to have the ships move slightly away and in a formation with eachother?
I think in the remake they changed it so they just hyperspaced to a compact formation next to the mothership, then hyperspaced out when you finished the mission or something.

It does make you wonder why they couldn't just jump to the mothership directly though

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Alavaria posted:

I think in the remake they changed it so they just hyperspaced to a compact formation next to the mothership, then hyperspaced out when you finished the mission or something.

It does make you wonder why they couldn't just jump to the mothership directly though

I think the idea was something along the lines of mass shadows blocking quantum waveform... something something.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I'm pretty sure the script is bugged and Relic just never bothered to fix it. Most of their meager patch support was put into multiplayer balancing, IIRC.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

The Casualty posted:

I'm pretty sure the script is bugged and Relic just never bothered to fix it. Most of their meager patch support was put into multiplayer balancing, IIRC.

Yeah it bears repeating this is not the game Relic wanted to do, it was the game they had the time and support to do.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else like some of the ship captains have crossed from "cool professionalism" to "falling asleep at your station?"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is it just me or does it seem to anyone else like some of the ship captains have crossed from "cool professionalism" to "falling asleep at your station?"

I noticed that too. Somewhat of a apathetic fatalism.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For a named character, Soban is certainly very bored. Also his fleet sucks.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I know!

It's made of frigates.

Let's be honest here. After Cataclysm, everything is a step down in the voice department.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Your quote makes me think of Captain Soban being voiced by this guy:

Captain Sour Bill posted:

The Vaygr are probably headed for the Homeworld... We'll try to draw them off... I guess...

Sounds the same in your head, doesn't it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's only so many times the frigate captains can say 'breach in starboard fusion chamber' before they realize there will never not be a breach in there.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Now, to be fair, there was that one time... in drydock.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Maybe after Kiith Sommtaw's success, their people had a lot of success finding mates and creating the next generation of starfarers. Especially the Worker. He got around.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

The Casualty posted:

Maybe after Kiith Sommtaw's success, their people had a lot of success finding mates and creating the next generation of starfarers. Especially the Worker. He got around.

Well, Cataclysm isn't considered Canon by the Relic crew so not likely.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Koorisch posted:

As far as I'm concerned, all the other Kiith are getting their poo poo shoved in, while Somtaaw's sector is being blanketed in siege cannon blasts, which is keeping it quite clear of Vagyr and Imperialist remnants.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Kibayasu posted:

Also, isn't Soban the name of an entire Kiith?

That always confused me. Is Captain Soban their king or something? If so, why doesn't he have a Battlecruiser?

Sel Nar posted:

As far as I'm concerned, all the other Kiith are getting their poo poo shoved in, while Somtaaw's sector is being blanketed in siege cannon blasts, which is keeping it quite clear of Vagyr and Imperialist remnants.

Somtaaw is the only reason Hiigara held out as long as they did. I don't care what the canon says. The cannon says otherwise.

By the way, the Playable Somtaaw mod for Homeworld Remastered has hit version 1.0. Go grab it!

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Inglonias posted:

That always confused me. Is Captain Soban their king or something? If so, why doesn't he have a Battlecruiser?

Not really. Remember, the Hiigaran culture is one of clans. 'Soban' is a Kiith name, and would take the place of a western-style 'family' name. Calling him Captain Soban is akin to addressing him as "Captain of the Kiith Soban (and we respect in a professional manner your position and your Kiith more than your personal name)". Of course, it's more likely that the Dev Team on HW2 just grabbed a name out of the background and stuffed it in without considering what they were doing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Little known fact but Captain Soban is just the Hiigaran version of captain america.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He calls the fleet 'Sobani' immediately after so I think it's obvious what he means. And remember, Soban is the mercenary Kiith, that you're never born into, you have to renounce your old family ties. And they never give up until their contract is done.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Koorisch posted:

Understood... Harvesting...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Maybe his parents were really uncreative.

So his full name would be Captain Soban Soban.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Maybe his parents were really uncreative.

So his full name would be Captain Soban Soban.

Major Major Major Major.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inglonias posted:

I thought only the ruling family of the Kiith had the actual Kiith's name as their last name and everyone else was just affiliated through marriage or allegiance?

I always figured Captain Soban was like some low-rung relative in the core Soban family. Like the 7th or 8th son of the Kiith-Sa's patriarch or his 8th or 9th nephew from like the 6th brother or something and thereby "okay" to be out there in space commanding a starship and acting with the authority of the Kiith while not putting the Kiith-Sa succession in any real jeopardy if he died. Like Saudi Royal family type poo poo.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought only the ruling family of the Kiith had the actual Kiith's name as their last name and everyone else was just affiliated through marriage or allegiance?

I always figured Captain Soban was like some low-rung relative in the core Soban family. Like the 7th or 8th son of the Kiith-Sa's patriarch or his 8th or 9th nephew from like the 6th brother or something and thereby "okay" to be out there in space commanding a starship and acting with the authority of the Kiith while not putting the Kiith-Sa succession in any real jeopardy if he died. Like Saudi Royal family type poo poo.

Kinda like in Battletech, where you might run into some mid-level mechwarrior named Steiner or Davion, who has a royal last name but is actually just some 10th-level cousin so far removed from the throne that he's only capable of using the name to score some bonus points on his way up the chain of command.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's a typo, his name is really Sewban Soban and the Vaygr are totally interrupting his knitting break

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sel Nar posted:

Nah, the other Kiith intentionally didn't invite Kiith Somtaaw because they knew Somtaaw would've had the war against the Vaygr wrapped up by noon that same day, and they didn't want to get embarrassed again. By the time they realized they needed Kiith Somtaaw, it was too late to call them in.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

This line of discussion will get even more hilarious about half-way through the campaign. Keep it going!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Nah, the other Kiith intentionally didn't invite Kiith Somtaaw because they knew Somtaaw would've had the war against the Vaygr wrapped up by noon that same day, and they didn't want to get embarrassed again. By the time they realized they needed Kiith Somtaaw, it was too late to call them in.

Kiith Somtaaw: Chilling with Bentusi in that other galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

NHO posted:

Bentusi

Is it a spoiler if I say that HW2 is out to poo poo on everything from Homeworld in some way, including the Bentusi?

• Locked thread