Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, OK, hang on, let me get this totally straight.

An interceptor does 37 damage. It's shooting a frigate which has MediumArmor, so it multiplies the damage by 0.7. And that's actually working as intended? There's no bug there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fluffy Tail posted:

Is it bad that I really hope Sajuuk is actually the Beast.
Yeah, you can wish but don't expect something that good to happen in this game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

There's no crow here dude-a lot of this knowledge actually stemmed from a comment you made (in video or thread, I don't remember) during your Cataclysm play through. I was determined to find this bug you had mentioned to ensure that HW:R did not ship with such a debilitating bug it so in actuality you set all the research into motion (and in doing so made me scrutinize why frigates are so bad). They should see a significant improvement in future HW:R patches.

:narrowedeyes:

You work on Remastered?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

There's a lot wrong with this game but the new design of the Bentusi ship is not it. God drat.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Yo, I heard y'all needed some plot in this game so here it is. Peace, I'm out."

That certainly is, uh, one way to bring the Bentusi back.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't notice this my first time through HW2R. I was paying more attention to the fact that it took me four or five tries to beat this mission.

berryjon posted:

You work on Remastered?

:alsoNarrowedEyes:

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

John Liver posted:

There's a lot wrong with this game but the new design of the Bentusi ship is not it. God drat.

The base design lives on, in mass effect's relays. :v: Seconding the whole "the bentusi entrance was great but this plot...", the bit that seems really jarring is that there's no one going "wait what" after the bentusi drop their prophecy thing.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh! Now that we've seen them, I'll point out that in case you were curious: Soban's ship is a modified Marine Frigate.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

berryjon posted:

You work on Remastered?

Art, so put the knives away unless you have grievances over how it looked.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

berryjon posted:

You work on Remastered?
On a completely different note weren't you going to talk about pulsar corvettes this episode? You even zoomed in and followed one for awhile.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Ship under attack.

What gets me about this line is you can hear that there are multiple variations on it ("Frigate under attack", "We're taking hits", etc) but for some reason it defaults to just a couple of different Generic Male Voices going :geno: "Ship under attack"

Polaron fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 4, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Art, so put the knives away unless you have grievances over how it looked.

I will never complain about how Remastered looked. Never.

cokerpilot posted:

On a completely different note weren't you going to talk about pulsar corvettes this episode? You even zoomed in and followed one for awhile.

I was planning on it, but the timing for what I wanted to talk about didn't quite work out. I'll try with the next mission.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Polaron posted:

What gets me about this line is you can hear that there are multiple variations on it ("Frigate under attack", "We're taking hits", etc) but for some reason it defaults to just a couple of different Generic Male Voices going :geno: "Ship under attack"

:geno: Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
When I played this game I tended to hear "Hold and engage, we've got contact" way too much for it to be a coincidence, more than Frigate Lost, but I barely hear it in your videos.

Must have something to do with me obsessively tapping keys and giving redundant orders :v:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Man, the whole prophesy poo poo aside, what the hell happened to the Bentusi's voices?
Where is the echoing reverb? The gravitas? And how the hell did a fleet that we are expected to beat, manage to destroy all but one of them? The Hiigarans still can't figure out the super acolytes! Otherwise those would have become standard. There is no way they wouldn't have.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Apart from the duuumb adaptive difficulty thing, the really dumb thing about this mission was how quickly they dumped the whole 'Chosen One' thing upon you. In Cataclysm, they had entire missions to establish the Beast. Here, it's "Hey guys Destiny has chosen you as its newest Pokemon kay peace out bai". It just comes out of left field.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Dabir posted:

So, OK, hang on, let me get this totally straight.

An interceptor does 37 damage. It's shooting a frigate which has MediumArmor, so it multiplies the damage by 0.7. And that's actually working as intended? There's no bug there?

Yep. That's an oversimplified slice of the whole, but yeah the math is solid and you can follow the damage all the way through the chain.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

berryjon posted:

The retcon in HW2, and moved into the HW1 Manual for Remastered is that the Khar-Toba's Core was extracted and put into the Mothership as-is. No reverse engineering. No taking it apart to carefully study how it works to build the theory that would allow them to build smaller cores. No building a x12 scale model of the Khar-Toba's FTL engine to install in the massively larger Mothership.

Also even with that explanation, the Second Core would've been "discovered" when the Khar-Toba was goddamn built, unless they also retconned the Khar-Toba into not actually being a Hiigaran evacuation vessel at all.

Ilanin posted:

edit: and of course in Cataclysm there's the line "we're headed back to Hiigara, making maximum range hyperspace jumps" with the implication being they'll need several, which is definitely not how the Mothership worked in the original. There's a lot to object to in HW2's plot, but the Mothership's hyperdrive being special is actually one of the things that makes a certain amount of sense.

If that wasn't how the Mothership worked in the original, they would've just popped up on Hiigara after the first couple of missions. There are plenty of times where the Mothership stops in space for reasons other than various interdicting phenomena. It's pretty clear that even the Mothership's hyperspace drive had limitations in the original game.

Falcorum posted:

Seconding the whole "the bentusi entrance was great but this plot...", the bit that seems really jarring is that there's no one going "wait what" after the bentusi drop their prophecy thing.

Yeah, one of the really jarring things about HW2's plot is that at a lot of points the Mothership fleet just does things because. They never really had much of a plan until this point, like, what were they even really going to do? Rally allies? Gather a fleet and strike at the back of Makaan's lines? Now suddenly there's a prophecy that they can potentially use to win but... unless they already knew of that sort of thing beforehand, what was the point of the whole "rebuilding the mothership"-plot anyway?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In the original they had no idea what they were doing, they were dropping out of hyperspace by killing power to the thing when they guesstimated they'd gone far enough.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Tail posted:

Is it bad that I really hope Sajuuk is actually the Beast.
You wish.
edit: Christ, I forgot about that one. How does it feel to know that He is actually a captain in Higaaran fleet?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 4, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PurpleXVI posted:

Also even with that explanation, the Second Core would've been "discovered" when the Khar-Toba was goddamn built, unless they also retconned the Khar-Toba into not actually being a Hiigaran evacuation vessel at all.

Not to mention we see one of the Khar-Toba's sister ships, recognized as being the same design, not to mention flashbacks to the whole exodus. I suppose they could have limited the Khar-Toba to the same regular jumps as the rest of the fleet, but still.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, one of the really jarring things about HW2's plot is that at a lot of points the Mothership fleet just does things because. They never really had much of a plan until this point, like, what were they even really going to do? Rally allies? Gather a fleet and strike at the back of Makaan's lines? Now suddenly there's a prophecy that they can potentially use to win but... unless they already knew of that sort of thing beforehand, what was the point of the whole "rebuilding the mothership"-plot anyway?

My memories of this game are a little vague, but it felt like the first half of the plot was extremely lazy and the second half was just completely strange and nonsensical, like a written after a drugs trip, as if they'd hot boxed the writers room or something.

Dabir posted:

In the original they had no idea what they were doing, they were dropping out of hyperspace by killing power to the thing when they guesstimated they'd gone far enough.

This is the impression I got too. They were planning to do a series of short range jumps to test the Mothership, and well the Burning of Kharak nixxed that straight away so they had to gtfo real quick.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Please see my giant expository text dump from the back of the strat guide on the other page. The retcon was that instead of just building and upscaling the entire system, they simply upscaled the power conduits etc around the core because that stuff on the Khar Toba wreck was built for a much more efficient power plant. AND it wasn't even supposed to be on the Khar Toba in the first place, it was basically smuggled onto the ship, with their jumps making it look like they were using smaller drives.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Calax posted:

Please see my giant expository text dump from the back of the strat guide on the other page. The retcon was that instead of just building and upscaling the entire system, they simply upscaled the power conduits etc around the core because that stuff on the Khar Toba wreck was built for a much more efficient power plant. AND it wasn't even supposed to be on the Khar Toba in the first place, it was basically smuggled onto the ship, with their jumps making it look like they were using smaller drives.

I thought the whole point of the original Hiigaran exodus was that they weren't allowed to use warp jumps and the entire journey was using sublight drives. :confused:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Calax posted:

It's just a bit too convenient to be believable: out of the entire exile fleet, this :sparkles:magical:sparkles: hyperdrive core is smuggled onto the one ship that succesfully completes the journey*, while the other ships in that fleet either broke down or split off to go elsewhere (like in the Garden of Kadesh).

*ok, it's possible that a few more arrived along with the Khar Toba, but still

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rick_Hunter posted:

I thought the whole point of the original Hiigaran exodus was that they weren't allowed to use warp jumps and the entire journey was using sublight drives. :confused:

It was.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

:psyduck:

What the hell were Relic thinking with that no-effort plotdump?! Seriously, it's basically Old Man Bentus pulling over to the curb in his pimped '67 Chevy Spacewagon, delivering a spiel about how Jimmy from next door is a no-goodnik and how swell it is that you socked him in the balls; oh and by the way, you are destined to mow the neighborhood lawns, 'cause your dad left you his tricked-out lawnmower. And without a further word, Old Man Bentus fucks off to Vegas, leaving you scratching your head in confusion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

inscrutable horse posted:

:psyduck:

What the hell were Relic thinking with that no-effort plotdump?! Seriously, it's basically Old Man Bentus pulling over to the curb in his pimped '67 Chevy Spacewagon, delivering a spiel about how Jimmy from next door is a no-goodnik and how swell it is that you socked him in the balls; oh and by the way, you are destined to mow the neighborhood lawns, 'cause your dad left you his tricked-out lawnmower. And without a further word, Old Man Bentus fucks off to Vegas, leaving you scratching your head in confusion.

I like how Fleet Intel just pretends he didn't hear any of that and starts talking about the shipyard.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how Fleet Intel just pretends he didn't hear any of that and starts talking about the shipyard.
"Well, that sure was a thing. Anyway, the strategic situation means the shipyard stays here while we are apparently going to gently caress off to random spots in the galaxy and leave the Homeworld in the hands of a deranged, marauding conqueror. Alert to fleet: your daily lithium dosage will be increased while we transit through hyperspace to...where the hell are we going? <indistinct mumbling> Sajuuk help us."

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

What? How would they get from Hiigara (near the very center of the galaxy) to Kharak (literally at the tail end, as Kharak is an old planet with an old star) only on sublight? It would have taken them thousands of years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RubricMarine posted:

What? How would they get from Hiigara (near the very center of the galaxy) to Kharak (literally at the tail end, as Kharak is an old planet with an old star) only on sublight? It would have taken them thousands of years.

They were on the prison ships for generations and generations and forbidden from using or developing hyperspace technology. If they could have just jumped wherever it wouldn't have been that hard to find a random planet to land on.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's missing a sense of scale here, because galaxies are HUGE. Even if the fleet was moving at precisely c in a straight line to Kharak, you're talking about a journey of tens of thousands of years to get there. I'd chalk this up to "writers have no idea how big space is" but still.

(And it'd still be possible to have FTL travel with a centuries-long exodus -- you make the jumps in small hops, it takes time between hops, you have to survey each star for habitable planets and there's a lot of barren star systems, the fleet is already falling apart and needs extended maintenance, etc.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kw0134 posted:

There's missing a sense of scale here, because galaxies are HUGE. Even if the fleet was moving at precisely c in a straight line to Kharak, you're talking about a journey of tens of thousands of years to get there. I'd chalk this up to "writers have no idea how big space is" but still.

This is the game series where despite everyone knowing not to go into a nebula after a while the Kadesh survived for four thousand years in space. You should never pay attention to scale in sci-fi.

Except in Homeworld 2, you should pay close attention to the numbers they start to throw out later on.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I wouldn't pay attention to it but the series feels like it insists on presenting this massive scale without actually comprehending what that implies, and it's bothersome in a nitpicky way. It's avoidable because you don't need to specify anything; do it like Cataclysm where you get to where you need to go at whatever arbitrary location at an arbitrary time because plot. That works fine. When you toss out numbers and start marking distances then it invites examination.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

kw0134 posted:

"Well, that sure was a thing. Anyway, the strategic situation means the shipyard stays here while we are apparently going to gently caress off to random spots in the galaxy and leave the Homeworld in the hands of a deranged, marauding conqueror. Alert to fleet: your daily lithium dosage will be increased while we transit through hyperspace to...where the hell are we going? <indistinct mumbling> Sajuuk help us."

quote:

good words about scale, distance, and proportion

Yeah, I feel like this is borderline begging the question, but Hiigara is getting nuked by a gigantic invasion fleet right now. The Vagyr are landing on smouldering, irradiated soil what used to be densely populated urban areas right now. If the war ended this second and everyone politely agreed to drop the matter and head on home, then even with space tradeTM and wizardly advanced scifi tech Hiigara would be optimistically in a Year Zero situation.

This is not an insurmountable obstacle to a really loving good story, but why oh why am I getting the feeling that the game just pretends none of the things it's said via missions and cutscenes fifteen minutes ago were said?

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
One tends to get the impression with Homeworld 2 that they made all the missions and then strung them together afterwards.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I got a major "Im Daisy!" Mario kart double dash vibe from that battle. Berryjon, perhaps your version is bugged and the placeholder audio are being played. You should check to see if the actual audio files are there!

Alternatively you splice in Wilhelm scream anytime someone says "I'm under attack"

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Okay, I'll stick around for the spectacle, but I'm gonna roll my eyes so hard at the story!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah, I feel like this is borderline begging the question, but Hiigara is getting nuked by a gigantic invasion fleet right now. The Vagyr are landing on smouldering, irradiated soil what used to be densely populated urban areas right now. If the war ended this second and everyone politely agreed to drop the matter and head on home, then even with space tradeTM and wizardly advanced scifi tech Hiigara would be optimistically in a Year Zero situation.

This is not an insurmountable obstacle to a really loving good story, but why oh why am I getting the feeling that the game just pretends none of the things it's said via missions and cutscenes fifteen minutes ago were said?

In this universe's scale, there's little a space bound fleet can do to a planet. Makan and the Vagyr don't have a stockpile of whatever the Taiidan threw down on Kharak so for all intents and purposes, it's a true siege where Hiigara is well-defended and stocked but is isolated and the Vagyr are waiting them out while banging on the walls.

Doesn't make sense at all but \/:v:\/

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I like to think the reason no one seems all that worried about the assault on Hiigara is because Kith Somtaaw is on the job and they parked a handful of multi-beam frigates in orbit.

AltaBrown posted:

Okay, I'll stick around for the spectacle, but I'm gonna roll my eyes so hard at the story!
Oh, just you wait. It's only going to go downhill.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

This is the game series where despite everyone knowing not to go into a nebula after a while the Kadesh survived for four thousand years in space.

The Kadeshi were probably sustained by either adventurers who said "A place no one returns from?! There has to be something cool there!" or traders who said "Well, if we go around this nebula we'll cut into our profit margins."

• Locked thread